ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

papavero 09-27-2010 09:07 AM

Seat post clamping

Syntace Friction Paste Bicycle Grease - 20 Gram Syringe - 9084000-S

Product Description

Syntace adhesion paste increases friction with its micro particles on the mounting surfaces of carbon and aluminum components. Just apply thin and evenly to the degreased clamping surfaces of bar, stem and seatpost. The necessary torque value for safe clamping can be reduced by up to 30%. The Syntace adhesion paste also offers other benefits such as excellent protection from corrosion and elimination of annoying creaking noises.

A co-worker has used this with good results.

trailer Rails 09-27-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papavero

Product Description

Syntace adhesion paste increases friction with its micro particles on the mounting surfaces of carbon and aluminum components. Just apply thin and evenly to the degreased clamping surfaces of bar, stem and seatpost. The necessary torque value for safe clamping can be reduced by up to 30%. The Syntace adhesion paste also offers other benefits such as excellent protection from corrosion and elimination of annoying creaking noises.

That is stuff is good, although it is mainly intended for use with carbon components. That is another point, if the seatpost is made of carbon fiber and someone greased it, that will cause issues also. You will need to clean all the grease off. You will also have to clean the seat tube of the bike. From there you have two choices, you can put a carbon seat post into a frame without any lube. I prefer to use some of the " carbon lube" that Papavero posted above.

svs 09-27-2010 10:06 AM

One of the first Mountain Bikes mass produced.

1984 Schwinn High Sierra. Took it up to Big Bear this weekend. Such a cool old bike. Well made. Still on the original chain, cranks and Gears.

Thousands of MILES and it's all GOOD...hard to believe.

http://f-d.smugmug.com/Other/Bicycle...5_7ASKd-XL.jpg

Mercury264 09-27-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Is it possible that it is the wrong size? It should fit snugly into the frame. They make seatposts in 0.2mm incrimination. If you dont want to buy a new post, you might be able to make a shim out of a beer can. Use a Fosters can or Sapporo can if you need a thicker shim.

It's the original seatpost so I would assume it should fit :dunno

I did replace the bolt since, as I said, I snapped the original trying to tighten it to stop the seatpost slipping.

I might try the beer can shim...sure I can find some beer somewhere in the house :freaky

Mercury264 09-27-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papavero

Product Description

I'll try other things but this at least gives me some other options.

Mercury264 09-27-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

That is stuff is good, although it is mainly intended for use with carbon components. That is another point, if the seatpost is made of carbon fiber and someone greased it, that will cause issues also. You will need to clean all the grease off. You will also have to clean the seat tube of the bike. From there you have two choices, you can put a carbon seat post into a frame without any lube. I prefer to use some of the " carbon lube" that Papavero posted above.

Seatpost is a standard el cheapo chromed seatpost. Adding a CF one would immediately triple the bike's value so that....'aint happening :D

pierce 09-27-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
Seatpost is a standard el cheapo chromed seatpost. Adding a CF one would immediately triple the bike's value so that....'aint happening :D

I've had good luck with the KAlloy $20 aluminum posts. geez, chrome posts only come on low end cruisers and BMX bikes.

Mercury264 09-27-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
I've had good luck with the KAlloy $20 aluminum posts. geez, chrome posts only come on low end cruisers and BMX bikes.

This bike is 15 years old and in very good condition since....well it's probably done less than 50 miles it's entire life and 20 of them were yesterday :lol3

I'll try the beer can shim and maybe even a bigger bolt but if not I may try another post.

pierce 09-27-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
This bike is 15 years old and in very good condition since....well it's probably done less than 50 miles it's entire life and 20 of them were yesterday :lol3

I'll try the beer can shim and maybe even a bigger bolt but if not I may try another post.

grease the bolt threads and such so it turns easier. normally you grease the post too.

i had one bike where you couldn't get a good clamp with the bolt as it came, on this bike it was because the notch cut in the seat tube that the clamp went around wasn't wide enough... I got in there with a dremel cutoff disc and widened it, and didn't have that problem any more. when you tighten down on your bolt, inspect the clamp and see if anything is touching... if so, open it up.

MikJogg 09-27-2010 01:51 PM

my Quantec,a german brand,Cyclocross
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...tdorf09010.jpg

Mercury264 09-27-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
grease the bolt threads and such so it turns easier. normally you grease the post too.

i had one bike where you couldn't get a good clamp with the bolt as it came, on this bike it was because the notch cut in the seat tube that the clamp went around wasn't wide enough... I got in there with a dremel cutoff disc and widened it, and didn't have that problem any more. when you tighten down on your bolt, inspect the clamp and see if anything is touching... if so, open it up.

Got it :thumb

ducnut 09-27-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikJogg
my Quantec,a german brand,Cyclocross

Sweet ride! I like orange bikes. Just something about 'em.

Gummee! 09-27-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the lesson. :deal Maybe you should read the rest of the discussion that was taking place. He is replacing his shifter/brake levers setup and has the opportunity to buy v-brake compatible levers.

Last I heard, he was keeping em.

I miss something? :confused

M

pierce 09-27-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Don't forget to mention that leaky rear shock. :lol3

it was rebuilt by a fox dealer, and it hasn't been used hardly since. :deal

if you pumped it up to 220 (within its rated specs, and the suggested value for my weight), it would leak like 10%/week when it was new, and 10%/day after a few years. I was told they should be rebuilt annually.

pierce 09-27-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Last I heard, he was keeping em.

I miss something? :confused

M

last I saw, jeffy was saying he'd change the brakes later. :loco I wouldn't, as he'd new brake levers too. me, I'd just do new cables (including the crossover cable if its even a little funky) and good fresh brake pads, lube the shafts, and ride it. :dunno

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:24 PM.