ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pierce 08-20-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
That is 1999 Once team colors. So, it's got some age on it for $350.

Bikepedia shows this as the closest thing, a 1999 Giant TCR 2R, but there's a lot of differences.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...R+2R&Type=bike

http://www.bikepedia.com/Images/imag...R.JPG&f=Photos

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23kd3...9a77871c33.jpg

the paint is subtly different, the stem, the seatpost are very different. The 99 bike is 105, not 600 (which is a much older group, from the 80s).

so, I dunno.

EvilGenius 08-20-2010 01:37 PM

There's a bikepedia!?

pierce 08-20-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Cool, that just makes it a little easier as far as knowing what to look for.

How far back does the 'Cross style bike go?

Will I be able to find cross bikes more than 10 years old, or is it a pretty new thing?

Cyclecross goes back at least to the mid 1970s, but in those days, it was done on a conventional steel race bike, with some modifications (5 speed gearing, knobby tubulars). It was almost exclusively a european thing, with only a few pockets of crossers on the left and east coast. First cross bike I saw was in the late 70s, it was a Bianchi Team frame (beautiful piece of Columbus SL/SP tubing with criterium geometry), with campy parts, and said single chainwheel with guard rings.

Per bikepedia.com, Specialized didn't start selling their Tricross until 2006. Kona's Jake the Snake debuted in 1998

dedicated cross bikes sold off the shelf are a fairly recent phenomena.

Gummee! 08-20-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
Cyclecross goes back at least to the mid *1920s*, but in those days, it was done on a conventional steel race bike, with some modifications (5 speed gearing, knobby tubulars). It was almost exclusively a european thing, with only a few pockets of crossers on the left and east coast. First cross bike I saw was in the late 70s, it was a Bianchi Team frame (beautiful piece of Columbus SL/SP tubing with criterium geometry), with campy parts, and said single chainwheel with guard rings.

Per bikepedia.com, Specialized didn't start selling their Tricross until 2006. Kona's Jake the Snake debuted in 1998

Fixt to possibly reflect reality. It may have been even earlier than the 20s that cross was introduced. I don't feel like looking it up right now, so there.

AFA cross bikes goes: yeah, they're a recent development in 'mainstream' cycling brands. There's been cross around lots longer than its been 'popular.' :nod Me? I'm glad its popular. :nod More people out riding = mo bettah.

That Giant aero bike is way new. That style aero post didn't come about till the last few years. Till 2007- or so, all bikes pretty much had round seatposts with maybe an aero section: see Giant's original offerings.

M

EvilGenius 08-20-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
Cyclecross goes back at least to the mid 1970s, but in those days, it was done on a conventional steel race bike, with some modifications (5 speed gearing, knobby tubulars). It was almost exclusively a european thing, with only a few pockets of crossers on the left and east coast. First cross bike I saw was in the late 70s, it was a Bianchi Team frame (beautiful piece of Columbus SL/SP tubing with criterium geometry), with campy parts, and said single chainwheel with guard rings.

What should I be looking for to ID one?

pierce 08-20-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
There's a bikepedia!?

www.bikepedia.com

it doesn't farther back than mid 90s.

scorpion 08-20-2010 02:18 PM

My good friend and bicycle riding partner was involved in a serious accident last night on the road. Over the bars at a high rate of speed NO HELMET
He's in ICU all f*ked up with head trama awaiting brain surgery. His wife is 8 mos pregnant.

WEAR YOU HELMET!

Mercury264 08-20-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion
My good friend and bicycle riding partner was involved in a serious accident last night on the road. Over the bars at a high rate of speed NO HELMET
He's in ICU all f*ked up with head trama awaiting brain surgery. His wife is 8 mos pregnant.

WEAR YOU HELMET!

Damn :huh

Very best wishes to your friend.

EvilGenius 08-20-2010 02:39 PM

Ouch!

Good luck to him!

rbrsddn 08-20-2010 02:50 PM

I hope he recovers fully, and wears a helmet from now on! I've landed on my head hard a couple of times, totally sqaushing one Bell years ago. Won't ride without one. Nfw.

scorpion 08-20-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
I hope he recovers fully, and wears a helmet from now on! I've landed on my head hard a couple of times, totally sqaushing one Bell years ago. Won't ride without one. Nfw.

Ironically, I posted here a few months ago about my buddy who refused to wear a helmet. We ride ALOT so the odds are against us for a wreck.

I nagged him for over a year about it too.

EvilGenius 08-20-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion
Ironically, I posted here a few months ago about my buddy who refused to wear a helmet. We ride ALOT so the odds are against us for a wreck.

I nagged him for over a year about it too.

It always hurts more when you see it coming.

:cry

jocflier 08-20-2010 03:56 PM

I will light a candle for him. bummer.

SilkMoneyLove 08-20-2010 04:02 PM

Damn

That does suck. I get teased by my neighbors for wearing a helmet on my bicycle. I say the ground is just as hard and I try to ride fast. They are good guys, but they are HD riders. Two of them have kids now, and at least one of them wears a helmet on MC rides, so it is catching on.

I am a cheapskate though so I have a cheap road bike (Kent GMC Denali) and a cheap mountainbike (something else from Wallymart) and a cheap Schwinn helmet from Target. But, I am out riding and have done hundreds of miles this year.:clap

Mr Head 08-20-2010 04:28 PM

Always sad to hear of these.
I wear a helmet even when I trim the palm trees. one of those 7' seed pod falling from 25 feet up can really do some damage.
My two daughters grew up wearing helmets on bicycles as toddlers and tricycles and even inline skates.

I hope all goes well for this rider.

The older I get the harder it is for me to forget little notices like this or how hard that ground and those cars are. How a year after breaking my ribs they still hurt when I get cold or work just that little bit too hard. I guess that is part of getting older. Part of why I have slowed down, and 80% is fast or far enough. Growing older has not diminished the danger that is out there but it does seem to bring it into focus a little too clearly at times.

Again, your friend will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:58 PM.