ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 07-22-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
Casting my ballot now to have Javarilla installed as king of the clydes.

Purchased everything I need to build up the frame I inherited from my brother last week. Jamis Durango 3.0 from 2006 or so. Mid-level, but way more MTB than I've ever had. It already has a fork, headset and stem and brakes. The wheelset shows up tomorrow and I picked up a chain, cables and tools today. Everything else will come from the my old ride. I've never tried to do anything like this before, the idea of rigging the ders, shifters and cables is kinda skeery:eek1 . But I figure that I'll learn best by doing. Or rather doing, dicking it up, and doing it over again. Repeatedly.

Go read Park Tools' site.

Lots and lots of great info.

Always set high/low set screws without chain/cable on the rear derailleur. Less chances of 'oopses.' :nod

Worst case take it to a shop. Mebbe they'll teach you what you screwed up like the one I took my oopses to in college when I was learnin to work on stuff. Be ready for a ribbing tho. :nod

M

slackmeyer 07-22-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iced Tea
broke the frame on my bike yesterday:cry It's an Iron Horse Hollowpoint, Iron Horse which went belly up recently makes it difficult to find a new front triangle, got the frame stripped down going to try and get it welded up tomorrow, it's aluminum. riding my old cannondale for now.

That's always a dicey proposition (aluminum frame repair), but if it's your only choice, at least do something to strengthen up the frame, like a gusset in the cracked area. Hope you can get someone who knows what they're doing for this.

TheNedster 07-22-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
indexed shifting works better if you use this god awful parallel sheath that you can't cut with regular wire cutters.... me, I like friction shifting, and use brake sheathing for both brakes and shifters. and spiral wrap brake sheath can be cut by a good heavy duty sharp pair of diagonals, and either grinder/file the end, or what I usually do, is use some needlenose to be sure the cut spiral end isn't blocking the tube, then stick a awl into the plastic liner to open it up.

Yeah, I bit the bullet and got the purpose made cable/sheath cutters. Dood @ the LBS said I might be able to get away with dikes, so long as they're extra-sharp. All of mine are pretty much toast after years of chewing through aircraft safety wire. Luckily, I just have to worry about the shifter cables, the brakes are hydro.

Gummee! 07-22-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
Yeah, I bit the bullet and got the purpose made cable/sheath cutters. Dood @ the LBS said I might be able to get away with dikes, so long as they're extra-sharp. All of mine are pretty much toast after years of chewing through aircraft safety wire. Luckily, I just have to worry about the shifter cables, the brakes are hydro.

You CAN use a cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool too. I've not done it on shifter housing, but I have used it to flatten brake housing. That spiral is hell on cable/housing cutters.

Just a note: if you get a GOOD cable/housing cutter it'll last damn near forever. My first Shimano tool is going on 20 years old. I bought another one a few years back, but it just sits in the toolbox!

If yer gonna use a cut-off wheel, keep a length of inner cable inside the housing. Helps. Or so I've read.

M

Dahveed 07-22-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Still no comparison. Remember, I've done both too. No comparison. At. All. Clipless = mo bettah. :nod Raced track in double straps for a bit and still went back to clipless.

Dunno. Never worn em. Give em a try and let us know. I DO know a hasher that wears em. Never heard him walking around tho. :dunno

M

Yeah, clipless was a huge improvement. I've never raced, but I used both and clipless rulez!

I've seen people wearing the shimano sandals. You're still gonna have the SPD cleat on the bottom of the sandal, but the rest of the sole is soft. I know some women recreational cyclists like to wear the sandals during the summer to avoid the cyclist tan (brown leg, white foot) which apparently is an issue with some women's footwear styles.

PaleRider 07-22-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
... on bikes heavier than yours. They ask "Is that man ok, mommy?" ... And so it goes :lol3

... they should, at the very least, comment on your nice steed :lol3

PaleRider 07-22-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
... on light days with only one or two classes, then ride up Lookout up to Evergreen then down Bear Creek Canyon and over to home. It was almost exactly 100 miles from my house up Bear Creek to Mount Evans and back ... Fun times.

... that's some serious 100 miles :nod :thumb

pierce 07-23-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, clipless was a huge improvement. I've never raced, but I used both and clipless rulez!

I've seen people wearing the shimano sandals. You're still gonna have the SPD cleat on the bottom of the sandal, but the rest of the sole is soft. I know some women recreational cyclists like to wear the sandals during the summer to avoid the cyclist tan (brown leg, white foot) which apparently is an issue with some women's footwear styles.

hahaha... wearing keens all summer in our sun again fog again, my feet have tiger stripes of tan.

zippy 07-23-2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
hahaha... wearing keens all summer in our sun again fog again, my feet have tiger stripes of tan.

+1- sporting the tiger stripes too, love the keens ! Even wore them on a metric century very very comfortable. They work great in the rain as well .
You will still get the clicking of the cleat when walking on certain surfaces. But they are comfortable for walking in.

trailer Rails 07-23-2010 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iced Tea
broke the frame on my bike yesterday:cry It's an Iron Horse Hollowpoint, Iron Horse which went belly up recently makes it difficult to find a new front triangle, got the frame stripped down going to try and get it welded up tomorrow, it's aluminum. riding my old cannondale for now.

Good, luck, get someone who knows what they are doing with AL. Is it broken at the head tube or the BB? Have them add some big gussets.

You might want to wait if you can because it looks like Dorel bought Iron horse and you might be able to warranty the bike. If you attempt any type of repair it will void your warranty. Dorel owns Mongoose, Huffy, Cannondale and others.

StevieD 07-23-2010 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off the grid
I am in no way lambasting the mans accomplishments, however his actions towards the greatest rider the sport has ever known is deplorable.

armstrong was good at winning one race, Merckx was great at winning all of them, Grand Tours-11, Classics-15+, Worlds-3 and just about every other he entered.

Gummee! 07-23-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieD
armstrong was good at winning one race, Merckx was great at winning all of them, Grand Tours-11, Classics-15+, Worlds-3 and just about every other he entered.

Yer certainly not gonna see Merckx's like again. That's for damn sure. :nod

LA has the ability to focus on one thing: le Tour. The rest is preparation/afterwards. This year? I don't know what he plans to do. He may decide to give it one more go, but somehow I doubt it.

M

PaleRider 07-23-2010 07:37 AM

Eddy Merckx won the Giro de Italia three times in the same year he won the Tour de France (TdF: 5 time winner), not to mention all his other bicycle accomplishments.

In fact, of all the 5+ times winners (Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault, Indurain and Armstrong), only Armstrong did not win the Giro de Italia in the same year at least once. It is no secret that Lance focused on one race. He's still an awesome rider and a great competitor, but when it comes to greatest ever, there is a solid arguement to be made that it is Merckx.

Bimble 07-23-2010 07:55 AM

Pedal to the Midnight Sun

We went last night to see the Inside Passage kayak trip these two guys did and heard about this other adventure of theirs:

<object width="400" height="230"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5799359&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5799359&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="230"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/5799359">Pedal to the Midnight Sun Trailer</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/gottfried">Benjamin Gottfried</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I can't wait to get on my bike this weekend!

Dahveed 07-23-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleRider
Eddy Merckx won the Giro de Italia three times in the same year he won the Tour de France (TdF: 5 time winner), not to mention all his other bicycle accomplishments.

In fact, of all the 5+ times winners (Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault, Indurain and Armstrong), only Armstrong did not win the Giro de Italia in the same year at least once. It is no secret that Lance focused on one race. He's still an awesome rider and a great competitor, but when it comes to greatest ever, there is a solid arguement to be made that it is Merckx.

Armstrong changed the game when it comes to the TdF. His sole focus on that race has now changed the way other competitors view the race and the season. Everything else is either prep for or recover from. It also gives some of the other riders on a team a chance to win a stage race.

Merckx' raced (and won) all those other races because that's what it took to be a professional cyclist then. The money situation was that you had to keep winning to make a living. Now a cyclist can win only a TdF and make millions through endorsements and improved contracts.

I think the sport has changed enough that its hard to determine whose the greatest rider ever. Certainly all those multiple TdF winners are in the running and Merckx is a great rider.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:59 AM.