ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

jocflier 07-29-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasa
That's fantastic!

+1 :clap

pierce 07-29-2010 04:57 PM

any o' you clowns run your dawg from a bike?

I've been meaning to try this for awhile, so finally did just now, took our 3 yr old yellow lab out with my hybrid, easy mile there, mile back on a flat level straight line paved levee trail thats not very busy (2 other bikes, 2 walkers, one with his dog, the whole way). she did pretty good, kept wanting to go faster, was literally pulling me along with her at a brisk trot. last 1/2 mile I let her stretch out and run, and geezus, she can cover some ground, I bet she was sustaining 20mph.

I had her on an 'easy walker', which is a sort of harness that pinches her shoulders together if she pulls on the leash too hard, its really effective at keeping her from yanking you off your feet when you're walking her... ... I let it out about as far as it could go before we started, so the pinch effect was minimized, just enough to remind her to stay cool.

I figure if we do this 2-3 times a week, she'll get in pretty good shape... we'll work up to a 6-8 mile loop... she's been getting awfully lazy since our older dog died a couple months back, they used to run and run through the redwood forest behind my house.

ImaPoser 07-29-2010 05:12 PM

Is it even possible?

At work today, I looked down and saw four bikes loaded up like they were doing a cross country ride. Being the street is the non-interstate route of US 50 through downtown cincy, I figured there was a good chance they were in it for the long haul. Being eight or so floors up, the only thing I could make out was the back of one guys riding shirt said "fixies xxxxxxx" There's no way someone could be riding a fixie cross country, right? :arg

Askel 07-29-2010 05:51 PM

T-20 hours until I depart on my longest tour to date. :eek1

"Half" lake Michigan Circle Tour, taking the ferry across from Ludington to Manitowoc. Following the Adventure Cycling "North Lakes" route most of the way.

Should come in at about 850 miles over 10 days of actual riding. Of course, I get a nice 4 day break down by Ludington to hang out and party with the family.

As a side note, mad props to Askel Sr. who completed his first (and most likely last) mountain bike race this past weekend.

http://www.feep.org/gallery/d/54865-1/potluck1.jpg

He teamed up with me and some friends to take 3rd place in a local endurance race- "12 Hours of Potluck". Dad may not have done as many laps as the rest of the team, but the 20 lbs of pulled pork BBQ he made for the potluck portion is quickly becoming the stuff of local legend. :lol3

Gummee! 07-29-2010 06:53 PM

Mmmmm pulled pork

:thumb to both y'all

M

Askel 07-29-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
There's no way someone could be riding a fixie cross country, right? :arg

It's probably been done. There was a girl who did the Tour Divide race on a fixie last year. She did complete the whole course, but was relegated due to a route following mishap.

trailer Rails 07-29-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

At work today, I looked down and saw four bikes loaded up like they were doing a cross country ride. Being the street is the non-interstate route of US 50 through downtown cincy, I figured there was a good chance they were in it for the long haul. Being eight or so floors up, the only thing I could make out was the back of one guys riding shirt said "fixies xxxxxxx" There's no way someone could be riding a fixie cross country, right? :arg

I know some people who ride fixie in mountain bike races and place well in expert class. I also know someone who rode fixie from Pittsburgh to DC in 2 days (380 miles). He carried all his camping gear and it was during the hottest days we had yet this year around here (he did admit is was very painful). Some of those fixie riders have a screw loose. :lol3

ducnut 07-29-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasa
That's fantastic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
+1 :clap

Thanks, guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer
That's cool that you both made it anyway- among the distance riders I know, there's a combination of endurance, knowledge (pacing, eating, hydration, etc.), and of course a high tolerance for suffering.

After bonking several times in the last couple years, I've finally figured out a method to nutrition, for me. I've found that I can't survive on bars much past 40-50 miles. Hydration and pace aren't things I had issues with. But, because I live and ride in a rural area, it's difficult to find convenience stores at ideal times. So, if I'm going out for a mileage day, I try to setup my route to periodically swing through towns that I know have stores that'll work for my eating needs.

Suffering isn't necessarily part of it, as I usually don't have any at all. I do take the next day off the bike as a recovery day. I setup my Tricross with dimensions that I know work for me. They mimic my tri bike's front to rear measurements, just with a higher stack height. I'm 5'10" and I chose a 54cm frame size (545mm TTL); generally speaking, one size too small for my height. However, I knew I was going to run aerobars and reducing the top tube length means I don't need to swap to a shorter stem (on a 56cm frame) to get things properly positioned. Also, the 54cm comes with a shorter stem than a 56cm and has narrower bars (42cm versus 44cm), all to my advantage. Unfortunately, the 54cm has a 15mm shorter headtube length. All the Tricross sizes run the same chainstay dimensions. Anyway, running the shorter length allows my hips to be more rotated up under me, which allows my butt to sit more perpendicular to the saddle; like an upright rider. This allows comfort upright and aero while using a Brooks B17 Imperial. I won't say a Brooks is comfortable in a cushy, Lazy Boy kinda' way. It just allows one to spend long periods on a bike without discomfort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Great looking area!

I just wish I didn't have to drive 3hrs to get to it. That area is only 15mi from Kentucky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
T-20 hours until I depart on my longest tour to date. :eek1

Good luck and stay safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
As a side note, mad props to Askel Sr. who completed his first (and most likely last) mountain bike race this past weekend.

Oh yeah, huge props.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Some of those fixie riders have a screw loose. :lol3

No shit! Even after reading this, I'm still not feelin' it.

Mr Head 07-29-2010 09:01 PM

We've both banged up against the stops a time or two.
The wear and the scars to tell the tale. We won't admit to anything much we've shared; the miles rain hail and sweat.
We were chased from Silverton to Ouray first by the rain then that rabid hail, running us up and over Red Mountain pass like that farmyard dog out on the eastern plains.
Nobody starts out looking like this or plans to end up looking this worn.
But, these are what are left of a few hundred miles of races and many thousands of miles of training and a little bit of just riding from there to there.

We've worn out tires, bar tape, chains and spirits. But, here we are.

Still...

I spin past a stand of trees just up the road from the hotel and the sound of these tires and the feeling in my legs take me back to a town square on the eastern plains of Colorado.

Who says you can't travel through time?

All it takes is a little time.

http://mr-head.smugmug.com/Other/Sho...7_qfyiZ-XL.jpg

zippy 07-30-2010 04:06 AM

thanks for the knowledge !

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
more likely, the ribmo's run large. look for the ISO size, often molded but not printed, something like 28-622 (a proper 28c... 622mm is the actual size of a 700c wheel, measured from the seat of the bead). I've seen several 700c tires where the first number is larger than the claimed size, like my "700x40C" Michelin City's were 42-622, and when I switched to some proper 38-622's I was amazed how much thinner they looked compared with the City's.

kbasa 07-30-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

I bet they are.

One of my dreams is a full cross country ride. Once supported and once not.

Mercury264 07-30-2010 11:27 AM

I've learned a lot about cycling the past week or so:

1. Tires don't last forever and so after about 6,500 miles they really need replacing before...
2.....you get ready for a ride and then just as you set off, you find out the rear tire has de-laminated :D
3. You don't get extra points for climbing in as high a gear as you can. Get it in the lowest gear you can, it's a lot easier to climb that way.
4. I LOVE riding in a group :clap

I'm not a regrets kind of guy but I really do wish I'd taken up cycling earlier in my life...especially when I lived in Europe :cry

Oh well....

Have a great weekend everyone....soon be Friday Night Beer Night :freaky

Gummee! 07-30-2010 01:02 PM

Congrats on yer progress on the path of wisdom.

Just remember: hills never get easier, just faster.

The more miles you spend on the bicycle = less roll round the middle. :nod More on the MC = bigger roll round the middle. :nod

Oh, and the longer you ride, the firmer a saddle yer gonna want. :nod No matter what the wife/SO sez about her gel thingy.

Bibs are good m'kay

Despite what LA is wearing, socks AREN'T supposed to go that high.

Jerseys OVER the bibs

No, you don't look kewl riding without a shirt on.

There's more, but that's all for right now

M

Dahveed 07-30-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Congrats on yer progress on the path of wisdom.

The more miles you spend on the bicycle = less roll round the middle. :nod More on the MC = bigger roll round the middle. :nod

+10 Motorcycling makes me hungry, but doesn't burn up many calories!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Oh, and the longer you ride, the firmer a saddle yer gonna want. :nod No matter what the wife/SO sez about her gel thingy.

Bibs are good m'kay

Despite what LA is wearing, socks AREN'T supposed to go that high.

Jerseys OVER the bibs

No, you don't look kewl riding without a shirt on.

Chamois cream is your friend,

No underwear under the cycling shorts,

dogs still hate you but now can catch you,

Never change you saddle just before a big ride - give it time to break in/break you in before that century,

the places that were fun to ride the motorcycle are also good riding on the bike,

and cages still suck.

ducnut 07-30-2010 05:37 PM

Rode another 103 miles, today. Think I'm going to take it easy for the next week or so, as two centuries in 4 days is a bit much. The rearend's starting to feel it. No matter how many miles I ride, Radio Shack still ain't gonna' call. :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:24 AM.