ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

TheYeti 09-10-2010 07:07 PM

Peter White sells a German made bike called a Tout Terrain Metropolitan it's belt driven with a rolloff rear hubs. They call it a commuter bike. Pretty cool bike Spendy though.

/ 09-10-2010 07:25 PM

I had both my mt bike and road bike stolen from my garage a week back. I've given up hope that I will ever see them again, so I am looking to replace them, starting with the road bike. My current choice is a Motobecane titanium frame with Shimano 6700 LINK

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

/

Oznerol 09-10-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /
I had both my mt bike and road bike stolen from my garage a week back.

Man, that blows. One of my coworkers (who lives in NJ as well, come to think of it) had his Pinarello stolen from his garage a few weeks back.

/ 09-10-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
Man, that blows. One of my coworkers (who lives in NJ as well, come to think of it) had his Pinarello stolen from his garage a few weeks back.

We had about 9 bikes stolen in the neighborhood over the last few weeks, among them a Pinarello. Is your coworkers name Michael?

/

Oznerol 09-10-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /
We had about 9 bikes stolen in the neighborhood over the last few weeks, among them a Pinarello. Is your coworkers name Michael?

Yup.

Small world.

/ 09-10-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
Yup.

Small world.

Mike's pretty bummed out about this. Unfortunately our over paid police force have not been able to do much besides collect serial numbers and photos of the bikes.

I had just upgraded to to all Dura Ace group components last month for my LeMond Victiore titanium.

Oh well, it's time for a new bike.

/

Oznerol 09-10-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /
Mike's pretty bummed out about this. Unfortunately our over paid police force have not been able to do much besides collect serial numbers and photos of the bikes.

Yeah, he's had bad luck with bikes. IIRC he got the Pinarello last year after his previous bike's chainstay was cracked when a contractor rolled something heavy into it.

Gummee! 09-10-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Need some MTB help. I love my Anthem 1, but, am getting beat to death on tree roots and ruts. The bike wasn't designed for that kind of riding. So, I'm looking at upgrading to longer travel, 29er, and 2X10 gearing. I'm looking at a '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er.

My concern is the "brain" rear shock. Is it reliable? Is it a gimmick?

I've looked at a ton of sites, but, can't find any other bikes that meet my requirements and be under $4K. Thoughts/suggestions?

I've ridden one for an hour or so. Works as advertised as far as I can tell. Feels nice. Stiff when yer JRA and bouncy when ya need it.

What size is yer Anthem? :ear

M

Gummee! 09-10-2010 11:32 PM

Its a bummer when yer shit gets stolen. I hope they find the doods.

They found my first mtn bike a few years after it'd been stolen. By that time, I didn't have the $$ or desire to get it out of hock, so I let em sell it. They'd spray painted it Kawasaki green and basically had trashed it. Pass.

M

ducnut 09-11-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadester
Have you thought of a Niner WFO? Oops - just read the price better. XT build kit is $2600, frame is $2K.

I was dreaming Niner and Ellsworth, yesterday. I just can't justify that kind of money. If MTB-ing were my primary riding, then I could.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadester
Replacing your Anthem 26er with an Anthem 29er http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...er/7508/44088/ might get you there.

That's what one of the local fast guys suggested (who just bought a Trance X Advanced SL that hung at 21lbs :eek1). I'd like to get into a 2X10, though. The Specialized is setup as such.

I'm waiting on a response from the LBS as to what he wants to do on an Anthem 29er. My current Anthem was his personal bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
I would suggest looking at the new Camber 29er model also from specialized.

I looked at the Camber, but, the fork isn't compression adjustable.

Quote:

I have an Epic 29er and love it.

The closest real Specialized MTB shop is 100 miles away. They stock the Epic 29er, but, are willing to get me a Stumpjumper. I think I'm going to run the Tiger down there, today.

Quote:

Anyone who is setup with an account with QBP can get one of those bikes. I understand wanting to test ride a bike before you buy but I have never ridden any of my bikes before I bought.

It was more about the "steel is real" thing. I hadn't ridden a modern steel bike and didn't want to blindly jump in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by /
I had both my mt bike and road bike stolen from my garage a week back. I've given up hope that I will ever see them again, so I am looking to replace them, starting with the road bike. My current choice is a Motobecane titanium frame with Shimano 6700 LINK

Someone posted on the ti bike thread that they liked their Motobecane. I'd have to go Rival. But, that's just me. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
What size is yer Anthem? :ear

Medium. Still looks new.

Askel 09-11-2010 07:08 AM

New Fargo.

If those assholes do sliding rear dropouts this year.....

Oznerol 09-11-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
New Fargo.

I heard a rumor on a blog or a forum somewhere that it might be getting a swinging dropout, like this one on the Mariachi:

http://salsacycles.com/files/bikes/FM8526-03.jpg

But I don't see them doing that -- singlespeed-ability doesn't seem that useful in an off-road tourer. And I'm not sure how they'd make it work cleanly with rack mounts or the chainstay-mounted caliper (which IMO is a really nice touch both functionally and aesthetically).

ducnut 09-11-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
New Fargo.

Are you buying a Fargo or a Mukluk? Or, do you even know? :lol3

Askel 09-11-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Are you buying a Fargo or a Mukluk? Or, do you even know? :lol3

Yes. :bluduh

mtndragon 09-12-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /

/

I purchased this bike two weeks ago. I have been a mountain biker since the 90's, but this is the first road bike I've owned since I was a kid. My bike had a rough UPS ride, and it arrived with a crushed drop out on the carbon fiber fork, and a bent rear derailleur. The fork was obvious, and Bikes Direct immediately sent out a new fork. The rear derailleur was shifting fine in the top seven, but the bottom three were crap. LBS inspected it, and found a bent bolt and cage. Bikes Direct has sent out a replacement derailleur and hanger.

So, I have probably only ridden it about 70 miles, and never with all the gears shifting proper, but the frame rides nice and the bike is very versatile. If you look on the bike forums there is some negative press about the built in headset and 130 spacing in the rear for disc hubs, but overall, I think I can live with these issues.

The geometry of the frame is pretty traditional, but the titanium, parts, and price are all sweet. The seat, in a word, sucks. I spent a month riding and shopping for bikes before I bought, and even with all the hassles, I am still alright with my purchase. Bikes Direct has completely stood by their product, and my understanding from the LBS is they also recieve a small percentage of bikes that just have a rough go of it in transport.

Sorry about your stolen rides, and good luck with the replacement search-

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:04 PM.