ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

zippy 09-19-2010 05:10 AM

Fenders

http://www.velo-orange.com/fenders.html

I have the honjos on my trek 520 that gets ridden to work. They look really nice, were easy to install ,but are pricey.

ducnut 09-19-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Sweet present! You're quite an awesome dood to have put it all together for her like that. :raabia

Thanks!

I hope your riding is progressing well with your new ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I was out for a 3-hr ride today. Put the Ritchey Pro wheels on for the first time since I've been here. :thumb I'd put a 23t cassette on it. I found out that I'm not *quite* strong enough for the 39-23t combo around here just yet. :baldy Oh well.

...at about the furthest point away from home, my right knee is suddenly sore. Every time I try and stand up, there's pain at the 11 o'clock position (looking from the front) and when I try and put some power down, its still hurting. :bluduh Spin easy and I'm OK. Push on it and it hurts.

I've had patella issues, for years. The right was the worst. So, I had arthroscopy done on it, to no avail. Ortho doc said replacements are the only sure fix, with the amount of damage I have. I'm not ready for that and am not so sure of replacements, as they aren't 100% effective.

With that I don't ever try to push big gears, as it's too painful. I swapped the 53T/39T for a compact crank and went SRAM Apex mid-cage RD, on my tri bike. My Tricross is 48T/34T with a 12-27. Now, that I have my GF's 'cross setup with Apex, I'm going to take the Apex setup from my tri bike and put in on my 'cross. This will allow me to run a 11-32 that I have, and swap her back wheel (12-36), when I need something lower. I spin to keep the pain at bay.

I know it sucks. Your mind and heart say let's go, but, that nagging in the knees says otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBryer
2010 Cannondale Super6 with SRAM Red components.

Congrats! That a really nice bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
I'm looking closely at the construction on the 'nice' fenders, like SKS, Planet Bike, and I see something that kind of bothers me... the fender stays on most all of them stick up the sides of the fender. this looks like snag-city to me.

the classic fenders I used in the past, the stays were a U shaped loop, and there was nothing to snag on the sides. the sides were right length, instead of adjustable, and it all just worked very well.

is this something I should worry about, or is it a non-issue? anyone here ride with fenders?

The stays haven't been cut, in the picture.

Adjustable stays allow you to fine tune the curvature of the fender. This is important, if you have big feet, ride a short TT length, the bike has weird eyelet/mount positioning, etc.

As mentioned, Velo Orange has "old school" fenders. The Honjos are cool, but, VO has affordable alternatives, too. Soma has them, as well. Peter White has some nice alternatives. River City has wooden options, if you like that style.

SKS are longer than Planet Bike, if you're comparing those two.

The SKS "black" isn't really black. It's dark chocolate brown w/black stripes. You can, also, see what cut stays look like; there's just a plastic nipple sticking up. You'd have to see, in person, how that plastic nipple piece integrates with the fender mount.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/IMG_1068.jpg

You can see how I manipulated the front fender for toe overlap issues, in this picture. I've, since, added a spacer at the leading end of the rear fender to close the gap to the tire, behind the bottom bracket. I've, also, added flaps, since this picture.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/IMG_1064.jpg

Fenders are the only way to go. I don't get road oil, mud, etc all over me. I was too concerned with looking stodgy, but, after riding with 'em, I don't give a shit. They work and that's what matters.

Eyes Shut 09-19-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut

Fenders are the only way to go. I don't get road oil, mud, etc all over me. I was too concerned with looking stodgy, but, after riding with 'em, I don't give a shit. They work and that's what matters.

I should get fenders on my bike. After all, I ride a recumbent, who cares that I look even more stodgy? :lol3

ducnut 09-19-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyes Shut
I should get fenders on my bike. After all, I ride a recumbent, who cares that I look even more stodgy? :lol3

Bent riders definitely make a statement. :rofl

A neighbor has a Catrike(sp?) that I'd like to try.

Eyes Shut 09-19-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

A neighbor has a Catrike(sp?) that I'd like to try.

You should try it. I think that you'll find it's a kick to ride.

slackmeyer 09-19-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

I've had patella issues, for years. The right was the worst. So, I had arthroscopy done on it, to no avail. Ortho doc said replacements are the only sure fix, with the amount of damage I have. I'm not ready for that and am not so sure of replacements, as they aren't 100% effective.

With that I don't ever try to push big gears, as it's too painful. I swapped the 53T/39T for a compact crank and went SRAM Apex mid-cage RD, on my tri bike. My Tricross is 48T/34T with a 12-27. Now, that I have my GF's 'cross setup with Apex, I'm going to take the Apex setup from my tri bike and put in on my 'cross. This will allow me to run a 11-32 that I have, and swap her back wheel (12-36), when I need something lower. I spin to keep the pain at bay.

I know it sucks. Your mind and heart say let's go, but, that nagging in the knees says otherwise.

I've had patella issues for years too- starting when I was about 24, I'm 31 now. The result of lots and lots of hiking with a big pack. As long as I'm careful with my knees- spin up those hills, stay in the seat, when in doubt, downshift- they work fine. But if I abuse them, I'm not going to be doing much bicycling for a few weeks, and going down stairs is a very awkward procedure.

Knighthawk 09-19-2010 10:41 AM

I went out this morning and found me a nice 8 mile loop out at Ft. McClellan. Quiet, little to no traffic and I can get there in about 15 minutes after work. So I can leave the bike in the truck and hit it a couple times a week. :clap

Hey Mike, I lowered my seat about 3/4 of an inch and it made all the difference in the world. My boys thank you, I thank you and most importantly, Knightwife thanks you. :lol3

I rode the loop twice this morning and decided to stop off for a short break and pay my respects. These were German and Italian POWs that were brought to Ft. McClellan during WW II and died while here.

http://knighthawk.smugmug.com/Other/...01_34LyD-L.jpg

http://knighthawk.smugmug.com/Other/...53_gVwVG-L.jpg

http://knighthawk.smugmug.com/Other/...31_Rdvhq-L.jpg

Steverino 09-19-2010 12:00 PM

Anybody got a rear shock they want to sell?

Cat0020 09-19-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino
Anybody got a rear shock they want to sell?

Shock length?

what's your budget?

Steverino 09-19-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Shock length?

what's your budget?

Got to figure that out.

$250

Gummee! 09-19-2010 12:23 PM

GT's is blown?

:ear

Decdided to bail on an addl ride this AM due to sore knee(s). I'll go to UW Hockey here shortly and pick up again Mon with an easy ride on the new cleat placement.

Go back to NoVA or to stay here is the overriding question this week.

M

TheYeti 09-19-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

GT's is blown?

:ear

Decdided to bail on an addl ride this AM due to sore knee(s). I'll go to UW Hockey here shortly and pick up again Mon with an easy ride on the new cleat placement.

M

Good luck with the knees, hopefully you just over did it (to much too soon).
I had total knee replacment in both knees right one 6 mos, and left one 5 mos. ago They are doing great ,still got some stiffness and a little pain now and then. it's nice riding and walking with little or No pain . It's just hard getting back in shape,I'll get there little by little.

pierce 09-19-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Shock length?

I think you need shock length, spring rate (or range if its an air shock) and shock travel to fully spec a shock. the spring rate would be a function of the (suspension travel / shock travel) * 0.30 * weight on that wheel. (where 0.30 represents the static preload. I probably have the math wrong :D

Steverino 09-19-2010 03:07 PM

The flip up fill lever is leaking. Seems to be a chronic problem with this model of Rockshox. I guess I will just have to upgrade. That sucks...:D

Trying to figure out what length and travel I need. This one has no air so measuring its length is not a valid way.

Suggestions?

ducnut 09-19-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

M

You in Denver, now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino
Trying to figure out what length and travel I need. This one has no air so measuring its length is not a valid way.

Suggestions?

Hmmm. The SRAM site show it to be an air sprung shock. There's no Schrader valve on it?

You should be able to extend it by hand, if it's not all the way extended. Just measure the distance the wiper/shaft seal would travel on the shaft. It'll compress almost all the way to the end.

I'd think you could have that shock rebuilt for way less than $250.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:07 PM.