ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 05-13-2011 09:32 AM

I got to thinkin about my hour-long toodle yesterday AM. For some, an hour ride is LONG. :nod For me, it was loosening my legs. Long doesn't start till after hour 3...

I'm off to go get a master cylinder rebuild kit for the Wing. Gotta take off that side exhaust, etc. :baldy Effing Honda. :bluduh

M

mgorman 05-13-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullmonte (Post 15900833)
I made the determination to catch him so I did after a grueling couple of minutes. Pulled up to him, tapped him on the shoulder, he looked over and pulled out his earbuds.:scratch I said, "Do you wanna get flattened? Drivers around here don't give a fuck about you. I live around here and I know WTF I'm talking about." The message sunk in and he said "Thanks". Some people.:loco The good news is I was able to drop him and climb that mountain like never before. A little bit of anger is good sometimes.

I used to ride with a guy like that and since he wouldn't quit using them I quit riding with him. I'm not going to babysit someone who in his own way, is suicidal by doing so.

ducnut 05-13-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 15901687)
On another note... the UPS man delivereth! :clap

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...10513-1039.jpg

What are we building? :ear

Ridge 05-13-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 15903762)
What are we building? :ear


2010 CAAD9. Went up to a 56 from a 54 and changing over to BB30.

k7 05-13-2011 03:27 PM

Lights on a bike
 
I want to ride brevets and as such, I'll incur some nighttime riding. I had to make a choice: batteries or dynohub, LED or halogen. Peter White seems to be the US expert on these devices so after spending a fair amount of time on his site, I went with a dynohub and selected a Schmidt SON28S unit - made in Germany.

This dynohub was built into a new set of wheels using Velocity A23 rims. I had a rear wheel built also with the same rim and a XT hub. The rear wheel and new front light arrived today - the rest will be here on Monday. They aren't the lightest wheels in the world but I'm not the lightest guy either.

The front light, a Schmidt Edelux, is tiny. I've seen pictures of it before but didn't realize exactly how small it was. It features a LED light, automatic daylight sensor, magnetic switch, spade for connecting a rear light and the light will remain on for about 4 minutes when you stop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...smalllight.jpg

Can't wait for the other package to arrive on Monday.

TheYeti 05-13-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 15900670)
Yeah, it was definitely the suck. I should be out at the Farmer's Market next Tuesday as long as the weather cooperates.

I might not make it. I'll let you know. This week has been my light week .After 210mi two weeks ago,Went from 0mi 2months ago to 210 in 8 weeks not good. I cut back to170ish last week this week I'll probably get 130-150 range. I'm goona build up 8-10% per week from there.

mud 05-13-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 15904527)
I want to ride brevets and as such, I'll incur some nighttime riding. I had to make a choice: batteries or dynohub, LED or halogen. Peter White seems to be the US expert on these devices so after spending a fair amount of time on his site, I went with a dynohub and selected a Schmidt SON28S unit - made in Germany.

This dynohub was built into a new set of wheels using Velocity A23 rims. I had a rear wheel built also with the same rim and a XT hub. The rear wheel and new front light arrived today - the rest will be here on Monday. They aren't the lightest wheels in the world but I'm not the lightest guy either.

The front light, a Schmidt Edelux, is tiny. I've seen pictures of it before but didn't realize exactly how small it was. It features a LED light, automatic daylight sensor, magnetic switch, spade for connecting a rear light and the light will remain on for about 4 minutes when you stop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...smalllight.jpg

Can't wait for the other package to arrive on Monday.

That is SWEET! Can you flip the reflector so you can mount it either way? I have been thinking about one of those and keep meaning to ask.....

k7 05-13-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 15904780)
That is SWEET! Can you flip the reflector so you can mount it either way? I have been thinking about one of those and keep meaning to ask.....

Not sure I follow - flip the reflector and mount it upside down? I think the recommendations are that these will collect too much water if you do that so it's not recommended.

mud 05-13-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 15904888)
Not sure I follow - flip the reflector and mount it upside down? I think the recommendations are that these will collect too much water if you do that so it's not recommended.

Yeah, If I remember right, the mounting bracket is on the bottom of the unit. If the unit hangs from the bracket (with the bracket on top). It is less likely to loosen up on long dirt rides.

Most of the good units you can not mount "upside down". The light pattern is wrong if you do it.

ducnut 05-13-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 15904358)
2010 CAAD9. Went up to a 56 from a 54 and changing over to BB30.

Oh that's right! I totally forgot. Pffft!

Chisenhallw 05-13-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 15901900)
FWI've heard, I'm surprised you didn't get bike-jacked or shot!

M

It's not that bad. And it's not like I ride slowly through bad neighborhoods shouting racial epithets. I mostly stuck to the student neighborhoods. The worst part was the roads. They're HORRIFIC.

I talked to some of the nice gents at <a href="http://twenty20cycling.com/">twenty20</a> cycling, the local (and only!) Specialized dealer in town. They say that as long as you're not a bloody moron your bike should be fine. And it's true; I left my rebuilt old Schwinn with crap parts locked up by its frame and front wheel <i>downtown</i> for a week straight and didn't have any problems. Didn't even lose my lights.

Now, I was looking at a property, and this guy had locked up a pretty decent Hardrock <i>by it's front quick-release wheel</i> next door. He hadn't locked up the frame.

Sure enough, next day it's gone. :lol3:cry Only the front wheel left.

pierce 05-13-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisenhallw (Post 15905944)
Now, I was looking at a property, and this guy had locked up a pretty decent Hardrock <i>by it's front quick-release wheel</i> next door. He hadn't locked up the frame.

Sure enough, next day it's gone. :lol3:cry Only the front wheel left.


my kid always locks up his old steel roadie next to the shiny carbon fiber bikes at school. heh.

TheNedster 05-13-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 15900866)
Good job on calling him out. Not so much for his sake, but hopefully it put some sense through that melon of his. We try to catch those idiots with earbuds before we leave the parking lot, but some of them inevitably slip through.

WTF is the rationale behind wearing earbuds on a group ride? Ride by yourself or go flog a stationary @ the gym.

Lewy 05-14-2011 01:39 AM

I reapeated my Easter Saturday 100km ride today. This is the trace of the original ride

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../EasterSat.jpg

The ride started badly with 2 cars trying to kill us in the first 3kms. Thankfully no more incidents followed.
We also had some issues with crossing the ferry as the guy said he would only take us when there was cars coming. We waited 20 minutes for him to come across. Then he said we needed a ticket but let us go across anyway. It was the same guy who let me on 3 weeks ago. According to the council website cyclists are free and it says nothing about waiting for traffic. I think a phone call is in order on Monday morning.
The ferry not coming to get us :evil:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0006.jpg

The singletrack on the Island.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0007.jpg

The tide was in today so riding across to Shoalhaven Heads was a little harder than last time.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0011.jpg

We got to Berry and had something to eat while we prepared for Woodhill Mtn.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0012.jpg

The bottom of the Mtn

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0014.jpg

And the top

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0021.jpg

The steeepest it got was 19% and I only just made it up with my 36-27 gearing.
My mate Nige decided to have a swing :D

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0023.jpg

Then it was along a nice scenic rd into Kangaroo Valley

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0024.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0028.jpg

After something to eat it was time to head up Mt Scanzi. I must admit I walked it as the whole climb is between 15-19%
and my legs didn't have it in them.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0029.jpg

I hit 70km/h down the other side on dirt which was fun until I had to stop on 35mm tyres.
One last causway crossing then it was back home to round out 100kms

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0031.jpg

ducnut 05-14-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewy (Post 15907849)
The steeepest it got was 19% and I only just made it up with my 36-27 gearing.

Get yourself a mid-cage rear derailleur, it'll allow you to run a 36T low-gear cassette. I did that on my GF's 'cross bike. I actually prefer her 46/36 'ring gear spacing better than the compact gearing on my 'cross.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014