ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

neanderthal 09-04-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
IME wimmens are better off w/ the saddle tilted *slightly* nose down. 1-3deg. Preserves the girly bits... Too much nose down does indeed load up the wrists cause insteda supporting yer weight on yer saddle, yer always pushing yerself up.

My $.02

M

I have stupidly long limbs (my arm span is about a foot greater than my height and i'm 5'9) and have my seat way high relative to the handlebars (road bike.) I do get numbness in my hands on long rides. Do I need to raise the handlebars?

Gummee! 09-04-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Thanks! :clap

The ex- has em on both (my) her bikes.

Seems to like em. I don't remember which Terry I bought for her tho. Sez her girly bits don't hurt.

Sit bones are another matter!

M

Gummee! 09-04-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neanderthal
I have stupidly long limbs (my arm span is about a foot greater than my height and i'm 5'9) and have my seat way high relative to the handlebars (road bike.) I do get numbness in my hands on long rides. Do I need to raise the handlebars?

Prolly

Without actually seeing you ride, I'm gonna hesittate to prescribe anything.

You'd make a great rock climber with an Ape Index like that! ...or a swimmer...

Recreational riders don't need/want their bars 2-3" lower than their saddles like the racer-types (:wave) so as long as its not above the level of yer saddle, raise it slowly till the pain goes away. Depending on what stem/bars yer running, this could be a few mm to a bunch. When in doubt, ask the LBS if its safe. :nod

M

neanderthal 09-04-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee
Prolly

Without actually seeing you ride, I'm gonna hesittate to prescribe anything.

You'd make a great rock climber with an Ape Index like that! ...or a swimmer...

Recreational riders don't need/want their bars 2-3" lower than their saddles like the racer-types () so as long as its not above the level of yer saddle, raise it slowly till the pain goes away. Depending on what stem/bars yer running, this could be a few mm to a bunch. When in doubt, ask the LBS if its safe.

Thanks.

It's more like 4- 6 inches lower. But I do use a suspension seat post which compresses a centimeter or so when my fat ass gets on the seat.

To raise, loosen the allen head bolt, pull up and retighten?

When I used to be an auto mechanic 20 years ago, my bike had a big nut around the stem; loosen, raise or lower, tighten.

Big Single 09-05-2010 06:28 AM

Adventure Cycling

http://www.surlybikes.com/photo_Gal/index.html

Gummee! 09-05-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neanderthal
Thanks.

It's more like 4- 6 inches lower. But I do use a suspension seat post which compresses a centimeter or so when my fat ass gets on the seat.

To raise, loosen the allen head bolt, pull up and retighten?

When I used to be an auto mechanic 20 years ago, my bike had a big nut around the stem; loosen, raise or lower, tighten.

That big nut around the stem didn't do anything for the raising and lowering of the stem. That was the headset locknut. All that did was set the 'tension' on the bearings and keep things from loosening.

The thing that allowed your raising and lowering the stem was the bolt running thru the stem itself. Typically a 6mm bolt with an expander wedge at the bottom. :nod

IF you still have the same setup, loosen the stem bolt raise till you can see the 'don't go past here, dummy!' marks and tighten said stem bolt. Page back a bit to see what Mr Head did with his bike for pics. DO NOT touch the big nut on the headset. :nono

IF you have a threadless stem, then that's another set of bolts and a matter of spacers.

Park tools' website has excellent tutorials. :nod Watch a few. :nod

HTH

M

Gummee! 09-05-2010 10:02 AM

Just as a note: its good to see more new 'faces' in this here thread.

The more the merrier!

M

VelvtRide 09-05-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Single

Cool photos! Izzat Africa or Australia..... ?

RichBeBe 09-05-2010 10:56 AM

Frustrating...I haven't ridden nearly as much bicycles as I would have liked this year. I had a lot of shoulder pain, and it curtailed mountain biking, and was annoying on road riding. I also moved, and it was hotter than usual in our area.
I finally had my shoulder repaired (repaired a torn labrium, reattached partially torn bicep tendon, and cleaned up some other "stuff"), it hasn't even been a month but it is feeling really good and now I want to RIDE badly. Can't do it yet but I might ask my physical therapist if i could do some light riding on my girlfriends hybrid. It is so upright for me, that there is almost no reach to the bars. It isn't what I want but it will be on wheels, and have pedals.
I have been skipping huge chunks of this thread because it has been depressing. But it is glad to see a lot of new faces in here.

TheNedster 09-05-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Single

Hoe. Lee. Crap.:eek1

trailer Rails 09-05-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut

It is interesting that that article was written only 2 years ago and most of the information is wrong already. Things change too quickly in this industry.

trailer Rails 09-05-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadester
I've never HAD to reset - but when I think about it, once/twice/year, I reset. Never more than 3/4". Resetting just evens out where the bearing strips are in relation to each other - if it gets bad, reducing travel - the next hit will tamp that "long" one down and its good. I've got a MAX 140, limited to 115 to 29er it. I haven't had an issue with needing to pull the 'scope apart. Granted, I live in the desert - water/mud isn't an issue for me, dust/sand are. If I'm thinking about it, I'll skin back the boot and smear some more Finishline grease on, but never had an "O-Shit, shoulda looked sooner" moment. Keep the little air filter wiped clean and oil it when doing a service. MAX 140's are easy to work on - only special tool is an external BB wrench to take off the top cap.

I think the dry climate helps a lot. We seem to wear a lot more stuff out because of all the mud.

YakSpout 09-05-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti
My Daughter prfers the Terry Fly Gel.

That's what my wife rides. She's been really happy with it.

The day we put it down at the LBS' counter, a female rider said, "Oh, that's my favorite seat. I have one on my cross bike AND my century bike." We figured that was a pretty good endorsement.

TheYeti 09-05-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
That's what my wife rides. She's been really happy with it.

The day we put it down at the LBS' counter, a female rider said, "Oh, that's my favorite seat. I have one on my cross bike AND my century bike." We figured that was a pretty good endorsement.

I went through so many saddles in the 80's trying to find one that I found comfortable I probably spent a couple hundred bucks, so I found "theSaddle" I've stuck with it. It was a San Marco Rolls. I've bought a couple of Regels also but I still prefer the Rolls.

So VR when you find a saddle you like, stay with it. I've got three bikes all of them have either have Regal or Rolls. If I buy a new bike I buy a new Saddle ( Regal or Rolls) take the stock saddle and toss in the bike bin.

TheYeti 09-05-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Cool photos! Izzat Africa or Australia..... ?

Oz. At the bottom there is a link http://www.wildworks.co.nz/csr/

He has a blog pretty interesing, Ballsy, but interesting.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:29 PM.