ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

vfr700 07-27-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 16492665)
I think this is going to be an agree to disagree thing.

EVERYTHING I have read tells us to do what is stated above as a matter of safety. But then again, I am a tourist, not a racer.

What's safe? Stuffing yourself against the curb so people can pass within inches of your shoulder? Me thinks not. I'm all about being safe, polite, patient, etc. Tourist or racer dosen't matter, the roads are the same.

I follow Title 28, and that allows me in certain situations to ride two abreast; I fully take advantage of that. I'll also pull over if traffic is stacking up behind me on a stretch of road. It's not always black and white, but I WILL NOT be strong armed by impatient self righteous drivers.

mud 07-27-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfr700 (Post 16492754)
What's safe? Stuffing yourself against the curb so people can pass within inches of your shoulder? Me thinks not. I'm all about being safe, polite, patient, etc. Tourist or racer dosen't matter, the roads are the same.

I follow Title 28, and that allows me in certain situations to ride two abreast; I fully take advantage of that. I'll also pull over if traffic is stacking up behind me on a stretch of road. It's not always black and white, but I WILL NOT be strong armed by impatient self righteous drivers.

Dude, I quoted you because I agree with you.

I am going back to lurking, I can never get my point across in this place......:huh

ducnut 07-27-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 16492980)
I am going back to lurking, I can never get my point across in this place......:huh

Ahhhh, don't do that. I like to think of this thread as something different from the rest of the forum. There's not the "attitude" here. :freaky

yater 07-27-2011 02:28 PM

There's nothing less intimidating than an angry cyclist. Spandex, walking like a duck, etc. I find it's easier to just be reasonable and move over when I can. If I need to take the lane, I give a wave and say thanks.

Mr Head 07-27-2011 02:50 PM

Cool, I'm up toward the end of the trail in Yorba Linda. I plan on riding to the beach both days if I can swing it.
I'll look soemthing like this:

http://mr-head.smugmug.com/Cycling/B...P1000325-L.jpg

I don't hear real well so if you see me you'll have to tap my shoulder. :lol3

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfr700 (Post 16492655)
Mr Head:
"What really chaps me are groups on the trail hauling ass and taking up both sides, pushing oncoming riders aside as they take their half out of my lane. :eek1

Sunday there were two groups of these fools decked out in "River Velo" gear. If you're going to ride real fast on a weekend high traffic path, get the hell off it and go ride the back streets."

Sounds like the river trail heading down to HB. I'll be in Costa Mesa this weekend, and usually hop on that (by South Coast Plaza) to start my Laguna Canyon loop.

Mr Head 07-27-2011 02:53 PM

+1:clap
Quote:

Originally Posted by yater (Post 16493229)
There's nothing less intimidating than an angry cyclist. Spandex, walking like a duck, etc. I find it's easier to just be reasonable and move over when I can. If I need to take the lane, I give a wave and say thanks.

vfr700 07-27-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 16492980)
Dude, I quoted you because I agree with you.

Sorry, I get spooled up with bike vs car issues.

yater 07-27-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfr700 (Post 16494003)
Sorry, I get spooled up with bike vs car issues.

Yet you expect motorists to be respectful?

Lewy 07-27-2011 06:55 PM

Its the middle of winter over here and I get days like this to ride.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0079.jpg

rbrsddn 07-27-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewy (Post 16495207)
Its the middle of winter over here and I get days like this to ride.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0079.jpg

Looks like it's not too hard to take! Here's a pic of mid winter over here...
http://p1.bikepics.com/2009/02/01/bi...57743-full.jpg
With the studded tires:D

Robert_C 07-28-2011 04:48 AM

I just got a new bicycle:
http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...4&d=1311651665

I went with a folder because I have about a month of traveling scheduled to start on the first of August and I don't like walking much. I am hoping that I will be able to bring this on the train with me.

The dealer threw in the bag at no extra cost, it is a Chinese market model, a Dragon D7. Total cost was about $308 after conversion to USD.

Ridge 07-28-2011 06:08 AM

The only rational explanation I have for riding two abreast is two-fold. If in a social ride, the group is most likely doing it to; 1, be social while riding and 2, be more visible to the driving public.

The second explanation is for racing teams riding two abreast. This group dynamic is riding for speed, efficiency and teamwork. When a race team is two abreast, they are more than likely in a rotating pace line that constantly changes. Whichever way the wind is coming from determines which line is moving up and which is moving back. The guy on point stays there just long enough to click one gear down and start moving back while the next rider moves in a smooth and singular motion into the lead spot. This rotation continues as long as the group is strong enough to hold it together, or while road and wind conditions dictate.

I spend a few hundred miles per week on my road bike and, as for singling up, I'm 50/50 on the notion. The disadvantage to cyclists is our relative size and mass to nearly everything else on the road. Cars and trucks are getting bigger with even more blind spots and electronic gadgets built into the dash for further attention diversion. Add cell phones, ipods, children, meals and all the other things that drivers pay attention to besides the road in front of them and I am even more inclined to occupy more of the lane than hugging the white line. I generally stay about 18 inches off the white line to make sure drivers have to physically move their vehicles into the next lane in order to pass. This makes them think a bit more on the room given and risk involved to them.

95% of auto and truck drivers give me plenty of room. Some even toot their horn and/or wave as they pass. Not that they are genuinely nice to cyclists... just that they recognize that there is another human occupying the lane and giving courtesy. I always try to wave in thanks when I notice a driver giving me more lane than usual, or waiting for me to pass while they sit at a stop sign.

A group singling up for passing cars can be just as hazardous, if not more so, than riding two abreast. When singling up, that group of riders doubles in length and adds a considerable amount of asphalt for drivers to make a clean pass. If the riders do not all hold their line well, this makes it even more precarious to passing vehicles. When riding two and three abreast, as most states laws allow, the only disadvantage to approaching cars is the speed at which the pack is moving. Drivers become impatient ( a sorely lost social necessity), and will try to pass unsafely. The danger of a passing auto is almost always in the hands of the driver making the pass. Whether it be passing a group of cyclists, slow moving farm equipment, scooter, horse rider... et al

Drivers just need to chill and exercise some patience on the roads. Everyone is in such a damn rush to get nowhere these days.

Gummee! 07-28-2011 06:25 AM

re 2 abreast on the roads: Have you ever tried to have a conversation over your shoulder? While moving? Not easy.

Last nite's ride was an out and back from Mt Zion church to the top of Moormont Rd and back. Group of us were dawdling when the group left AT SIX! So we ended up chasing. One of my teammates was effing with his shorts and dropped OTB so I went back for him. WE ended up chasing back on at 50kph to get back to the group doing 35-40kph.

So what does my buddy with the shorts do a little while later? Attacks!

Sticks, Alex and I go after. Sticks keeps going but Alex and I get to our respective limits and settle in to chase again. She and I caught up and went past the slower group we were chasing. I don't think I got more than 2 people off the front of the ride the whole way to the hill.

...and then only one person managed to get past me up the hill...

Too bad it was a girl! :bluduh

Ah well. I've been beaten by girls before. The ego can take it. :nod

Moormont is a strange climb. It goes up, then levels off, then goes up, then levels... Till the top where its just an SOB. I was standing in my 39x26 cause it was just a little too steep to turn the pedals over sitting. :eek1

Turned around to go down the hill and I caught Sandy. He'd turned back before me and was waiting for his wife. When we met her, we both turned around and rode back UP the freaking hill! Well, I did anyway. Sandy's wife had had enough and they turned back. I kept going with Laura, taking it much easier the second time. There are times when I wish I had a compact crankset... I'm thinking I'm gonna set up the Ti bike as the climbing bike. Compact cranks with a bigger cassette. We'll see.

I was supposed to go riding with Thor this AM. We were going to go do the Springs Rd loop out of Warrenton. That meant riding the hour to Warrenton, doing the 30mi loop, then riding home. After the way my legs felt last nite, I begged off of getting up at 0600 to ride from 0700 till 1100 or so. Next time. :nod

Its nice being able to have acceleration on a hill. 20# ago I was going full gas to just get up the darn things. Now I have reserves left if I have to go faster. :nod Nice feeling.

:ricky

M

Gummee! 07-28-2011 08:06 AM

Just in from 1:05 going 'around the block.' Good thing I didn't try to do the big ride this AM. My legs are toast. :nod

Underwater Hockey this PM.

M

Mr Head 07-28-2011 08:26 AM

I know the feeling, yesterday morning climbing the three flights of stairs to the office with my computer on my back, (the KLR of laptops:lol3, heavy, old tech, but cheap and only the simple stuff breaks.:huh), My legs were not amused. I'd take the next step and my brain would think we were going to just bounce up the next. legs said no go. We're done. We want to sit here and wait for a bus, elevator or maybe telecommute from the courtyard.:rofl

No riding for me yesterday, dinner on the beach at Crystal Cove with the family. :freaky
I walked from parking to the cafe/bar. Hiking in the worn out Discovery's was like adding lead to my already flat legs. Hiking back in the dark after dinner was uphill and tougher, but I got a decent workout out of it. :lol3
Hot tub ended the night late at 11, then up at 4:30 and in here.

Tonight I'll be back on the pedals. Plan is for an hour or so tonight and a light spin for an hour on Friday then Saturday morning a long ride. Sunday, I've been thinking about riding the mountain bike.

I'll be extra careful on the downhill sections if I do.:deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 16498525)
Just in from 1:05 going 'around the block.' Good thing I didn't try to do the big ride this AM. My legs are toast. :nod

Underwater Hockey this PM.

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:44 PM.