ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

kbasa 07-31-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvtRide
I just started riding. I have a girly bike; a Schwinn Voyageur GS. A great bike for our paved bike trail. Jack rides an old rigid mountain bike and is looking to getting a nice full suspension bike for his knees. With his knee problems, we're slow working up to bigger double digits, but we're riding 3x a week, adding one mile each time.

Our city converted 18 miles of railroad trail into a nice bike trail with rest stops, trees, lights and call boxes. We'll hit the 15 mile mark on Monday. :D

:thumb

pierce 08-01-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
This may work for well trained dogs, but when I had a dog he'd suddenly pull to the side if he saw a squirrel, etc. That would probably knock me over.

I think it would hard to control an unruly dog from either a scooter or a bike.

This is what I ordered....

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KePpRzGGIwU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KePpRzGGIwU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

the tube is rigid, and the leash is spring loaded. you can use it with a regular collar, or a harness.

when it gets here, I'll report. until then, I've been working with my dog in my rather large driveway, doing laps up and down at low speed, and talking her into trotting along side (without a leash). she likes this game a lot. when I took her out on the levee with the leash and we did our first mile there and mile back, she was quite good, as long as I didn't try and hold the handlebars with my leash hand. I kept her short-leashed right along side of me, and held my arm high so the leash wouldn't tangle in her legs, and kept her going an easy trot, we stopped a couple times, then on the last 1/2 mile, I let her work up to a good fast full run for a few 100 yards, then slowed her back down to the trot...

Doc.Snyder 08-01-2010 02:45 AM

Today, solavaca ranch, tx. 103F

http://up.picr.de/4887480.jpg
http://s1.up.picr.de/4887482.jpg

TheNedster 08-01-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder

:lol3 Love it. Needs a SG1 sign or something next to the StarrGate. Also, 103 degrees w/out water bottles or a hydration pack?:eek1 Tell me the photog was packing all the water!

TheNedster 08-01-2010 06:59 PM

My ride this morning out on the Hornbeck and Upper Sac Ditch trails. I came across some folks I know at my turnaround point. They invited me to ride with them up to the dam, but I had honeydos waiting back at the compound.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...m/SSPX0129.jpg

The new bike is great, I've pretty much got it dialed in. Problem is, I'm now realizing how much my old FS bike was covering up my lack of technique. Can anyone recommend some good books or videos for MTB riding? I'm gonna hit up a local club that puts on some beginner rides, too.

Dahveed 08-01-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

I just started riding. I have a girly bike; a Schwinn Voyageur GS. A great bike for our paved bike trail. Jack rides an old rigid mountain bike and is looking to getting a nice full suspension bike for his knees. With his knee problems, we're slow working up to bigger double digits, but we're riding 3x a week, adding one mile each time.

If you're having knee problems on a bike, its likely a fit issue. Seat to low or high sort of thing. Seek professional help. Will full suspension help knee problems? IDK. I would think not, unless you were going downhill on some technical stuff fast. I know on a road bike, suspension may help with the contact points (hands, feet, ass) but it would not really help knee pain. It may be different on a mountain bike.

Of course, if he just wants a new bike, go for it. I'm just saying don't be disappointed if a full suspension bike does not help his knees.

Keep up the good work riding. :thumb

pierce 08-01-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

If you're having knee problems on a bike, its likely a fit issue. Seat to low or high sort of thing. Seek professional help. Will full suspension help knee problems? IDK. I would think not, unless you were going downhill on some technical stuff fast. I know on a road bike, suspension may help with the contact points (hands, feet, ass) but it would not really help knee pain. It may be different on a mountain bike.

Of course, if he just wants a new bike, go for it. I'm just saying don't be disappointed if a full suspension bike does not help his knees.

well, on a hard tail mountain bike, you're doing the technical rough stuff standing up, while on a suspension bike, you stay on the seat and let the rear end take up the slack.

if you're just riding on smooth hard pack trails and fire roads, you don't really need a mountain bike at all, a 700c bike with medium fat tires will do just fine.

the other major cause of knee problems is consistently riding in too high of a gear and using brute force rather than spin to get up hills, accelerate, etc. this is true for road or mtn bikes.

VelvtRide 08-01-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

He's had 37 knee surgeries in his life from a construction accident a number of years ago. He's just looking for a bike that's easy on his joints. :D

CatfishRacing 08-01-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

He's had 37 knee surgeries in his life from a construction accident a number of years ago. He's just looking for a bike that's easy on his joints. :D

37???
HOLY CRAP!!!
I think a bike with a motor would be the easiest on his joints!
:D
Best of luck finding one.

VelvtRide 08-02-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatfishRacing
37???
HOLY CRAP!!!
I think a bike with a motor would be the easiest on his joints!
:D
Best of luck finding one.

:nod

He has a bike with a motor... a Hayabusa. :lol3

Dahveed 08-02-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

37 surgeries? Dang, that is a lot.

good luck with it!

Dranrab Luap 08-02-2010 04:41 AM

It Was Just 20 Miles

We have been setting heat records down here over the past couple of days. The National Weather Service has issued heat warnings advising people to stay indoors durin the middle of the day. Yesterday the heat index was near 115. I tolerate heat very well...cold is a completely different story. I had a late breakfast and skipped lunch. I went to the gym and worked out for an hour or so.

I set out on a 20 mile loop on my city bike. When I ride this bike I average about 15 MPH where I would probably average 17 on my road bike by myself. I felt fine. The wind was fairly light, but steady. About ten miles into the ride I started my first down wind leg where there was less relative wind moving across my body. It also happened to be the first black top surface and in dircet sunlight. I chuckled out loud at how hot it felt. I drank a good bit of fluids before I set out. I took 2 water bottles full of Gatorade. 4 miles away from home I started getting chills. I looked at my skin and it was nearly dry. I backed off the pace a little and finished all but a few sips of my Gatorade. It was a close call. From a muscular and cardio standpoint I never felt lacking. I didn't feel completely spent the way I have when I have bonked in the past, but my body was telling me I had over taxed it.

It caught me by surprise that I could burn through all my fuel in such a short ride. Nutrition and hydration are vitally important in this sweltering heat I guess.

ducnut 08-02-2010 04:57 AM

Quote:

Not true. I've had patella issues over 20 years and a trial surgery 6 years ago. Going to a full-suspension bike, from a rigid one, helped tremendously. The suspension relieves the initial shock of hits. Going to a full-suspension ride was the best thing I did with mountain bikes. I can, now, ride offroad with absolutely no pain.

NikonVT 08-02-2010 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal
Check the inner wall of tire well for anything unusual at the site of the leak.....small thorns, bits of glass, wire, etc have a way of working themselves in. I'll often only be able to feel it before I see it.

An old (guy's) tip: When you mount a tire (clincher), put the manif. label over the valve stem area. That will give you a starting point of reference for chasing down a puncture, and removal of the offending FB.....also lets you look at the tire (damage) in the place of concern. Too often, guy's will just patch the tube, but not remove the sneaky problem

:thumb
thanks - good advice

The puncture was in a strange spot, I kinda had a feeling that it wasn't gonna hold the patch, right on the side of a raised seam.

First time riding along the beach in MA where my rents live. I've always seen people ride along there everytime I'm down there so thought it would be good. When I got back I told my rents that next time I came down and wanted to ride a bike I'd bring my Mtn bike, the roads were beat to shit and there was stuff everywhere. I spent more time avoiding holes, ruts, glass, rocks....than enjoying the ride.

Doc.Snyder 08-02-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
:lol3 Love it. Needs a SG1 sign or something next to the StarrGate. Also, 103 degrees w/out water bottles or a hydration pack?:eek1 Tell me the photog was packing all the water!

Of course I had a Camelbak on me. the 3l did not last long, though... :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:53 PM.