ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

ducnut 09-28-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadester
If you want to go lightweight, and yet still survive in thorn country - you'll have to go tubeless. This is basically replacing the tube with a rim strip and a latex based sealant - but it is an "enthusiast" kinda thing. It takes patience to learn how to set it up, and you need to be riding your bike regularly so the sealant doesn't set up in the tire.

Also, some rim and tire combos will be very difficult to seal when inflating, as a tubeless. Do some research on tubeless combos, before jumping in with both feet.

pierce 09-28-2010 10:24 AM

the newer styles of thornproof tires are a pretty good compromise. as I said earlier, Specialized Armadillo, Conti Protek, etc etc.

we get those nasty goats-head thorns around here, they just snap off rather than punch through an Armadillo lined tire.

Jeffy 09-28-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Run the 1.95-2.2 size in a 2.3. More than likely, the tire casing isn't an actual 2.3", but, the tread hangs over. When you run a grossly undersized tube, the tube's rubber gets thinner as it expands to the tire's size. Grossly oversized tubes in tires cause bunching and wrinkle the tube. So long as you're close on sizing, you'll be good.

Don't run Slime in your tubes. When you do get a flat, you'll have the crap all over the place when you go to change the tube, on the roadside. Also, if you try to repair that tube, it's likely that stuff will keep oozing out of the tube as you're trying to patch it. Keep it simple with a basic tube.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's a downside to running slime although I do have one spare conventional tube. Seems to be difficult to find thick tubes though. The ones that are readily available are the really cheap ones. I do have at least one good conventional tube that I carry as a spare under the seat. The reviews I've read on them seem to fall under two categories. Those that really hate them and those that really love them.

I was looking for some thick Maxxis DH tubes but they are impossible to find. I can find 2.5-2.7"s that are thick but I was worried about wrinkles.

The other option is to run liners and cheap tubes. I've done that in the past as well. I still have one old Stop Flat I found when I removed my tires. Not sure where the other one is.

Jeffy 09-28-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadester
Living in the land of thorns (southwestern desert) I can talk to this one. If you have thorns, you will need slime or some other sealant. HOWEVER! If you run slime in a standard weight tube, you will indeed have the mess described. The sealant does not plug holes in a normal thickness bicycle tube, it just keeps oozing and collecting in the tire. You will have to run a THORNPROOF tube WITH sealant to actually get the tire to survive w/o lots of flats and fixing of them.

I know that this approach freaks out the weight weenies, but it does work. I would typically go a full year riding 2-3 times a week - but when it finally did die, I would have to spend a 1/2 hour pulling thorns out of the tire so I could put in my spare (lightweight) tube and get home.

If you want to go lightweight, and yet still survive in thorn country - you'll have to go tubeless. This is basically replacing the tube with a rim strip and a latex based sealant - but it is an "enthusiast" kinda thing. It takes patience to learn how to set it up, and you need to be riding your bike regularly so the sealant doesn't set up in the tire.

We have goatheads which I tend to attract like moths to a flame.

I've looked at going tubeless BUT I''ll pass I think. It's a bit more involved then I want to do. Not to mention, I'd rather use new rims and not my old ones.

Like I mentioned earlier, I used to run liners way back when and never had issues. I see even still available, too. I figure with a thick tube, slime and a spare tube, I'd be OK.

The thorn-resistant tires would really limit my choices of tires too.

TheYeti 09-28-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffy
Got another question. I'm finding most tubes to be 1.95-2.2 or 2.5-2.7. If I get a 2.3 (although some say they're more like 2.1's), can I run 1.95-2.2's? I'm looking to get thick tubes. Maybe Slime (Thorn resistant) which a friend recommended.

And, yes, I'm keeping the stock brakes and brifters and freshening them up with new pads.

If you run 1.95 -2. 3 get the tubes to match, if you run too large of a tube in the tire,! you're gonna have a hard time getting them in the tire, and the tube isn't gonna sit in the tire right and you're gonna get pinch flats.you can always run a smaller tube in a larger tire, not the other way. :nono ( just for you Gummie )

Gummee! 09-28-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Don't run Slime in your tubes. When you do get a flat, you'll have the crap all over the place when you go to change the tube, on the roadside. Also, if you try to repair that tube, it's likely that stuff will keep oozing out of the tube as you're trying to patch it. Keep it simple with a basic tube.

That all depends on yer locality. Try that in Tucson or other parts of AZ and you won't get far. IIRC I picked out an even dozen goat-head thorns outta the ex-'s tire one ride. Slime's a necessity.

VA? no real need. Not nearly as many thorns and/or other sticky/pokey things.

I rode 1:45 Sunday. Cruised around one of the loops I've found. Had a good ride. First day back after 3 off the bike. Took yesterday off. Today's another 1:30

Went to a reef aquarium store on the way home from yet another job interview. Reef aquaria are like crack. Right now, I want another one so badly it almost hurts. Then I'll go ride the bicycle... Then the Loser... Too many hobbies that cost $$ and not enough $$. :cry Last reef I had cost me the equivalent of an S-Works.

M

pierce 09-28-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
That all depends on yer locality. Try that in Tucson or other parts of AZ and you won't get far. IIRC I picked out an even dozen goat-head thorns outta the ex-'s tire one ride. Slime's a necessity.

i haven't had a goatshead thorn puncture one of my Armadillo tires, used to get a lot of those on plain tires... yeah, they are a little heavier than the same time without it, but so is slime.

Gummee! 09-28-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
i haven't had a goatshead thorn puncture one of my Armadillo tires, used to get a lot of those on plain tires... yeah, they are a little heavier than the same time without it, but so is slime.

I don't like the way Armadillos ride.

I have a Z-max and a Panaracer Fire XC on my bike. More better even with the slime.

M

pilot 09-28-2010 03:11 PM

I did 8 miles today. I was really flying going away from home and just thought I was getting in better shape or something. On the way back I figured it all out. :bluduh I had a tail wind on the way out, head wind on the way home. I was a gear or two lower on the way back. Still had fun, though.

Mercury264 09-28-2010 03:29 PM

First time on the rollers for over 6 months. Damn they suck :huh I did a paltry 10 miles and I struggled to do that.

jocflier 09-28-2010 03:54 PM

92 degrees today at the house. Screw that, will wait until it's cools down tomorrow into the 80's before I head out..pussed out today.:cry

rbrsddn 09-28-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
First time on the rollers for over 6 months. Damn they suck :huh I did a paltry 10 miles and I struggled to do that.

It's too soon for the rollers! Don't you have the time to get a ride in? I did 56 sunday. And yes they do suck!:deal

Jeffy 09-28-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
92 degrees today at the house. Screw that, will wait until it's cools down tomorrow into the 80's before I head out..pussed out today.:cry

102* I stayed inside instead of cleaning my bike some more. I've been told that my chain protector is lame so I need to remove it. :lol3

Ordered my tires and tubes though!

Oznerol 09-28-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264

I pulled the trainer out of the basement on Sunday. The weather wasn't that bad, but it wasn't nice either, and I wanted to play around with cleat position on one foot to see if I could resolve some knee discomfort. Easier to do that with the trainer.

Man, I forgot how much I hate that thing.

Mercury264 09-28-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
It's too soon for the rollers! Don't you have the time to get a ride in? I did 56 sunday. And yes they do suck!:deal

I busted my leg dirt biking the other weekend and today I was really jonesing for a ride as I haven't ridden for a bit and of course it was pissing it down:lol3

Meant to be better tomorrow so I am hoping to get out then.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:49 AM.