ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 12-02-2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiral
Only problem is when they stop making that one saddle that you love.

e bay

:nod

(Usually) Problem solved. Sometimes for more $$ than original! Ask me about my Pro Team Indurain saddle. :bluduh OR the 3 Campy Omega XL clincher rims I HAD to have. :baldy Or...

M

Zodiac 12-03-2006 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Flexible ain't necessarily the answer.

Coupla things that come to mind:
1. yer sittin and spinnin and not movin around enuff
2. saddle's too high
3. saddle's padding is wore out in the middle and/or its 'swaybacked' (my Flites all do this sooner or later)
4. this ain't the right saddle fer yer anatomy
5. the saddle's in NYC and it needs to be in CA :deal

I've found that when I'm JRA and not moving around, even my bits get numb after a while. Having the seat in the right spot makes it go away to a big extent, but its still there.

Trying different saddles may be the only option for finding one that works for yer anatomy. I KNOW that the Concor Light series don't work for me. I KNOW the Avocet O2Air40 don't work, I know the Flite series DOES work. Ditto with the Turbos and to a lesser extent the Rolls. Never tried a Regal. Always wanted to, but never wanted to fuck around with finding 'the spot' changing saddles allatime.

Perry, check with yer Dad. See what he's got in the inventory and start trying some things. You may find 'the one.' If/when you do, don't change it lessen you hafta! DAMHIK

M

Thanks G, guess I'll try a few out, try to move around a little more too.

Zodiac 12-03-2006 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
Buying a sadle for your bike is like buying speakers for your stereo. Everyone's body is different and you have to poke around a bit to find what's just right for YOU.

happy shopping... I have an OLD WTB saddle that looks like shit, but is so comfy on my bum that I wouldn't sell it for $100.

RW

:deal :thumb I have a WTB on my mtn bike, very comfy!

Gummee! 12-03-2006 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Thanks G, guess I'll try a few out, try to move around a little more too.

Sitting there just toodling along puts a lot of pressure on yer peritoneum. When yer going quickly, yer not sitting on the saddle as much 'cause the pressure from yer legs is lifting you ever so slightly.

SO... if yer toodling, standing up every 10min or so is a good thing. Let blood flow back into that spot.

M

achiral 12-03-2006 10:54 AM

I've got 7 of the same saddle, I think. And only 4 are on bikes. As soon as I found out they were discontinued, I went out and got a few more years stock.

Unfortunately, I end up bending rails every year or two mountain biking and have to retire one.

Quote:

e bay

:nod

(Usually) Problem solved. Sometimes for more $$ than original! Ask me about my Pro Team Indurain saddle. :bluduh OR the 3 Campy Omega XL clincher rims I HAD to have. :baldy Or...

M

Oznerol 12-03-2006 11:20 AM

Cold, weak, and out of shape

I haven't been riding nearly as many total miles for the last couple of months; The major reason for this is that my commute has gone from 80-100 miles per week to about 20. And cold weather and a new hobby (rock climbing) have cut down on my recreational rides.

So I decided I'd try to do a century today; It's only been a couple of months since I was doing 100-150 mile weeks, surely I couldn't have lost too much endurance, right? Got all my gear/goo/etc. together last night, checked out the bike, etc. Set the alarm clock for 7am, wanted to get on the road by 8.

This morning I rolled out of bed at 8:15 and didn't get on the bike until 9:30. After 15 miles, I knew the century wasn't happening; Even if my pace didn't slacken as I got tired (yeah, right), there was no way I'd be home at any kind of reasonable hour. And while the new wool jersey was doing a nice job of keeping my upper body warm and the tights were doing a good job on my legs, my toes and fingers were getting uncomfortably numb.

At this point I started bargaining with myself -- I'd alter my route a bit and shoot for 35 miles, get home early enough that I have time to make a big pot of soup for the week.

As soon as I changed direction, some sunlight started reaching my toes and fingers, and they started to feel better. The road smoothed out a bit and the scenery got nicer, and so I started renegotiating my goal upward. I ended up deciding I'd turn around and head home when I crossed the I-495 loop around Boston (my mental threshold for a "long" ride). That'd have me over 50 miles by the time I got back home.

I made that goal (53 miles total for the day), but it hurt. I couldn't maintain very good speed on the flats, and moderate climbs made me want to fold up and die. Sometimes I'd get up a good head of steam on a descent, but couldn't really hold on to that momentum to get me up the next rise.

Obviously I need to get out and ride more.

Gummee! 12-03-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiral
I've got 7 of the same saddle, I think. And only 4 are on bikes. As soon as I found out they were discontinued, I went out and got a few more years stock.

Unfortunately, I end up bending rails every year or two mountain biking and have to retire one.

Which seat?

:ear

M

Gummee! 12-03-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody
I haven't been riding nearly as many total miles for the last couple of months; The major reason for this is that my commute has gone from 80-100 miles per week to about 20. And cold weather and a new hobby (rock climbing) have cut down on my recreational rides.

So I decided I'd try to do a century today; It's only been a couple of months since I was doing 100-150 mile weeks, surely I couldn't have lost too much endurance, right? Got all my gear/goo/etc. together last night, checked out the bike, etc. Set the alarm clock for 7am, wanted to get on the road by 8.

This morning I rolled out of bed at 8:15 and didn't get on the bike until 9:30. After 15 miles, I knew the century wasn't happening; Even if my pace didn't slacken as I got tired (yeah, right), there was no way I'd be home at any kind of reasonable hour. And while the new wool jersey was doing a nice job of keeping my upper body warm and the tights were doing a good job on my legs, my toes and fingers were getting uncomfortably numb.

At this point I started bargaining with myself -- I'd alter my route a bit and shoot for 35 miles, get home early enough that I have time to make a big pot of soup for the week.

As soon as I changed direction, some sunlight started reaching my toes and fingers, and they started to feel better. The road smoothed out a bit and the scenery got nicer, and so I started renegotiating my goal upward. I ended up deciding I'd turn around and head home when I crossed the I-495 loop around Boston (my mental threshold for a "long" ride). That'd have me over 50 miles by the time I got back home.

I made that goal (53 miles total for the day), but it hurt. I couldn't maintain very good speed on the flats, and moderate climbs made me want to fold up and die. Sometimes I'd get up a good head of steam on a descent, but couldn't really hold on to that momentum to get me up the next rise.

Obviously I need to get out and ride more.

Makes two of us...

I don't think I could do a century at the moment. The Bonfante ride is still marked on the roads 'round here. I've been tempted to try and follow their route(s) to see how the ride was. Its been a 'roundtoit.'

I'm gonna hop on my bike here in a bit and take the long way to work. 90+ min of spinning along, working for 5 hours and spinning 40-ish min home. I weighed myself the other nite trying to figger out shipping on a Corbin saddle. 202! :eek1 'Course that was with jeans on, so I think I'm still under the magic 200# barrier I set for myself.

Went running last nite 'cause of that scale thing. :bluduh WHY IS IT that I can ride for a few hours, but 30min of running feels like an eternity? :ear

Off to :ricky

M

achiral 12-03-2006 02:06 PM

SI Flite TA. I liked the TA upgrade from the Flites back in '99? and switched over. Ti rails. Being over 180+lbs at race weight doesn't help, either. I envy the little people whose chins just come up to my saddle height and weigh 120 lbs.

Quote:

Which seat?

:ear

M

achiral 12-03-2006 02:10 PM

Running (and a nasty fall while bouldering that tweaked my hip and a subsequent mountaineering trip up to Alaska with a way too heavy pack) is what exacerbated the IT band. But I blame it mostly on the running.

I've got just enough light left to see if I can put in 40-50 miles before it gets dark - hopefully without pain. Outta here.

Quote:

Makes two of us...

I don't think I could do a century at the moment. The Bonfante ride is still marked on the roads 'round here. I've been tempted to try and follow their route(s) to see how the ride was. Its been a 'roundtoit.'

I'm gonna hop on my bike here in a bit and take the long way to work. 90+ min of spinning along, working for 5 hours and spinning 40-ish min home. I weighed myself the other nite trying to figger out shipping on a Corbin saddle. 202! :eek1 'Course that was with jeans on, so I think I'm still under the magic 200# barrier I set for myself.

Went running last nite 'cause of that scale thing. :bluduh WHY IS IT that I can ride for a few hours, but 30min of running feels like an eternity? :ear

Off to :ricky

M

/ 12-03-2006 02:51 PM

I got my first new bike ride in today. Brrrrrr and Ouch. Need a comfier seat and season appropriate clothing. Who's got advice?

Me: 5 8", 220 lbs,
Bike: Fuji Roubaix, 52 cm frame. (My first road bike)

I think my toes just thawed out. :D

/

Gummee! 12-03-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /
I got my first new bike ride in today. Brrrrrr and Ouch. Need a comfier seat and season appropriate clothing. Who's got advice?

Me: 5 8", 220 lbs,
Bike: Fuji Roubaix, 52 cm frame. (My first road bike)

I think my toes just thawed out. :D

/

:rubbinghandstogether

The seat's such a personal thing that I'm not gonna touch it. I will say that softer ain't better once you ride more'n about an hour or so. :nah Its the SHAPE of the seat that's important. (see above)

All righty then... clothing (guess what I'm doing for a living right now?)

What you wanna start with is a good base layer. Craft if you wanna afford it. I LOVE my pair of the warmer Craft base layers for winter riding. Keep you way warm with little bulk. Windproof fronts are not needed 'cause typically you'll have on a vest or jacket. I wore my mid-weight Craft stuff home tonite and was warm by the time I got home. (its in the low 50s/upper 40s right now) Nike also makes a good base. Ditto with D-Feet. LOVE their un-d-shirt when its warmer! Pearl Izumi has good stuff, but it ain't cycling specific in their cuts. I told em about that...

Then go with a decent jersey. The Kodiak Lite stuff from my employer is pretty good. The Team Jersey is a more appropriate weight if yer layering, but it also depends on how cold you are as a person. I have some older Tommaso stuff that still works that's mid-weight. Bright ass yellow. :nod :thumb

Vest or jacket. Depends on you as a person. Typically I'll stay with a vest and be fine, but YMMV. I sell a boatload of Zephyrr jackets and vests... Stay away from heavy stuff. If you gotta add fleece, do it with a windproof front/regular back and don't wear a vest/jacket. Too much insulation and you'll get colder from sweating than the outside air. DAMHIK

Feet. Toe booties or booties. Depends on how cold it is. I'll switch to full booties somewhere in the upper to mid 30s. Till then, I'm in toe booties. Calien Toes are pretty good. Ditto with the PBS stuff that wraps around yer foot and velcros to the back. (my PBS toe booties are still going strong after ~10 years :deal) I have some ancient Sidi booties that are way overkill, look ridiculous, but keep my feet toasty. Wool socks are key too. Insulating when they're wet (sweaty feet) is a good way to stay warmer. Lotsa people make the 'Lance length' socks buy some.

Hands: I've owned a pair of PI Pittards Therma Fleece gloves since the late 80s. Gone thru two pair... Warm without being overkill. When it gets really cold, I've got some Lobster Claw gloves. Gloves, like seats are one of the things that everyone's so different that I'm gonna leave this at this and move on to...

Headwear: you need to cover yer melon or you're GOING to get cold. 'Course this only applies when it gets farging :vardy out. Till then you need the heat sink ability of yer head. 90% or so of yer heat escapes thru yer melon... Keep it warm and dry and the body will follow. PI makes a Microsensor Skull Cap that's about to make its way into my collection... I have a Patagonia silk-weight balaclava that works well too. Ditto with my PBS polypro stuff that's about ancient as hell. Upside to balaclavas is that you can pull em over yer mouth when its blue cold. Downside is that every time you breathe out, yer glasses fog. :cry Alternatively, Luis Garneau still makes a waterproof helmet cover. I'd like to try one before I recommend them.

Personal favs: Assos Roubaix Bib Knickers Mmmmmm :tb Assos. WAY spendy and worth every fucking dime.

Craft base layers. Who better than Scandanavians to know about keeping warm in the winter?

Patagonia Capilene. Mid-weight works very well as an insulating layer when its cold. Again, spendy and worth it.

Wool jerseys. Don't get em wet or cowboys are gonna be in lust! The original hi-perf fabrics! :nod

Bib shorts. Keeps you from having a plumber's crack on the bike. :nod Listen to me now, hear me later! :nod

I miss anything?

M

Plan B 12-03-2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

The seat's such a personal thing that I'm not gonna touch it. I will say that softer ain't better once you ride more'n about an hour or so. :nah Its the SHAPE of the seat that's important. (see above)

Personal favs: Assos Roubaix Bib Knickers Mmmmmm :tb Assos. WAY spendy and worth every fucking dime.

Craft base layers. Who better than Scandanavians to know about keeping warm in the winter?

Patagonia Capilene. Mid-weight works very well as an insulating layer when its cold. Again, spendy and worth it.

Wool jerseys. Don't get em wet or cowboys are gonna be in lust! The original hi-perf fabrics! :nod

Bib shorts. Keeps you from having a plumber's crack on the bike. :nod Listen to me now, hear me later! :nod

I miss anything?

M

The man what he speaks of. Except for assos, I have all of the above and it's rock solid advice. I've had assos and it's the Shiz but I ride with team gear so I have no reasons to spring for it.

I went on a great one today up Bolinas Ridge in Marin County and I wish I wore my wool jersey just for the positive Cali Pagan earth vibe. Beautiful day, BFM (Big Fucking Moon) Coyote, ocean views, as stunning a location as you can imagine and great California weather (ie: shorts with bare legs, no gloves, no base just a long sleeve jersey)

Hey Gummee, what did I miss, where are ya working?

Did I mention I'm leaving Cali on Wednesday for the Freezer locker of the 'cross circuit and I forgot to pack anything of any kind for the legs? (That's not totally true; I have one silver team leg warmer and one red team knee warmer but that's almost worse than having nothing) We drive up to Vancouver in a couple days, fly to Rhode Island next week and a week after that I'm we're off to Belgium to photo Americans racing cross. I'm even taking my bike but......but: If I don't do something about my Cali based clothing collection in a hurry I'm going to freeze my ass off.

Leg Warmers/ Knee Warmers? Speak to me brotha?

Too bad we didn't get a chance to ride, I had a great time while I was here and I managed to slowly roll myself back into quasi-decent shape which beats the hell outta the place I was back in early fall.

/ 12-03-2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

What you wanna start with is a good base layer. Craft if you wanna afford it. I LOVE my pair of the warmer Craft base layers for winter riding. Keep you way warm with little bulk. Windproof fronts are not needed 'cause typically you'll have on a vest or jacket. I wore my mid-weight Craft stuff home tonite and was warm by the time I got home. (its in the low 50s/upper 40s right now) Nike also makes a good base. Ditto with D-Feet. LOVE their un-d-shirt when its warmer! Pearl Izumi has good stuff, but it ain't cycling specific in their cuts. I told em about that...

Then go with a decent jersey. The Kodiak Lite stuff from my employer is pretty good. The Team Jersey is a more appropriate weight if yer layering, but it also depends on how cold you are as a person. I have some older Tommaso stuff that still works that's mid-weight. Bright ass yellow. :nod :thumb

Vest or jacket. Depends on you as a person. Typically I'll stay with a vest and be fine, but YMMV. I sell a boatload of Zephyrr jackets and vests... Stay away from heavy stuff. If you gotta add fleece, do it with a windproof front/regular back and don't wear a vest/jacket. Too much insulation and you'll get colder from sweating than the outside air. DAMHIK

Feet. Toe booties or booties. Depends on how cold it is. I'll switch to full booties somewhere in the upper to mid 30s. Till then, I'm in toe booties. Calien Toes are pretty good. Ditto with the PBS stuff that wraps around yer foot and velcros to the back. (my PBS toe booties are still going strong after ~10 years :deal) I have some ancient Sidi booties that are way overkill, look ridiculous, but keep my feet toasty. Wool socks are key too. Insulating when they're wet (sweaty feet) is a good way to stay warmer. Lotsa people make the 'Lance length' socks buy some.

Hands: I've owned a pair of PI Pittards Therma Fleece gloves since the late 80s. Gone thru two pair... Warm without being overkill. When it gets really cold, I've got some Lobster Claw gloves. Gloves, like seats are one of the things that everyone's so different that I'm gonna leave this at this and move on to...

Headwear: you need to cover yer melon or you're GOING to get cold. 'Course this only applies when it gets farging :vardy out. Till then you need the heat sink ability of yer head. 90% or so of yer heat escapes thru yer melon... Keep it warm and dry and the body will follow. PI makes a Microsensor Skull Cap that's about to make its way into my collection... I have a Patagonia silk-weight balaclava that works well too. Ditto with my PBS polypro stuff that's about ancient as hell. Upside to balaclavas is that you can pull em over yer mouth when its blue cold. Downside is that every time you breathe out, yer glasses fog. :cry Alternatively, Luis Garneau still makes a waterproof helmet cover. I'd like to try one before I recommend them.

I miss anything?

M

Googling listed items to buy right now. Thanks. :clap

/

Gummee! 12-03-2006 11:36 PM

Hey Plan B,

I'm working at the Pearl Izumi outlet in Gilroy. Least till 2Jan07 and then I'm gonzo.

Flagstaff bound! :nod :thumb

I'm stocking up on the colder weather stuff I donated to my little brother when I left VA. :baldy Never figgered on needing it again and now I do! :bluduh

Oh well. At least my new stuff'll be 14 years newer! :thumb

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:59 AM.