ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Askel 07-23-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
BTW, I watched Ride the Divide. Just brutal. I couldn't race it, but, would like to try riding it.

The way we figure, if you're going to ride the whole thing anyway- why not just show up for the grand depart and give it a shot anyway? You can always turn it into a tour when things go to hell....

Javarilla 07-23-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
When I show up for group rides with my Specialized Tarmac, people expect me to be serious. Although my joints are shot all to hell, I look fairly fit. They immediately think I am serious about cycling. I am quick to tell them that I am slow and the only goal I have in cycling is to enjoy it. I tell them not to feel bad about dropping me.

Nobody expects me to be fast. :lol3

Everything I own sez "I am a middle-aged patron of bespoke builders, tuned steel and focused design."

Anyone who's first question is "how much does it weigh" don't even know I exist.

Off the grid 07-23-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleRider
Eddy Merckx won the Giro de Italia three times in the same year he won the Tour de France (TdF: 5 time winner), not to mention all his other bicycle accomplishments.

In fact, of all the 5+ times winners (Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault, Indurain and Armstrong), only Armstrong did not win the Giro de Italia in the same year at least once. It is no secret that Lance focused on one race. He's still an awesome rider and a great competitor, but when it comes to greatest ever, there is a solid arguement to be made that it is Merckx.

I completely agree that Merckx trumps LA in many areas, however what tips the scales is that LA beat metastatic cancer that had a 90+% mortality rate and then won tours. What rider living or dead can compare to that?

rajflyboy 07-23-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off the grid
I completely agree that Merckx trumps LA in many areas, however what tips the scales is that LA beat metastatic cancer that had a 90+% mortality rate and then won tours. What rider living or dead can compare to that?

I can't argue with you on this!!

DoctorIt 07-23-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHO100
Started with a 2004 Cannondale Optima R3000 (the flat black one) and put on a relatively older Shimano 105 group with newer STI shifters. All completed with ALX 330 wheels and kevlar tires.

...

So, here's my question. Neighbor has expressed great interest in buying my frame and fork. Fork is a carbon one that came with the bike. I've got some other good upgrades, but he'll need a new rear wheel, cog-set, and probably half a component group.

What's the frame worth? What should I sell it for? I have no idea about this kind of thing, and the internet hasn't been much help. Ballpark figures are good.

$400, maybe, depending on other parts? Bicycles don't hold value very well. A new CAAD9-5 has new 105 and is only $1400 (high retail).

Gummee! 07-23-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
Funny you should mention that... I skate hockey or used to and grew up with ice skates, mostly old worn out figure skates. :cry

Might have to haul my skates up come winter? :rofl

BTW, the first thread I read on ADVRider was this:
Little Bear 1, Javarilla 0 :deal

Then I got hooked on Rogue 1 and the rest as they say is history...:wink:

Javarilla certainly has big ones don't he?! (not that I've looked!)

An enduro on a GS?! First impression :razor then its like :bow I don't know that I could do that well. :nah He da man!

M

Gummee! 07-23-2010 08:55 PM

Insteada driving the truck 3-ish hrs north, then immediately heading back south to come running, I went on a little ride on the GS. MAN! am I tired! Rode from Cheyenne over Happy Jack rd to Laramie, then down to Ft Collins.

:ricky

Hashing tamale then rock climbing Sun AM. I'm gonna need a vacation come Monday!

I'll see what I can do about sneaking in some mtn biking here soon. Anyone on the front range wanna go slow? :D

M

ducnut 07-23-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
The way we figure, if you're going to ride the whole thing anyway- why not just show up for the grand depart and give it a shot anyway? You can always turn it into a tour when things go to hell....

Because city slicker me will show up with my 'cross bike, pulling a BOB trailer, and get laughed all the way back to the cornfields. I don't think there's even a hint of badass-ed-ness in me. Those people exude it.

My ultimate dream is to ride the Lewis & Clark out, Northern Tier west, Great Divide south, and maybe pick up the Trans Am (different from the TAT) for home. IDK. Just dreamin', at this point. I've got the bike setup, already. Need to get my pickup paid off (2yrs left). Then, I'll be closer to doing it.

Gummee! 07-23-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Because city slicker me will show up with my 'cross bike, pulling a BOB trailer, and get laughed all the way back to the cornfields. I don't think there's even a hint of badass-ed-ness in me. Those people exude it.

My ultimate dream is to ride the Lewis & Clark out, Northern Tier west, Great Divide south, and maybe pick up the Trans Am (different from the TAT) for home. IDK. Just dreamin', at this point. I've got the bike setup, already. Need to get my pickup paid off (2yrs left). Then, I'll be closer to doing it.

If I'm not doing anything at the time, I'll ride the CDT with ya.

I'd like to do it on MCs too for that matter. :nod

You see the post that BigDog posted up about the unicyclists riding the CDT? (least I think it was BigDog) :ear

M

Mr Head 07-23-2010 09:43 PM

Well, the old Pinarello has an issue I need to address. The stem and handlebars are wiggly. I have a Cinelli stem that has this goofy wedge thing in it and I bet that once upon a time it got torqued hard enough since the thread is backwards to bend the bar.

Question is where in the Seattle,/Everett area is a good source?

OR I could just keep riding until i tear the thing apart, and go buy what I really want...:evil

ducnut 07-23-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
If I'm not doing anything at the time, I'll ride the CDT with ya.

I'd like to do it on MCs too for that matter. :nod

You see the post that BigDog posted up about the unicyclists riding the CDT? (least I think it was BigDog) :ear

M

Dude, I hope you're employed, by then. :eek1

I'd like to come out and ride MTB's, now. But, I'm still recovering from double carpal tunnel releases, double ulnar transpositions, and a mass removal from a tendon in my hand. I haven't worked, since 4-17. And, will probably be off another month. I have 1/10th of my left grip, in my right hand. I'm right handed, so there was a lot more nerve damage in that one.

Actually, that was "Questor" and "MotoAdventureGal" who ran across the unicyclists. Those two are some hellacious travellers.

Dahveed 07-23-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
My ultimate dream is to ride the Lewis & Clark out, Northern Tier west, Great Divide south, and maybe pick up the Trans Am (different from the TAT) for home. IDK. Just dreamin', at this point. I've got the bike setup, already. Need to get my pickup paid off (2yrs left). Then, I'll be closer to doing it.

Yeah, which motorcycle you taking for this little trip?

Gummee! 07-23-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
Well, the old Pinarello has an issue I need to address. The stem and handlebars are wiggly. I have a Cinelli stem that has this goofy wedge thing in it and I bet that once upon a time it got torqued hard enough since the thread is backwards to bend the bar.

Question is where in the Seattle,/Everett area is a good source?

OR I could just keep riding until i tear the thing apart, and go buy what I really want...:evil

I have a 12cm Cinelli stem if ya need it. I forget which model, but it sounds like yours. (may be an 11.5cm :dunno without looking. Lemme know)

Trade ya for them hubs you've already given me.

Failing that, you're pretty SOL with the 26.4mm bars unless ya just happen onto something in the corner of a dusty old shop.

M

Gummee! 07-23-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Dude, I hope you're employed, by then. :eek1

I'd like to come out and ride MTB's, now. But, I'm still recovering from double carpal tunnel releases, double ulnar transpositions, and a mass removal from a tendon in my hand. I haven't worked, since 4-17. And, will probably be off another month. I have 1/10th of my left grip, in my right hand. I'm right handed, so there was a lot more nerve damage in that one.

Actually, that was "Questor" and "MotoAdventureGal" who ran across the unicyclists. Those two are some hellacious travellers.

I hope I'm employed by then too!

When yer ready you've got crash space, tools, and a workstand waiting. Oh and a mechanic if you're not inclined that way. Ya gotta promise to take it easy on me tho. :shog

M

ducnut 07-23-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, which motorcycle you taking for this little trip?

Uhhhhh.....'09 Specialized Tricross Comp. :lol3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
When yer ready you've got crash space, tools, and a workstand waiting. Oh and a mechanic if you're not inclined that way. Ya gotta promise to take it easy on me tho. :shog

Cool! I appreciate the offering. I've not looked around the warmshowers.com site, yet. But, I may want to utilize their services, too.

After watching Ride the Divide, I think companionship is essential for mental health. This would explain why so many on the ACA site seek companions for their trips. I've always thought that solo would be much less hassle. IDK. I need to do some multi-day solo stuff and figure it out. I'm doing a 3 day trip, next week, with my GF. Should be fun!


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014