ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 11-18-2010 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Melville's right on the chain thing- big ring + big cog + 1 link (or inch, same thing). To see if your crank is set right, measure the distance from the centerline of your seat tube to the centerline of the middle ring on the crank. Should be 45mm, if I remember correctly. Without being close to that number, you're not going to have good shifting through all gears.

The other way to measure a chain is to run it thru the gears like in the first pic (granny/small cog) and size the chain so that it don't rub the cage when there's very little/no tension on the derailleur. Its easier shown than explained in text.

In short, yer chain's too long and it sounds like it could be no pulling the b-tension spring enough. Try shortening the chain and report back.

M

Jeffy 11-18-2010 12:56 PM

Well, here's an update. The chain line was over 50mm. I shimmed it so it's within 47.5mm-50mm like what Sheldon says. (I think it's also within 3mm of the Derailleur now too) It runs smoother but the derailleur gear is still clattering. After looking at the derailleur, I think the cage is tweaked a little. I think this happened when it locked up as I was testing it. I'm pretty sure the hanger is OK. I can see the slight twist in the cage. I'll take it off and take some measurements.

I'll check the chain length while I'm at it. I'm sure that's what causes the cage to get tweaked in the first place.

Gummee! 11-18-2010 04:00 PM

A-1 Allez wreching report:

Re-nippled the rear wheel that was on the bike. Hub's a SpeedCific laced into an Aerohead OC (off-center) rim with 32 Wheelsmith bladed spokes. :patch There were a few nipples starting to go south, so rather than worry about em one at a time, I redid the whole thing. Let me go thru and retension the wheel too. Can you say 'twistie spokes?' I know I can. Hafta twist past where you want the spoke to be and go back to keep the blades straight. Fun.

Got a front hub (Specialized/Sansin?) from the shop and laced it into a leftover Ambrosio Excellight rim with double butted spokes. I'd been doing something wrong lacing the wheel and it kept coming out 1 spoke hole off. ie: there was a cross where the valve's s'posed to be. :baldy Still not sure why it was being aggravating, but its laced and is at 3 threads showing on the spoke. Finish it tamale.

Need some non-radiused STI cable holders. This frame has bosses on the downtube. I *think* I may have some at home. Didn't think to bring em 'cause well... I figgered the shop had cable stops. We don't.

Got my D/A crank/BB and front derailleur on. :clap D/A seatpost and a leftover seat are going on tamale too.

Now all I need is to rape my little brother's D/A rear derailleur off the bike he ain't ridden in years till I can find something to replace it. Bossman's letting me borrow some D/A 10s shifters. I'm skeered that they have a special brake pull. :eek1 Don't wanna buy D/A brakes! If they do, I have a 9sp left shifter if I can find a D/A right shifter.

Found some 3/4 used Michelin Pro 3s in... yaller and black! :rayof They'll do till I can put in an order for some tires.

Oh, and the biggest holdup? I don't have a quill stem of the appropriate length! Anyone have an ITM Eclypse in 120mm they wanna sell off?

Gotta run

M

Jeffy 11-18-2010 04:47 PM

Measured the chain and it's probably 1-2links too long. I also pulled the rear derailleur off and took it apart. I was able to get the twist out of it so it runs true now. I still have to tweak the cable a bit as I'm not getting clear shifts with the indexes anymore. Still, that's pretty minor. If I don't cross the streams, the chain doesn't creek and clatter but then you're not supposed to do that anyway. I think I'll leave the chain for now as it would be yet another tool I'd need for a one time project.

I was also able to get the rear brake cable back in. Nice having rear brakes again. :lol3 I haven't cut the cable yet so it's coiled up on the back right now. Don't want to short change myself again and have to buy another. :lol3

Next on the list is probably wheels. Any recommendations? Other sets I should look at?

Gummee! 11-18-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffy
Measured the chain and it's probably 1-2links too long. I also pulled the rear derailleur off and took it apart. I was able to get the twist out of it so it runs true now. I still have to tweak the cable a bit as I'm not getting clear shifts with the indexes anymore. Still, that's pretty minor. If I don't cross the streams, the chain doesn't creek and clatter but then you're not supposed to do that anyway. I think I'll leave the chain for now as it would be yet another tool I'd need for a one time project.

I was also able to get the rear brake cable back in. Nice having rear brakes again. :lol3 I haven't cut the cable yet so it's coiled up on the back right now. Don't want to short change myself again and have to buy another. :lol3

Next on the list is probably wheels. Any recommendations? Other sets I should look at?

Unless yer planning on upgrading frames soon, stay away from all 3 wheelsets above. They're all disc compatible. Look on ebay and CL for older 217/517/717 wheels on XT or XTR hubs. Prolly get em for dirt. (cept for guys like me who still want em...)

Having a chain tool isn't a 1-use thing. :nono There's all kinds of uses for em: riding in the woods and pick up a stick? Bash yer derailleur on a rock? Wreck wrong? Its an important tool to have in yer off-road toolkit. :nod May not need it often, but you'd better have it when you do!

M

Jeffy 11-18-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Unless yer planning on upgrading frames soon, stay away from all 3 wheelsets above. They're all disc compatible. Look on ebay and CL for older 217/517/717 wheels on XT or XTR hubs. Prolly get em for dirt. (cept for guys like me who still want em...)

Having a chain tool isn't a 1-use thing. :nono There's all kinds of uses for em: riding in the woods and pick up a stick? Bash yer derailleur on a rock? Wreck wrong? Its an important tool to have in yer off-road toolkit. :nod May not need it often, but you'd better have it when you do!

M

These? The ones on ebay are more expensive. :lol3 **hmm, doesn't look like it has rim brakes. I think I remember looking at 717's but they cost more then the 719's.Which chain tool should I get? CT-3 looks a little big to carry around. CT-5C?

Gummee! 11-19-2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffy
These? The ones on ebay are more expensive. :lol3 **hmm, doesn't look like it has rim brakes. I think I remember looking at 717's but they cost more then the 719's.Which chain tool should I get? CT-3 looks a little big to carry around. CT-5C?

Click me. Something like that.

AFA the chain tool: yeah the CT-5 is a good bet. There're multi-tools with em in there, but having a good one makes thing so much nicer trailside.

edited to add: whatcher missing is that the discs make a weaker wheel. Flanges aren't in the right spots.
M

Mr Head 11-19-2010 08:00 AM

I have a couple of sets of wheels at home. One set is really old, rim brake only original to my mountain bike. XT hubs 6-speed I think Very old school.
The rear hub has a broken seal cover on the right side.
Free just pay shipping.



The other set I got as take-offs for semi-cheap. They are not that great.
Rim brakes but I think the hubs are disc-capable. 9-speed.
$50, or make an offer + shipping I'm really just wanting this stuff out of my way.


I'll grab some pictures tonight.

ArthDuro 11-19-2010 11:19 AM

Danny's new vid :eek1:eek1:eek1

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cj6ho1-G6tw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cj6ho1-G6tw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Brek81 11-19-2010 11:55 AM

New ride
 
Here is my new ride, Defiantly a different feel than the Trek 1500

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1412/...79808f3f_z.jpg

TheNedster 11-19-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brek81
Here is my new ride, Defiantly a different feel than the Trek 1500

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1412/...79808f3f_z.jpg

My LBS owner's son just got one of those (they're a Scott dealer). He loves it. His dad rode one for a while too and had good things to say.

Gaston Gagne 11-20-2010 06:18 AM

It's better than bad. It's good.

http://gastongagne.smugmug.com/Motor...84_59jG2-L.jpg


Haven't seen this since the A Frame daze.

http://gastongagne.smugmug.com/Motor...73_niV8C-L.jpg

I am smitten by the socks.

http://gastongagne.smugmug.com/Motor...94_b4ZTK-L.jpg

ducnut 11-20-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
This is about a mile from my house and I ride by it a couple of time a week.

So sad and it pisses me off at the same time.:cry Be carefull out there everyone.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/47127

Joc

I drive for a living. There's no excuse for that.

The government is looking at opening up the entire country to Mexican drivers. As you probably know, their standards of everything pail in comparison to ours. The above driver, is a perfect example. That is just a warm body hired to drive a truck. Nothing against Latinos, but, facts are facts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArthDuro
Danny's new vid :eek1:eek1:eek1

Way bigger balls than his first vid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brek81
Here is my new ride, Defiantly a different feel than the Trek 1500

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1412/...79808f3f_z.jpg

The LBS owner sold his Ridley 'cross bike for a Scott. He likes the Scott much better.

DasMatti 11-20-2010 08:24 AM

My Tomac Primer 220, faithful fellow for 2 years now :clap

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/...3a22cf6d_z.jpg

Downhillcup Steinach this year
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/...0db9ab40_z.jpg

training in saalbach austria:evil
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5282/...2e8daa3a_z.jpg

TheYeti 11-20-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I'm in the process of writing up the training plan for the next little bit. Since I can't find a calendar for the mid-atlantic area races, I'm assuming that there's gonna be some kinda racing at the end of April.

Between UW Hockey and cycling, I'm hoping to be somewhat fit again here soon.

:clap

M


Here ya go see if this helps
http://www.prerace.com/races/zipcode


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014