ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

TheYeti 05-29-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 16032196)
Ahhh... It's nice to enjoy bicycling for a bit and not try to kill myself getting crazy miles in if the weather is anything less than "major blizzard" (and only because that's skiin' weather). :lol3

Looks like a major shindig up in Copper Harbor this weekend: https://www.imba.com/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=110

Heading up there to go play for the day.

Pretty much stripped down the Jake after the Royal. New cables and housings, derailer pulleys, brakes, and bar tape. Got the racks and fenders on it. Leaving next week for a 450 mile jaunt around WI with some friends. Might tack another 200 or so miles on the end of that, because- well, I'm me. :D

Is it the same set up you posted before for bikepacking. I'm supposed to go to the moutains for week trip next month. we will see how that works out.

TheNedster 05-29-2011 12:33 PM

Good gravel road ride on Saturday. 48 miles and change, 5840 ft. of elevation gain. The tank was empty at the end...I don't think I would have made it if it had been 50 miles. :twitch Lots of fun, pain, scenery and good food afterwards. The only thing in short supply was flat ground!

mgorman 05-29-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 16032294)
I'm cat 4 with almost enough points to upgrade. If nothing else, I'm looking forward to the 3's to get away from all the sketchy bike handling in the 4's and 5's. :lol3

My 1st 1-2 race was an experience. Flying along at break neck speed and nothing happened, no one swerved, attacked sideways, brake checked, panicked or screamed like a school girl. At one point I was being pinched off into a wooden rail, lightly tapped the offender on the hip and a 30" gap opened up. It was then and there I knew I was riding confident people. Not saying others aren't, I think the field of idiots thins out by natural selection :lol3

I also noticed the higher in category, the general racer population is both more polite and less cocky, however, you still have a few that carry a chip or 2.

Hope the rest of your races this weekend went well. I'm slowing down this week to save a little energy for the Mohican 100k. There is 7000+ feet of climbing and I'm hoping to finish well in the singlespeed class. The 1st time I tried the SS I got 1st, the 2nd time, 2nd, history will probably bring me a 3rd. If it does, I will be happy since it is my 1st real race back since the spinal fusion in December.

TheYeti 05-29-2011 05:50 PM

Well I finished the Hot weather acclimation ride 40 miles Of hills and Hot Humid weather. Drank 4 big bottles,poured the fifth one on me. Got home and drank another. The wify wanted to go riding so we did about 11 miles. all in all a good day. :clap

Gummee! 05-29-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgorman (Post 16029710)
Don't owe me anything, just do your best and be as professional as you can be

Screw that! I'ma gonna make him buy me beer and pizza as soon as I can get down there!

:1drink

M

Gummee! 05-29-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgorman (Post 16035848)
My 1st 1-2 race was an experience. Flying along at break neck speed and nothing happened, no one swerved, attacked sideways, brake checked, panicked or screamed like a school girl. At one point I was being pinched off into a wooden rail, lightly tapped the offender on the hip and a 30" gap opened up. It was then and there I knew I was riding confident people. Not saying others aren't, I think the field of idiots thins out by natural selection :lol3

I also noticed the higher in category, the general racer population is both more polite and less cocky, however, you still have a few that carry a chip or 2.

Hope the rest of your races this weekend went well. I'm slowing down this week to save a little energy for the Mohican 100k. There is 7000+ feet of climbing and I'm hoping to finish well in the singlespeed class. The 1st time I tried the SS I got 1st, the 2nd time, 2nd, history will probably bring me a 3rd. If it does, I will be happy since it is my 1st real race back since the spinal fusion in December.

The truly fast people are *usually* the nicest folks you'll meet. Its the ones that THINK they're fast that're the :asshat

:nod

Not sayin they won't put the hurtin on you when needed, there's just not the 'ego' that the 'think I'm fast' types have.

M

Signal 05-29-2011 07:05 PM

Congrats DZ on the National TT victory-
That grinnin guy can fly :D

A DZ story. Was the UT state TT, 'circa 93-94, 25 mi/40K race here in Ogden...

My starting time was 5 in ahead of Dave's (I think he was 17 or 18 at the time), and I was relieved 'cause I thought he wouldn't catch me.
I had a good day (for me)- came in at 58 minute and change.

With about 1k to go, I felt someone comming fast, only to look back as DZ was grinnin and flew by me, like a train. :lol3

mtndragon 05-29-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster (Post 16034121)
Good gravel road ride on Saturday. 48 miles and change, 5840 ft. of elevation gain. The tank was empty at the end...I don't think I would have made it if it had been 50 miles. :twitch Lots of fun, pain, scenery and good food afterwards. The only thing in short supply was flat ground!

Sounds great...

Where? :ear

TheNedster 05-29-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtndragon (Post 16037444)
Sounds great...

Where? :ear

Out of Hayfork in Trinity Co. All Forest Service roads.

Here's a video of the ride:

<IFRAME height=349 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JUUmdRtB1XE" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Jim Moore 05-30-2011 08:00 AM

It's On, Bitches!

I just got my clipless pedals. Next stop, Tour de France.

Gummee! 05-30-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 16039702)

You WILL fall. :nod anyone that says they didn't is lying.

Its usually at a stop sign/light when you've unclipped the wrong foot. DAMHIK what its like to fall over into traffic lanes when you first ride the things. Nope. Don't ask.

My recommendation is to go to a soccer field or the outfield in a baseball diamond and play tag* with someone. 1 it teaches you that hitting your front wheel's not the end of the world and B. you'll hafta clip in and out a bunch. Accelerates the learning curve.

*you hafta hit their rear wheel with your front wheel. Keep it in the smallest gear you have and limit your area to say the 10m box of a soccer field.

M

mtndragon 05-30-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster (Post 16037551)

Thanks for sharing. That looks like a perfect day to me. :clap

k7 05-30-2011 01:11 PM

Going to see the monkey

I tend to name my rides - short loop, long loop, South Mt ride, etc. This morning, I decided to take a quick ride over to a convenience store that's only about 10 km from home as the crow flies or the mt biker rides. On the streets through, it's 40-km away.

I don't have a name for this little ride - nothing came to mind until I saw this vandalized highway sign -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...10530-1031.jpg

Guess it'll be the "ape ride" as in Planet of the Apes moving forward.

:lol3

TheNedster 05-30-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 16039702)

Mad snot rocket skillz are also a requirement for the TdF.

TheYeti 05-30-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster (Post 16037551)

Here's a video of the ride:

<IFRAME height=349 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JUUmdRtB1XE" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Some daredevil desenders in there, on Cross bikes no less. Great bike handling and a great video

Thanks I enjoyed it

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:03 AM.