ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Ridge 07-06-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 16332936)
Got in a ride last Friday for 80 minutes at about 15 mph average. Then Saturday while working on the sprinkler heads, my back decided it had not had enough attention and went nuts. Sunday morning I decided that since riding usually helped, I'd go for a ride.

Probably not one of my better ideas. 128 minutes later after an average of 16.1 mph I was feeling better I thought until I laid down to recover with my legs up. Back went into overdrive bad mode.

So, I spent the rest of Sunday pretty much stationary on my back. Monday the 4th saw zero activity other than just managing to get the spark plugs, air and fuel filters replaced on the Adventure. And a little tune on it. Now, that is ready to go, and I went to shower figuring I'd run down to Newport Dunes on the motorcycle instead of the bicycle so I could get back early for bed. The shower felt really good, but when I was drying off, my back had that twinge again. Back on the floor. I called the family and told them I was taking the rest of the holiday off.

Today I finally feel OK to walk. Standing a bit and sitting don't hurt anymore. :clap

Tonight a light spin for my last chance on the bike for a week or so. Then packing and laundry.
even with all the laying around over the long weekend I'm still down on my weight about 6 pounds or so. My resting pulse is down to below 50 now. It has been up to 60. Back in the racing days in my 40's I had a resting pulse of about 35 still. I probably won't ever see that again, but I want to drop it back into the 40's if I can.
Still looking to drop 15 more pounds or so. 20 would be even better.
While I'm on vacation I figure to walk a good hour at least a day. Once I get to altitude an hour will work me pretty well I expect.
Almost wish I was taking the bicycle rather than the big Adventure... almost.:lol3

Man, that sucks. Hope it heals up soon. We may have to put you on one of those [ick] bent recliner bikes [/ick]. :lol3

Gummee! 07-06-2011 09:10 PM

1:40-ish tonite with the group outta Culpeper. Guy that has a power meter said it was harder than normal, but I didn't think so. :dunno Coupla people bitching at me for either not pulling (BS) or pulling too hard too late (BS again)

The guy bitching that I wasn't pulling was shithooking and I kept sliding in in front of him. Ummmm if I'm allatime in front of you because you're not pulling, then WHO is?! :confused

If I'm not pulling hard enough, why are you bitching at me for keeping the pace the same as it had been?

I couldn't win for losing tonite.

Towards the end of the ride I was on the front at 35-36kph kinda letting everyone get into a line and tried to pull off. Guy behind me sits on my wheel and sez 'you're pulling.'

So I thought eff y'all and ramped the speed up to where I wanted it to be (41-42kph) and held is as long as I could. Right after that, the speed went back down to 32-33kph. :bluduh We're within a few miles of the end, c'mon folks! Try a little something here!

...and that was about a mile after an attack at the top of a hill on a chip/seal section of road. We got chased down, but the person doing the chasing popped. :razor Doh! Yeah, my legs blew right after the hill, but I could still keep up 35-36kph on the false flat with one of my teammates. If there'd been one more person, I think we coulda held em off.

There's been better rides. I didn't even feel particularly good tonite either.

M

Gummee! 07-06-2011 09:12 PM

Dood! I know this guy!

Mark Whitehead dies

Not like we were close buddies or anything, but I got along with him at the races in Sandy Eggo.

:eek1

M

soewe812 07-07-2011 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 16332207)
You still riding? How's it going?!

I'm in VA and up to 4 built bikes and 2 frames. Down to zero MCs tho. :cry Also down 30#! :clap

M

Still riding. I moved closer to work so now I am commuting 8 miles each way in the dark. Love the Magicshine just sayin. I also picked up a single speed mtn bike. My old ass knees say I shoulda got gears. Maybe upgrade after paying off some bills. Need to ride more. Way more.

Gummee! 07-07-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soewe812 (Post 16336722)
Still riding. I moved closer to work so now I am commuting 8 miles each way in the dark. Love the Magicshine just sayin. I also picked up a single speed mtn bike. My old ass knees say I shoulda got gears. Maybe upgrade after paying off some bills. Need to ride more. Way more.

:thumb Great to hear from you.

Keep it um mang!

M

taki5 07-07-2011 10:41 AM

ive been considering buying a relatively cheap single speed bike just for messing around, and have sort of narrowed it down to a new 2009 specialized langster on closeout for $400, or a motobecane single speed cyclocross bike from bikesdirect for the same price.

any thoughts? i like the langster, but the cyclocross bike would seem to be more bombproof/versatile, with the larger tires and steel frame, plus the ability to handle gravel/dirt trails/roads (which i have access to).

any thoughts?

Ridge 07-07-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taki5 (Post 16338937)
ive been considering buying a relatively cheap single speed bike just for messing around, and have sort of narrowed it down to a new 2009 specialized langster on closeout for $400, or a motobecane single speed cyclocross bike from bikesdirect for the same price.

any thoughts? i like the langster, but the cyclocross bike would seem to be more bombproof/versatile, with the larger tires and steel frame, plus the ability to handle gravel/dirt trails/roads (which i have access to).

any thoughts?

I owned a Langster for a while and it was one of my favorite bikes... even rode it across Iowa for my first RAGBRAI. That said, I think a steel frame will offer a better ride, but not necessarily the Motobecane from Bikesdirect. I know a few ppl that have bought their bikes from the site. Some have had problems with warranty, others were happy with the purchase. A CX frame will offer more in the way of utility and rough road comfort though. The Langster is an aluminum frame and can get buzzy on chip-seal or rough road surfaces.

zippy 07-08-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

any thoughts?

Sounds like the SS cross bike is more what you are looking for. The steel bike will be heavier than the langster for sure. I own a langster and it is a lot of fun. Light and fast. I have purchased from bikedirect and was pleased with my purchase. Didn't experience any issues that needed Customer Service so I can't comment on that.

Gummee! 07-08-2011 01:12 PM

I'm a big proponent of 'if you can only have 1 bike, get a cross bike.' Goes off-road. Goes on the road. Just... goes.

I don't ride mine near enough thru the summer. Its actually got a spiderweb on the handlebars cause I've been on the road-road bikes so much. There's shoe/cleat issues + I always seem to forget to put on the mtn shoes when going out.

I've taken my cross bike places where guys normally ride DS bikes. :nod I've ridden it in fast group rides. :nod Gravel road? Sure. :ricky

M

Gummee! 07-10-2011 10:58 AM

Fri 2.5hrs with 5 x 1min or 90sec intervals. Included was about an hour of tempo.

Sat 4-ish hrs mostly easy, but rolly ride around Remington/Brandy Station

This AM 2:00 hrs or so mostly easy with about 15min of attacks and fast riding thrown in in the middle.

I'm debating on UW Hockey this PM. I'm beat.

I felt like poo this AM till the attacks started then my legs woke up. :confused That don't happen often. :nah When I don't feel good, it *usually* lasts the whole ride.

M

TheNedster 07-10-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 16347741)
I'm a big proponent of 'if you can only have 1 bike, get a cross bike.' Goes off-road. Goes on the road. Just... goes.

I don't ride mine near enough thru the summer. Its actually got a spiderweb on the handlebars cause I've been on the road-road bikes so much. There's shoe/cleat issues + I always seem to forget to put on the mtn shoes when going out.

I've taken my cross bike places where guys normally ride DS bikes. :nod I've ridden it in fast group rides. :nod Gravel road? Sure. :ricky

M

Truth!

2 hrs. of MTB this morning with pavement at either end. I rode from the house since my FIL is borrowing the truck. Small Block Eights aren't too dismal on the road, but it was still a slow boat to/from the trail.

Gummee! 07-10-2011 02:24 PM

No UW Hockey for me today. Took a nap instead.

M

somecallmetim 07-11-2011 07:02 AM

Lust.

Someone else please buy this, or tell me what a terrible idea it would be for me to...

http://www.joinomba.org/phpBB3/viewt...p?f=17&t=19182

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/P1050439.jpg

I don't even have a road bike, i've been on the lookout for a reasonablely priced crosss or touring bike. I know you can spend as much as you have building up a bike, but what would be a reasonable amount to budget for a project worthy of this frame?

kannonbal 07-11-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

any thoughts?

Check out the Swobo Sanchez; it shows up on Bonktown every now and then for $369 (retails for $739). I have been riding the piss out of mine and is very very fun and quick. I am 6' and got the 57cm and it fits very nicely. May upgrade wheels and crank at some point, but she is great right out of the box.

kannonbal 07-11-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 16347741)

M

+1, I put a ton of miles on my Kona Jake, though I did put 25mm road tires on her. I think that she may be virtually retired when the new Madone 5.2 shows up later this week:evil.

Where do you guys come down on the road pedal thing? I am leaning towards some Look Keo Pluses, but would love to hear some other opinions.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:40 PM.