ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

scorpion 12-10-2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
As far as parts go, one of these:
http://www.somafab.com/dcrossblkbike.JPG
is a better bet.

ANYone can work on/get parts for cantilever brakes. Not too many people have long reach road brakes laying around...

'Sides, if the bug ever DOES hit, you've got a cross bike to race on! :evil

M

Thanks, I didnt' think about that.
My LBS just started selling Soma.
I definitely want to set it up with the whole sti thing and a compact front crank.

Frankly the only racing it will see is to the pub to beat last call

scorpion 12-10-2006 05:06 PM

I rode my cannondale to the Cycleworld show on sat. 45 miles one way and rode the train back. Got a bit of a headwind riding along the coast nice day for a ride.

I found two things, one that I need to get more a road frame geometry bike for the city traffic rides.
And although I can hold up the 07 GSA just fine on the show floor, I figured it's not going to fly once I add a full tank, panniers w/gear and a passenger.
:cry

SIXFIDDYTHUMPA 12-10-2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scary Mc
Fucking QBP, 150.00 minimum chaps my ass. God bless them and their pro-deal policy though.:deal :evil

If you are looking to do an EP and don't have $150, either ask around the shop to see if anyone else needs anything and lump it into a larger order or dump your items in with your weekly shop order and square up with the shop. Now, if it's a $150 minimum because of your shops average order size, that is another ball of wax, but really that is enforced for a very small portion of the customers. Either way, send me a PM and we'll get 'cha squared away. :clap

Gummee! 12-10-2006 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIXFIDDYTHUMPA
If you are looking to do an EP and don't have $150, either ask around the shop to see if anyone else needs anything and lump it into a larger order or dump your items in with your weekly shop order and square up with the shop. Now, if it's a $150 minimum because of your shops average order size, that is another ball of wax, but really that is enforced for a very small portion of the customers. Either way, send me a PM and we'll get 'cha squared away. :clap

What I REALLY really want is EP on a Specialized Tarmac SL. :tb

See em allatime on the lunch ride and can't fucking buy one! :baldy I'm not workin in a Specialized dealer, so I can't get one EP. :bluduh Fucking Specialized. :umph Too bad their bikes fit me so well.

M

Gummee! 12-10-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion
Thanks, I didnt' think about that.
My LBS just started selling Soma.
I definitely want to set it up with the whole sti thing and a compact front crank.

Frankly the only racing it will see is to the pub to beat last call

Need parts? I've got a boatload of stuff...
:deal

:evil

:ear

M

Omi 12-10-2006 08:20 PM

I sold my Monty B-219 trials bike today. :cry I just wasen't using it anymore. On the plus side, I got an old Schwinn Tempo w full shimano 105 for next to nothing. Gonna make it into a fixed gear.

Omi 12-10-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarvis
Took advantage of the nice weather to go for a ride this afternoon.

Hit four bridges... down the canal path to Chain Bridge, rode the hills of Military Rd., over the Key Bridge, through the Xmas taffic of Georgetown, over the Memorial Bridge (if you look closely, you can spot the eternal flame), back over the 14th St. Bridge, a little spin around Haines Point and home.

:D

Woo-hoo!


(:norton )

Nice! It was a good day for it.

/ 12-10-2006 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Need parts? I've got a boatload of stuff...
:deal

:evil

:ear

M

Why don't you list them? :ear

/

pierce 12-11-2006 01:02 AM

eeeek. fresh off the wires.



Bicyclist shot in Richmond
By Scott Marshall
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

A bicyclist was shot in the face Sunday afternoon, according to Richmond police.

The 3:35 p.m. shooting occurred in the 100 block of South 3rd Street, police said.

The victim, an adult male, was riding southbound on the street when someone in a newer red Toyota fired a .45-caliber weapon at him, according to police.

The victim was struck once and taken to a hospital where he was in good condition, police said.

Gummee! 12-11-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /
Why don't you list them? :ear

/

'cause its kind of a misc list o' stuff...

BBs from various years
Cranksets "
Headsets "
Seats "
LOTS of misc canti brakes!

etc.

Easier for me to figger out what I DON'T have vs. what I do. :confused

M

Fidget 12-12-2006 10:17 AM

Looking to do some 1/2 triathalons in the spring. I own two mtn bikes and would like some advice on a good first road bike for 10 mile sprints. Or, it's only 10 miles, put the city slickers on and just do it.

memphisslim 12-12-2006 11:54 AM

looking for a good around town bike. something cheap. upright riding position. wide seat any ideas?:ear

pierce 12-12-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphisslim
looking for a good around town bike. something cheap. upright riding position. wide seat any ideas?:ear

a 'city bike' / 'crossover', like the Specialized Expedition.

or a homebrew-from-scrounged-junk, like my ol' cruiser...
http://www.hogranch.com/digi-2005/20...s/IMG_0483.JPG
on which I spent more on the paintjob than I did on the whole bike...

these days (that bike was built in the late 70s!), I'd suggest scoring a OK condition 90s hard tail mountain bike, ideally one without even suspension forks, and put 26x1.5" slicks on it. make sure the chain ring is straight, replace the seat, chain, possibly new (or cleaner used) wheels if the original ones are too crappy. replace the shifter, brake pads, and brake cables, and you're probably good to go. :deal


btw, let me suggest you do NOT want 'totally' upright, you want at least a slight lean forward, as you want your weight distributed equally on your legs, arms, and butt for best comfort. pedalling with your back ramrod straight is horrible.

Zodiac 12-12-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
a 'city bike' / 'crossover', like the Specialized Expedition.

or a homebrew-from-scrounged-junk, like my ol' cruiser...
http://www.hogranch.com/digi-2005/20...s/IMG_0483.JPG
on which I spent more on the paintjob than I did on the whole bike...

these days (that bike was built in the late 70s!), I'd suggest scoring a OK condition 90s hard tail mountain bike, ideally one without even suspension forks, and put 26x1.5" slicks on it. make sure the chain ring is straight, replace the seat, chain, possibly new (or cleaner used) wheels if the original ones are too crappy. replace the shifter, brake pads, and brake cables, and you're probably good to go. :deal


btw, let me suggest you do NOT want 'totally' upright, you want at least a slight lean forward, as you want your weight distributed equally on your legs, arms, and butt for best comfort. pedalling with your back ramrod straight is horrible.


Well you ain't lanesplittin' with that thing...:lol3

pierce 12-12-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Well you ain't lanesplittin' with that thing...:lol3

nah, but it hops curbs quite nicely :ricky

actually, the bars aren't THAT wide. its a cruiser, I use it for puttzing across town, for riding with the kids on a bike trail, etc. I've since switched tires to 1.9" 'hemisphere' as those 1.5" 'tom slicks' were just a little too skinny and loose on gravel... bonus, the specialized hemispheres have their kevlar anti-thorn liner, which has worked so far. :deal


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014