ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mr Head 07-23-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
We should share the experience of being a clydesdale with everyone...

Here, for all of you who might never have the joy of riding a clydesdale century or double century with a nicely pitched 6 or 8 mile hill, here's sorta what it's like...

First, remember, you're loaded with more water and food than anyone else because it would be kinda embarrassing to have to kill and cannibalize one of your riding mates every 20 miles or so just so you'll have enough to eat.

Second, your bike is probably way heavier than anyone else's because anything less than a tandem fork is scarier than shit downhill at 45 mph, which is where you start braking because, well, you bend steal with your bare hands for fun, and your bike is made of steel, and your imagination starts puttin' two and two together, and your hands automatically seize your brakes and torque your discs so you can stay below 46mph which is where you just know your forks will bend like string cheese. ( BTW: That screeching you hear when I'm rolling downhill, that's not from my discs. That's me squealing in terror like a 12 year old girl).

Third, you're rolling a lot more rubber, hub, wheel and spoke because, well, a pinch flat or a warped rim every 3 miles sucks. So your acceleration with each crank is pretty much always just another flat multiple of 0.

Finally, you're sporting cogs and cranks that pretty much the same size. The numbers stamped front and back read '35'... :lol3

So, here's my clydesdale hill experience...

The grind begins. You gear down and spin up to 75 or 80 rpm, and you breathe, and you sweat....

First the racers dudes who've flatted out pass you. At 10 times your speed.
Then the entire contigent of fit enthusiasts pass you. With verve and color suitable for a gay pride parade.
Then the old racer dudes pass you. They have something to prove.
Then the old racer chicks pass you. They smile and say 'keep going'. Bitches.
Then the out of shape guys pass you. They make noises like "pant, pant, groan'. Losers.
Then the out of shape girls pass you. Sometimes they're wearing dresses.
Then all the 12 year olds pass you. Little shits.
Then the fat but lighter guys pass you. Swik, swik, swik, goes their lyrca.
Then the fat chicks pass you. You can watch their back boobs jiggle.
Then the parents with bike trailers pass you. Their slobbery offspring pointing drooly cheezy fish fingers at you.
Then the old dude riding in just running shorts, so you can see his quadruple bypass scar passes you. He's wearing flipflops.
Then the autonomous 8 year olds pass you on bikes heavier than yours. They ask "Is that man ok, mommy?"
And so it goes.

This is the cycling experience of the clydesdale.

Don't ever ask us if we're defensive about this at the top of the climb. Wait until we're back down and our ego's recovered a bit.

:lol3

Easily one of the best posts ever. :clap

I was cruising along the river trail all spandex and lycra'd feeling pretty damn smug with myself having made it all the way to the Pond and now, after turning back toward the barn I had a tail wind. As I trudge past the Yorba regional park an older woman on a single speed beach cruiser with a basket on the front full of ripe melons, (I could smell 'em), and not one but two baskets of produce on the back, passes me like I'm painted on the fence and she is talking on her cell phone barely breaking a sweat. :eek1

So, yeah the whole big slow horse things works for me...even though I am not a really big guy, I am much larger than I once was. For me that makes it much more frustrating.:lol3

ducnut 07-23-2010 08:18 AM

Don't forget that Merckx was a doper. Is he still great? I mean, Lance has been accused by many, never proven positive, yet, people still discredit him. IDK.

Dahveed 07-23-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Don't forget that Merckx was a doper. Is he still great? I mean, Lance has been accused by many, never proven positive, yet, people still discredit him. IDK.

ALL those early TdF riders doped. From the start. The only difference is what the riders have been using. Jury is still out for Lance. My feeling was he retired early to get clean and has been clean since his return.

Dranrab Luap 07-23-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

:lol3

You can just give me ALL the poseur points, then.

My urban ride is a Fargo with 185's fore and aft.

I LOVE everything about the Salsa Fargo. The only negative I have heard about it is that people who want to do loaded touring report having some dangerous levels of front end wobble...kinda like a tankslapper. What tires are you running on it?

Oznerol 07-23-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
You CAN use a cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool too. I've not done it on shifter housing, but I have used it to flatten brake housing. That spiral is hell on cable/housing cutters.

I use the Dremel method. Mainly because the first time I needed to cut housing I didn't have a proper housing cutter, and the shop was closed. Just kept doing it that way ever since.

It's a bit of a PITA to drag out the Dremel to cut a few bits of housing, but I don't do it often enough to warrant buying the cutter. I keep a tiny screwdriver handy when I'm doing it to poke into the inner liner right after I make the cut, so that it doesn't get melted shut from the heat. I think I learned that from Sheldon Brown.

rajflyboy 07-23-2010 08:59 AM

Somebody told me that Eddie also won a big bicycle race in Mexico? Is this true?

Do they still race this race?

Thanks

Eddie was definately the best cyclist of all times. No one can argue that.

ducnut 07-23-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
ALL those early TdF riders doped. From the start. The only difference is what the riders have been using. Jury is still out for Lance. My feeling was he retired early to get clean and has been clean since his return.

IDK on all the doping stuff. I try to ignore it, as it tends to soil the sport I really love. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. My GF is a veterinarian and has explained what and how different stuff works. I just couldn't do that to myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danrab Luap
The only negative I have heard about it is that people who want to do loaded touring report having some dangerous levels of front end wobble...kinda like a tankslapper.

I've read the thread on the ACA board about a problem. IDK of others. The poster seemed intent on bashing the bike and mfr. A definite dick about the situation, as he's still bashing to the last page. Salsa seem intent to figure it all out. No matter, as I would go with a B.O.B. trailer for any trip. It's a whole lot easier on the bike, more stable, and more aero. I wouldn't let the claims deter me.

Javarilla 07-23-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
Easily one of the best posts ever. :clap

I was cruising along the river trail all spandex and lycra'd feeling pretty damn smug with myself having made it all the way to the Pond and now, after turning back toward the barn I had a tail wind. As I trudge past the Yorba regional park an older woman on a single speed beach cruiser with a basket on the front full of ripe melons, (I could smell 'em), and not one but two baskets of produce on the back, passes me like I'm painted on the fence and she is talking on her cell phone barely breaking a sweat. :eek1

So, yeah the whole big slow horse things works for me...even though I am not a really big guy, I am much larger than I once was. For me that makes it much more frustrating.:lol3

Bicycling works great for me because it's not my glory sport. There's no way I could step onto an olympic lifting platform and walk off feeling good about anything I could accomplish on it these days.

Cycling's different. Just doing it is fun regardless how much I suck, mostly because I'm improving every day so it's all sunshine and happiness.

If you really want a laugh, come watch me figure skate.

Mr Head 07-23-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

If you really want a laugh, come watch me figure skate.

Funny you should mention that... I skate hockey or used to and grew up with ice skates, mostly old worn out figure skates. :cry

Might have to haul my skates up come winter? :rofl

BTW, the first thread I read on ADVRider was this:
Little Bear 1, Javarilla 0 :deal

Then I got hooked on Rogue 1 and the rest as they say is history...:wink:

Flaco 07-23-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleRider
Eddy Merckx won the Giro de Italia three times in the same year he won the Tour de France (TdF: 5 time winner), not to mention all his other bicycle accomplishments.

In fact, of all the 5+ times winners (Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault, Indurain and Armstrong), only Armstrong did not win the Giro de Italia in the same year at least once. It is no secret that Lance focused on one race. He's still an awesome rider and a great competitor, but when it comes to greatest ever, there is a solid arguement to be made that it is Merckx.

Merckx is the greatest. Hands down. He won all three jersey's in (I think) '69.

Maybe Anquetil is second to Merckx (although perhaps first in panache)...Bicycle Jesus is somewhere after those two.

Flaco 07-23-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajflyboy
Somebody told me that Eddie also won a big bicycle race in Mexico? Is this true?

Do they still race this race?

Thanks

Eddie was definately the best cyclist of all times. No one can argue that.

He set the hour record in Mexico City.

Dranrab Luap 07-23-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
I use the Dremel method. Mainly because the first time I needed to cut housing I didn't have a proper housing cutter, and the shop was closed. Just kept doing it that way ever since.

It's a bit of a PITA to drag out the Dremel to cut a few bits of housing, but I don't do it often enough to warrant buying the cutter. I keep a tiny screwdriver handy when I'm doing it to poke into the inner liner right after I make the cut, so that it doesn't get melted shut from the heat. I think I learned that from Sheldon Brown.

Friggin awesome idea!

Dranrab Luap 07-23-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Cycling's different. Just doing it is fun regardless how much I suck, mostly because I'm improving every day so it's all sunshine and happiness.

When I show up for group rides with my Specialized Tarmac, people expect me to be serious. Although my joints are shot all to hell, I look fairly fit. They immediately think I am serious about cycling. I am quick to tell them that I am slow and the only goal I have in cycling is to enjoy it. I tell them not to feel bad about dropping me.

ducnut 07-23-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Personally, I think I adapted to the weighted front behavior

That's the difference. You can ride a bike and understand the nuances of making changes. You know in advance, what'll probably happen. Others are a danger to themselves. They live in perfect worlds, oblivious to the notion that common sense might be a requirement in survival. They don't want to have to think and expect others to do that for them. If the outcome isn't perfect to/for them, they blame someone else for their ignorance, and threaten litigation.

BTW, I watched Ride the Divide. Just brutal. I couldn't race it, but, would like to try riding it.

GHO100 07-23-2010 01:06 PM

question for the enthusiasts

I've been an occasional lurker on this thread, but can't really keep up with it.

In 2006, I built a road bike, being tired of my 1980 Schwin Supersport.

Started with a 2004 Cannondale Optima R3000 (the flat black one) and put on a relatively older Shimano 105 group with newer STI shifters. All completed with ALX 330 wheels and kevlar tires.

Well, I rode that wonderfully for a while, completing some centuries and even a 148m ride from Penn Station, NYC to Montauk, LI in under 8hrs, which was great for me.

Then someone stole my rear wheel and all its belongings, seat, and some other crap. I've never put it all back together, because I can't afford to do it the way it should be done.

So, here's my question. Neighbor has expressed great interest in buying my frame and fork. Fork is a carbon one that came with the bike. I've got some other good upgrades, but he'll need a new rear wheel, cog-set, and probably half a component group.

What's the frame worth? What should I sell it for? I have no idea about this kind of thing, and the internet hasn't been much help. Ballpark figures are good.

Thanks in advance. (btw, I'm currently beating a Trek 1100 around so I won't be so sad when it gets stolen.)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:19 AM.