ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mr Head 07-22-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Gravity must've changed over the years for me too. I can't go NEARLY as fast up a hill as I useta. Then again, I've never been a climber. :nono

S'why I started racing here:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...plwGg7clf8KuA=

NO HILLS! EVER!

M

Ah yes the track,
http://mr-head.smugmug.com/Cycling/S...V9keS-X2-1.jpg

Colorado Springs velodrome. Probably about 1989 or so.
I worked the national selection races as a sponge ref. :rofl
Nelson Vails was amazing to see a couple feet away sprinting. :eek1

Javarilla 07-22-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
:lol3 Best post here! I suspect that gravity only loves you 1 way (down). I'm right there with you.

We should share the experience of being a clydesdale with everyone...

Here, for all of you who might never have the joy of riding a clydesdale century or double century with a nicely pitched 6 or 8 mile hill, here's sorta what it's like...

First, remember, you're loaded with more water and food than anyone else because it would be kinda embarrassing to have to kill and cannibalize one of your riding mates every 20 miles or so just so you'll have enough to eat.

Second, your bike is probably way heavier than anyone else's because anything less than a tandem fork is scarier than shit downhill at 45 mph, which is where you start braking because, well, you bend steal with your bare hands for fun, and your bike is made of steel, and your imagination starts puttin' two and two together, and your hands automatically seize your brakes and torque your discs so you can stay below 46mph which is where you just know your forks will bend like string cheese. ( BTW: That screeching you hear when I'm rolling downhill, that's not from my discs. That's me squealing in terror like a 12 year old girl).

Third, you're rolling a lot more rubber, hub, wheel and spoke because, well, a pinch flat or a warped rim every 3 miles sucks. So your acceleration with each crank is pretty much always just another flat multiple of 0.

Finally, you're sporting cogs and cranks that pretty much the same size. The numbers stamped front and back read '35'... :lol3

So, here's my clydesdale hill experience...

The grind begins. You gear down and spin up to 75 or 80 rpm, and you breathe, and you sweat....

First the racers dudes who've flatted out pass you. At 10 times your speed.
Then the entire contigent of fit enthusiasts pass you. With verve and color suitable for a gay pride parade.
Then the old racer dudes pass you. They have something to prove.
Then the old racer chicks pass you. They smile and say 'keep going'. Bitches.
Then the out of shape guys pass you. They make noises like "pant, pant, groan'. Losers.
Then the out of shape girls pass you. Sometimes they're wearing dresses.
Then all the 12 year olds pass you. Little shits.
Then the fat but lighter guys pass you. Swik, swik, swik, goes their lyrca.
Then the fat chicks pass you. You can watch their back boobs jiggle.
Then the parents with bike trailers pass you. Their slobbery offspring pointing drooly cheezy fish fingers at you.
Then the old dude riding in just running shorts, so you can see his quadruple bypass scar passes you. He's wearing flipflops.
Then the autonomous 8 year olds pass you on bikes heavier than yours. They ask "Is that man ok, mommy?"
And so it goes.

This is the cycling experience of the clydesdale.

Don't ever ask us if we're defensive about this at the top of the climb. Wait until we're back down and our ego's recovered a bit.

:lol3

YakSpout 07-22-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
We should share the experience of being a clydesdale with everyone...

Here, for all of you who might never have the joy of riding a clydesdale century or double century with a nicely pitched 6 or 8 mile hill, here's sorta what it's like...

First, remember, you're loaded with more water and food than anyone else because it would be kinda embarrassing to have to kill and cannibalize one of your riding mates every 20 miles or so just so you'll have enough to eat.

Second, your bike is probably way heavier than anyone else's because anything less than a tandem fork is scarier than shit downhill at 45 mph, which is where you start braking because, well, you bend steal with your bare hands for fun, and your bike is made of steel, and your imagination starts puttin' two and two together, and your hands automatically seize your brakes and torque your discs so you can stay below 46mph which is where you just know your forks will bend like string cheese. ( BTW: That screeching you hear when I'm rolling downhill, that's not from my discs. That's me squealing in terror like a 12 year old girl).

Third, you're rolling a lot more rubber, hub, wheel and spoke because, well, a pinch flat or a warped rim every 3 miles sucks. So your acceleration with each crank is pretty much always just another flat multiple of 0.

Finally, you're sporting cogs and cranks that pretty much the same size. The numbers stamped front and back read '35'... :lol3

So, here's my clydesdale hill experience...

The grind begins. You gear down and spin up to 75 or 80 rpm, and you breathe, and you sweat....

First the racers dudes who've flatted out pass you. At 10 times your speed.
Then the entire contigent of fit enthusiasts pass you. With verve and color suitable for a gay pride parade.
Then the old racer dudes pass you. They have something to prove.
Then the old racer chicks pass you. They smile and say 'keep going'. Bitches.
Then the out of shape guys pass you. They make noises like "pant, pant, groan'. Losers.
Then the out of shape girls pass you. Sometimes they're wearing dresses.
Then all the 12 year olds pass you. Little shits.
Then the fat but lighter guys pass you. Swik, swik, swik, goes their lyrca.
Then the fat chicks pass you. You can watch their back boobs jiggle.
Then the parents with bike trailers pass you. Their slobbery offspring pointing drooly cheezy fish fingers at you.
Then the old dude riding in just running shorts, so you can see his quadruple bypass scar passes you. He's wearing flipflops.
Then the autonomous 8 year olds pass you on bikes heavier than yours. They ask "Is that man ok, mommy?"
And so it goes.

This is the cycling experience of the clydesdale.

Don't ever ask us if we're defensive about this at the top of the climb. Wait until we're back down and our ego's recovered a bit.

:lol3

:thumb

ClydePower!

Still a clyde, but trying to work it off.

Heading out for a couple/three laps around Griffith Park tonight. About 8mi around with a nice, short 6% grade halfway through.

Funny thing is that I brought my bike into the office so I wouldn't have to leave it in my truck all day. About an hour into the work day, I hear PSSSSHHHHHHH!!! My rear tube just let go and I wasn't even touching the bike... Glad I brought a spare.

Off the grid 07-22-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
Just back from a ride. That really worked for me - I need to work at it some more but I think over time I will make it work better.

Glad to be of service, mate.

You know in my life cycling has always ebbed and flowed through it, from saving money delivering papers to build my BMX bike at 12 which I subsequently won a 2nd place trophy in 1982. (still have it)
(Me in Blue)http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8828/bmx8882722.jpg
When my bike got stolen when I was 16 I didn't ride again until I gave up drinking/drugs at age 20 in 1990. I worked as a mechanic at a local shop for a few years in undergrad...no pay, just parts. Built and sold a number of MTN/road bikes and dove deep into the lifestyle. Centuries, Sport class MTN bike races, Sprint Tris. I was in the best shape of my life and did a race of some sort every weekend. I was not uncommon to do 2-300 miles a week for months at a time. I attended the first Pedros Festival in VT and did the Circus ride....an insane, 50 mile ride with miles of 5-8 degree climbs. :huh I had the pleasure of riding with Sara Ballynentine, Dave Weins, Joe Breeze and Gary Fisher.

Around 1998 I started to slow down, got married, focused on making money and family, cycling took a back seat. As the years passed, my bikes gathered dust, eventually selling my custom Cannondale 3.0 in 2007 for 600 bucks. :cry God I wish I still had that bike. I have been thinking about picking up another road bike, but that 'Dale was fully customized to me. 46cm wide bars, 180mm cranks, 48-spoke rear wheel. I am 6'3", loved to stand and hammer and hated flex in my rear end, so I built a bike to suit my riding style, and that 58cm 'Dale fit the bill. I will be hard-pressed to build another like it.

Fast forward another 3 years. I am now starting to get the bug again. I have 3 friends bikes in my garage that are in the process of being repaired...glad I held onto my Ultimate bike stand and tools. Plus one of my best buds is building up a Rocky Mountain Element with me as well. Wrenching always gets the juices flowing again.

I guess the point of this drivel is that cycling has always been a recurring theme in my life. A constant, positive force like a welcome friend which was lost but now found again.

Gummee! 07-22-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
I lived south of Morrison along C470, Snipped the bragging

Fun times.

:fyyff

Do you have any idea how far OTB I woulda been on that ride?

DO YOU?!

:bluduh

M

Gummee! 07-22-2010 06:08 PM

Got my running stuff on... Then thought about the pizza I'd had for lunch and the trouble that was about to bring me if I started running and changed into cycling gear.

Can ya believe I was out for about 1.20? I can't either.

Out the door and down the hill. Turn right with the road and its a gradual uphill towards Boulder basically. I got over to Indiana and turned right. Rollers. Big rollers. Made it up the first without too much trouble, but the one up to Interlocken kicked my ass. I was in the 27t cog and doing 8.4kph. I'm not gonna do the math, but I prolly coulda walked faster. Right turn and downhill again.

I keep wondering why I'm feeling low in the saddle and figger out my spiffy D/A seatpost is slipping in the frame. Anyone wanna trade a decent D/A road post (27.2) for something else? I'm kinda Eddy Merckx-ish about fit and positioning and a slipping SP ain't in the books for me. :nono There's some marks on it so don't expect a new post. Just one that's light. PM me for pics.

IIRC I have another post I can throw on there, so its not critical.

Oh, and I have a NIB D/A post that's 27.0 if someone needs one. Warranty for one that the head was slipping around on. I can't use it. Make me an offer.

So now I'm hot and sweaty and thinking about din-din.

Downhill was MUCH easier than uphill. :nod :ricky :fyyff all you climber types! That includes Alejo the skinny bastage! :D

M

ducnut 07-22-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
Man, you should see my next new bike. Another custom. This thing is gonna be the freakin' awesomest long-distance commuter/randonneur thing on two wheels. Rohloff, disks, internal cabling, eccentric, custom generator wire harness routing, custom lugs.... Suhweet, cute lil' innocent baby jesus, this bike will rock.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Iced Tea 07-22-2010 06:37 PM

broke the frame on my bike yesterday:cry It's an Iron Horse Hollowpoint, Iron Horse which went belly up recently makes it difficult to find a new front triangle, got the frame stripped down going to try and get it welded up tomorrow, it's aluminum. riding my old cannondale for now.

pierce 07-22-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
No. You don't.

I dunno. wearing them old black itralyan shoes with the metal cleats, and the cristophe straps cinched down, our feet were one with the pedal, and you powered the full stroke. I remember my stroke raised my heel on the up and lowered it on the down, and yes, scraped sh!+ off my shoes at the bottom.

Quote:

In the case of your cruiser bike, clipless still makes sense as long as they're mtn clipless. BUT that means ya gotta go buy some Keen bicycling sandals to go with em.
if you got Shimano SPD things on those sandals (and, yes, I saw the Shimano sandals on Sheldon's site, too), can you walk without going click-clack ? My cheaper Specialized Mtn shoes clack a fair amount on pavement, rocks, etc, to the point where I wouldn't want to go walking any distance in them. Yah, dey be shonuff better than them old black itralyan things, ewe-betcha.

TheNedster 07-22-2010 07:54 PM

Casting my ballot now to have Javarilla installed as king of the clydes.

Purchased everything I need to build up the frame I inherited from my brother last week. Jamis Durango 3.0 from 2006 or so. Mid-level, but way more MTB than I've ever had. It already has a fork, headset and stem and brakes. The wheelset shows up tomorrow and I picked up a chain, cables and tools today. Everything else will come from the my old ride. I've never tried to do anything like this before, the idea of rigging the ders, shifters and cables is kinda skeery:eek1 . But I figure that I'll learn best by doing. Or rather doing, dicking it up, and doing it over again. Repeatedly.

ducnut 07-22-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
I've never tried to do anything like this before, the idea of rigging the ders, shifters and cables is kinda skeery:eek1

Re-cabling is easy. If you think you'll need to change out the stem or bars, you may want to leave a bit of slack. Otherwise, I turn the bars full lock, when determining housing length. I keep the cabling as short as possible, for a cleaner look. If you have cable stops that are in the same location on each side of the frame, cut both housings to identical length. This will give the cables a symmetrical look. If you know how to adjust the derailleur cable tension for proper shifting, you have the worst part licked. If not, post up.

Dahveed 07-22-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
Casting my ballot now to have Javarilla installed as king of the clydes.

+1
He has a way with words... :thumb

pierce 07-22-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Re-cabling is easy. If you think you'll need to change out the stem or bars, you may want to leave a bit of slack. Otherwise, I turn the bars full lock, when determining housing length. I keep the cabling as short as possible, for a cleaner look. If you have cable stops that are in the same location on each side of the frame, cut both housings to identical length. This will give the cables a symmetrical look. If you know how to adjust the derailleur cable tension for proper shifting, you have the worst part licked. If not, post up.

and... ALWAYS put a cap on any sheath end where the cap will fit into whatever that end fits into. you don't need a cap on the brake end of a v-brake, because the noodle acts as one. and be sure to have sufficient cable tip caps too. I dunno what the correct crimping tool for these is, but I use a pair of wire cutters and just nick them til the tips are held on.

indexed shifting works better if you use this god awful parallel sheath that you can't cut with regular wire cutters.... me, I like friction shifting, and use brake sheathing for both brakes and shifters. and spiral wrap brake sheath can be cut by a good heavy duty sharp pair of diagonals, and either grinder/file the end, or what I usually do, is use some needlenose to be sure the cut spiral end isn't blocking the tube, then stick a awl into the plastic liner to open it up.

pierce 07-22-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iced Tea
broke the frame on my bike yesterday:cry It's an Iron Horse Hollowpoint, Iron Horse which went belly up recently makes it difficult to find a new front triangle, got the frame stripped down going to try and get it welded up tomorrow, it's aluminum. riding my old cannondale for now.

ouch good luck. i had my old steel cruiser frame TIG'd by my neighbor-the-master-boilermaker last month when the seat tube cracked, but I'll never trust it again, no matter what kinda 2% chrome wire he used

Gummee! 07-22-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
I dunno. wearing them old black itralyan shoes with the metal cleats, and the cristophe straps cinched down, our feet were one with the pedal, and you powered the full stroke. I remember my stroke raised my heel on the up and lowered it on the down, and yes, scraped sh!+ off my shoes at the bottom.

Still no comparison. Remember, I've done both too. No comparison. At. All. Clipless = mo bettah. :nod Raced track in double straps for a bit and still went back to clipless.

Quote:

if you got Shimano SPD things on those sandals (and, yes, I saw the Shimano sandals on Sheldon's site, too), can you walk without going click-clack ? My cheaper Specialized Mtn shoes clack a fair amount on pavement, rocks, etc, to the point where I wouldn't want to go walking any distance in them. Yah, dey be shonuff better than them old black itralyan things, ewe-betcha.
Dunno. Never worn em. Give em a try and let us know. I DO know a hasher that wears em. Never heard him walking around tho. :dunno

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:21 AM.