ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 05-25-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster (Post 15997340)
Good ride planned this weekend. 48.5 mi. of dirt roads up in the mountains. 5800 ft. of elevation gain with some grades in the 20% zone. I'm just gonna channel my inner Askel and keep reminding myself that I'm having fun.. Then it's off to San Diego all of June for work. Hey Gummee, I'm taking the bike; where's the good riding at down there?

Make sure you hit the track for Tues night racing. :nod They prolly won't let you race, but watching's fun too. Take the track class. Its a hoot to go round and round without worrying about cars, kids, dogs, gravel, etc.

Riding: depends on where you are and how fast you wanna go. Thurs Night Worlds is on Fiesta Island at ??6PM??

There's a few group rides: Wed at the stadium-ish (check with Adams Ave and/or High Tech)
Sat AM in the Golden Triangle with SDBC. You and 100s of your closest friends can ride up thru Rancho Santa Fe then sprint into Solana Beach
Swamis Sat AM in Encinitas. Faster than SDBC. Hillier too.

Then there's riding up and down the coast: start at the park-n-ride in Carmel Valley and ride north as far as you have time for. Return the same way. (there's a decent climb to get to Del Mar, but otherwise is fairly flat) Up the coast is where you'll have an opportunity to break your neck looking at the scenery walking by. :deal

Then there's loops: Del Dios Hwy, The Boulevard RR course, East Co., etc. That all depends on where you are and how much time you have. I was usually N. County Coastal so lots of my rides are based up there.

M

Gummee! 05-25-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails (Post 15999187)
You cannot just screw a fixed cog on a freewheel wheel. The cog will unscrew under braking. You need a true fixed gear hub that has a reverse lockring.

Not completely true. I've commuted bunches on a non-lockringed cog. Yeah, its not as safe, but its not a death wish either.

IIRC lockrings from BBs are the same size/thread pitch as the threads on a FW hub. Double check me cause its been a while since I've ridden one.

I useta make fixed hubs out of FW Am Classic hubs all the time and never worried about lockrings.

M

k7 05-25-2011 08:17 AM

time for a new goal

The scales said that I'm now under 200 lbs for the first time since 1991. I guess that's not too bad at my height, 6'2" / 1.88m

That's a total loss of ~ 45 lbs over the last few years. Cycling gets the credit for the final push.

New goal: 195 lbs.

TheNedster 05-25-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 15999524)
Make sure you hit the track for Tues night racing. :nod They prolly won't let you race, but watching's fun too. Take the track class. Its a hoot to go round and round without worrying about cars, kids, dogs, gravel, etc.

Riding: depends on where you are and how fast you wanna go. Thurs Night Worlds is on Fiesta Island at ??6PM??

There's a few group rides: Wed at the stadium-ish (check with Adams Ave and/or High Tech)
Sat AM in the Golden Triangle with SDBC. You and 100s of your closest friends can ride up thru Rancho Santa Fe then sprint into Solana Beach
Swamis Sat AM in Encinitas. Faster than SDBC. Hillier too.

Then there's riding up and down the coast: start at the park-n-ride in Carmel Valley and ride north as far as you have time for. Return the same way. (there's a decent climb to get to Del Mar, but otherwise is fairly flat) Up the coast is where you'll have an opportunity to break your neck looking at the scenery walking by. :deal

Then there's loops: Del Dios Hwy, The Boulevard RR course, East Co., etc. That all depends on where you are and how much time you have. I was usually N. County Coastal so lots of my rides are based up there.

M

Cool, man. I'm staying right by the SDSU campus and will be starting all my rides from the hotel. I'm taking the CX wheelset too and am on the lookout for decent dirt trails as well.

TheYeti 05-25-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 15999577)
The scales said that I'm now under 200 lbs for the first time since 1991. I guess that's not too bad at my height, 6'2" / 1.88m

That's a total loss of ~ 45 lbs over the last few years. Cycling gets the credit for the final push.

Nice going! That's a lot of weight. Good luck with new goal.:freaky:clap I'm working towards the same goal, you are a bit ahead of me I've dropped 35 lbs,I'm at 230 now. I'm a touch taller at 6'3"

k7 05-25-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 16002769)
Nice going! That's a lot of weight. Good luck with new goal.:freaky:clap I'm working towards the same goal, you are a bit ahead of me I've dropped 35 lbs,I'm at 230 now. I'm a touch taller at 6'3"

Thank you. It been a long journey. I did the Adkins diet to drop from the 245 range to 225. That was around 2005.

From 2007 until 2010, I did the gym/rat thing. At least twice a week and usually 3 times a week.

In late 2009, I purchased the Fargo and when I lost my father in Feb/10, I lost all enthusiasm for just about everything. I still went to the gym though -only as a necessity though.

Once Jan/11 rolled around, I felt a huge urge to pick up the cycling again. The Fargo is a great bike but my neck was starting to bother me as I extended the miles. In Feb, I got the recumbent - love at first ride.

Slowly, my speed is increasing as I develop 'recumbent muscles'. My normal route is shrinking as my speed increases - the hills are smaller too. Know what I mean?

I've added a new set of wheels - dynohub/LED lights, 700x32 tires and my first ride on the new setup was a personal best over the same route. I've ordered a new aluminum frame & carbon forks - and a new seat....all for the recumbent.

I'm in love again with cycling - the weight loss is icing on the cake. I hope I can complete the full brevet series starting in Nov - it'll be interesting to say the least.

Thanks!

TheYeti 05-26-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 16006071)
Thank you. It been a long journey. I did the Adkins diet to drop from the 245 range to 225. That was around 2005.

From 2007 until 2010, I did the gym/rat thing. At least twice a week and usually 3 times a week.

In late 2009, I purchased the Fargo and when I lost my father in Feb/10, I lost all enthusiasm for just about everything. I still went to the gym though -only as a necessity though.

Once Jan/11 rolled around, I felt a huge urge to pick up the cycling again. The Fargo is a great bike but my neck was starting to bother me as I extended the miles. In Feb, I got the recumbent - love at first ride.

Slowly, my speed is increasing as I develop 'recumbent muscles'. My normal route is shrinking as my speed increases - the hills are smaller too. Know what I mean?

I've added a new set of wheels - dynohub/LED lights, 700x32 tires and my first ride on the new setup was a personal best over the same route. I've ordered a new aluminum frame & carbon forks - and a new seat....all for the recumbent.

I'm in love again with cycling - the weight loss is icing on the cake. I hope I can complete the full brevet series starting in Nov - it'll be interesting to say the least.

Thanks!

Sorry for your loss, I can feel your pain,I lost my mon in 12-03 and my dad in 1-06. It's still hard at times.:cry

The biking for me is getting so much easier minus the weight. the hills get shorter. I've noticed the routes I ride just seem quicker ,They take a little less time.It's the fact the fitiness is comming around and effort to ride is so much less.

You gonna ride this summer in the heat you've got there (Az ?):cry

TheYeti 05-26-2011 06:56 AM

Power meters

Hey Ridge, Which power meter did you go with, and why? Which head Garmin,or other?

trailer Rails 05-26-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 15999553)
Not completely true. I've commuted bunches on a non-lockringed cog. Yeah, its not as safe, but its not a death wish either.

IIRC lockrings from BBs are the same size/thread pitch as the threads on a FW hub. Double check me cause its been a while since I've ridden one.

I useta make fixed hubs out of FW Am Classic hubs all the time and never worried about lockrings.

M

You are right in that a bb lockring is the same diameter and thread pitch. We have some very steep hills here in pittsburgh and running a fixed cog on a freewheel hub is a death wish. It would be like running a brake cable that is cut half way through, would you do it? It would be fine for most stops and braking use but the one time that you need to stop hard it might let go.

Ridge 05-26-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 16008502)
Hey Ridge, Which power meter did you go with, and why? Which head Garmin,or other?

I'm currently using the ibike Aero, but I believe it will be gone as soon as I find a deal on a Quarq Cinqo. The ibike is acceptable as far as meters go, but it is very difficult to dial in and you cannot see instant power. Rather, you have to calculate it based on a bar meter and the number displayed. It works off of opposing resistance forces rather than direct stress meter measurements so it is not as effective in pacelines, or drafting of any kind. The only upside to the iaero is that I can use it as a head unit for the quarq when I find one. It's really just a super-technical overly complicated bike computer. All the high end functions of the most expensive bike computer you can find, but with a wind port to measure opposing forces.

jocflier 05-26-2011 08:03 AM

Way to go Gerry!:clap Trying to do the same thing. Great Job.

Joc

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 15999577)

k7 05-26-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 16008099)
Sorry for your loss, I can feel your pain,I lost my mon in 12-03 and my dad in 1-06. It's still hard at times.:cry

The biking for me is getting so much easier minus the weight. the hills get shorter. I've noticed the routes I ride just seem quicker ,They take a little less time.It's the fact the fitiness is comming around and effort to ride is so much less.

You gonna ride this summer in the heat you've got there (Az ?):cry

I feel your pain. My mother has Alzheimer and is gone...but her body is still sticking around. We suspect that she may have brest cancer but it's not something that we will have treated. It's just a matter of time now.

Riding in the summer: too early to tell. Typcially, I've gotten up at the crack of dawn to do other activities (kayaking) and by 0800, it's tough. With my lights, I'm wondering if riding in the late evening and into the night might be a better idea. The heat would be worse but at least I'm not getting up at 0400.

We are doing Ragbrai this summer so I'll get a bit of a reprieve. I'd like to ride a 200-km brevet in Nov so not riding through the summer isn't an option. I can't even wait on cool weather since it normally doesn't break until mid-to-late Oct!

No worries - I'll get it done one way or another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier (Post 16008998)
Way to go Gerry!:clap Trying to do the same thing. Great Job.

Joc

Good luck to you. I'm sure it won't take you nearly as long as it took me! :evil

Gummee! 05-26-2011 10:03 AM

I did the hardest ride I've done in years last nite. Just south of Culpeper, VA. Drove down to meet a buddy an we rode to the ride start at a bicycle-friendly c-store in the middle of effing nowhere. 18-ish miles to the ride start at an easy-to-moderate pace. That took 1:15 or so.

Then the ride started. People were cruising pretty good thru the first bit 'cause it was flat-ish. As a note: there's no such thing as flat in that section of VA. You're either going up or you're going down. Not like around my house.

I was chit-chatting with a current VA Tech student/cycling team member and reminiscing about some of the rides round Tech when we got to the bottom of the first large-ish hill. This one has several stair-steps and I didn't wanna bury myself staying at the pace of the skinny little SOBs so I dropped back a bit. Didn't catch on on the downhill, but did manage to get on at the stop sign. :augie Snuck into the draft again and sucked wheels for a bit.

Popped again a few miles down the road after I pulled thru (stoopit!) and the legs just didn't wanna go that hard to catch back onto the back of the front 5 guys.

Got caught by a pair of stragglers and we rode semi-together for a bit. Caught the 5 lead guys at a stoplight. Sucked back onto the wheels for a bit when I noticed that the guy in front of me was leaving a bike-length gap between him and the guy in front of him. :baldy So I went around him and sucked onto some better wheels. :nod

Up and down, up and down, up and ... well you get the picture. Every time we went up, I got closer and closer to my redline. Finally after a 1-lane bridge and looking at the hill in front of me, I popped for good. Luckily, we were within 4-5mi of the end of the ride by then.

I rode moderately to the end of the ride and was 6th guy in. The dood that was leaving a gap passed me and was 5th in.

I was managing to recover going downhill at 50kph (35-ish mph) but I never got back to zero, it was always plus something. Enough of that and my legs always pop. I can cruise on the flats going pretty effing quickly, but uphills have always been a bugaboo. :dunno

At one point just before I popped, I'd managed to get in front of the two guys that were helping pull with the 2 teammates from the Bike Stop. I goofed up their pacing and the 2 teammates pulled away. As they were hauling arse up the road, I kept seeing one of em smirking at us over his shoulder. Bastard! Gave him shit about that at the end...

Overall, I'm happy with the way the legs went. Got more hills to work on... Either that or just do mas intervals and deal with it. :dunno There's not a lot of hill-climbing in crits.

Just got back from a very easy 1hr spin around the block. Man! but my legs are tired from yesterday.

Yesterday the scale said 172. That's within 17# of the weight at which I graduated college. :thumb Not bad for a middle-aged eff-tard!

M

Oznerol 05-26-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails (Post 16008524)
We have some very steep hills here in pittsburgh and running a fixed cog on a freewheel hub is a death wish. It would be like running a brake cable that is cut half way through, would you do it? It would be fine for most stops and braking use but the one time that you need to stop hard it might let go.

Just because your drivetrain is fixed doesn't mean you can't run brakes as well. I've always had a front brake on the fixed gears I've owned. If you need to stop hard and you don't have a front brake, you're probably screwed regardless of how well put-together your drivetrain is.

Wadester 05-26-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol (Post 16010358)
Just because your drivetrain is fixed doesn't mean you can't run brakes as well. I've always had a front brake on the fixed gears I've owned. If you need to stop hard and you don't have a front brake, you're probably screwed regardless of how well put-together your drivetrain is.

Surly (and Phil) makes a fixed-disc hub:
http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphic...HU/HU0231B.jpg

For us crazy MTB/FX types.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:41 PM.