ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

SunFusion Solar 06-01-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtypumpkin (Post 2952614)
If you didnt plan on riding it in your city Id say get it.
Otherwise Id want a full susp with at least 5 inch travel front & rear.:D

Im doing about 60 a week now, slowly working my way back to 140.
Used to do a 20 mile round trip to college 5 days a week and 40 on weekends.
After I bought the KLX400 my mountain bike took a long break...:cry

Still on my 6 yr old DBR full susp cross country, still pretty light.
Has front & rear lockouts for pavement or hills.

I would have a roadie too but I like the dirt so much more and live near
a great river with far to many opportunities to drop off the paved trail.

http://www.mtbr.com/channels/mtbrevi...uct_349707.jpg

nice bike for Down Hill racing.. :)

Ridge 06-02-2011 05:59 AM

Moto-pacing session with the Yeti last night. Painful, fast but fun! Hanging a few inches off the license plate of a Silver Wing at 30+ mph takes a bit of getting used to. :lol3

Gummee! 06-02-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgorman (Post 16062082)
Not sure who's uptight and needs to chill, I was just commenting all the dopers aren't laughing right now.

I can only wish I was good enough to taste champaign on a podium of ANY race!! I'd not only drink it, I'd bath myself in it! Unless maybe if it were a frozen Belgium spring classic...

I stopped watching the Giro once it was determined that that doping SOB was gonna win. IDCare how well he's doing, he shouldn't be racing. Or allowed to race by organizers. Period.

...but that's my opinion...

...and unlike LA who never had a positive test (that we know about) AC's been busted.

M

Gummee! 06-02-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 16064631)
Moto-pacing session with the Yeti last night. Painful, fast but fun! Hanging a few inches off the license plate of a Silver Wing at 30+ mph takes a bit of getting used to. :lol3

I was out with a group. Yeah, a group! *gasp!* that don't happen often where I am.

There were 6 of us. I didn't quite try and rip their legs off, but I didn't get too far from it either.

M

mgorman 06-02-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 16064631)

It's a blast isn't? We have a road heavily traveled by the pirate community that we like to try and snag a ride from. The only bad thing, the noise and uncertainty they won't brake check you. Mostly, they look in the mirror, see you then drop the hammer and you! The bar at the end of the road is usually infested with them which when clad in double thick spandex and a bear cooler on your head, leaves you open to lots of heckling.

k7 06-02-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgorman (Post 16067318)
It's a blast isn't? We have a road heavily traveled by the pirate community that we like to try and snag a ride from. The only bad thing, the noise and uncertainty they won't brake check you. Mostly, they look in the mirror, see you then drop the hammer and you! The bar at the end of the road is usually infested with them which when clad in double thick spandex and a bear cooler on your head, leaves you open to lots of heckling.

We do a Thursday night recumbent ride here - mostly, it's a much older crowd. The last time I rode with them, we came up to a light and a scooter pulled up also.

When the light changed, he took off and I jumped his wheel. The guy was pretty cool about it and rolled on the throttle slowly as to not drop me.

About a minute later, he yelled back, "That's all I got" and my response was "Yep - me tooooooooooooo!"

I'm not sure that the oldsters appreciated my antics but as I told my buddy, it wouldn't be the first time that I've not been invited back to an organized ride.

The last time was in B'ham when the local group rode to a state park circa 1985. It seems that they didn't like my buddy and I jumping behind campers and drafting them.

Or maybe it was the water bottle fights or messing with each others gears during climbs. :dunno

mgorman 06-02-2011 02:12 PM

Sounds like K7 might be related to me!! I'm the local instigator of trouble around these parts too. In the future you may want to add flipping a seat post quick release to your resume' :evil (it's a mountain bike thing)

I made the mistake of drafting a dump truck once which went well until he hit a bump and dropped a cubic foot of dried dirt out from the rear end and literally "dusted" me.

Gummee! 06-02-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgorman (Post 16068370)
Sounds like K7 might be related to me!! I'm the local instigator of trouble around these parts too. In the future you may want to add flipping a seat post quick release to your resume' :evil (it's a mountain bike thing)

I made the mistake of drafting a dump truck once which went well until he hit a bump and dropped a cubic foot of dried dirt out from the rear end and literally "dusted" me.

I was effing around with a buddy of mine one ride. Tapped his rear knobbie with mine.

He looks around confused

Did it again

He hops off the bike and examines his rear wheel in a real state

I don't remember if I did it again, but when I grabbed onto his seat to let him pull me for a bit, he freaked the eff out.

It was right about then that I stopped messing with people. You just never know...

M

mgorman 06-02-2011 05:41 PM

That's some Buddy you have. I could see it if it were a race or something but we do that stuff all the time. My friends wife was a little upset when I scrubbed my knobby against hers on a trail ride. What came out of her mouth made even me blush!! I practice overlapping with my wife, so far she hasn't killed me.

TheYeti 06-02-2011 05:51 PM

Well I loaded the Surley up today.I made a list of the stuff I'm gonna take mapped it out on the bike,and loaded that sucker up.The only thing I didn't have was extra water( I don't have a domminary bag yet) And then I took it out for a ride ,heavy. It rode well though.went down a 30 mph hill and no shimmy,so good.:clap

Brakes leave a lot to be desired.I have to do something about that before I go to the moutains next month.

pierce 06-03-2011 12:43 AM

welp. changed the tires on my mashup hybrid, got me some nimbus 700x38's. phew, they are almost 0.2" wider than the last 700x38's I had, but definately feel like they'll work better in the dirt. lats weekend my prior old style Tom Slicks x38's were damn treacherous in the heavy mud at the music festival I was at, there were a few stretches I was amazed I rode through.

these things say MINIMUM 75 lbs, which seems rather high for such a fat tire (inflated to 80psi on my 1" wide rims, these things are 1.55" wide at the bulge).

trailer Rails 06-03-2011 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 16072268)
these things say MINIMUM 75 lbs, which seems rather high for such a fat tire (inflated to 80psi on my 1" wide rims, these things are 1.55" wide at the bulge).

Don't listen to the sidewall. Put however much you want in there. I am running 28mm tires on my commuter, setup up tubeless, at about 50-55psi. With innertubes and 38mm tires you should be okay down to 45-50.

YakSpout 06-03-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgorman (Post 16069912)
That's some Buddy you have. I could see it if it were a race or something but we do that stuff all the time. My friends wife was a little upset when I scrubbed my knobby against hers on a trail ride. What came out of her mouth made even me blush!! I practice overlapping with my wife, so far she hasn't killed me.

Just have to know your crowd, I guess. I have a buddy that I ride with and we'll screw with each other the whole way. Lots of seat-post grabs, etc. Most of the other folks I ride with aren't as comfortable on two wheels as we are and get pissy if you even ride too close alongside them. :lol3

2whl-hoop 06-03-2011 04:28 PM

Crank arm length...

..how does it influence the ride vs. the fit?

I hadn't thought about this before, but recently, after riding a bike with shorter than I am used to crank arms, I noticed I didn't get the burn in my thighs and calves that I am used to.

I don't know what to think of this...my speeds weren't really different (1 mph slower avg, but it's early in the year too), but the bike with the short arms weighed at least 10lbs more than the other.

Crank arm length also has to influence seat height...something I never really thought about until now, but I don't really understand the whole relationship. I mean I usually set my seat height in relation to the lowest point while pedalling, but obviously, if you have a longer crank, you will have to lower your seat, correct? How does this affect the whole thing...is it better to run shorter cranks and bigger gears or longer cranks and smaller gears or big cranks and big gears, be Damned your knees???

It's been kind of slow, discuss???....:hmmmmm

jocflier 06-03-2011 05:14 PM

Here you go...http://sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

Joc:D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:00 AM.