ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Omi 10-29-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Which one?

I used to run store 12 (Ffx Circle) right after college.

:ear

M

My friend Danny Quirk worked at that one for a while. I think my other friend Jeff was the manager. I worked with them at dale city bikes until the owner decided to retire. I moved on to washington bike center, bikes usa, spokes etc, then performance in springfield. When did you work in Fairfax?

Gummee! 10-29-2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
My friend Danny Quirk worked at that one for a while. I think my other friend Jeff was the manager. I worked with them at dale city bikes until the owner decided to retire. I moved on to washington bike center, bikes usa, spokes etc, then performance in springfield. When did you work in Fairfax?

I was there Jan 94 thru Apr 97.

Helped open the Manassas store. First of the 'warehouse looking' stores. :puke2 Hated em from day 1.

Had buddies that worked at Bikes USA up the hill from me in Ffx.

M

Omi 10-29-2006 09:34 PM

Quote:

Helped open the Manassas store. First of the 'warehouse looking' stores. :puke2 Hated em from day 1.

M

I worked at the fairfax bikes usa for a while. Did you know Ron? He had a carbonfiber leg. Boy was he an asshole! He poped it off one day and tried to hit me with it!

Omi 10-29-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

M

Yeah, I hated the warehouse store look too.

Zodiac 10-30-2006 03:30 AM

Quote:

Feeling Belgian are we? Around here, you don't hafta ride in the rain, so we don't. I DO remember lotsa rides in the DC area that either started in the rain, or it started raining during the ride tho. Brrrrr. No way 'round getting cold!

I'm off till tomorrow. Gonna ride back/forth to work again. Intervals in the AM, cruise home ~60min in the PM is the goal. Rode with the Specialized guys again Friday. Held on to the pace and was comfortable. Right until the road pointed up. Then I couldn't get my legs to work no more. :cry No :ricky for me after that!

M

Morn'n Gum,
well if you're gonna ride here on either motorcycle or bike, you have to make rain your friend, since it's rainy, cold and windy here more than half the year.

I see more outergear in my future....:huh

Can you say arthritic back at 38? I sure can.:1drink

card 10-30-2006 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Morn'n Gum,
well if you're gonna ride here on either motorcycle or bike, you have to make rain your friend, since it's rainy, cold and windy here more than half the year.

damn, I'm glad I live in Texas. Gets a little windy and a few days of brutal cold; however............................"rainy, cold and windy here more than half the year??????????????"

Dark 10-30-2006 11:26 AM

Cadence? What do I do with it?

I tried to make an adjustment to the sensor on the cordless cyclecomp on my road bike while moving & pushed it in to the spokes. Broke to the point of no return. It was a basic Sigma model.

Today I found that for $29 I could order the Cat Eye with cadence, so I did.
http://www.performancebike.com/produ...50/40_1546.jpg

I'm in my 7th week with the road bike & have put on about 280 miles. Typically I'll either do a 12 mile or 17 mile loop depending on the time I have. I have done a couple of 25 mile rides. Todays 12 mile loop had a 14.9 ave, up a bit from the 14.5 when I started 7 weeks ago.

Now, how do I use the cadence data to train? I'm just a recreational rider but would like to see my average mph increase & build the lungs enough to do a century next year.

scorpion 10-30-2006 11:35 AM

On Saturday I did 76.25 miles on my hybrid commuter just for fun.
Glorius day for a ride, 85F blue skies no wind.
Avg 14mph @ 05:45 ride time.

Good fun and I'm surprised that I felt pretty good at the end.

Planning a LA >San Diego run in a coupla weeks.

MNwilly 10-30-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by card
damn, I'm glad I live in Texas. Gets a little windy and a few days of brutal cold; however............................"rainy, cold and windy here more than half the year??????????????"

Brutal cold? Y'all don't know what cold is. :lol3

pierce 10-30-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark
Now, how do I use the cadence data to train? I'm just a recreational rider but would like to see my average mph increase & build the legs enough to do a century next year.

fixed it for you. lungs help you go faster, not farther.

just work up the mileage. if you've done a couple 25 mile rides, do a 50 mile ride. pace yourself, and SHUT OFF THE ODOMETER :augie next week, do another 50. next week do another 50, and push yourself a bit harder. When you can go 50 miles at a decent cruising pace, you can probably survive a century (you'll hurt like hell the next day, but you will hurt after a century no matter HOW good condition you're in)

long rides are about energy management more than anything else. you need a good supply of energy bars, both carb/sugar and fiber/protein, and lotsa H2O.

YakSpout 10-30-2006 01:39 PM

Saturday a.m., three of us went from Santa Clarita to Ventura via the 126. About 59 miles all told in 3.5 hours, including some stretch breaks and a flat repair. Next Saturday is the Solvang Metric. Anyone else riding it? I'll be the guy in the back wishing he'd climbed more hills on the training rides. :rofl

card 10-30-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNwilly
Brutal cold? Y'all don't know what cold is. :lol3

We usually see weather in the teens w/a 40 mph north wind and just a barbed wire fence between us and the north pole.:deal

Gummee! 10-30-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
Yeah, I hated the warehouse store look too.

You see my store before they fucked it up? Nice carpeted area, slatwall, dressing rooms right in sight, etc.

Now it looks like shite! :2cry

I don't remember Ron... Oh waitaminit! Yes I do. He was 'bout faster'n hell with that one leg. Didn't know him personally and don't remember whether he was supposed to be an ass or not. Mechanic. No?

I DO know Lee Umali, Hyder Ali, Ho (someoneoranother) the bike builder, Dave Studner, and a bunch of other guys. Lee just left PBS for a art-type job somewhere in the area. He was workin for Bonzai when I knew him last. Nice guy. Cased it on a double downhilling and ended up in a chair. Wanted to get a DH chair and keep doing it. :dunno if he ever did or not.

M

Gummee! 10-30-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by card
We usually see weather in the teens w/a 40 mph north wind and just a barbed wire fence between us and the north pole.:deal

Sounds almost like some rides I've been on in VA... :augie I remember one that I just HAD to get out for. Below 20 with at least a 20mph wind blowing. Oh, and I had a head cold. COULD NOT breathe so I went out for an easy hour. Felt MUCH better when I got back in.

Green gooey snot just ROLLED outta my nose the whole ride!

Tights + rain = no bueno. I hate that flappy, soggy, wet feeling on my legs. I much prefer knickers or knee warmers in wet conditions. Slather on the vaseline and go anyway! Yes, you'll get wet. Yes, you'll get cold. So farging what?! Beats sitting on the trainer. DAMHIK how it feels to ride a trainer for HOURS/day during the winter. I'll do just about anything to ride outside instead of sitting on a trainer!

UNfortunately, I gave most of my real cold weather gear to my little brother when I moved to Sandy Eggo. I'm either gonna hafta get it back or buy new stuff. :baldy I'm moving to Taos or Flagstaff here in Jan... MUCH colder there than here in the Bay Area. :vardy

M

Flaco 10-30-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark
I tried to make an adjustment to the sensor on the cordless cyclecomp on my road bike while moving & pushed it in to the spokes. Broke to the point of no return. It was a basic Sigma model.

Today I found that for $29 I could order the Cat Eye with cadence, so I did.
http://www.performancebike.com/produ...50/40_1546.jpg

I'm in my 7th week with the road bike & have put on about 280 miles. Typically I'll either do a 12 mile or 17 mile loop depending on the time I have. I have done a couple of 25 mile rides. Todays 12 mile loop had a 14.9 ave, up a bit from the 14.5 when I started 7 weeks ago.

Now, how do I use the cadence data to train? I'm just a recreational rider but would like to see my average mph increase & build the lungs enough to do a century next year.

Cadence is an interesting metric. Most recent grand tour winners have won using cadence around 100+ rpm. High cadence transfers some of the load to your cardio systems rather than strength of you legs. Some would say that one's cardio system recovers better than strength.

For training, I'd just start paying attention and see if I could run higher cadence over a period of time. If you're doing a local climb at 80 rpm, see if you can move to 85 or 90.

Recently, the 'affordability' of power meters has made cadence less useful in training.

My 0.025. This is certainly something about which I am not super familiar.

Flaco

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:30 AM.