ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Steverino 09-12-2010 04:28 PM

Found my 29r full suspension frame. Should be here in a few days. :thumb

Gummee! 09-12-2010 05:41 PM

Ooof. Legs. Tired.

2:42 on the bicycle. Went up some hills. :bluduh Went with a tailwind. :ricky Paid for that tailwind on the way back. :baldy

Cruising speed is coming back up towards the 30kph zone. :clap Uphill? Not as marked an improvement. :nah I looked at the speed going up the same hill a few weeks ago: 8.Xkph Today: 12.Xkph Greg LeMond was right: hills don't get easier, they get faster. Some of the little hills I was riding on the way back from the BIG hill I was riding 21-22kph and just spinning along. How much of that was side/tail wind and how much is fitness it up for debate. :patch

Either way, I felt good today. Right up until the 2-hr mark when the redneck with the horse trailer stomped on his Powerstroke and diesel smoked me. The bird flew on that one! Bastage. :bluduh Wheels were starting to fall off the cart by then... Still had most of an hour left at that point. :baldy

So there I was, a big iron bar in my hand as ESPN was askin me questions about deck reffing the UW Hockey tournament that I volunteered for this weekend. I hope I didn't sound as stoopit as I think I did. At the time, I was looking for ref's hands calling a foul, the time, the subs going in and out of the sub box, and etc. ie: there was lots going on and they didn't have my complete attention. :nod Oh well. Part of my 15min of fame.

M

pilot 09-13-2010 05:11 AM

I dropped the new bike off at the LBS Saturday after our 11 mile ride. They told me I didn't need a new shifter and derailleur, just a cable. They'll be doing a tune up and will throw a chain on and I'll get it back today or tomorrow. :D

Mr Head 09-13-2010 07:42 AM

Well, finally got back South and got enough chores done I could justify taking a ride.
I rode the Roubaix out to Paul's place and back. 28.5 miles and took me about 1:52. I was forced into the big gear on the last pitch of hill home. On the way inland I had about a 20 mph tail wind. :clap

Of course coming back that tailwind became a headwind and my speed dropped a good deal.
Felt great though to be back in the heat and on this bike.

Sadly spiders have moved into the Adventure and when I got to work this morning there was the dreaded smell of fuel. I'll have to check that before I hit the road tonight for home.
Oh, and both motorcycle tires were flat when I got home. :huh Aired up fine, I suspect the beads leak a bit.

Mercury264 09-13-2010 08:05 AM

Finally figured out my new GPS (bought a Nuvi 500 in the end - little big for the bike but it was a killer deal and I can use it in the car to replace my detested 2610...) and a route I had planned for a metric century.

Got out Saturday early, little chilly and windy (2 of the 3 things I hate when riding but what ya gonna do) and did about 60 miles in a little under 4 hours. I was kinda pissed actually since the route in MapSource said it was 63 miles :cry Struggled the last 10 miles or so but overall, pretty good ride. I really wish I could eat something when I'm riding - I just cannot face solid food and the best I can do is liquids (I use Cytomax) and some goo gel.

Anyway, 1st metric century (I know, but I'm counting it as a century :lol3) for a couple years and probably only the 2nd or 3rd I've ever done :clap

Cat0020 09-13-2010 08:56 AM

Saturday, I took advantage of local ski lift offering free lift ride up the mt. and ride down.. I got in 6 runs, until a wipeout due to front flat at downhill speed.. glad I had a fullface helmet on me:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_3916.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_3860.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_3870.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_3902.jpg

Stinez 09-13-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Saturday, I took advantage of local ski lift offering free lift ride up the mt. and ride down.. I got in 6 runs, until a wipeout due to front flat at downhill speed.. glad I had a fullface helmet on me:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_3916.jpg

Downhilling at the ski areas has always looked like great fun.

I traded an ADV inmate for the prize he won at an event (padded pressure pants too small for him) for what I won with the intent of using them for downhill riding but I just haven't pursued it because I keep seeing the people I'd do it with scabbed, broken and bent. :yikes

Gummee! 09-13-2010 04:28 PM

I've DHed at one resort in western MD once. I was on my S-Works carbon HT with a Mag21.

Not the best equipment for that particular style of riding. :nah

It was fun, but I'm much more an XC kinda guy. :dunno

Repacked the D/A BB on the Fetish this afternoon. It was loose and starting to make noises. The D/A BB is like the old style: ya gotta maintain the thing with its roller bearings AND ball bearings. Got it to where it spins smoothly with no play on the first adjustment. Lucky. I'm one of those that gets it the first time or spends a lot of time mucking about with it. Too tight. Too loose. :baldy

I have a local dood coming over this PM to try on/buy my Discos. I need dirt boots and the Discos ain't it.

M

Cat0020 09-13-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I've DHed at one resort in western MD once. I was on my S-Works carbon HT with a Mag21.

M

What you did isn't not DH riding, if you ride the same S-Works HT for a century road ride, you'd probably find road riding not your style neither.... :lol3

Using proper equipment make riding that much more enjoyable, seasoned rider such as yourself should know that.

Gummee! 09-13-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

What you did isn't not DH riding, if you ride the same S-Works HT for a century road ride, you'd probably find road riding not your style neither.... :lol3

Using proper equipment make riding that much more enjoyable, seasoned rider such as yourself should know that.

Back when I rode that mountain, there was no such thing as a DH bike really. Ya run whatcha brung. DS bikes were so new that not too many people had em. The AMP bikes were about the hottest things going... ...and you know how much suspension travel they had!

Its still not my gig regardless of equipment. No matter how much I dislike climbing I like to earn my downhills.

M

Askel 09-13-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Pfft. Showing up on a HT at a downhill[1] race and still beating somebody is a lot more fun.

And then doing a century[2] the day after.

[1]OK, Super-D. But that's the price you pay for not having real mountains nearby. I was still the only hardtail.

[2]OK, Metric. But hungover with 2.35" knobbies and warped rotors counts for something, right? :D (shink-shink-shink-shink all the way home....)

Cat0020 09-13-2010 06:05 PM

Might as well ride a fixed gear for a hilly century without a seat or pedals.

IMO if you can't enjoy the ride because you're not using the proper equipment, don't blame the ride not being your style.

trailer Rails 09-13-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

IMO if you can't enjoy the ride because you're not using the proper equipment, don't blame the ride not being your style.

x2 :deal

Gummee! 09-13-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

It wasn't the equipment, its the whole idea of the thing. DH isn't my bag regardless of how much suspension travel the bikes have.

If you enjoy it, go for it. You won't see me on a chairlift any time real soon. :nah You may see me pedaling up the hill tho!

M

Cat0020 09-13-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

It wasn't the equipment, its the whole idea of the thing. DH isn't my bag regardless of how much suspension travel the bikes have.

If you enjoy it, go for it. You won't see me on a chairlift any time real soon. :nah You may see me pedaling up the hill tho!

M

By the same token, I don't think it'd be your style to pedal a 50 lb. DH bike w/gobs of suspension travel up the ski slopes..

I could be wrong but seem to me you're contradicting yourself from your earlier comment:

Quote:

M

Right tool for the right job... if you want to enjoy your activity.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:12 AM.