ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 11-11-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
Those the big ones? I use the ones that fit this thing,

http://mr-head.smugmug.com/Cycling/B...rMSFP-XL-2.jpg

16??

:dunno

Worst case, get something to take up the space at the bottom of the holder and go at it.

M

slackmeyer 11-11-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

I put a set of those armadillos on up here this trip. The wire-bead kind. I'd forgotten how stiff non-folding tires can be.

I also noticed I only have one air cylinder here now. I think I used one to help somebody last trip up, or maybe the time before. The brain, she only remember so much anymore, and only for so long.:rofl

Oh no. . . . Armadillos are no fun. the wife has put a few thousand miles on Schwalbe duranos this summer with no flats. I bought a pair for myself (25 back, 23 front), and they ride great- at least compared to the armadillos I had on before. The duranos are faster and more comfortable, and they feel a lot more positive in the corners. Armadillos have no feedback.

Mr Head 11-12-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Oh no. . . . Armadillos are no fun. the wife has put a few thousand miles on Schwalbe duranos this summer with no flats. I bought a pair for myself (25 back, 23 front), and they ride great- at least compared to the armadillos I had on before. The duranos are faster and more comfortable, and they feel a lot more positive in the corners. Armadillos have no feedback.

At my rate of speed feed back from tires will be a ways off. I'm usually more concerned about having enough strength to get my foot down. Tire, or traction has not entered the building yet. The fat guy is still here.:lol3

Brek81 11-12-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

I had a series of flats due to the rim-strip being too narrow. That allowed the rivets to bite the tube.

Zero fun.

New strip fixed it.:clap

Blowing the bead off a 125 psi tire I suspect the bead is not seated correctly or the tube might have been pinched under it.
Are you mounting the tire with tools? Should not need them.
Also use plenty of talcum powder to keep both the tube and tire inside slick.
Pump up the tube to near pressure, deflate, and repeat.

The tube should have just enough air in it when you begin to just make the beginnings of a crease when you hang it form your hand.

That's about all the tricks I can remember. Good luck.

A trick I leaned this summer, if you have a rough spot on the rim, or tire that causes a flat on the road, a simple fix is to fold up a dollar bill and place it on the problem spot, and just leave it in the tire.

Mr Head 11-12-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brek81
A trick I leaned this summer, if you have a rough spot on the rim, or tire that causes a flat on the road, a simple fix is to fold up a dollar bill and place it on the problem spot, and just leave it in the tire.

So, between the rim and the tube if the rim is the problem, or between the tire and the tube if the tire is the problem?

Maybe a photo?

Brek81 11-12-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

So, between the rim and the tube if the rim is the problem, or between the tire and the tube if the tire is the problem?

Maybe a photo?

Exactly

Mr Head 11-12-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brek81
Exactly

Use a $100 bill it will be easier to see.:rofl

rbrsddn 11-12-2010 09:34 AM

Instead of using dollars, carry strips of Tyvek in your toolbag or wherever. I ripped a sidewall on the Mtn bike, and having the tyvek got me home.:deal

Gummee! 11-12-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Instead of using dollars, carry strips of Tyvek in your toolbag or wherever. I ripped a sidewall on the Mtn bike, and having the tyvek got me home.:deal

Powerbar wrappers work just fine too.

M

Jeffy 11-12-2010 04:57 PM

Well I tore my bike apart again. Getting it ready to change out the BB and crank set. Seems I'll be getting a crank puller as the crank arms aren't budging with my gear puller anymore. Gonna go ahead and buy a lock ring spanner since I'm sure something will prevent me from taking it off with one.

Have to order the brake cables while I'm at it, too. So the bike is down for another week. :cry It's been nice riding weather in the 60-70's, too!

ducnut 11-12-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDavid
I just purchased my first "road" bike (see post #17884 of this thread).
It has kenda competition kontender 700x26c 125psi air pressure tires. I have already had two flats. I feel kinda stupid asking, but what the hell am I doing wrong. When I fixed the first flat, I made sure nothing was left in the tire. I have had them at the 125 psi. I guess am I running too much air pressure? What air pressure should I have in them?

You've got a "racing" tire. They're as thin as reasonably possible to be light. Unfortunately, they'll be susceptible to flats. As others noted, pay attention to the surface you're riding on. Shoulders of the road are littered with little bits of everything, a lot of it sharp. Check out the tire pressure chart here.

TheNedster 11-13-2010 04:04 PM

54 miles today out to Shasta Dam and back. Except for the bit (<10 miles) between the house and the trailhead, all of it was on our awesome and ever-growing local trail system!:clap

FWIW, I tried some Bag Balm as chamois cream (the LBS wanted $25 for a tube on Deez Nutz:huh ). It worked pretty well, kinda smells like axle grease. I think a large can is all of six bucks @ Tractor Supply Hardware.

ducnut 11-13-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
FWIW, I tried some Bag Balm as chamois cream (the LBS wanted $25 for a tube on Deez Nutz:huh ). It worked pretty well, kinda smells like axle grease. I think a large can is all of six bucks @ Tractor Supply Hardware.

The local big miler (12K-15K miles/year) uses that stuff. I haven't tried it.

rbrsddn 11-14-2010 04:51 AM

I got a tube of Aquaphor ointment in a schwag bag at a Mtn bike festival years ago, and have used it since. The nice thing is, it's water soluble, so it washes off.

trailer Rails 11-14-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
The local big miler (12K-15K miles/year) uses that stuff. I haven't tried it.

Axle grease?!?!? :eek1:huh:eek1

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:28 AM.