ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 11-29-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Pretty much.

:dunno

Perry, if yer racin there's distinct periods in the year when people just go out and JRA. Its called 'winter.' :nod Spring, Summer, and Fall are times for racing and focused training.

One day, grasshopper, you too will understand! :pope

M

What's "JRA"?

All I know was these guys were out of the saddle on every hill, huffing and puffing, and they didn't like the fact that everytime they came up to pass me, they couldn't lose me, and I would pass them instead.

Sucks for them, they were rude and snobby, and weak too:D

(I'm not gonna let you steal tonights thunder....... Mr Specialized:evil )

pierce 11-29-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
What's "JRA"?

All I know was these guys were out of the saddle on every hill, huffing and puffing, and they didn't like the fact that everytime they came up to pass me, they couldn't lose me, and I would pass them instead.

yah know, just MAYBE they'd been riding a LOT longer distance before you came on them? :dunno

Gummee! 11-29-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

What's "JRA"?

Sucks for them, they were rude and snobby, and weak too:D

(I'm not gonna let you steal tonights thunder....... Mr Specialized:evil )

JRA is Just Riding Along aka 'when shit breaks.' So no shit, there I was JRA and WHAMMO my XYZ did ABC. Honest, I wasn't jumpin or nothin! :confused

Bike shop employees are instantly suspicious of the JRA stories. :nod

JRA is also the time roadies stop and smell the roses. :ricky Take in the sights. Stop at the coffee shop and chitchat. Etc.

M

Zodiac 11-29-2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
yah know, just MAYBE they'd been riding a LOT longer distance before you came on them? :dunno

Nope, did my first 2 loops round the park (12.4) I watched them when they all came in at 72nd street, They were fresh, and I, wasn't born yesterday.

Zodiac 11-29-2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

JRA is Just Riding Along aka 'when shit breaks.' So no shit, there I was JRA and WHAMMO my XYZ did ABC. Honest, I wasn't jumpin or nothin! :confused

Bike shop employees are instantly suspicious of the JRA stories. :nod

JRA is also the time roadies stop and smell the roses. :ricky Take in the sights. Stop at the coffee shop and chitchat. Etc.

M

Good to learn the lingo.

But these poseurs weren't smelling anything but my rubber when they huffed up those tiny hills...:deal

Gummee! 11-29-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Good to learn the lingo.

But these poseurs weren't smelling anything but my rubber when they huffed up those tiny hills...:deal

:whatever

:lol2

M

Flaco 11-29-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

M

AKA LSD

F.

Zodiac 11-29-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

:whatever

:lol2

M

Oh I forgot, only "real" cyclist guys can report on having a good ride here....

I don't recall ever knocking anyone here who gave accounts of some of their more successful cranky adventures.

Guess it's just not possible that in the middle of NYC (A few million people), I didn't happen upon a few poseurs in the park who just couldn't keep up.

yeah,

whatever.

knary 11-29-2006 09:26 PM

Perry,
You're not allowed to ride quickly if you're not wearing colors befitting a mid-80's sport bike. Duh.

:lurk

achiral 11-29-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

I don't recall ever knocking anyone here who gave accounts of some of their more successful cranky adventures.

Guess it's just not possible that in the middle of NYC (A few million people), I didn't happen upon a few poseurs in the park who just couldn't keep up.

yeah,

whatever.

It's good that you are enjoying cycling - it's just that braggadocio doesn't compliment anyone.

Ride your own ride. If someone is faster or slower, be glad they too are out on two wheels instead of in a cage. If you want to race - well, sign up and race.

From Gummee's posts, it looks like he's probably done his share of 6+ hour training rides. And at the end of the ride, probably had his share of people trying to 'race', ride recklessly, draft without asking, and exhibiting other dodgy behavior. It gets old after a while.

(On another note, I've heard tell that the number of coffee-house riders around central park is amazingly high. Crazy expensive bikes, full Euro kit, and all of it spit polished for image.)

Flaco 11-30-2006 07:02 AM

Quote:

yeah,

whatever.

ONya, Perry. Drop those mutha fokkers...

In Boulder, there's a whole mini culture developed around 'Creek Path Racing'. It's hilarious. I'd be cruising along on my commuter and some frat boy on a $2000 full suspension bike w/ no helmet would pass me like he had somewhere to go. So I'd just speed up and make him hold that pace until he blew up. It was great passing them and seeing how red their faces were.

There was this one guy I had to race everyday for months. Every fokking morning he'd pass me on the path and I'd have to pass him back. As the summer wore on he'd get faster and I'd end up taking a different route (his route) because I hadn't shaken him when it was time for me to turn off.

I can remember heading up Boulder Canyon after work in summer and there would be a full on mountain bike race going up the canyon to where there are trails.

F.

PS I'd be careful saying all those guys in Central Park are poseurs...I've ridden with a group of guys from the UN that gave me all I could handle.

Zodiac 11-30-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiral
It's good that you are enjoying cycling - it's just that braggadocio doesn't compliment anyone.

Ride your own ride. If someone is faster or slower, be glad they too are out on two wheels instead of in a cage. If you want to race - well, sign up and race.

From Gummee's posts, it looks like he's probably done his share of 6+ hour training rides. And at the end of the ride, probably had his share of people trying to 'race', ride recklessly, draft without asking, and exhibiting other dodgy behavior. It gets old after a while.

(On another note, I've heard tell that the number of coffee-house riders around central park is amazingly high. Crazy expensive bikes, full Euro kit, and all of it spit polished for image.)

I think there's a big difference in me posting what I thought was a motivating brief ride report, and bragging. If anything, I was thinking these guys all decked out in $$$gear would be smoking me once our paths met on the loop. I was "excited" with my improvement....forgive me...

I've read plenty of Gummee's posts on his rides, never dropped him any negativity for it, even if he's blathering on about earning points for a freaking microsensor bib.....:huh....again...

Came off as condescending on all counts.

There's also a big difference in as you say "trying to race' and keepin one's own pace.
I was in a zone if you will last night, a friend who does TRI's was riding with me and he bonked early on He even called ma later and said he'd never seen me so quick before (he and I were trying to keep a speed/pace going).

If these guys weren't trying to race me, then why did they come up on me twice, (which I gave them lead), just to slow down and spoil my pace?

I never drafted one of them either. Image was nothing to me last night.

I can't wait to pass them again now that I think about it. If they want to play, so be it. I still never can understand the mentality of these cats who blast up behind you, pass ya, then slow down. Then they look at you like you're trying to race them when you resume your pace and pass them back.

?

Zodiac 11-30-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco
ONya, Perry. Drop those mutha fokkers...

In Boulder, there's a whole mini culture developed around 'Creek Path Racing'. It's hilarious. I'd be cruising along on my commuter and some frat boy on a $2000 full suspension bike w/ no helmet would pass me like he had somewhere to go. So I'd just speed up and make him hold that pace until he blew up. It was great passing them and seeing how red their faces were.

There was this one guy I had to race everyday for months. Every fokking morning he'd pass me on the path and I'd have to pass him back. As the summer wore on he'd get faster and I'd end up taking a different route (his route) because I hadn't shaken him when it was time for me to turn off.

I can remember heading up Boulder Canyon after work in summer and there would be a full on mountain bike race going up the canyon to where there are trails.

F.

PS I'd be careful saying all those guys in Central Park are poseurs...I've ridden with a group of guys from the UN that gave me all I could handle.

Thanks, Flac, I hear ya.

(But for the record I NEVER said "all those guys in the CP are poseurs..." just the one's I ran into last night.)

I've seen messengers in the park wearing high top sneakers with a KRYPTO chain pass roadies so I never judge a book by the cover.)

knary 11-30-2006 10:49 AM

Perry, FWIW, congrats on the rides and riding. I took the lame path when the weather turned nasty. As for me, getting a little competitive can be a great motivator, even if the race is only in my mind. :thumb

Ken 11-30-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
As for me, getting a little competitive can be a great motivator, even if the race is only in my mind. :thumb

+1 ... I hate being "passed" and have not allowed it, much... :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:02 PM.