ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

ducnut 08-25-2010 09:12 AM

For those who care, the 2011 Specialized product line is up at their site.

Mr Head 08-25-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut

The blue and white Roubaix is nice looking, but I'll need a few months to wear out the 2010 I just got a couple of weeks ago, and only rode once.

Stinez 08-25-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

That high end Sirrus has sure gone...high end. :huh

PS I'm not arachnophobic but I'd still avoid riding through those webs if at all possible. :deal

rxcoop 08-25-2010 11:59 AM

likewise the 2011 line for Trek is up....

SeaBass 08-25-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

I did my first night ride, last night. I started out on the rail-to-trail for 12 miles then took off out through the country and made a loop back to town. I managed 35 miles. I met 1 car and had 1 pass me in 23 miles of road riding. I had a nice breeze, full moon, and plenty of tranquility. Definitely, one of my better rides.

Unfortunately, lights don't give a good sense of terrain. Many of the country roads, around here, have extremely soft areas. I hit one of those and had to bail off the left side. I walked out of it, jumped on the bike, only to hit another one a hundred yards later. I wasn't so fortunate on that one and fell on my right side. Luckily, it was like falling on a beach of gravel. Another thing is, what looks like road patch can be a pothole. It's very hard to differentiate color in the darkness. Lastly, the trail is like a tunnel in the trees, in a lot of places. The critters like to build webs to catch other critters. Some of the webs spanned the whole trail, like 12'-15' across. I could see them, even with a limited light source. Worse yet I could see what had made them and managed to snag a couple critters while blowing through. I'm arachnophobic, so I won't be on the trail, in the future, at night.

This was the first passenger I picked up, riding the aerobar (cell pic). My bike and myself were covered in webs, by the time I left the trail. Ugh!
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...deSpiders3.jpg

I didn't know I snagged this one. I felt something on my head and thought "Spider!!!!". I discovered this one, 12 miles after leaving the trail, so it'd been up there a while. It had a fly in its mouth. Creepy!
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ideSpiders.jpg

Did a little late night country road spin myself and wound up running over something which I think was a toad. I felt a small bump and some wet mass kicked up off the back of my front tire and hit my right shin. I couldn't see what it was. I think i yelled "WTF" or something because it spooked me.

Stinez 08-25-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxcoop
likewise the 2011 line for Trek is up....

I saw that they had a new site "introducing" the 2011 bikes but I kept getting an error message when I tried to look at the bikes. :deal

I guess it could be too busy... :dunno

Dahveed 08-25-2010 01:28 PM

Texas Cyclists

An organization Bike Texas.org is passing a petition to PREVENT cities from banning cyclists from using the road. This has been a problem from a few little rural cities wanting to prohibit the use of "their" roads by cyclists.

If you live in Texas and wish to sign this petition (or just read more about it) it can be found here.

Thanks for your attention, we now return you to your regularly schedule forum...

Mercury264 08-25-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimble

I did see that but I just bought a Lezyne so I'll see how I get on with that.

ducnut 08-25-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
That high end Sirrus has sure gone...high end. :huh

They gotta' compete with that Trek carbon fixie thing those guys came up with. I saw where someone else just came out with a carbon city bike, too. I guess there's a market (I don't see it), yet, very few mfrs see a need for touring bikes (huge opportunity).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHead
The blue and white Roubaix is nice looking, but I'll need a few months to wear out the 2010 I just got a couple of weeks ago, and only rode once.

I was diggin' on the Roubaix Elite Compact Apex in Carbon/Gloss Gold.

Forgot: They really screwed with the Tricross lineup. If you want any kind of carbon, you gotta' go with the CruX Expert Carbon ($2500), which means no eyelets whatsoever. The Tricross is only available in a triple 105 setup, or less. They offer a CruX Comp with Apex, but, nothing in the Tricross where it makes sense. They should at least offer something with carbon stays and eyelets for those who want a higher-end commuter/tour bike. I'm glad I bought my Tricross when I did.

rbrsddn 08-25-2010 04:18 PM

My riding buddy had a Trek Madone Carbon built for him this year. A mix of Ultegra and DA. I think it was over 7,000 bucks. Weighs about 15 lbs. A real nice bike.

Mr Head 08-25-2010 08:38 PM

Got in another hour tonight at about 16 mph average. Yes, it is a pretty flat course. It works though. Legs feel good. Weather is definitely cooling off. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll ride some more.

EvilGenius 08-25-2010 09:24 PM

Ouch.

:cry

goldan57 08-25-2010 09:50 PM

Hey dudes...Nice thread.
Pardon the subject change....
But I'll pass reading 1,100 posts, to see if we're sticking to 2 wheels rigs only.
So, Question..."Are there any here, who ride ONE Wheel"?
Just curious.

:norton

EvilGenius 08-25-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldan57
Hey dudes...Nice thread.
I'm not reading 16,000 posts to see, But are we sticking to 2 wheels here?
Are there any here, who ride One wheel? Just thought I'd ask.

:norton

Have you done a century on one wheel?

pierce 08-25-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Have you done a century on one wheel?

have you done one on two?

:photog

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:04 AM.