ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pierce 09-26-2010 04:06 PM

hey, old school roadie question again... my kid's trek tx300. currently has a 52-42 front, he wants a lower gear, but his crank has the old campi style 144mm bolt pattern. he also wants his 52 front and i can't do anything about his 13-26 cluster (its durace uniglide). so I'm thinking a compact 110mm crank, maybe with a 52:36 or something. is that too extreme? I realize I might have to change his front derailleur to cover it (he has a old shimano 600, I have a 105 double that will just cover the 14 tooth spread). or should I try and upgrade him to a triple, like 52:42:33 or something ? I assume I'd need a longer BB for that to clear the crank stay?

Askel 09-26-2010 04:06 PM

Dumb shit Bimble and I do:

http://almanzo100.blogspot.com/

Completed the "Gentlemen's Ride" this weekend. 100+ miles of south eastern minnesota gravel and maybe 6k feet of climbing.

Massive flooding in the area deterred a few folks, but hey- that just bumps us up a few places on the finish list.

We did take the reroute around the water crossing. Waiting to see final results, but based on what we saw at the mid-point, we finished about midpack in 8 hours or so.

Thanks for coming down for the ride, man! I don't know about Kit, but I think we might have Bruce hooked on this sort of thing. :D

patch29 09-26-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
DAMMIT, I'M TRYING TO GIVE SALSA MY MONEY HERE LIKE A GOOD SALSA-O-PHILE. :lol3

Actually, that sounds cool and should be a viable option. I'm guessing it can hold a sleeping bag or a sub 5-lb one man tent?

I like the look of the Salsa one as well, but when will it be available? You can always upgrade later. :deal :lol3

It should easily hold 5lbs. It's not very long, so a small sleeping bag would be fine.

I'm a Surly supporter, I like what Salsa does as well. I'm currently looking at an xtracycle kit to haul more stuff around town. I've logged over 1100 miles in the last three months, keep finding I need more room and I'm looking forward to the fall weather and not biking in 90F temps.

ducnut 09-26-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patch29
I'm currently looking at an xtracycle kit to haul more stuff around town.

I stumbled onto this. Looks like good deals, to me. As you probably know, Surly has a new model coming in 2011.

patch29 09-26-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
I stumbled onto this. Looks like good deals, to me. As you probably know, Surly has a new model coming in 2011.

I might have a lead on something local. It's nice and not as expensive as a new rig. If I find I use it a lot I could see upgrading to a 2011 Big Dummy. :freaky

pierce 09-26-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
6-er of Stone beer.

:D

I'm still broke...

M

psst? that post of my bike was for Jeffy in place of his hardtail for the sorts of trail riding he says he wants to do... he's in the east bay, about an hour from me here in scruz, so an in person sale would be doable. its definitely worth more than a 6-er of san diego pub brew.

patch29 09-26-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I agree. I'm not a DHer. :nono Not my thing.

By the same token, I'd rather XC ski/snowshoe than downhill too. Just something about the whole theory of lifts, etc. that gets me.

M

I wish I knew this in March, my friend's had an extra room in the rental condo in Breckenridge, all I needed to do was get there. I did and didn't have anyone to hike around with. I'm just not a lift, downhill person either. I picked up a set of microspikes and hiked on. If I get to go next year I might finally try snowshoeing. I like to earn the trip back down and don't like to wait to ride back up.

Mr Head 09-26-2010 05:57 PM

Breaks don't squeak anymore. V-brakes now. Plus I've learned to not ride stuff that scares me.:eek1:rofl

P3, Part one is DOA, so in a few weeks when I get back down there I'll give that one another shot. Meanwhile, the conclusion to the world's slowest downhill, or James May goes mountain biking.. "Captain Slow" conquers gravity.:lol3

http://mr-head.smugmug.com/Cycling/C...97_eCkHW-M.jpg

TheYeti 09-26-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
hey, old school roadie question again... my kid's trek tx300. currently has a 52-42 front, he wants a lower gear, but his crank has the old campi style 144mm bolt pattern. he also wants his 52 front and i can't do anything about his 13-26 cluster (its durace uniglide). so I'm thinking a compact 110mm crank, maybe with a 52:36 or something. is that too extreme? I realize I might have to change his front derailleur to cover it (he has a old shimano 600, I have a 105 double that will just cover the 14 tooth spread). or should I try and upgrade him to a triple, like 52:42:33 or something ? I assume I'd need a longer BB for that to clear the crank stay?

You could proably put a 39 instead of the 36 it would give enough gear to climb with.

TheYeti 09-26-2010 06:09 PM

[quote=patch29]I might have a lead on something local. It's nice and not as expensive as a new rig. If I find I use it a lot I could see upgrading to a 2011 Big Dummy.

There is an xtracycle here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/class...ed_id=1885&v=8 for $275 the shipping might kill you though

Bimble 09-26-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Dumb shit Bimble and I do:

http://almanzo100.blogspot.com/

Completed the "Gentlemen's Ride" this weekend. 100+ miles of south eastern minnesota gravel and maybe 6k feet of climbing.

Massive flooding in the area deterred a few folks, but hey- that just bumps us up a few places on the finish list.

We did take the reroute around the water crossing. Waiting to see final results, but based on what we saw at the mid-point, we finished about midpack in 8 hours or so.

Thanks for coming down for the ride, man! I don't know about Kit, but I think we might have Bruce hooked on this sort of thing. :D

Guilty.

:D

I don't have time to write much as I'm wrapping up installing a new garage door opener, but I'll leave it at

one starts to form some opinions about what is what somewhere in the midst of a gravel century.

Great riding with you again, Askel. I can't quite think coherently about Almanzo 2011, but the idea is wafting about in my attic.

:freaky

patch29 09-26-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douf
Anyone run the Six Gap today? The ADV riding skills came in quite useful even though it was (theoretically) a road ride.

Douf

I may get there someday. I was going to start with a run up Brasstown Bald or Hogpen gap one of these day, or a century on the Silver Comet, would be nice to ride straight to Anniston and have a ride home. :D

Jeffy 09-26-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

psst? that post of my bike was for Jeffy in place of his hardtail for the sorts of trail riding he says he wants to do... he's in the east bay, about an hour from me here in scruz, so an in person sale would be doable. its definitely worth more than a 6-er of san diego pub brew.

Thanks for the offer but I'll probably hold off for now. I want to get this bike on the road then I'll see see where I want to go with it.

Cleaned the front derailer and the chain. The rear derailer was harder to clean as it's hard to get into it. I set the brakes and adjusted the cables. The front derailer works great. The rear one is almost there. I still need to adjust the cable. Probably won't remove the bars or the brifters to repaint them.

I'm getting closer to needing tires and tubes. Still going back and forth between semi-slicks and knobbies.

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NUT3v0pNW04/TJ...0/DSC_0037.jpg</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Specialized Rock Hopper</td></tr></tbody></table>

pierce 09-26-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffy
I'm getting closer to needing tires and tubes. Still going back and forth between semi-slicks and knobbies.

if you're gonna be riding single track in the steep oakland hills, you definitely want knobbies designed for XC/trail use. bring the bike to a bikeshop in oakland or berkeley or whatever and see what fits. 2.0 or 2.2 seems to be the sizes in new XC tires. I haven't bought a set in a few years, so I'm out of touch with whats current. I think I'm using Specialized Rockhopper on my Stumpjumper.

Jeffy 09-26-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

if you're gonna be riding single track in the steep oakland hills, you definitely want knobbies designed for XC/trail use. bring the bike to a bikeshop in oakland or berkeley or whatever and see what fits. 2.0 or 2.2 seems to be the sizes in new XC tires. I haven't bought a set in a few years, so I'm out of touch with whats current.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Chabot is only a few miles from here. I measured the gap in the chain stay and it looks like a 2.5 would be pushing it with knobs. No mud to deal with though. 2.0-2.35 should fit from what I've seen on other RH's of the same vintage. I don't want to spend too much, under $40. What difference does folding vs. wire make? I noticed a weight difference but is there anything else? I'm used to folding.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:19 PM.