ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Cat0020 09-19-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino
Anybody got a rear shock they want to sell?

Shock length?

what's your budget?

Steverino 09-19-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Shock length?

what's your budget?

Got to figure that out.

$250

Gummee! 09-19-2010 12:23 PM

GT's is blown?

:ear

Decdided to bail on an addl ride this AM due to sore knee(s). I'll go to UW Hockey here shortly and pick up again Mon with an easy ride on the new cleat placement.

Go back to NoVA or to stay here is the overriding question this week.

M

TheYeti 09-19-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
GT's is blown?

:ear

Decdided to bail on an addl ride this AM due to sore knee(s). I'll go to UW Hockey here shortly and pick up again Mon with an easy ride on the new cleat placement.

M

Good luck with the knees, hopefully you just over did it (to much too soon).
I had total knee replacment in both knees right one 6 mos, and left one 5 mos. ago They are doing great ,still got some stiffness and a little pain now and then. it's nice riding and walking with little or No pain . It's just hard getting back in shape,I'll get there little by little.

pierce 09-19-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Shock length?

I think you need shock length, spring rate (or range if its an air shock) and shock travel to fully spec a shock. the spring rate would be a function of the (suspension travel / shock travel) * 0.30 * weight on that wheel. (where 0.30 represents the static preload. I probably have the math wrong :D

Steverino 09-19-2010 03:07 PM

The flip up fill lever is leaking. Seems to be a chronic problem with this model of Rockshox. I guess I will just have to upgrade. That sucks...:D

Trying to figure out what length and travel I need. This one has no air so measuring its length is not a valid way.

Suggestions?

ducnut 09-19-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!

M

You in Denver, now?

Quote:

Trying to figure out what length and travel I need. This one has no air so measuring its length is not a valid way.

Suggestions?

Hmmm. The SRAM site show it to be an air sprung shock. There's no Schrader valve on it?

You should be able to extend it by hand, if it's not all the way extended. Just measure the distance the wiper/shaft seal would travel on the shaft. It'll compress almost all the way to the end.

I'd think you could have that shock rebuilt for way less than $250.

Steverino 09-19-2010 03:37 PM

Yes it has a valve on it. But it pivots off the main body and the seal at the pivot point has failed. Seems to be chronic problem with the shock.

I will check into rebuild tomorrow.

It is an air sprung shock. But I can't get air in it.

ducnut 09-19-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Yes it has a valve on it. But it pivots off the main body and the seal at the pivot point has failed. Seems to be chronic problem with the shock.

I will check into rebuild tomorrow.

It is an air sprung shock. But I can't get air in it.

Nothing like compound problems. :D

Steverino 09-19-2010 03:53 PM

looks like 6" eye to eye and 1" of travel. Best I can tell.

Mr Head 09-19-2010 05:05 PM

Rode down the ocean this morning after watching MotoGP on the computer. There was some good racing there.
Left the hill in the morning chill down along the river to the cold cloud bank about 3 miles inland from the beach. I felt pretty good and was able to latch onto some fast wheels mashing gears as I spun. :evil

After about five miles my lack of fitness became evident and I was toast. Waiting on the next wheel to come by. The beach was cold so I didn't hand out and eat my goo chunks which lead to my quads cramping up about 10 miles later. I rode another 5 miles to a park with shade and laid down with my legs up and ate a bag of the magic stuff. 5 miles later I was home. Legs are sore my working.
55 miles round trip in around 3:30 or so. On the way down I was averaging nearly 19 mph with a headwind. So, I had a good deal of help from those fast wheels. Two different guys mashing big rings and itty-bitty cogs on Colnagos towed me for a while until I was done.
About time to fire up the grill and get ready for another Monday.

Cat0020 09-19-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
I think you need shock length, spring rate (or range if its an air shock) and shock travel to fully spec a shock. the spring rate would be a function of the (suspension travel / shock travel) * 0.30 * weight on that wheel. (where 0.30 represents the static preload. I probably have the math wrong :D

Ever heard of air shocks? lighter weight, infinite spring rate adjustment..:evil

pierce 09-19-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Ever heard of air shocks? lighter weight, infinite spring rate adjustment..:evil

and daily pumpings, annual rebuilds. oh, and non-constant spring rate (which -could- be a good thing, depending on the suspension linkage geometry.

Cat0020 09-19-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
and daily pumpings, annual rebuilds. oh, and non-constant spring rate (which -could- be a good thing, depending on the suspension linkage geometry.

Maybe for someone who don't know how to setup their shock properly or abuse their equipment.. :rofl

CatfishRacing 09-19-2010 06:44 PM

I'm only up to post 16,9xx but wanted to chime in.
Bought a 2007 Cannondale Optimo 2 last week to replace my 2001 Cannondale T2000 (which is now on NY Craig's List and probably headed for eBay).
Sold my 2008 Niner E.M.D. to help pay for it.
Rode the new bike to work today.
I had to work in two separate places today so it was a tick over 28 miles round trip.
Added Lone Peak panniers on the front rack and a Brooks B-17 saddle.
Bike is heavy as hell but it's like swinging two bats in the on deck circle right?
When I get on my Calfee Tetra-Tri it's going to feel like a rocket ship.
Going back to post 16,9xx.
Have a good night.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:48 AM.