ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 09-21-2010 08:57 PM

So I went out on the same loop that did in my knee on Sat. THIS time, I caught up to a dood on a Rivendell and followed him to the bike path that runs behind Boulder. He turned left and I kept going straight. Ran across 2 doods that looked like they knew where they were going, so I hopped on their wheels till it was time to turn right onto Lookout Rd.

I kept feeling a little low in the saddle, so about 1:45 in, I stopped and raised my saddle a mm or so and skootched it forward a coupla mm. No more achey knees.

My bum still hurt tho. 2+ hours of toodling along on old shorts = teh suck. I need a few (like 4) pair of new bibs here soon. I missed 2:30 by 4min. I guess that's OK. :nod Felt good most of the way too! I still need to work on my hills tho. Toss out a parachute whenever the road points up. :nod I've told people 'if the biggest hill I hafta climb again is the banking on the track, I'll be a happy camper.' They never do believe me. I'm NOT built to go up hills. I'm built to go from 50kph to 70+kph RIGHT NOW. S'where I'm best.

I'm playing UW Hockey Wed nite, then down to ABQ Thurs to sell the MC. :cry So this is gonna be a day off. First in a bit!

M

scorpion 09-21-2010 09:39 PM

End of an era :cry for a classic Paramount
http://vallihi.smugmug.com/Other/Smu...78_TjCXk-L.jpg
I guess it could be fixed for posterity but I don't think it could ever be an "A" bike again :cry
http://vallihi.smugmug.com/Other/Smu...87_GZShR-L.jpg

Gummee! 09-21-2010 09:45 PM

That's the nice thing about lugged bikes. Get that fixed and it'll be as good as or better'n new! One of us runs Echelon (he's posted in this thread) PM him an see what he'd charge. Or talk to Waterford. Either way,a Paramount's too good to give up on!

M
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion
End of an era :cry for a classic Paramount
http://vallihi.smugmug.com/Other/Smu...78_TjCXk-L.jpg
I guess it could be fixed for posterity but I don't think it could ever be an "A" bike again :cry
http://vallihi.smugmug.com/Other/Smu...87_GZShR-L.jpg

k7 09-21-2010 09:46 PM

Wow -

If that were my bike, I'd have it repaired and restored. Then, I'd hang it in a place of honor in my living room.

When I was stationed at Lackland, I hung out at the local Schwinn shops. There were twins - each managed a different shop - who rode a Paramount tandem - custom built. We did a week-long 600 mile Hill Country tour in 1979 - the twins were the only ones (at least back then) I had even seen who could both stand up and crank up the hills.

EvilGenius 09-21-2010 09:48 PM

send It To Meeeeeee!!!!!

scorpion 09-21-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
the twins were the only ones (at least back then) I had even seen who could both stand up and crank up the hills.

That's what I was doing when it went 'pop'

Mr Head 09-22-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
That's the nice thing about lugged bikes. Get that fixed and it'll be as good as or better'n new! One of us runs Echelon (he's posted in this thread) PM him an see what he'd charge. Or talk to Waterford. Either way,a Paramount's too good to give up on!

M

I did a similar thing to my Motobecane. Frame builder near me in Denver milled the offending tube out and put a nice Italian Columbus tube back in it's place for not too much.

YMMV.

pierce 09-22-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
I did a similar thing to my Motobecane. Frame builder near me in Denver milled the offending tube out and put a nice Italian Columbus tube back in it's place for not too much.

YMMV.

a vintage Paramount is likely double butted Reynolds 531 or Columbus, depending on the age.

Mr Head 09-22-2010 11:34 AM

I rode yesterday after work. Hammered it good and hard.
set some new highwater marks for myself along the way.
Track map

Then today had my health scan at work.

I'm still rated as "Pre-obese":baldy

My Total Cholesterol is good my Triglycerides and LDL are too low to get a reading on. Non-Fasting Glucose level is 126.
I need to drop these ten pounds that have been nagging me. Two years ago when I went through this last, I measured about the same.:huh

Same weight and I have not grown in height or shrunk. :eek1

But, I have dropped two notches in my belt. I can ride harder and farther. I eat better, and less. I don't eat much fat at all, and I tend toward salad at lunch and/or dinner especially when I'm traveling.

The weight is just not melting off. Even Sunday after I rode for three hours I got home, exhausted and had only dropped 2 pounds. :huh

Next trip home, I'm going to get into see my doctor and figure out what besides quitting my job and just pedaling across America will do the trick.

New goal for this two week trip is to lose weight.

I think 3 pounds is a good number to take aim at.

This time its personal.:lol3

scorpion 09-22-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!

M

So it's worth fixing? :clap
It's only 40+ years old, where's that receipt. . . :D

This has been hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. I would love to keep riding it. I'll start looking around for a good Paramount restorer.

pierce 09-22-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion
So it's worth fixing? :clap
It's only 40+ years old, where's that receipt. . . :D

This has been hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. I would love to keep riding it. I'll start looking around for a good Paramount restorer.

really, any good lugged steel framebuilder who's willing to do repairs will do just fine. I doubt there's any Paramount specific restorers. :D

Mercury264 09-22-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Track map

My Total Cholesterol is good my Triglycerides and LDL are too low to get a reading on. Non-Fasting Glucose level is 126.
I need to drop these ten pounds that have been nagging me. Two years ago when I went through this last, I measured about the same.:huh

But, I have dropped two notches in my belt. I can ride harder and farther. I eat better, and less. I don't eat much fat at all, and I tend toward salad at lunch and/or dinner especially when I'm traveling.

The weight is just not melting off. Even Sunday after I rode for three hours I got home, exhausted and had only dropped 2 pounds. :huh

Next trip home, I'm going to get into see my doctor and figure out what besides quitting my job and just pedaling across America will do the trick.

I stopped weighing myself a long long time ago. It just doesn't matter to me any more to be honest - what's far more important to me is how I feel and how, say, my clothes fit me. I was becoming a slave to the scales and it just wasn't helping me in the end so I sacked it.

ducnut 09-22-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
I doubt there's any Paramount specific restorers. :D

^^^ That's incorrect. Waterford specializes in Schwinn restorations. Afterall, the company is owned and operated by Richard Schwinn.

According to their pricelist, the seattube replacement is $300.

TheYeti 09-22-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Track map

You may not have lost weight lbs but you are leaner( your waist size is smaller) Most of those weight things are based on BMI they are not always a good gauge of Obesity I've got a friend in the military he's 6'6" weighs 260 has maybe 12 percent body fat yet every year they say he's too heavy the command sends him to the Dr.to lose weight and every year the Dr. checkes him out and laughs and sends him back saying this is not over weight .He always scores high 2% in command on PT tests. But every year they do the same thing. Been going on like is for years. myself weigh 230 and am 6'4" yes I could stand to lose 25 maybe 30lbs but the BMI gauge says I should weigh between 185 and 196 I'd have to go on a pretty sevear diet to lose that much weight.

TheYeti 09-22-2010 02:53 PM

I just picked up one of these

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/bikes/BK6856.jpg

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:15 PM.