ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pierce 08-21-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grreatdog
In that single speeed vein, I just updated my original 1979 Jamis Earth Cruiser single speed with a internal seven speed Nexus coaster brake hub. I haven't lived at the beach for 20 years and my subdivision is called Rolling Knolls for a reason, so our beach cruisers have just been taking up space in the garage.

Not anymore. I couldn't believe this hub actually fit, keeps the look of the single speed beach cruiser and it actually works well enough to ride the bike on our hills. My 30 year old beach cruiser has a new lease on life. Now I just have to see if my 50 year old body can do the same thing.

I haven't ridden anything but motorcycles on the street since the 70's. And my last bicycle ride on the street didn't end well. So wish me luck. BTW, I actually learned about these hubs here. So thanks all. And I take it my MX helmet would be over the top. :lol3

heh. the cruiser I've had since the late 70s was always 5-speeds, now 7 speeds. uses a derailleur, with a bar top thumb shifter. the current setup is a 13-32 with a 40 tooth front. the low gear can do substantial climbing, the high gear is high enough for decent flatland speeds.

YakSpout 08-21-2010 11:15 PM

Completed my first century today. My goodness... 102mi and about 3500' of climb. It's advertised as the easiest century in SoCal. I thought so, too, until about mile 94. Then I just wanted it all to be over. I could "smell the barn" so to speak... Our group finished strong and after the horrible traffic on the drive home, we met for beers, wings, salads, beers and more wings. Helluva a welcome to the century club.

Not sure if I'll continue with the long rides or not, but damn... We all learned a shit-ton about our personal limits. I learned, for example, that my limit is suddenly erased by tri-tip and beer.

Anyone ready for 20-30mi tomorrow to blow the cobwebs out?

Also, the new pair of Giordana's beat the crizz-app out of my KLR-style PearlIzumi bib...

Oznerol 08-22-2010 08:32 AM

D2r2 2010

So, I finished it. All 110 miles and 16000 feet of it.

It was a hard, fun, amazing ride. Even more so than the shorter 62-mile route that I've done previously, this is a human-powered roller coaster. Grind your way up some awful climb for 30 minutes, then scream down a beautifully twisty descent for 5. Then maybe you've got a brief flat section before you start the whole cycle over again.

It took me about 13 hours, which is about 50% longer than what the fastest folks require. I'm fairly confident that when they post the times, mine will be the longest of any of the finishers. I knew going into it that my fitness was well short of ideal for the ride, but I took inspiration from this quote from an interview with the guy who created the ride:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Whittlesey
One of the great things about epic rides is that they are so mental in nature. Ultimately your body deteriorates and there is no technology or chemical or anything other than your own mind that can find the way through it. Often, you see riders of very average physical ability doing very well in distance events because they have the perfect mindset for it.

I felt confident from my experiences on the shorter D2R2 and on unsupported solo centuries that I've done that I had the right mindset to finish this, and that's pretty much how it worked out. I was packing some pretty low gears (MTB crank, giving me a 22x27 granny), and I wasn't afraid to use them. I kept my cadence up and my heart rate moderate, ate and drank regularly, and felt great for about 95% of the ride.

For Mercury264: I used my eTrex to navigate for the first time this year, and it worked great. Previous years there was no GPS route available, and so I just used it as an odometer and read the cue sheet. But the cue sheet is dense and hard to read while in motion, so I would spend lots of time stopped to make sure I was going the right way; Missing a turn on this ride can easily mean several hundred feet of extra climbing when you have to backtrack.

This year, with my gadget beeping at me every time I was approaching a turn, it was much easier. I couldn't just follow its directions blindly, because there are a few spots where the course follows bike paths or unmaintained roads that aren't in the GPS maps. But it was usually pretty obvious when I needed to ignore the gadget and consult the cue sheet instead. Most of the time it was dead on, and overall I spent much less time trying to figure out which way to go this year than in previous years.

I rode my Fargo. This is my first long ride on that bike (and actually this ride was one of my main motivations to buy it). I can safely say it's a keeper. Next year I'm going to put a fatter tire on the front to soak up the bumps a bit better (had a 700x32, wish it'd been a 700x40). But the bike itself was comfortable and composed on nasty roads, and not too much of a boat-anchor when climbing. The BB7 disc brakes are great -- consistent, easy to modulate, and one-finger powerful. All very nice things to have when descending a steep dirt road with lots of protruding rocks.

Dahveed 08-22-2010 08:36 AM

Good deal :clap

Steverino 08-22-2010 08:40 AM

Cooolio Oznerol! I need to start scoping something like this to set a goal...

Bimble 08-22-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel

I tied last year's UP State Single Speed Champion in this year's UP State Single Speed Championship race!

Wow, I didn't catch this. Hell of an effort! :clap

Bimble 08-22-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
So, I finished it. All 110 miles and 16000 feet of it.

Pretty damned good especially when you felt not ready for it.

ducnut 08-22-2010 09:30 AM

Re: "Oznerol" and "YakSpout"

Damn! You guys hammered out some serious centuries.

Oznerol 08-22-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimble
Pretty damned good especially when you felt not ready for it.

I wouldn't say I felt unready, exactly.

I guess my point about fitness was that when I signed up for it back in January I intended to do some focused training in preparation for it, so that I could go into it in great shape, with a goal beyond surviving and finishing. I didn't stick to that plan -- travel for work and a couple of heat waves early this summer interfered. But I've still managed to get out and run or ride once or twice a week to maintain some basic fitness. So I wasn't really where I 'wanted' to be for the ride, but I was pretty sure I was where I 'needed' to be.

2whlrcr 08-22-2010 10:11 AM

I hate reading these threads. I used to be Cat II 30 years ago. Maybe I should get off my lazy ass and start riding again...

ducnut 08-22-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
I hate reading these threads. I used to be Cat II 30 years ago. Maybe I should get off my lazy ass and start riding again...

Yep! You should reinvigorate the love for cycling you once had. That's what happend to me; 21 years off a bike.

pilot 08-22-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Yep! You should reinvigorate the love for cycling you once had. That's what happend to me; 21 years off a bike.

I had never had a thing for bicycles. Sure, I've always pretty much had one around, but never really gotten "into" bicycling. Until the end of last summer. That is when I bought this bike I have now. Nothing fancy, just a Schwinn seven speed comfort bike. I thought it was going to kill me at first. My rides were measured in blocks, not miles. Its coming along now. I'm up to five to seven miles three to five times a week. And I'm bike shopping.

MapMaster 08-22-2010 12:41 PM

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself after doing 126 miles in two days on the Pine Creek rail-trail in north-central PA. Then I read the impressive rides you ff's have been churning out. :clap

The second day was a bit harder, but I managed to finish strong. Didn't feel too bad until the day after (yesterday). Damn it hurt to move.
The long distance rides are bothering my neck and shoulders. I need a longer bike or some suspension, or both.

Steverino 08-22-2010 02:34 PM

First time off road in years. Took John to a local farm that has trails to ride. Pretty nice, small, short, and we did not do it all. But it was good to be riding off road again. John liked it, but he is allergic to effort. So it was not long before he wanted to head to the car. :D But he did say he wanted to go again.

John enjoying the down hill parts

http://steverino.smugmug.com/Cycling...54_wM3z7-L.jpg

Yours truly..

http://steverino.smugmug.com/Cycling...44_xSH5Y-L.jpg

We had fun and I am ready to go again.

http://steverino.smugmug.com/Cycling...41_U3LQR-L.jpg

Zodiac 08-22-2010 03:06 PM

holy shit Steve, can't even recognize you anymore.. good for you:freaky

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:25 AM.