ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 10-10-2011 08:01 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...75183741_n.jpg
See my shins? Damn stuff was DEEP!

M

Gummee! 10-10-2011 08:03 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...02660104_n.jpgTip toe-ing thru the muddy patch

M

Gummee! 10-10-2011 08:04 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...88512758_n.jpgWhy I wasn't riding this section

M

Mr Head 10-10-2011 08:49 PM

Gummee! there is nothing about that, that looks fun. :lol3

Mud, sweat and tears.:eek1

TheYeti 10-10-2011 08:49 PM

I wasn't riding this Section

It doesn't look like he was either.:lol3

pilot 10-11-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 17047457)
Gummee! there is nothing about that, that looks fun. :lol3

Mud, sweat and tears.:eek1

I'm with you, nothing fun there.

ducnut 10-11-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meathead (Post 17046497)
Against the advice of several of you here, I bought a rigid rear 29er mountain bike after all.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd post to thank you folks for the ongoing discussion that I've learned quite a bit from, and for the specific advice from those of you who offered it (regardless whether I followed your suggestion).

The important things are that you bought a bike and are riding it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodolguzzi (Post 17045388)
Not sure myself :lol3
Basically a mtn biker that's finding road riding and dirt roads/bike paths an interesting mix.

A CX bike is prolly exactly what i should have.
Not sure that i'm ready for drop bars or rim brakes.

I really enjoy disks, flat bars and...get ready...flat pedals!
Haven't clipped in yet...most likely won't anytime soon :D

Looking for a semi~light mtn flavored anykindaroad typebike :1drink
Thought crossifying a really good XC bike would be a good starting platform.

I don't know if you're partial to Trek/GF, but, they have the 7.5 FX Disc (~$1000). Though, double-check how much tire it'll handle. I find ~37mm tires are about perfect for dirt and gravel.

Here are some others. A quick search of most makers finds a flat-bar, road-ish, adventure bike in their lineups.
Jamis Coda Elite (Steel, which rides better than aluminum and ~$1000)
Specialized Source (It's pricey, but, has dynamo hub and lightset, hydraulic discs, fenders, etc at ~$2000)
Giant Seek (Alfine 8spd and ~$1300)
Surly Ogre (This might be right up your alley)
GT Traffic 1.0 (~$600)
Motebecane Cafe Latte (~$500 They have another option at ~$650)
Kona Dew Plus (~$650 Kona has several options up to ~$1150)
Felt Verza 2 (~$750)

IDK, look around at other manufacturers. There's a ton of stuff out there for less money for what you want to do, compared to a Superfly. Personally, for all the dirt, gravel, and pavement I've ridden, I've never wanted a suspension fork. There are many CX bikes coming out with discs. Also, riding on the brake hoods of a drop bar is very similar to the riding position of a flat bar. However, they'll never be as comfortable, on your hands, as a set of Ergon grips on a flat bar.

ducnut 10-11-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier (Post 17046810)
So how was your Mt bike ride today?

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...ican+antelope/

Joc

That tagline is such bullshit; "ambushed". The antelope was just running, like our deer do here. You can see where it tried to jump up out of the way. Again, just like our deer. If he was charging, you can bet he'd be hunkered down, head first into that rider. What's worse, is the rider saw it, pointed it out to the following rider, and didn't slow down. Dumbass!

Gummee! 10-11-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot (Post 17049098)
I'm with you, nothing fun there.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. :nah

It isn't for everybody. For those of that it IS for its lots of :ricky

Just got in from 3hrs of toodle. Met Thor down at Pearson Ele and wandered around till I got back. Its supposed to rain here 'soon' so I'm glad I got in the ride when I got in the ride.

M

Gummee! 10-11-2011 11:46 AM

More video

Not my race

In my race, I fell at 1:46 in the video then again at 1:52-ish. :bluduh

M

Meathead 10-11-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17046666)
Ride it till ya figger out what you do and don't like. Fix those issues with the next one.

No bike is perfect for everything in the pedal world any more than they are in the moto world. :nah

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17049684)
The important things are that you bought a bike and are riding it.

Ten fo'.

Sooo, having spent some time traveling on mc's and quite a bit in my truck, both with GPS units at hand, I've grown accustomed to having a GPS in front of me, tracking my progress both on a map and with trip odo's, etc. I'll also admit to being a big fan of Garmin, which is to acknowledge I really haven't shopped any other brands yet. As far as I can tell, the only mapping GPS is the now discontinued Edge 705 - the rest are simply trip computers and heart-rate, cadence, etc. displays. Is that right? Does anyone have any input or insight on or as to why it's stupid of me to want that?

pilot 10-11-2011 12:53 PM

I just use my Nuvi 550 on a ram mount on my handle bars. I didn't have the ball mounted tight enough on the bars this last weekend, though. I ended up sticking it in my pocket. It still worked, just had to stop, pull it out and look at it. Mainly, I used it to record the ride.

Anyone know how to load the tracks to my mac?

Hakatan 10-11-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot (Post 17052139)
I just use my Nuvi 550 on a ram mount on my handle bars.

Another option Meathead -- if you're carrying a smart phone anyway and just want a GPS to track your progress (as opposed to use it for routing during your ride) -- would be to download a free app like "my tracks" I've found it perfect on my Droid for recording my average and max speed/distance/elevation gain etc. on local mountain bike rides.

After your ride you can view your track in GoogleEarth, share it, save it, etc. It's a bit of a battery hog, so I wouldn't recommend it for an all day m/c ride...but for a couple hour mountain bike ride it's been perfect for me.

For turn-by-turn directions, I've had some success using the GoogleMaps feature on my phone with the volume turned up and the phone sitting in a rear pocket. I bet there are handlebar mounts too, but I'm too cheap for that :lol3 I can't pre-load a track onto it like on my 60Cx, but my bicycle rides usually aren't so ambitious that I cannot remember the few turns required -- and GoogleMaps will auto re-calculate the route too.

Have fun.

2whl-hoop 10-11-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17047104)

Add me to the "no thanks" group. It looks like you're running across a freshly plowed field carrying a bicycle :huh.
I know cycling usually includes an element of suffering that we actually look for, but throw in mud/cold and I'd rather stay home....:D

Gummee! 10-11-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakatan (Post 17053336)
Another option Meathead -- if you're carrying a smart phone anyway and just want a GPS to track your progress (as opposed to use it for routing during your ride) -- would be to download a free app like "my tracks" I've found it perfect on my Droid for recording my average and max speed/distance/elevation gain etc. on local mountain bike rides.

After your ride you can view your track in GoogleEarth, share it, save it, etc. It's a bit of a battery hog, so I wouldn't recommend it for an all day m/c ride...but for a couple hour mountain bike ride it's been perfect for me.

For turn-by-turn directions, I've had some success using the GoogleMaps feature on my phone with the volume turned up and the phone sitting in a rear pocket. I bet there are handlebar mounts too, but I'm too cheap for that :lol3 I can't pre-load a track onto it like on my 60Cx, but my bicycle rides usually aren't so ambitious that I cannot remember the few turns required -- and GoogleMaps will auto re-calculate the route too.

Have fun.

I'll second the Google maps on an android. Works for most of what a GPS does.

If you want to get fancy, the Garmin 800 computer is slick. Has turn by turn, as well as ANT+ which is what the HR monitors and power meters use to talk to their computers. Spendy tho. I'd bet that you could figger out a way to get it mounted on a moto if you wanted to. Small, light, doesn't eat batteries *too* quickly.

If you just have mapmyride installed on your smart phone, it won't give you turn by turn, but it'll download to your computer later and you can see hills, turns, etc. Upload to strava and 'race' your neighbors. :rolleyes

I usually know WhereTF I am and WhereTF I'm going, so its somewhat less important for me. I just have a Cateye Strada on the bike and awaaaay I go!

AFA 'running across a muddy field' That was a creek in the preview video. A day of racing thru it turned it into a quagmire almost knee deep in spots. :eek1 It was in the 70s Sunday. Great weather to romp thru the mud! :ricky It was cold, damp, and nasty the weekend before. Even more mud then! Great for racing in. Sucked misery goats to spectate in.

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:35 AM.