ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

knary 11-26-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry

Oh, great. Another 'MOA member. :razor

:hide

Zodiac 11-26-2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Oh, great. Another 'MOA member. :razor

:hide

Behind me is an ADV sticker....:D

Gummee! 11-27-2006 07:14 AM

Quote:

Yeah they're a bit high.

I hope you're not ragging on my long sleeve jersey, I just got that (adidas), it's nice and warm.

The shirt underneath is an ancient HIND running top.

Nothing wrong with cheap....:evil :deal

Well, at least its wicking. Now TUCK THAT THING IN!

Geez! Fuckin n00bs!

:lol2

M

Banshee 11-27-2006 07:33 AM

sorry about the :spam but I've been wanting to post this info in this thread for a while...

This August I provided motorcycle crew support for a bicycle charity ride to benefit an AIDS vaccine from Montreal to Portland, Maine. This was an amazing and fun group of people and 100% of the money they raise goes to the charity.

check it out if you want and they always need crew :D

http://www.charitytreks.org/

gambrinus 11-27-2006 08:04 AM

Cold weather gear

I'm a HUGE fan of the Craft stuff for a base layer when it's chilly.. When it gets downright COLD, I go for the "smartwool" stuff. It's a bit spendy and i only have two pieces, but it sure does work. Upside is that I can wear it on cold mornings on the BMW as well...

just thought I'd share

RW

blacksan 11-27-2006 12:32 PM

Raleigh Rush Hour

I really want a fixie and went down to the local bike shop for a spin on a Raleigh Rush Hour. I was really impresses with it considering the price point. has anyone else tried one?

Gummee! 11-27-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
I'm a HUGE fan of the Craft stuff for a base layer when it's chilly.. When it gets downright COLD, I go for the "smartwool" stuff. It's a bit spendy and i only have two pieces, but it sure does work. Upside is that I can wear it on cold mornings on the BMW as well...

just thought I'd share

RW

+1 on the Craft stuff! Great stuff. Spendy and worth every penny! :nod

Never tried Smartwool.

M

rtrider 11-27-2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Now about that t-shirt! :puke2 Get a few jerseys ya cheep fuck! :lol2

M

why does everyone with a bike w/more than 3 gears feel the need to get dressed up like lance fucking armstrong? does the beergut-enhancing billboard that you paid good money to be somebody's rolling adverstisement speed fatburning or you like the way your gut hangs over your nut-hugging tights? :lol3

YakSpout 11-27-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrider
why does everyone with a bike w/more than 3 gears feel the need to get dressed up like lance fucking armstrong? does the beergut-enhancing billboard that you paid good money to be somebody's rolling adverstisement speed fatburning or you like the way your gut hangs over your nut-hugging tights? :lol3

I used to laugh at the rolling billboards, too... Now I own some of that gear myself. (Although, in sensible solid colors.)

Doing 10 leisurely miles in walking shorts and a t-shirt are one thing. Doing 30+ relatively quick miles in that same gear? :nono Unless you're into chafing.

gambrinus 11-27-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

+1 on the Craft stuff! Great stuff. Spendy and worth every penny! :nod

Never tried Smartwool.

M

Smartwool is THE finest stuff to keep you warm while doing any type of exercise in the cold. Soft as cotton and warm as wool, which it is. "merino wool" is the generic term, "Smartwool" is a brand. Some of the stuff is at REI.

RW

blacksan 11-27-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
I used to laugh at the rolling billboards, too... Now I own some of that gear myself. (Although, in sensible solid colors.)

Doing 10 leisurely miles in walking shorts and a t-shirt are one thing. Doing 30+ relatively quick miles in that same gear? :nono Unless you're into chafing.

When my sack is on fire from chafing I personally feel very manly. :lift

Gummee! 11-27-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout

Its a slow assimilation, ain't it? I've sold mtn shorts and liners to budding roadies KNOWING that they'll be back once they get beyond the 15mph and 20mi/ride barriers. :nod

You wear regular shorts and t-shirts and are OK. Then you look around one day and notice that yer butt hurts at about the hour mark. You go buy yer first pair of shorts, wondering WhyTF would ANYone wear $100+ shorts :dunno :confused.

Then you get to about the 2-hour mark and wonder WhyTF yer butt's still hurting! Its the chafing this time... Then you go buy some nicer shorts and all is well. :nod

Then you start to ride thru the fall and wonder WhyTF yer cold. So you buy a thermal jersey. You keep wearing t-shirts tho... ...And are STILL cold, so you buy some SS jerseys at the urging of yer neighborhood LBS.

Then you figger out that yer getting pretty fast and wanna race. So you join a club/team and start wearing their gear. After the first year, you change teams and you have to buy the NEW stuff.

And so on, and so forth.

Pretty soon yer closet looks like a technicolor whirlwind went thru and dropped off a BUNCH of clothes...

...and THEN you realize that yer bike is heavy and don't have enuff gears...

...and then you look at the MULTIPLE pairs of $100+ shorts and wonder WhyTF would ANYone NOT ride in em!

M

Zodiac 11-27-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Its a slow assimilation, ain't it? I've sold mtn shorts and liners to budding roadies KNOWING that they'll be back once they get beyond the 15mph and 20mi/ride barriers. :nod

You wear regular shorts and t-shirts and are OK. Then you look around one day and notice that yer butt hurts at about the hour mark. You go buy yer first pair of shorts, wondering WhyTF would ANYone wear $100+ shorts :dunno :confused.

Then you get to about the 2-hour mark and wonder WhyTF yer butt's still hurting! Its the chafing this time... Then you go buy some nicer shorts and all is well. :nod

Then you start to ride thru the fall and wonder WhyTF yer cold. So you buy a thermal jersey. You keep wearing t-shirts tho... ...And are STILL cold, so you buy some SS jerseys at the urging of yer neighborhood LBS.

Then you figger out that yer getting pretty fast and wanna race. So you join a club/team and start wearing their gear. After the first year, you change teams and you have to buy the NEW stuff.

And so on, and so forth.

Pretty soon yer closet looks like a technicolor whirlwind went thru and dropped off a BUNCH of clothes...

...and THEN you realize that yer bike is heavy and don't have enuff gears...

...and then you look at the MULTIPLE pairs of $100+ shorts and wonder WhyTF would ANYone NOT ride in em!

M

I'm in the early stages of this disease....:cry

Gummee! 11-27-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
Smartwool is THE finest stuff to keep you warm while doing any type of exercise in the cold. Soft as cotton and warm as wool, which it is. "merino wool" is the generic term, "Smartwool" is a brand. Some of the stuff is at REI.

RW

Oh, I KNOW what Smartwool stuff is, I just never tried any.

Got other stuff instead: Craft, D-Feet, Nike, Capiline, etc.

:dunno

M

Gummee! 11-27-2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

I'm in the early stages of this disease....:cry

At least you know the symptoms now!

:lol2

Seriously, once you figger out that the skin-tight stuff is better, its a quick, slippery slope!

:evil

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:20 PM.