ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

VelvtRide 08-04-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut

Thanks! I think it looks better with a black drivetrain and tires, though.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/IMG_1127.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvtRide
He's got a coupla recumbent bikes, as well.

Talk about $$$!

I know, right? He coulda sent me to college for the price of those 2 bikes! :lol3

Still a gorgeous bike with the black wheels. :tb

pierce 08-04-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
I just got a call back on THIS bike.

It turns out that the seller is 3 inches shorter than me and was professionally fitted so I'm thinking that a 54 or a 56 might be the right sizes. :deal

3" taller isn't as important as how long your legs and torso are. longer torso+arms == longer top tube. longer legs == taller seat tube (the frame size) and/or stem.

i'm 6' tall and ride a 58 (modern) or 60 (vintage)... but, on a mountain or hybrid kinda bike, I am quite happy on a much smaller frame as long as it has a long enough seat post and stem.

trailer Rails 08-04-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Not true. My '09 has a slight shudder. Supposedly, a fork crown-mounted, cable stop will eliminate the shudder. I believe I read that Specialized is going to start shipping the Tricross with this update. Mine doesn't do it bad enough to justify messing with it, yet.

I was wondering why they went with the fork mounted cable stop. Flex in the crown would change the length from the cable stop on the steerer tube and the brake causing the brake to pulse. Make sense. I am not sure if that part is available aftermarket yet. It is a nice little fork mounted cable hanger.

ducnut 08-04-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
I was wondering why they went with the fork mounted cable stop. Flex in the crown would change the length from the cable stop on the steerer tube and the brake causing the brake to pulse. Make sense. I am not sure if that part is available aftermarket yet. It is a nice little fork mounted cable hanger.

They're available in the aftermarket; Harris Cyclery shows one.

pierce 08-04-2010 05:34 PM

wail.... the muscle memory does not forget.

just installed a pair of MKS platform pedals, with some cheap plastic toeclips.... and yes, my feet remember EXACTLY how to get into them. I rode clipless (SPD) for most of a year and never got good at snapping in quickly, always took me 2-3 tries.

I will try my Keens next, just tested with my walking shoes, they work quite nicely with the XL toeclips I got, and put my foot in just the right place.

hmmm. Keen Newports (size 12) not so great. harder to get in, harder to get out (toeclip straps hang on the sandals), and worse, the keens are quite a lot wider than the pedal, such that if they are almost rubbing the crank arm, they stick over an inch off the end of the pedal. The Keen's have a very solid base so this last isn't a big problem but its noticable.

Good: http://l3.zassets.com/images/749/749...7-811310-d.jpg

Not so good: http://l3.zassets.com/images/712/712...4-124396-d.jpg

(yes, I *know* Keen makes SPD compatible "Commuter" sandals that are very similar looking. however, those have a riding shoe style sole, with a steeper bend and narrower base and less flexible than the walking sandals I love)

ducnut 08-04-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Was just nosin' around the Tricross area of the Specialized site. They made a ton of changes in the content of the bikes for 2010. I didn't realize it. They cheapened the components on the Comp. Added a basic 'cross with Shimano 2300 components. The Expert is like my Comp, but, with SRAM components. The kicker with that is the front ring is only a 38T and doesn't look to be able to accept anything smaller. They've expanded the use of fender and rack eyelets to all the models. Mid-fork eyelets only on the base and Sport. Geez! Specialized makes it so hard to keep up with all the levels within their models.

pierce 08-04-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Was just nosin' around the Tricross area of the Specialized site. They made a ton of changes in the content of the bikes for 2010. I didn't realize it. They cheapened the components on the Comp. Added a basic 'cross with Shimano 2300 components. The Expert is like my Comp, but, with SRAM components. The kicker with that is the front ring is only a 38T and doesn't look to be able to accept anything smaller. They've expanded the use of fender and rack eyelets to all the models. Mid-fork eyelets only on the base and Sport. Geez! Specialized makes it so hard to keep up with all the levels within their models.

thats pretty much the standard pattern of all bike makers, juggle the BoM for each model to maximize profit year to year.

pierce 08-04-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

um, except, I have a hard time with 'flex in the crown', especially in the center bolt position relative to the steering tube. fork blades flex, but the crown and steering tube had better not be flexing, or the headset is gonna get hammered.

Gummee! 08-04-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
We have been setting heat records down here over the past couple of days. The National Weather Service has issued heat warnings advising people to stay indoors durin the middle of the day. Yesterday the heat index was near 115. I tolerate heat very well...cold is a completely different story. I had a late breakfast and skipped lunch. I went to the gym and worked out for an hour or so.

I set out on a 20 mile loop on my city bike. When I ride this bike I average about 15 MPH where I would probably average 17 on my road bike by myself. I felt fine. The wind was fairly light, but steady. About ten miles into the ride I started my first down wind leg where there was less relative wind moving across my body. It also happened to be the first black top surface and in dircet sunlight. I chuckled out loud at how hot it felt. I drank a good bit of fluids before I set out. I took 2 water bottles full of Gatorade. 4 miles away from home I started getting chills. I looked at my skin and it was nearly dry. I backed off the pace a little and finished all but a few sips of my Gatorade. It was a close call. From a muscular and cardio standpoint I never felt lacking. I didn't feel completely spent the way I have when I have bonked in the past, but my body was telling me I had over taxed it.

It caught me by surprise that I could burn through all my fuel in such a short ride. Nutrition and hydration are vitally important in this sweltering heat I guess.

I was in Lanett, Ala Sun/Mon and went for a ride Mon. Don't know how hot it was, but I went thru 2 big water bottles on a 30mi ride.

Got back to within a few blocks of where I was stayin, crested that last hill and things kinda went grey around the edges.

Took me a while sitting on the floor under the ceiling fan to get cooled off.

Didn't have heat issues on the ride, but that last little bit got me!

BTW, riding in running shoes sucks eggs. :nod Haven't done that in ages, but forgot the riding shoes, so guess who hadta do without. G'head. Guess. Toes kept going numb. No follow thru on the bottom of the stroke. Ugh

Was riding a cross bike on semi-slicks while the girl I was with was on 23c road tires. I haven't been whooped like that on a ride in a long time. :nod My legs went into 'limp home' about 5mi from the end of the ride. All I could do was spin at a certain energy level. Anything more brought instant retribution and an even slower pace.

She was tryin real hard to be a good 'ride leader' but with the lack of riding on my part, combined with a set of semi-knobbies, combined with the heat + humidity, plus the lack of even toe clips and straps = dead legs and getting dropped on pretty much every bump that had the audacity to call itself a hill.

Oh well. Next time: MY bike, MY shoes, MY shorts, MY...

Had a good time regardless. Reminded me of way back when I didn't know any better.

M

Gummee! 08-04-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Frames should be pretty much all the same, its the parts that're different.

Pick the parts yer looking for and get the same frame as the D/A equipped model. Upgrade parts as you wear em out.

HTH

M

jocflier 08-04-2010 09:22 PM

:eek1 Damn. The humidity suck ass. Glad you are ok. No more of the gray around the edges stuff, ok?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I was in Lanett, Ala Sun/Mon and went for a ride Mon. Don't know how hot it was, but I went thru 2 big water bottles on a 30mi ride.

Got back to within a few blocks of where I was stayin, crested that last hill and things kinda went grey around the edges.

Took me a while sitting on the floor under the ceiling fan to get cooled off.

Didn't have heat issues on the ride, but that last little bit got me!

BTW, riding in running shoes sucks eggs. :nod Haven't done that in ages, but forgot the riding shoes, so guess who hadta do without. G'head. Guess. Toes kept going numb. No follow thru on the bottom of the stroke. Ugh

Was riding a cross bike on semi-slicks while the girl I was with was on 23c road tires. I haven't been whooped like that on a ride in a long time. :nod My legs went into 'limp home' about 5mi from the end of the ride. All I could do was spin at a certain energy level. Anything more brought instant retribution and an even slower pace.

She was tryin real hard to be a good 'ride leader' but with the lack of riding on my part, combined with a set of semi-knobbies, combined with the heat + humidity, plus the lack of even toe clips and straps = dead legs and getting dropped on pretty much every bump that had the audacity to call itself a hill.

Oh well. Next time: MY bike, MY shoes, MY shorts, MY...

Had a good time regardless. Reminded me of way back when I didn't know any better.

M

trailer Rails 08-05-2010 05:26 AM

Quote:

Wait till you see the 2011's. We have been building 2011 bikes for nearly a month now.
The new Camber 29er is sick! They made the Tricross more of a commuter/ rail trail bike and came out with the Crux model for the racers.

Mercury264 08-05-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
Crap. No, I wanted to, and I remember checking it out when you posted about it some time back. But I'm out of town at the moment.

Bummer.

It was fantastic :clap

Goddamn traffic was not however so we arrived a little late but we didn't miss any of the film.

We even won a prize - one of the movie posters. Guy in front of me won a set of the maps they used - would have loved the maps (I'm sure most of it would have crossed over to motorbikes)....

Gummee! 08-05-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Also don't lounge around in the bike shorts after a big ride. Get them off and put some other shorts on fairly quick for the same reasons.

I use Assos, but if I get chaffed, I use bag balm to cure that. I don't ride in bag balm, but I might give that a try.

If your just spinning some low mileage a few times a week, you can be a little more relaxed about your backside. If you're starting to ride more frequently and for longer distances, this becomes pretty important.

Bag Balm is very tenacious when you've been using it in yer shorts. I haven't been using it for a while and its still oozing out of my chamois-es.

There's a recepie online for a 'generic' Assos cream. I think the tingle yer feeling is tea tree oil. IIRC it starts with Eucerin, adds some triple antibiotic ointment, then adds some tea tree oil. :dunno I think I saved it on another computer cause I ain't finding it. It was on roadbikereview, so search there too.

I've found that if I have my seat in the right spot, nothing chafes even on long rides. If I'm NOT in the right spot, well... :bluduh

HTH

M

Gummee! 08-05-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
I just got a call back on THIS bike.

It turns out that the seller is 3 inches shorter than me and was professionally fitted so I'm thinking that a 54 or a 56 might be the right sizes. :deal

As a note: I ride between a 54 and 55cm TT and I'm 5'8". I do have a longer torso than legs tho.

I also ride my cross bike the same size as my road bike. I tried the 1cm shorter TT thing and didn't like it.

HTH

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:07 AM.