ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

k7 08-31-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Looking back though, I noticed this was for a Fargo. Unless you do anything really wacky, I don't think you'll have a problem selling off custom bags for that frame if you decide they don't work.

Probably not a huge market for custom framebags for a Kona Hoss though. :D

True. I'll probably go with a framebag and a handlebar bag that wraps around a dry bag. Combine that with the rack and topcase that I already have. Cheap/cheap.

pierce 08-31-2010 07:21 PM

i still have an eclipse pannier. has the aluminum rod that fits in the channel on the eclipse rack system from circa 1980, not made in a long time. I also have an eclipse 'basket' (folding frame with nylon mesh). don;t have the other panneir or basket of the original sets :photog

I'm thinking of installing Jandd hooks on them, and rigging a bungi for the bottom.
http://www.jandd.com/ProdImages/WebS...raps/Jhook.jpghttp://www.jandd.com/ProdImages/WebS.../bun3thumb.jpg

$7 worth of hardware per pack.:evil plus $7 shipping, :photog

JohnBryer 08-31-2010 08:21 PM

I did the Little Cottonwood Canyon hill climb this weekend. 10 miles, 8-10% grade the whole way. I think it's time for a better set of wheels for climbing.

Any suggestions for a great set of climbing wheels?

pierce 08-31-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBryer
I did the Little Cottonwood Canyon hill climb this weekend. 10 miles, 8-10% grade the whole way. I think it's time for a better set of wheels for climbing.

Any suggestions for a great set of climbing wheels?

it ain't the wheels, its the legs and lungs :)

ducnut 08-31-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
it ain't the wheels, its the legs and lungs :)

^^^ +1

And, your weight, the bike's weight, reality, etc. :lol3

JohnBryer 08-31-2010 08:57 PM

Lot of smart asses here. How about if you don't have any advice you just :stfu

I don't ride a KLR. I'd like to help stimulate the economy a bit.

pierce 08-31-2010 09:00 PM

can't forget the gears. lower gear takes longer but you can save your strength.

right now, I'm running a 34:28 lowest gear w/ 170mm cranks and a 700x38 wheel. I need it to get my out of shape 220 lbs up the 1 mile hill I live on. I'm way out of shape for any more climbing than that after a 15-25 mile run around the flats below me.

my old road bike has a 42:24 low. I'll get there again.... some day.

Gummee! 08-31-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Ahhh the smell of an iminent head explosion. Smells like....

Ahh hell. This isn't JM anymore. :cry

If you want my personal recomendation for pre-builts: Mavic Heliums (tubular)

Otherwise a GL330 in the back and a GEL280 in the front laced to D/A hubs is hard to beat. :nod

Course, what goes up must come down, so why not some Zipp 404s? :tb

M

pierce 08-31-2010 09:05 PM

offhand, we have no idea what kind of bike you have or what kind of wheels you're upgrading from or what kind of rider you are. how could anyone suggest what kind of wheel to buy?

that said, I wasn't kidding when I said legs are more important than wheels.

Fancy wheels have more advantage when you're going fast, I really don't think they help you climb hills. for hill climbing, I'd want a strong wheel that can handle side torques when you're standing on it, not a flyweight carbon fiber aero tri wheel. at climbing speeds, aero does very little.

ducnut 08-31-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

:huh Wow! Unlike the rest of the forum, this thread is pretty lighthearted. Sorry, you're not of a likemind.

We're just trying to save you some money. But, whatever.

JohnBryer 08-31-2010 09:11 PM

I'm leaning more towards clinchers because it's what I know. Never had the tubular's.

For spec purposes, I've got a Cannondale CAAD9 (2007) with some basic Mavic Kryserium Elite's. I'm most likely going to turn this bike into a winter rat, and go full carbon in the spring. I turn 40 in a bit more than 24 hours, and I ride 150-200 miles a week. 6 feet tall, 180.

If you're familiar with SLC, I live on the south bench, so getting home from the SLC valley is a nice 700 foot gain in elevation. It's very common to see 4000 feet of elevation gain in a ride around here.

I haven't really looked much into climbing wheels since I moved here from NC 3 years ago. Didn't really have mountains to ride outside my door in Charlotte! :rofl

ducnut 08-31-2010 09:17 PM

Giant has their 2011 stuff up.

Mr Head 08-31-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

I'm leaning more towards clinchers because it's what I know. Never had the tubular's.

For spec purposes, I've got a Cannondale CAAD9 (2007) with some basic Mavic Kryserium Elite's. I'm most likely going to turn this bike into a winter rat, and go full carbon in the spring. I turn 40 in a bit more than 24 hours, and I ride 150-200 miles a week. 6 feet tall, 180.

If you're familiar with SLC, I live on the south bench, so getting home from the SLC valley is a nice 700 foot gain in elevation. It's very common to see 4000 feet of elevation gain in a ride around here.

I haven't really looked much into climbing wheels since I moved here from NC 3 years ago. Didn't really have mountains to ride outside my door in Charlotte! :rofl

I'd recommend folding clinchers as I have used them most on the road. Top shelf silk sew-ups rock but so do top shelf silk clinchers. A little difference but today's deep "V" aero clincher rims are strong as far as I can see. I'll know more in a year or so.
Light wheels on a reasonable frame are a good investment.
Even better is good technique, form and a proper fit. Those can go a long way to making climbing a strength.

Good luck.

Gummee! 08-31-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Feh. I run pretty much the same wheels till I get into crits, track races: Mavic Reflex Ceramics with Mavic 571/2 hubs. 32holes. Wheels are older'n some kids I've ridden with.

I have a stack of box-section tubular rims 12" deep that I needta turn a few into track wheels so I can train/race again. :nod Tubular = muy bueno. :tb

M

pierce 09-01-2010 12:17 AM

we called them sewups in the 70s. i ran Clement Campionato del Mundo most of the time, and sometimes Criterium setas before they made decent 700c rims. god, the crits rode sweet, 250g complete tire, and about 120psi, phew. fly like a eagle. The delMundos lasted longer, a lot longer...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:42 AM.