ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

kobudo28 08-28-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot
I was bike shopping yesterday. Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of 29s over 26s?

I ride a very modified Jamis Eureka with some very nice lightweight tubeless rims, Ultegra road triple, etc. It rolls along pretty well.

I took a cyclocross bike for a ride yesterday with 700c x 32's on it and it was so much faster than my Jamis. I took it on the same trail I ride on a regular basis so it was very easy to notice the speed difference. I once rode alot until I screwed up my back so I know how fast a road bike is with 700C's on it. I have been away for a few years and have been riding my Mt. bike and forgotten just how much faster they really are, taking in to account the gearing differences.

I'm sure on a mt bike 29's would roll over obsticles a little easier much like having a 21" front on a dual sport, dirtbike. Depending on gearing, they might be a bit faster too.

Oznerol 08-28-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

I was bike shopping yesterday. Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of 29s over 26s?

For what sort of riding?

I've owned a couple of 29ers, and a couple of 26ers.

29er advantages:
  • Larger wheels can simply roll over larger obstacles, and smooth out the bumps when rolling over smaller ones (because the impact is spread out over a longer period), reducing rolling resistance
  • More stable when leaned over in sweeping turns
  • 700c rim diameter gives you access to a larger variety of pavement-oriented tires
26er advantages:
  • Lighter wheels at a given level of durability, and wheel weight is closer to the hub, further reducing moment of inertia (less weight to haul up hills, quicker acceleration, quicker turn initiation, more responsive suspension thanks to lower unsprung weight)
  • Can have shorter wheelbase, all other things being equal (makes for tighter turning radius, can more dramatically shift your weight to the front or rear to help navigate obstacles that are too large to just roll over)
  • Can have more suspension travel, all other things being equal
  • Still more the 'industry standard' for mountain bikes, meaning more options for tires, rims, forks, and frames. IMO this is really only an issue if you want a long-travel frame.

Most of my mountain biking is on fairly technical trails. For this riding, I strongly prefer the nimbleness of my 26ers; I do 95% of my mountain biking on one.

Take away the trickier technical stuff and put me on faster, smoother trails, and I'll have more fun on a 29er, railing through sweeping turns at high speed. I've eaten dirt a few times by washing out a 26er front wheel in a fast sweeping turn. I've never done that on a 29er, and I'm pretty sure that's not just because I've got less time on them than on 26ers.

pilot 08-28-2010 10:54 AM

The kid and I hit the trails today. I found out my "comfort" bike on single track is like riding my Versys on single track. :eek1 I'm thinking 29s would be to awkward in the tight stuff we have. Thanks for all the insight. I didn't know if there was something other than rolling over obstacles.

Steve, my motor needs an overhaul, but it is starting to shape up a bit. 9.5 miles today. Climbing is getting easier. :D

pierce 08-28-2010 11:28 AM

if you're a large person on a large frame mtn bike, 29er might make more sense, too. scaling the wheels along with the rest of it... much as a petite road racer might be better off on 650c wheels instead of 700c.

"29er" are just wide 700c rims, which are really 622mm at the beads. "26 inch" wheels are actually 559mm at the beads... so we're talking a 1.2" difference in radius [(622-559)/2 mm in inches], assuming the same width tires...

pierce 08-28-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
For what sort of riding?

I've owned a couple of 29ers, and a couple of 26ers.

29er advantages:
  • 700c rim diameter gives you access to a larger variety of pavement-oriented tires

note there's at least one great 26" pavement tire, the Ritchey Tom Slick. These things roll fast and smooth on pavement.

These *used* to be available on 700c too, I've got a set of older ones in 700x38, but afaik, they are only made as 26x1.0 and 26x1.4 now.

Oznerol 08-28-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

I found out my "comfort" bike on single track is like riding my Versys on single track. :eek1

Hah. Yeah, I did that a few times when I was first starting back on bicycles as an adult. My shins are scarred from those rides.

goldan57 08-28-2010 07:25 PM

I see my last post was deleted. Don't remember a 205? So...?

EvilGenius 08-28-2010 07:44 PM

Now I get antsy when I haven't ridden in a few days.

:bluduh

Mr Head 08-28-2010 08:04 PM

New parts perform nicely. Did 25 miles at about 16 mph average. Feels good. Amazing how flimsy that old cracked stem was.:huh

Steverino 08-28-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Now I get antsy when I haven't ridden in a few days.

:bluduh

Me too,tomorrow I head out to mtn bike at Massanutten. I better get my climbing shoes on.

EvilGenius 08-28-2010 09:30 PM

I think tomorrow I might try to do 10 miles with my kid in tow.

rbrsddn 08-29-2010 11:35 AM

Just got back from a 57 miler. 126 since Thursday. Fookin legs are killing me! Good pain though!:deal :D

jtemple 08-29-2010 11:56 AM

Took the Rocky Mountain in the dirt for the first time today. I love it! It was a quick ride; about 4 1/2 miles of singletrack.

Steverino 08-29-2010 12:13 PM

Fun day...

<iframe src="http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/46716285" width="465" frameborder="0" height="548"></iframe>

EvilGenius 08-29-2010 12:40 PM

That looks like fun except for the 2000ft ev. part.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:08 AM.