ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Stinez 08-23-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
If you buy a new computer, you want cadence. That's more important than the rest of the features.

That multi-tool is an excellent choice, as it has a chain tool and the 2mm and 2.5mm hex sizes that are used on cantilever brakes. It, also, has the 10mm wrench needed for the front straddle cable holder. I have this multi-tool. It's kinda' cool.

I have that inflator. It'll accept threaded cartridges in any size, otherwise non-threaded cartridges have to be the 16gram size. If you try to use paintball cartridges (12gram), the outer cage will not push them into the valve. You'll have to stuff something into the cage to take up the remaining space. DAMHIK.

Thanks for the info. :thumb

I've never used cadence and typically just rely on my legs, lungs and heart to keep me pedaling at a comfortable/bearable rate.
I could see where a heart rate monitor could come in handy for training but I'm not sure that I'd know how to gauge my needs with the cadence feature. :dunno

I like the looks of that tool but it seems to have more than I THINK I'd need.
I have a great big tool box at the hose and a complete kit for the truck so I'm not sure if I'd be duplicating and possibly carrying more than I'd need. Again ---> :dunno

I have a CO2 pump in each of my M/C travel kits but I'm not sure which cartridges I'm using in them. (I bought a case of them because they also work in my pellet gun but haven't looked at the size in a while. (No-threaded))

I need to do more research before moving forward. :deal

Thanks for the help. :super

VelvtRide 08-23-2010 01:44 PM

Serious question.

My dad is 58, slim at 180lbs and 5'11". He's an avid cyclist and, up until recently, has had no problems with riding a road bike on long distance rides(ie; 80+ miles).

Over the last month, he's changed his diet to a vegetarian one and he has begun having trouble with stamina towards the end of his longer rides, (ie:60+ miles). He's wondering if a specific diet the day before and/or right before the ride is the answer? He's never had to do that before, other than the regular high carb and hydration stuff.... power gels and whatnot while riding, too.

He feels that he may not be getting enough protein, and is trying to make up for that but wanted to post the question here to see if there are any other 'vegetarians' or similar eaters that have experienced this and what they have done about it. He has an appointment with his doctor for a physical, but that's not for a while and in the meantime, he still wants to ride.

Any suggestions? :ear

pierce 08-23-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvtRide
My dad is 58, slim at 180lbs and 5'11". He's an avid cyclist and, up until recently, has had no problems with riding a road bike on long distance rides(ie; 80+ miles).

Over the last month, he's changed his diet to a vegetarian one and he has begun having trouble with stamina towards the end of his longer rides, ie:60+ miles). He's wondering if a specific diet the day before and/or right before the ride is the answer? He's never had to do that before, other than the regular high carb and hydration stuff.... power gels and whatnot while riding, too.

He feels that he may not be getting enough protein, and is trying to make up for that but wanted to post the question here to see if there are any other 'vegetarians' or similar eaters that have experienced this and what they have done about it. He has an appointment with his doctor for a physical, but that's not for a while and in the meantime, he still wants to ride.

indeed, sounds to me like insufficient proteins, and its hard to find a proper source of complete protein in a vegetarian diet, most vegetable proteins are low density and/or incomplete. things like soy and whey based protein powders tend to be shy on a number of amino acids. Also, iron is important, needed to maintain red blood cells, and those are what carry oxygen to your muscles.

Stinez 08-23-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Over the last month, he's changed his diet to a vegetarian one and he has begun having trouble with stamina towards the end of his longer rides, ie:60+ miles). He's wondering if a specific diet the day before and/or right before the ride is the answer? He's never had to do that before, other than the regular high carb and hydration stuff.... power gels and whatnot while riding, too.

I don't have the answer but I do have a question.

Why would he change a diet that seems to have worked very well for him for 58 years? :scratch

VelvtRide 08-23-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
I don't have the answer but I do have a question.

Why would he change a diet that seems to have worked very well for him for 58 years? :scratch

It wasn't his 'diet' that worked for 58 yrs.... it was what he was eating worked for his bicycling needs. However, he doesn't wish to eat that way anymore, but still wants to continue cycling.

I read something on the 'net that showed how to calculate how much protein an individual needed by dividing his weight by 2.2 and then multiplying 0.8 - 1.8 (depending how active you are) and whatever number came up was what you were supposed to have in protein. I'm not sure this is correct as I seem to read more varying explanations on the same subject.

Anyone know of a reputable site that they KNOW has the correct info to go by?

EvilGenius 08-23-2010 03:05 PM

11 miles and it's 108* outside.

Never again.

VelvtRide 08-23-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
11 miles and it's 108* outside.

Never again.

I did that, too.

Once.

I feel your pain.

SilkMoneyLove 08-23-2010 04:07 PM

Edamame

My wife loves them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edamame

We eat meat too, but this seems to be a pretty good amount of protein for a veggie. Probably need more than one thing to get the right balance, but I hope this helps.

I did 10 miles today.

pierce 08-23-2010 04:13 PM

my vegetarian fanatic teenage boy who's fairly athletic eats a lot of Quinoa, which he boils (something like rice or barley), then sautes with olive oil, herbs, garlic, a little chili pepper and manages to make something fairly tasty. apparently this stuff is much higher in protein than most other grains and is also quite well balanced in all the essential amino acids.

it powers his backpacking marathons.

VelvtRide 08-23-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
my vegetarian fanatic teenage boy who's fairly athletic eats a lot of Quinoa, which he boils (something like rice or barley), then sautes with olive oil, herbs, garlic, a little chili pepper and manages to make something fairly tasty. apparently this stuff is much higher in protein than most other grains and is also quite well balanced in all the essential amino acids.

it powers his backpacking marathons.

Does he eat this the day before or the day of?

pierce 08-23-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Does he eat this the day before or the day of?

he lives on it :)

he takes a pound or three of it backpacking, and cooks it on the trails. I bet I left out that he spikes it up with grated cheese on top.

Bimble 08-23-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Anyone know of a reputable site that they KNOW has the correct info to go by?

Fitday's food log is a good tool to figure out how much carbohydrate, fat, and protein you are getting in a day.

As for a source to tell your dad how to get all the protein he needs, I don't know. I know I had a hard time eating enough last year to get the protein I needed and ultimately I didn't get enough, so I am interested in this as well.

Frankly, I just went back to lean meats and fish.

VelvtRide 08-23-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
he lives on it :)

he takes a pound or three of it backpacking, and cooks it on the trails. I bet I left out that he spikes it up with grated cheese on top.

Thanks! :thumb

VelvtRide 08-23-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimble
Fitday's food log is a good tool to figure out how much carbohydrate, fat, and protein you are getting in a day.

As for a source to tell your dad how to get all the protein he needs, I don't know. I know I had a hard time eating enough last year to get the protein I needed and ultimately I didn't get enough, so I am interested in this as well.

Frankly, I just went back to lean meats and fish.

Thanks to you, too! Sorry you went back to meat/fish - when my dad gets it figured out, I'll make sure to post up. :D

Steverino 08-23-2010 06:18 PM

There are all kinds of protein supplements he can take. Trust me I have tried many over the past year. From shakes like Isopure or unjury to candy bar and cookie like supplements that have boatloads of protein. Most are whey based so he may not want to take them since they are made from milk. But they are not meat.

Most vitamin stores can help and will have a great selection.

Steve

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:20 PM.