ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pierce 09-14-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
The problem with plan B is that you've got to have some kind of support all the way out there. If you just support the BB, you have less material and support needed. Supporting the bike's rear wheel would require extra strength, as the weight will be leveraged. Plus, I'd have to take the rack off after each use because of it's amount of extention. A BB holder could be left on the bike all the time..

my mental picture was a rectangular U shape of the right diameter tubing that would hold the clamp for the Boa's rear wheel holder on the short middle part of said U, this U would be inserted into some clamps on the rack deck so it could be readily removed. also, the boa can be pivoted several inches forward/backward for different wheelbase bikes. this would be harder with a BB clamp, even if thats only half the wheelbase (fork to BB distance).

ducnut 09-15-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
my mental picture was a rectangular U shape of the right diameter tubing that would hold the clamp for the Boa's rear wheel holder on the short middle part of said U, this U would be inserted into some clamps on the rack deck so it could be readily removed. also, the boa can be pivoted several inches forward/backward for different wheelbase bikes. this would be harder with a BB clamp, even if thats only half the wheelbase (fork to BB distance).

Ahh. That makes sense.

Stinez 09-15-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
Looks like I'll do my first bikepacking trip on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving Day - Nov. 26 & 27.

Here's the route:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...iverramble.jpg

If anyone wants to join me, I'd love the company. It's two days, about 70-miles and I don't plan to get in a rush.

The scenery should be beautiful - from the site linked above:

http://www.topofusion.com/images/diary/grr18_resize.jpg

You're planning to do a 70 miler in 2 days and you "don't plan to get in a rush"? :huh

I don't think we've done more than 20 in a day and that was high country *mosquito driven so I'm not sure that counts. :evil

OTOH I guess I could do back to back 35 mile days IF it was slightly down hill the whole way. :D

Have fun be careful out there. :thumb

*Millions of BIG MFers

k7 09-15-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
You're planning to do a 70 miler in 2 days and you "don't plan to get in a rush"? :huh

I don't think we've done more than 20 in a day and that was high country *mosquito driven so I'm not sure that counts. :evil

OTOH I guess I could do back to back 35 mile days IF it was slightly down hill the whole way. :D

Have fun be careful out there. :thumb

*Millions of BIG MFers

Maybe - there's a good mixture of dirt roads and single track. I've reviewed the tracks in detail and there's a bit of walking/hike-a-bike in there. There are guys that have done this in a single day - they're a lot younger/bolder than me - so two days shouldn't be a stretch.

pierce 09-15-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
You're planning to do a 70 miler in 2 days and you "don't plan to get in a rush"? :huh

I don't think we've done more than 20 in a day and that was high country *mosquito driven so I'm not sure that counts. :evil

OTOH I guess I could do back to back 35 mile days IF it was slightly down hill the whole way. :D

I'm thinking your confusing BIKEpacking with BACKpacking, I dunno.

k7 09-15-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
I'm thinking your confusing BIKEpacking with BACKpacking, I dunno.

Didn't think about that - 70-miles backpacking: no how/no way...not at my age. :gerg

Stinez 09-15-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
Maybe - there's a good mixture of dirt roads and single track. I've reviewed the tracks in detail and there's a bit of walking/hike-a-bike in there. There are guys that have done this in a single day - they're a lot younger/bolder than me - so two days shouldn't be a stretch.

Pierce is right. :nod

I'm pulling my head out of my ass as I type. :deal

:augie

Now that I'm clear on the plan I think it sounds friggin outstanding. :clap

k7 09-15-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
Pierce is right. :nod

I'm pulling my head out of my ass as I type. :deal

:augie

Now that I'm clear on the plan I think it sounds friggin outstanding. :clap

No worries! You did give me pause to think about it again and while it didn't change my thoughts, anything that's safety-related and gives pause is a worthwhile exercise.

When March or April rolls around, I'll consider doing this one again. The flowers should be outstanding. The one thing I miss about motorcycling is the adventure-type trips. This should replace that nicely although I will always miss the twist of the right wrist!

Stinez 09-15-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
No worries! You did give me pause to think about it again and while it didn't change my thoughts, anything that's safety-related and gives pause is a worthwhile exercise.

When March or April rolls around, I'll consider doing this one again. The flowers should be outstanding. The one thing I miss about motorcycling is the adventure-type trips. This should replace that nicely although I will always miss the twist of the right wrist!

Have you given up M/C riding? :dunno

k7 09-15-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
Have you given up M/C riding? :dunno

For at least a few years. We're about 45 days from being debt-free and then I have two other financial priorities: remodel the current home and save/invest for a home in Brazil.

On top of that, I have exten$ive travel plans (2x trips to Brazil next year, Olympics in 2012, etc) and health goals - I can't justify the cost right now.

My next bike may not occur until we relocate to Brazil. That's the current thought process anyways.

Stinez 09-15-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
For at least a few years. We're about 45 days from being debt-free and then I have two other financial priorities: remodel the current home and save/invest for a home in Brazil.

On top of that, I have exten$ive travel plans (2x trips to Brazil next year, Olympics in 2012, etc) and health goals - I can't justify the cost right now.

My next bike may not occur until we relocate to Brazil. That's the current thought process anyways.

It's good to see that the goals are worthy of the sacrifice. :thumb

k7 09-15-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
It's good to see that the goals are worthy of the sacrifice. :thumb

At times, it's awfully close to that Harley commercial about skipping the motorcycle for the dinette set. :bluduh

The health goals mean more than anything else and like you, I enjoy getting out and working up a good sweat by simply being active. As it is, I struggle enough keeping the weight off. :patch

Stinez 09-15-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
At times, it's awfully close to that Harley commercial about skipping the motorcycle for the dinette set. :bluduh

The health goals mean more than anything else and like you, I enjoy getting out and working up a good sweat by simply being active. As it is, I struggle enough keeping the weight off. :patch

Stay strong! :thumb

Askel 09-16-2010 08:34 AM

So, does anybody know where I can get something like this?:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...gle-speed.aspx

More specifically, that something shouldn't cost well over $300 like the above example.


What is it? A standard 135mm rear disc hub, but with a significantly shorter freehub body intended for single speed use. End result: more flange width which can yield a stronger wheel.

ducnut 09-16-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
So, does anybody know where I can get something like this?:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...gle-speed.aspx

More specifically, that something shouldn't cost well over $300 like the above example.


What is it? A standard 135mm rear disc hub, but with a significantly shorter freehub body intended for single speed use. End result: more flange width which can yield a stronger wheel.

I'm just throwing out potential suppliers of info/product.

Velo Orange: They do a lot of fixie/SS stuff.

Peter White: Outstanding, no BS wheelbuilder.

Harris Cyclery: Not much they don't know.

Velo Mine: Local to me. Can get anything. Excellent prices.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014