ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Flaco 10-13-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by card
Didn't anyone ride today??

I'm not sure I'd call it a ride but I turned over a new leaf yesterday, bike commuting to work. I went without a car for many, many years when Il lived in Boulder but had gotten lazy.

Now, my truck is parked.

Rode my CX bike yesterday and my singlespeed today. I figured casual friday indicated the SS.

Not like it's a long ride or anything...3 miles.

There's also a great BMX track a block from my house. Racing every Fri and Sat night...and my best friend has a vintage PK Ripper XL he wants to sell.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Should I go back to my roots? Started racing BMX when I was in fifth grade...

Flaco

Gummee! 10-13-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco
I'm not sure I'd call it a ride but I turned over a new leaf yesterday, bike commuting to work. I went without a car for many, many years when Il lived in Boulder but had gotten lazy.

Now, my truck is parked.

Rode my CX bike yesterday and my singlespeed today. I figured casual friday indicated the SS.

Not like it's a long ride or anything...3 miles.

There's also a great BMX track a block from my house. Racing every Fri and Sat night...and my best friend has a vintage PK Ripper XL he wants to sell.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Should I go back to my roots? Started racing BMX when I was in fifth grade...

Flaco

I've never tried BMX. LOOKS like a hoot...

Rode to work too! Tempo on the way in. LSD (well, sorta) on the way home. 40min in. 61min out.

:ricky

M

elchulopadre 10-13-2006 07:04 PM

Man. I've been pretty negligent of my pedalling duties.

Too late for tonight, but tomorrow I'm waking up in the wee hours and going at it. I'll probably make it two blocks, lose my breath, and walk back.

:bluduh

Gummee! 10-13-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Man. I've been pretty negligent of my pedalling duties.

Too late for tonight, but tomorrow I'm waking up in the wee hours and going at it. I'll probably make it two blocks, lose my breath, and walk back.

Its a start!

Next time... THREE blocks!!

M

elchulopadre 10-14-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Its a start!

Next time... THREE blocks!!

M

Woohoo! :clap

Woke up this morning. Took a look at my bicycle shorts, which I'd left in plain sight. Stared 'em squarely in the spandex, and gave 'em a good ol' :fyyff and rolled right over.

Like they were takin' any of that. When I woke up again, there they were.

Fine, fine. I put them on. Wow, are they REALLY this tight? :uhoh

Next was my HRM chest strap. Wow, is this REALLY this tight? :uhoh

Finished gearing up, had a few glasses of water, and off I went. Same route I usually <s>do</s> did, except I now live on the other end of the Miami Mountain.

Firstly, my drivetrain was beautifully quiet. I'd fiddled with it a week before, armed with Zinn & the art of Road Bike Maintenance, but hadn't yet tested it out on the road. My first experience drive-train wrenching had been a success - no more chatter, quick, accurate shifting, the works. w00t!

:clap

Second, I climbed the bridge at a furious pace. I whooshed past another roadie. I think I was climbing at over 16 mph.

In the following 7 miles or so, I passed every single bicycle I spotted in front of me. One or two roadies, but most of 'em MTBs, hybrids, or cruisers.

I got to my dad's apartment (my original point of departure) for a quick drink and a breather. I stopped the computer...

FIRST AVG SPEED ABOVE 20! :clap :clap :clap

So, after recouping for a few, I turned around and came back home.

Again, I passed every single bike I spotted. When the bridge came up, I cranked up at over 17 mph. I backed off as I hit the top, as my heart rate was at 200 :eek1

I coasted downhill and pedalled back to my pad. Stopped the computer... Average speed of 23.4 mph!!!

w00t. I was kinda lacking in the motivation department, but now I'm pumped to go back out and keep on progressing. All I can think of is how much better I'd be if I'd have spent more pedal time over the past few weeks, both by improving my heart/lung capacity and my, er, power-to-weight ratio.

I'm wearing a shit-eating grin right now, and y'all can't do a damn thing about it :D

Gummee! 10-15-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Woohoo! :clap

Woke up this morning. Took a look at my bicycle shorts, which I'd left in plain sight. Stared 'em squarely in the spandex, and gave 'em a good ol' :fyyff and rolled right over.

Like they were takin' any of that. When I woke up again, there they were.

Fine, fine. I put them on. Wow, are they REALLY this tight? :uhoh

Next was my HRM chest strap. Wow, is this REALLY this tight? :uhoh

Finished gearing up, had a few glasses of water, and off I went. Same route I usually <S>do</S> did, except I now live on the other end of the Miami Mountain.

Firstly, my drivetrain was beautifully quiet. I'd fiddled with it a week before, armed with Zinn & the art of Road Bike Maintenance, but hadn't yet tested it out on the road. My first experience drive-train wrenching had been a success - no more chatter, quick, accurate shifting, the works. w00t!

Second, I climbed the bridge at a furious pace. I whooshed past another roadie. I think I was climbing at over 16 mph.

In the following 7 miles or so, I passed every single bicycle I spotted in front of me. One or two roadies, but most of 'em MTBs, hybrids, or cruisers.

I got to my dad's apartment (my original point of departure) for a quick drink and a breather. I stopped the computer...

FIRST AVG SPEED ABOVE 20! :clap :clap :clap

So, after recouping for a few, I turned around and came back home.

Again, I passed every single bike I spotted. When the bridge came up, I cranked up at over 17 mph. I backed off as I hit the top, as my heart rate was at 200 :eek1

I coasted downhill and pedalled back to my pad. Stopped the computer... Average speed of 23.4 mph!!!

w00t. I was kinda lacking in the motivation department, but now I'm pumped to go back out and keep on progressing. All I can think of is how much better I'd be if I'd have spent more pedal time over the past few weeks, both by improving my heart/lung capacity and my, er, power-to-weight ratio.

I'm wearing a shit-eating grin right now, and y'all can't do a damn thing about it :D

Any follow on ride reports?

:ear

M

Gummee! 10-15-2006 07:02 PM

So no shit... there I was:

Riding my MC to work after 2 days of bicycle commuting. I'd PLANNED on racing 'cross this AM, but a pair of tired legs and a little pride (don't wanna be DFL this week TOO!) got in the way.

Went for a walk in the park with the GF, ate some leftover Thai, and hopped down the bunny trail to work. We were consistently busy till 1530, when something happened and the store became a ghost town. :confused Yes, I showered! :dunno

Picked back up again after 1700. Just in time to go home.

M

Zodiac 10-15-2006 07:09 PM

Checking in too -

did 14 late last night, then got up and did another 14 (faster this time) early this morning.

Realized I need some long tights since it's really chilly doing over 20 mph in just shorts (it was in mid 40's low 50's).

Can't belive what a difference it was going from the crank brother pedals to a pair of Looks. The Looks with the road shoes are so much more slippery when "covering the pedal" at a light or mounting/dismounting. there's also alot more float side to side.

Lovin my new specialized shoes too.

Omi 10-15-2006 07:25 PM

I was feeling a little better from my cold today, so my girlfriend and I rode down to the DC green festival. They had free valet bicycle parking, and half price tickets for those who rode in! :clap The lot was full of hundreds of bikes, but everything was very nice and organized. Checking in and out was a breeze. Riding home, I rode a wheelie for 4 blocks at around 20mph. Not my best one ever, but it sure was fun passing all the cars sitting in traffic on my back wheel. :ricky What a fun day.

gambrinus 10-15-2006 07:38 PM

Went for a ride after work on Friday... went by the local shop and was just checking with the owner / mechanic / janitor / parts guy etc, about when i could schedule a service for my bike. He grabbed the bike and did it on the spot:clap Fresh tape, snappy shifting wooo hooo. Back and the trail for a nice, but short , ride.

Too many beers, not enough miles.

RW

Gummee! 10-15-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
Too many beers, not enough miles.

RW

Ain't that the way it works?

:baldy

I've been doing 2-a-days commuting and the shit's STILL not falling off nearly as fast as it went on! :umph

At it again tomorrow. They pay me $.12/mi to commute by bicycle. I figger 23-ish days gets me a pair of Microsensor Bib Shorts. :deal 'Course, if they pay me for miles ridden and not the quickest way, I'll be there MUCH quicker :evil

M

Oznerol 10-15-2006 10:07 PM

Pseudo-cross

On Askel's recent bike thread, someone planted the idea in my head of taking my Volpe to Middlesex Fells, a mountain biking spot very near where I live. I've ridden there before, so I knew there'd be a lot of areas where I'd need to dismount and carry or walk the bike, but all the same, it sounded like fun.

So I took the wheels off of my old flat-bar hybrid, fit them with some 40mm knobbies, replaced the 8spd cassette with a spare 11-32 9spd I had sitting around, and put them on the Volpe. The rear wheel in question has a 135mm hub, and the frame is spaced for 130, but it has enough flex to take the wider hub, and the fat tires clear the frame easily. I never ride the hybrid any more, anyways, so I think this is going to become my permanent "off-pavement" wheelset.

The ride I took was a 6.5 mile loop, with several segments of rough single track, but also a lot of fast gravel and sand areas. I found that this bike is at least as competent in the rough stuff as the hybrid, and of course much faster and more fun on the fire roads.

I had one pretty spectacular get-off. I'd just come down a rocky slope, and the jostling had made my glasses slide down my nose a bit. I thought things had smoothed out enough that I could take one hand off the handlebars to adjust my glasses, but as I did so, I hit a rock that tore the bars out of my other hand and sent me flying. I dug a small trench with my face that ended a few inches from a dinner-plate size rock that would have really ruined my day. As it was, the visor of my helmet took most of the impact, and the only real injury to me was a scraped up knee. The bike was fine.

elchulopadre 10-15-2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Any follow on ride reports?

:ear

M

Nope. Today was the morning after the night before, though :loaded so I gave myself a 'bye'. It would have been a bad idea to go pedalling, seeing as I woke up at 2 and it's HOT 'round here at those hours.

And I'm having a late night tonight (work-related) so I probably won't have the energy to go pedal at 6 am. I will, however, join a game of volleyball in the evening, so all is not lost.

I'm definitely re-motivated to keep on pedalling, though. Definitely a high to get back on the bike.

Ken 10-16-2006 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
Riding home, I rode a wheelie for 4 blocks at around 20mph. Not my best one ever, but it sure was fun passing all the cars sitting in traffic on my back wheel. :ricky .

Do what???

What kind of bike???

Do what :huh

Ken 10-16-2006 07:06 AM

Here's a good question... what is the best bike for doing wheelies on???

BTW... I bought and learned to ride a unicycle for my 40th birthday :evil (6 years ago)

A unicycle seems to be more anaerobic then aerobic exercise... to balance and stay on the bike I'm always tight and sprinting.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:02 AM.