ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 09-17-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinez
Iím going to the first race in this SF Bay Area Cyclocross series, as a spectator, to see what itís all about.

Iím not planning to ride it but it does look interesting and with the second race being free with a DD214 I may just jump in and give it a go. :dunno

PS IF I join in Iíd put knobbies back on my older Cannondale for the race because I donít really want to beat up my commuter bike.

Most cross races aren't technical. Ride what fits best. :nod

Mtn bike: take off any bar ends and lock out the suspension if you can. I did my first few cross races on my F2000 with the fork locked out. Got my ass handed to me too. :nod Then again, I got my ass handed to me on a cross bike too, so take that with a grain of salt.

M

Gummee! 09-17-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
my comment about the gearing was that it seems to be missing any HIGH gears, like for getting to the forest trails via bike paths, etc, as well as having what looked like a ridiculously uber-low. 33:11 isn't a very tall high, 700x56c -err- 29x2.2" wheel or not. my bike path special (a 700x38 tired hybrid) runs a 50:13 high, and I regularly spin the next gear, 50:15 when flatlanding, saving the 50:13 for tailwinds and mild downgrades.

You also don't take that up goat paths like the mtn bikes go on. Different critters = different gear ratios.

I've ridden the 2x10. Its sweet! :ricky Didn't seem to work as well on the 29er I rode, but on the 26" bike it was the tits. Good enough that I'm thinking about it seriously. Last time this was tried (Ritchey tried it in the late 80s/early 90s), there just wasn't enough gears available. This time it may stick. :clap

M

pierce 09-17-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
You also don't take that up goat paths like the mtn bikes go on. Different critters = different gear ratios.

I've ridden the 2x10. Its sweet! :ricky Didn't seem to work as well on the 29er I rode, but on the 26" bike it was the tits. Good enough that I'm thinking about it seriously. Last time this was tried (Ritchey tried it in the late 80s/early 90s), there just wasn't enough gears available. This time it may stick. :clap

M

well, the other end of said 700x38 hybrid is a 34:28, which will let me get up some fairly steep stuff, even offroad, as long as I have traction with the 38c tire.... I have it geared as a 2x7, with a 50-34 front, and a 13-28 rear. having mountain biked quite a lot in the past, I can't say I ever found gears much below 1:1 to be of any use, so I'd think dropping that back to maybe a 11-28 or so, then using a 40:30 or something front would give a better range. I suppose having the tiny chain rings is good for rock clearance, god knows, I broke a few teeth off 52T chainrings riding my old road bikes on mountain trails in the pre-mtnbike days of the early 70s.

Knighthawk 09-17-2010 11:02 AM

I made it back in one piece. I may have overdone it for my first ride after 4 years of not being on a bicycle. But hey, I'm 75 lbs lighter than I was at the beginning of the year.

Anyway, I rode on the Chief Ladiga trail from Piedmont, AL to the Georgia border. The trail turns into the Silver Comet Trail at the border. 28 miles round trip. I actually feel pretty good. :clap

Time to go take a shower. :wave

http://knighthawk.smugmug.com/Other/...37_dKwvg-L.jpg

Gummee! 09-17-2010 11:03 AM

Yay! Go KH!

Go KH!

Now the trick is to do that 3x week. :nod ONCE is easy!

M

Knighthawk 09-17-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Yay! Go KH!

Go KH!

Now the trick is to do that 3x week. :nod ONCE is easy!

M

I know. The problem is Piedmont is a 40 minute drive from me. I need to find a place close by. There are a couple of guys at work that are avid riders, I'm going to talk to them next week and see if there are any places close by I can go ride after work

Gummee! 09-17-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knighthawk
I know. The problem is Piedmont is a 40 minute drive from me. I need to find a place close by. There are a couple of guys at work that are avid riders, I'm going to talk to them next week and see if there are any places close by I can go ride after work

In near the Arsenal?! I'd say there's places to ride! Least there looked like it when I was driving back and forth to Pelham Range from McClellan.

As long as you have some country roads, you have a place to ride. Don't need no steenkeen bike path!

(or go ride around McClellan like whatsisname did in his RR. :augie)

M

Knighthawk 09-17-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

In near the Arsenal?! I'd say there's places to ride! Least there looked like it when I was driving back and forth to Pelham Range from McClellan.

As long as you have some country roads, you have a place to ride. Don't need no steenkeen bike path!

(or go ride around McClellan like whatsisname did in his RR. :augie)

M

I thought about FT. McClellan. That's probably where I'll end up riding.

If I could find a 10 mile loop close by, I'd be happy. At least for a while.

I need to invest in a decent pair of bicycle shorts. :uhoh

VelvtRide 09-17-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

I made it back in one piece. I may have overdone it for my first ride after 4 years of not being on a bicycle. But hey, I'm 75 lbs lighter than I was at the beginning of the year.

Anyway, I rode on the Chief Ladiga trail from Piedmont, AL to the Georgia border. The trail turns into the Silver Comet Trail at the border. 28 miles round trip. I actually feel pretty good. :clap

Time to go take a shower. :wave

http://knighthawk.smugmug.com/Other/...37_dKwvg-L.jpg

:clap

How fast were you averaging? :ear

Gummee! 09-17-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

I thought about FT. McClellan. That's probably where I'll end up riding.

If I could find a 10 mile loop close by, I'd be happy. At least for a while.

I need to invest in a decent pair of bicycle shorts. :uhoh

Shorts help. :nod

Start with Performance Elites or similar. Stay away from gel no matter how tempting.

Mtn bike shorts are OK for short rides, but will start to bunch and chafe after a while.

M

Knighthawk 09-17-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvtRide
:clap

How fast were you averaging? :ear

:wave VR :raabia

Not fast at all. About 12-15 mph.

VelvtRide 09-17-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Not fast at all. About 12-15 mph.

:raabia

Fast enough! That's where I am now and it took me a whole lot longer to get there than you! Plus, I needed a different bike, too! :lol3

Knighthawk 09-17-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Shorts help. :nod

Start with Performance Elites or similar. Stay away from gel no matter how tempting.

Mtn bike shorts are OK for short rides, but will start to bunch and chafe after a while.

M

So what's the difference in all the shorts? :scratch

I have just been riding in my old black Army issue PT shorts. The boys got a little numb. :uhoh

Is there ant tips on adjusting my seat? I think I need to raise it just a tad, but should it have a slight forward tilt or keep it level/parallel with the ground?

:ear

Gummee! 09-17-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

So what's the difference in all the shorts? :scratch

I have just been riding in my old black Army issue PT shorts. The boys got a little numb. :uhoh

Is there ant tips on adjusting my seat? I think I need to raise it just a tad, but should it have a slight forward tilt or keep it level/parallel with the ground?

:ear

Numb prolly equals too high and possibly too squishy a seat. Squishy seats put pressure on spots where pressure's not supposed to be. Seat's supposed to be level to a hair down at the nose.

AFA shorts: padding, moisture control, etc. Gel is squishy. See above.

VERY simplified explanation... There's more, but that's the real basics.

M

Knighthawk 09-17-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Numb prolly equals too high and possibly too squishy a seat. Squishy seats put pressure on spots where pressure's not supposed to be. Seat's supposed to be level to a hair down at the nose.

AFA shorts: padding, moisture control, etc. Gel is squishy. See above.

VERY simplified explanation... There's more, but that's the real basics.

M

I really don't want to invest in a new seat, I'll play with it a little. I thought that if your seat height was adjusted properly, your leg would be fully extended at the bottom of the crank on a downstroke?

I really don't know a damn thing about riding. I'm such a n00b. :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:43 PM.