ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

ThumperDRZ 09-22-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brton161 (Post 16910902)
........... Just have to justify the $2k for something without a motor! I would love to find a ride group around here too-having a tough time motivating buddies to ride mtb. They are all Jeep/Moto/Golf/Beer.

Once you ride that $2k bike - it will be justified. I bought the Giant Anthem 29er......and it rocks. I just got back from riding tonight - trails all to myself :thumb.....and I always wear knee guards. They do not hinder or bother me at all. When it's 95 degrees and humid they get warm when standing still. But I still wear them. They are the Kali Aazis Soft knee guards....they do have a plastic protector knee cup though.

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/kal...knee-pads.html

I did my first race a few Sundays ago. Only guy with knee guards....and baggy mtn bike shorts for that matter....oh yeah and with flat pedals too...:lol3 but I was midpack for the Beginner 30 - 49 age group. I was oldest at 48 so I don't think I did too bad. The other guy in the 40 group (he was 40) used to race and he only beat me by 3 1/2 minutes. But I sure was sucking air towards the end but what a blast.

I was getting lots of questions about the knee guards but then a few folks were telling me that they should really get some of those. Especially the few showing me their knee scars. I just told them it's a carry over from riding mc's which is also why I don't like my feet clipped in. :D

Gummee! 09-23-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ (Post 16915454)
I was getting lots of questions about the knee guards but then a few folks were telling me that they should really get some of those. Especially the few showing me their knee scars. I just told them it's a carry over from riding mc's which is also why I don't like my feet clipped in. :D

If you want to get faster and more efficient, you're gonna have to get over that last part. :nod Clipless lets you be one with the bike. ...and once you get used to getting in and out, they're pretty well transparent. Heck! I was wondering how to put em on the ATK!

AFA falling on the mtn bike: I don't remember the last time I hit my knee specifically. Its always my side(s). :dunno

Last nite's ride: Went to meet at Pearson Ele down in Calverton. I didn't want to go all the way down to Culpeper and Sandy didn't want to drive the whole way up to me. Calverton is in the middle...

So I get there and no Sandy.

:scratch

Wander over to a couple of teachers and asked if they'd seen anyone on a bike wearing yellow and green. 'oh yeah. I think he left and went that way. (pointing north where I just came from)

Hmmmm I AM a few minutes late. I can understand him taking off. So I hopped back on the bike and went back north. Had a great little spin back towards home. On the way, I caught up to this guy and his obviously n00b buddy. Said 'howdy' and sucked in behind em.

New guy was struggling to stay on the more experienced guy's wheel. Course, we WERE doing 38kph so I can understand that. :nod I stayed on n00b's wheel 'cause I knew if I was on the guy's wheel, we'd both walk away from the n00b (and I didn't want to put forth the effort to go that fast)

So I sucked wheel for the next few miles. :thumb Yay for sucking wheel. :clap

Peeled off when they stopped at Mayhugh's store and wandered back home. All told, I was out 2:33 or so. After the hammering of the last couple of days, I actually feel pretty darn good. I don't think I have a whole lot of juice left in my legs if I were to need to go fast. Good thing I'm not going to need to go fast till Sun. I *think* I'm going to be able to go racing Sun. Yay cross! I'll report back whatever happens. I just hope I don't pull a Joey...

M

ThumperDRZ 09-23-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 16918108)
If you want to get faster and more efficient, you're gonna have to get over that last part. :nod Clipless lets you be one with the bike. ...and once you get used to getting in and out, they're pretty well transparent. Heck! I was wondering how to put em on the ATK!

AFA falling on the mtn bike: I don't remember the last time I hit my knee specifically. Its always my side(s). :dunno

M

I do have the clipless setup and tried it......it made me apprehensive when hitting the big obstacles so I would pick the safe line....I really like going for it so it was back to flats. I also would get knee pain from my legs being locked in but had the cheaper Shimano pedals which probably minimized float. Running the Shimano AM40's with Forte Convert pedals. Stick like glue. And no knee pain. :thumb

Yep - I think I've only hit my knee once where the guards really paid off. But they still give me a sense of comfort. We ride a lot of rocky areas so I have to do what helps me enjoy the ride. :wink: If I was 20 years younger I would probably nix the guards and hit 4' drops.....but I'm not. I think! :lol3

pilot 09-23-2011 06:32 AM

I went back to flats last week after a ride on the single track. I could get out of the clips easy enough, it was getting back in that was the problem. My pedals are the cheapies, so that may be my problem. Is there a pedal that is easier to get into?

Gummee! 09-23-2011 06:35 AM

ATACs or Quartz pedals are probably some of the easiest I've tried to get in to. I had a couple of bikes with Crank Bros pedals on em in the garage last week. They've got bushings and not bearings in the inboard spot. I'd recommend staying away.

AFA the most float: by far Speedplay Frogs. If you want even more float than that, shave the bump stop off and make em like the first gen pedals aka Magnums

M

rthuey 09-23-2011 06:54 AM

hydraulics brakes. particular ones that i have, don't know if all are like this, have no reservoir like you would find on the handlebars of a motorcycle. what is the procedure for filling and bleeding?

Gummee! 09-23-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthuey (Post 16918608)
hydraulics brakes. particular ones that i have, don't know if all are like this, have no reservoir like you would find on the handlebars of a motorcycle. what is the procedure for filling and bleeding?

Google is your friend since we don't know which brakes you're running.

:nod

Oh, and they do have a reservoir, its just way small.

M

Mr Head 09-23-2011 08:02 AM

Got home about 15 minutes earlier than the day before. Still late, but went for a ride anyway. Big wind going oout. I could only manage 13 mph for the first 15 minutes or so, then after the hill down to the park where the path is protected by all the trees, I could finally get to 18 mph. Across the bridge and down the far side I slowed again.

A side note here: the bridge is wooden planks running cross-wise to travel. Bumpy of course. Every time I cross this thing my wheels feel lumpy for the next 50 yards or so. :huh
Then everything is smooth again.

Anyway on the far side still battling the head wind, a guy on a mtb frame with skinny wheels, mtb crank and small block out back middle ring and outside cog out back, comes by like I'm painted on the fence. I was just beginning to warm and loosen up. As he got out ahead by a good hundred meters or so I spun things up and caught pretty quickly. I sat in and rested at about 22 mph. He's running tri-bar horns on mtb flat bars. I rest up and his speed drops to a much more manageable 20, then just under. Along the straight I spin up and pass. I keep my speed to 22 mph or above for the next five minutes. I never hear him of course since he'd have to be on a blewie-piped Harley for me to hear him. So I'm closing in on my 5:30 turn around time at about 5:27 and he finally pulls around.
I'm pretty much done at this point. Steam is beginning to come out my ears, and the legs need a nice spin to recover for the climb home.
The next underpass after he passes I sit up and let him go. I'm satisfied I could chase and catch, pull through and hold the speed. I did only hold that speed to see how long I could.
Can't get faster or stronger by coasting. :wink:
So, I'm getting there, but I see this as a long road probably getting to real fun come next May or so.
I climbed the face to the house again, the wind was brutal though. Man, that just about stopped me once or twice. I was able to turn the middle ring over for longer and really get a light feeling pedal going for a good bit on the start of the hill. And I'm not dropping into the bottom of the gearbox anymore so progress. About 21 miles and nearly 16 mph average. On the way back, on my own I was able to stay at about 20 mph for around 4 miles.
Getting to an average of 20 mph really requires some horsepower. Once you get past 15 mph drag begins to take over and most of the energy we put into the pedals goes into overcoming aerodynamic drag. I think the exact number is closer to 18 mph and 80% or something. Getting form 12 to 15 is not much more than just regular time on the bike. 15 to 18 is more time and developing power and stamina. Making the jump to 20 or more is huge. I'm even more impressed with how I used to be able to ride when I was young.
I looked down at the speedometer last night on the climb, where I was really just surviving turning over the crank, and it showed 5 and a bit mph.
That needs to read 10 to be fast. :eek1
That is a good long ways off. My knees may not let me ever get to that, but nothing says I can't give it a go.:lol3

I worked hard enough to get my lungs huffing and puffing by the time I made the turn onto flatter ground. More of that will get me closer to pushing over the top of the hill more times during a month too.

ducnut 09-23-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot (Post 16918483)
I went back to flats last week after a ride on the single track. I could get out of the clips easy enough, it was getting back in that was the problem. My pedals are the cheapies, so that may be my problem. Is there a pedal that is easier to get into?

Crank Brothers Candy or Speedplay Frogs, though the Frogs don't clear away mud as easily.

I have the Eggbeaters, too. But, they're much more difficult to get into and don't have the support of the Candy. Also, the platform of the Candy protects the retention wings, which is important in rocky areas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 16918497)
ATACs or Quartz pedals are probably some of the easiest I've tried to get in to. I had a couple of bikes with Crank Bros pedals on em in the garage last week. They've got bushings and not bearings in the inboard spot. I'd recommend staying away.

Those are the cheapest model they have. You gotta' get the level "3" or "11", as they're needle bearing inners with cartridge bearing outers.

mud 09-23-2011 08:33 AM

For those of you interested in clipless (not that there is anything wrong with that) for MTB. You may want to check out these. Don't know if they are officially out yet though.

Speedplay Syzr

I am more into these.:evil

SL AMP:clap

TheYeti 09-23-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot (Post 16918483)

I've got these on all my bikes,I like them because it has the flats side,if you can't get in them you can still pedal. set them loose and they'll give some float.

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nash...-NCL-ANGLE.jpg
Like Askel said Don't ask for advice here, when we get done with you,You'll be more confussed than before.
:lol3

ThumperDRZ 09-23-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 16919276)
For those of you interested in clipless (not that there is anything wrong with that) for MTB. You may want to check out these. Don't know if they are officially out yet though.

Speedplay Syzr

I am more into these.:evil

SL AMP:clap

Here's my pedals right now - paired up with AM40's with Vibram Sole......

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1586500_400936

fullmonte 09-23-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 16919065)
Getting to an average of 20 mph really requires some horsepower. Once you get past 15 mph drag begins to take over and most of the energy we put into the pedals goes into overcoming aerodynamic drag. I think the exact number is closer to 18 mph and 80% or something. Getting form 12 to 15 is not much more than just regular time on the bike. 15 to 18 is more time and developing power and stamina. Making the jump to 20 or more is huge.

You nailed it. The planets have to align just right to break the 20 barrier when you're riding solo. Pushing wind is not easy when you are doing all of it yourself. In a group ride setting, its possible if you can put in some hard work and not blow up. I felt extraordinarily strong last Tuesday and managed 18.9. The last 1 mile climb back to the house always has me huffing at 15-17. Kept it between 18-21 (in the big ring, which is a first)and still missed the 19mph avg by a whisker. One of these days I'll manage to eat optimally and catch the wind when its blowing in the "right" direction.:lol3

mud 09-23-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ (Post 16920537)
Here's my pedals right now - paired up with AM40's with Vibram Sole......

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1586500_400936

Those look nice!
I have been running Straightline pedals and 5.10 shoes for about a year. I really like the setup.
http://images.jensonusa.com/large/pe...00blk__916.jpg
http://www.ridesfo.net/wordpress/wp-..._retail_21.JPG

I don't run all the pegs in the SL's though.

Stratlanta 09-23-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 16920128)
Like Askel said Don't ask for advice here, when we get done with you,You'll be more confussed than before.
:lol3

Ha! Mission accomplished! :huh

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:26 PM.