ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pierce 08-19-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Gravel is a term that describes many sort of roads. Some gravel is actually road base and is fairly well packed down. Other "gravel" surfaces are pea gravel that can be deep and move around more like sand.

The road base is clearly the better surface for riding on. I'm guessing some additional tread would be a plus in the looser types of gravel.

true that. he previously said crushed limestone. around here at least, thats usually really crushed granite.

pierce 08-19-2010 02:06 PM

bye-bye pretty blue trek... :cry

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_JS1yca5KB-0/TG...0/IMG_7929.JPG

he left this morning for school, a ~7 hour drive northwards...

EvilGenius 08-19-2010 02:09 PM

The wheel fell off.

pierce 08-19-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
The wheel fell off.

nah, its in the back seat. I didn't want to give him one of my Lockjaws, so he just got the Boa fork mount rack which I had on the middle of the rack on my car to carry a 3rd bike in a pinch.

EvilGenius 08-19-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
true that. he previously said crushed limestone. around here at least, thats usually really crushed granite.

I did?

It probably is though.

It's pretty damn tightly packed it might as well be solid, but there is usually a very thing layer of somewhat loose gravel and dust on top.

If you're pushing it really hard you might slide around a little, but at my pace I barely feel a difference.

ducnut 08-19-2010 03:43 PM

Just got back from 72 miles of country roads. I'm roached, as the thermometer is showing 91 degrees. I didn't realize we were to get so warm, today.

My GF, upon me walking in the door: "You look like shit.".
Me: "I feel like shit.". :lol3

I really like the 32mm Conti Contact tires I installed, last night. They're at the narrow-ness limit for the typical rock roads I encounter. They're much faster than the Boroughs I took off and ride almost as well. The ride is surprising, as the Contis are much more rigid in hand, narrow, and shorter. The bad, the tread is completely packed with road oil and fine gravel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
If you have the 12gram cartridges, you can go to Wally World and get a box o' bb gun refills for dirt cheap.

Check Cabela's too. IIRC That's where I got my last few big cartridges. Come in packs of 3 for something like life vests or something similar.

M

Be careful with the generic cartridges, as some aren't as large as inflator cartridges. If they're threaded, size doesn't matter. But, if the inflator relies on a cage to engage the cartridge, you're screwed. DAMHIK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy
wohoo finally put some panniers on the Fargo and used it as a commuter today !

I put a set of these on my GF's townie MTB, last night. They're really nice and only $75.

Quote:

How would those tires handle things like gravel?

Not worried about punctures, just traction.

If you're referring to the slicks, they'll handle gravel just fine, loose or packed. Loose stuff is more about flotation, not so much tread pattern. However, gravel and cinders will cut right through them, if you spend much time on it. I'm thinking you're bike path only, which will be fine.

I'll tell you what, you PM me your address and PayPal me $10.00, I'll send them to you. The money pays for a medium flat-rate box at the post office. I don't have a use for them, as they won't fit anything but our 'cross bikes and we ride too much gravel with them.

Quote:

crushed granite can really slice up your sidewalls on skinnier high pressure tires unless they are heavily armored.

Hell the stuff goes right through the tread. I've got several expensive 23's hanging in the garage that are sliced. And, a couple don't have 100 miles between them. Around here, cinders are the killer.

Quote:

look for the ISO # on the inside, or molded into the sidewall but probably not painted/printed, this is like 25-622 or something. I've seen quite a few tires where the ISO number was larger than the advertised and silkscreened size.

When I took the slicks off, I looked inside and the number is the same as on the sidewall. I'm not kidding, they're like balloon slicks. I've never seen a 25mm tire so big. I really thought they were 32mm, when I saw 'em. They look great on a 'cross bike, though.

Quote:

^^^ Hell, that's a scene right out of Breaking Away.

Dahveed 08-19-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Just got back from 72 miles of country roads. I'm roached, as the thermometer is showing 91 degrees. I didn't realize we were to get so warm, today.

I didn't realize 91 was hot? :lol3

My Dad is from central Ill and he claims the summers suck worse there with the humidity than they do in Texas. :deal

72 miles... Good ride. :clap

Gummee! 08-19-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

bye-bye pretty blue trek... :cry

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_JS1yca5KB-0/TG...0/IMG_7929.JPG

he left this morning for school, a ~7 hour drive northwards...

I had tbe model before that one. '73 142 damn near indestructible car. Not fast. Not sexy. Great for a college student 'cause the trunk was ginormous. :nod

I was the typical bike geek: the bikes outcost the car by a large margin. Still do actually. The S320 I'm borrowing from my Mom is worth slightly less than the bikes it hauls.

On another note: I've been rained on twice on the loop I just finished. :nod Same basic spot too! :bluduh This time I got home before it really let loose. :thumb Oskar Blues tonite in Lyons. I may drive.

Y'all see the article on VN.com about the myth of the fat burning zone? Thoughts?

M

ducnut 08-19-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
I didn't realize 91 was hot? :lol3

My Dad is from central Ill and he claims the summers suck worse there with the humidity than they do in Texas. :deal

72 miles... Good ride. :clap

Hmmm. I think you can keep your TX heat, as it's hot down there all summer long. Dry heat, or not, 100 degree days are brutal. I used to be in Houston about once every other month.

And, thanks. I was shooting for a hundred, but, just didn't have it in me. Like I said, I'm roached. My arms and nose are a rosey shade of pink.

pierce 08-19-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I had tbe model before that one. '73 142 damn near indestructible car. Not fast. Not sexy. Great for a college student 'cause the trunk was ginormous. :nod

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_JS1yca5KB-0/Sq...0/IMG_9350.JPG

this car has about 400k miles on it. only two things don't work, the odometer stopped at 250K about 15 years ago, and the a/c hasn't worked in 20 years. since we live on the naturally air conditioned left coast its no big deal, and in fact, when I replaced the radiator a couple years ago, I ripped out all the stupid condensor and a/c hoses as they were in my way :augie

I showed the bike to a friend online, his response was 'a college kid needs a 500, not that thing' (meaning a motorcycle)... I said, well he's taking our old Volvo too... response: "Pierce, you know what that means... he's gonna be bringing home a hippie chick". me: "So?"
The Other Day
(Near Santa Cruz)
I met a guy the other day he said he had it all figured out
He claimed he was ecstatic and he proved it with a shout
"I like hippie chicks," he said, "they're not so damn dumb
They don't sing like Ethel Merman, they don't imitate nuns

"They comb their hair with porcupines and loofah their feet
And they become indignant when you threaten them with meat
Their windows grin like pumpkins filled with candles and beads
Their beds are all futonic and there's babies on their knees."
"But my mother wears a hat," he said, "extruded from a tank
And my sister reads good housekeeping and worships at the bank
My grandma loves Pat Robertson says he's it that's that
And my wife says I'm a lunatic but hippie chicks are where it's at."

He told me this while revving up his brand new pick up truck
He wore a leather hat and shades above a 12-pack gut
"I know where they got hippie chicks, they're all in Santa Cruz"
Then he jammed a tape in his Blaupunkt and drove off born to lose

Cause although he got the message he was deaf to the news
There are no chicks in Santa Cruz

rbrsddn 08-19-2010 06:08 PM

Re post 16335: I don't know about the article, but I do know that the 100+ mile weeks I've been doing all summer has got me under 180 for the first time in a couple of years. My buddy who has been riding 125+ a week tells me the only way to burn fat is to do at least one 50+ miler per week. I've spent more Sunday's riding my skinny bike than the M/C this year. That's a first! But I'm feeling good, and can fit in the size 42 Vansons!:deal

Mercury264 08-19-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Re post 16335: I don't know about the article, but I do know that the 100+ mile weeks I've been doing all summer has got me under 180 for the first time in a couple of years. My buddy who has been riding 125+ a week tells me the only way to burn fat is to do at least one 50+ miler per week. I've spent more Sunday's riding my skinny bike than the M/C this year. That's a first! But I'm feeling good, and can fit in the size 42 Vansons!:deal

:thumb

TheNedster 08-19-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
I looked at them, but, read so many saying that Schwalbe ride harsh. And, they probably do on pavement. But, you don't get puncture resistance and near-infinite mileage out of flimsy, soft-rubbered tires.

The Conti Tour Plus had great ride quality reviews, but, most claimed the mileage sucked, compared to Schwalbe. So, the ride is why I went Conti. They're showing significant wear with less than 150mi; 100mi of that is crushed limestone.

FWIW, the Conti Speed Kings that came on my Norco ride pretty nice, even on pavement. However, they look kind of thrashed after only a 100 miles or so. The Schwalbe Marathon Pluses are a bit harsher, but after 500 miles, look like the day I bought 'em. They work dandy on gravel and packed dirt when aired down a bit. No flats, either (yet).

EvilGenius 08-19-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahoon

I cant stop looking at this stupid thing.

pierce 08-19-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

I cant stop looking at this stupid thing.

thats a $8000 aero race bike. with Dura-Ace kit, it weighs under 16 lbs. meant for going very fast for very long distances over a wide range of roads.

edit; oops, with Zipp wheels, it might be a $10000 bike. and be 15.55 lbs. in a size 58 (suitable for a medium-large rider).

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:50 AM.