ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mr Head 10-12-2011 07:13 AM

REI sell a case that is waterproof and touch screen friendly. I've been using a sandwich bag for my iPhone4.
I've tried several tracking applications,
On the Droid I had I used Sports Tracker Live. That cost $9.95/yr. Works pretty well.
On the iPhone I've used Map My Ride, free, and not that great for what I want.
Sports Tracker on the iPhone works fine, and I've used it mainly for running.
Recently I began using Strava, also free.
I like it the best so far. The map interface is pretty good.

Strava information:
Strava

It says it works as long as you have GPS signal.

Bag:

I thihk I like this one the best.
Bag

All the apps I've tried have pay services and extra gear you can buy to gather more data, cadence, heart rate monitors, power meters.
Since I'm cheap, I've stayed with the free stuff.
I monitor my resting pulse using a heart rate app, only the free part.
With the smartphone as long as I've had cell service I have good tracking.
When off in the weeds with no cell service, the smartphone is useless as a GPS, for tracking I don't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meathead (Post 17054647)
That's kinda what I was hoping to figure out. I found a site that has some surplus 705's, and was thinkin' I'd just buy that, but when I really started lookin', it didn't look like much. Thanks, 'nut (and everybody else who chimed in).

To be honest, I'm reluctant to use my phone in this capacity, 'cause if there's a single person on the planet who can catch a huge wad of mud or the day's only drop of rain in the one place that'll kill the phone, I'm that guy. I'd rather spend a coupla hundred on a bike-specific computer and avoid that debacle altogether.

I was thinkin' I'd like to have a power meter but, as noted, I've discovered they're seriously spendy. I think the speed, cadence, and heart rate monitor are gonna be plenty of info. Also as mentioned, I don't ride far enough to ever get to where I don't really know where I am anyway, so I'll just get over the compulsion to know my location with GPS-ish precision.

taki5 10-12-2011 08:09 AM

I have used the free Endomondo app while cycling with fairly good results, and i have a bluetooth HRM that connects with to my Android phone. I generally keep my phone in a zip lok bag in my seat pack, but I got drenched on the MS Ride I did about a month ago and my phone got fried. Having to shell out the insurance deductible on my phone was a little bittersweet and made me want a dedicated Garmin handlebar mount unit.

Jim Moore 10-12-2011 12:34 PM

How Do I Quantify Wind?

I've been doing intervals recently. I'll ride a mile at a time over 20 mph, and half miles over 22 mph. (Yeah, I'm slow.) That's all fine and good until the slightest puff of headwind stops me in my tracks. It really brings me down. I've been trying to come up with a way to quantify the effect of wind, so I can adjust my interval speed when I have a headwind, or tailwind for that matter. Is there a simple formula, like a 5 mph wind will cost you 1 mph of speed, or something like that?

Thanks,

Gummee! 10-12-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 17060242)
I've been doing intervals recently. I'll ride a mile at a time over 20 mph, and half miles over 22 mph. (Yeah, I'm slow.) That's all fine and good until the slightest puff of headwind stops me in my tracks. It really brings me down. I've been trying to come up with a way to quantify the effect of wind, so I can adjust my interval speed when I have a headwind, or tailwind for that matter. Is there a simple formula, like a 5 mph wind will cost you 1 mph of speed, or something like that?

Thanks,

Tip 1: its about the effort, not about the speed. 2. get a power meter

If you don't have a power meter or HR monitor or other device to quantify your efforts (I don't either) you need to make it so that you're going X hard. I use a 1-10 scale. Say I want to go 10sec all out, well, for that 10sec you'd better be doing 10-level efforts! The longer you go, the lower that intensity level is. 3-5min efforts are somewhere around 80-90% of max. 10-20min efforts are less than that. etc.

The nice thing about power meters is you can decide I want to do 300w for X min. You know immediately if you fall below 300w. Without, you're guessing. I still guess. I'm waiting for cleat-based power so I can use the same pair of shoes across my fleet of bikes.

M

TheYeti 10-12-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meathead (Post 17046497)
After months of stewing and at least two false starts, I finally did go buy a bike. Even better, actually, my girlfriend and I both got bikes, and we've been on a coupla rides together already.

In the short term, the vast majority of my riding will be on paved "Rails to Trails" routes near my home, while I rehab my leg. In the long term, however, and what I chose to optimize the bike choice for, was riding the same fire service roads that I always enjoyed riding the KTM(s) on. Against the advice of several of you here, I bought a rigid rear 29er mountain bike after all.

So far, I'm having a great time riding - rode 21.2 miles on the Silver Comet Trail this morning, the last 3-4 of those being perhaps a bit too much. I'll know better how badly I overdid it tomorrow or Wednesday. I do expect to do a couple of rides of at least that distance per week, increasing as my strength and endurance improve, and hopefully helping this mangled leg regain some strength.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd post to thank you folks for the ongoing discussion that I've learned quite a bit from, and for the specific advice from those of you who offered it (regardless whether I followed your suggestion).

Hey Meat how did you heal up from that crash you had, what was it last year.

TheYeti 10-12-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17051600)
More video

Not my race

In my race, I fell at 1:46 in the video then again at 1:52-ish. :bluduh

M

Loved the video dude, Thanks For sharing. Did that sound too girly?

TheYeti 10-12-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 17054261)
another GPS option would be the 60CSx or cousins.

Or the newer one the 62cxs.

TheYeti 10-12-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17054312)
The 705 ain't all that. It won't show any road less than a county road, meaning the road has a numeric marker. I ride a lot of gravel and dirt. Those roads don't show and the Garmin doesn't learn them. I'd never buy another. IDK if the 800 is better. Oh yeah, the search function (restaurants, gas, etc) sucks.

+1 on that I went on a trip this year and used my gazzater (sp) more ,because it showed all the roads ,no matter how small

TheYeti 10-12-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17054816)
Shove the 276c in your back pocket...

AFA the rest? I can send you a computer that only tells time. ...and then it resets at 59:59! Don't need all that fancy-assed shit.

If you can talk and its a hard day, go harder. If you can't talk and its an easy day slow yer ass down. Easy.

M

:rofl:lol3 I'm loving that True that. if you're talking you're not riding hard enough.

Mr Head 10-13-2011 05:49 AM

Here
Scan down the page to the drag part.

Even better:
Better

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 17060242)

Thanks,

Mr Head 10-13-2011 05:57 AM

Went out for an hour last night. Nobody to draft and it was hot. Like over 100 at the house. We have Santa Ana winds beginning yesterday.
That brings hot dry air from the high desert. I was impressed at how this sucked the energy out of me.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/rides/1954784/embed/96f10b8e849e79b2bf780f0b652275cad017829b'></iframe>

Getting back up the hill was all I could manage by the time I got there. The slight headwind I had at times was enough to knock almost 5mph out of my speed.
Two nights ago I managed 22.5 mph average going past the park. Last night? 15. And that stretch is in the shade and noticeably cooler.
After I cooled down with my legs elevated, I went down to the kitchen and as I walked by the thermostat, noticed it said it was 82 downstairs. :eek1

So about 90 upstairs in the bedroom. I closed up the house and fired up the A/C. This was at 7 PM.

Gummee! 10-13-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 17064071)
Loved the video dude, Thanks For sharing. Did that sound too girly?

Not girly but mebbe a little :ymca

M

Gummee! 10-13-2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 17065245)
Went out for an hour last night. Nobody to draft and it was hot. Like over 100 at the house. We have Santa Ana winds beginning yesterday.
That brings hot dry air from the high desert. I was impressed at how this sucked the energy out of me.

<iframe allowtransparency="true" src="http://app.strava.com/rides/1954784/embed/96f10b8e849e79b2bf780f0b652275cad017829b" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="405" width="590"></iframe>

Getting back up the hill was all I could manage by the time I got there. The slight headwind I had at times was enough to knock almost 5mph out of my speed.
Two nights ago I managed 22.5 mph average going past the park. Last night? 15. And that stretch is in the shade and noticeably cooler.
After I cooled down with my legs elevated, I went down to the kitchen and as I walked by the thermostat, noticed it said it was 82 downstairs. :eek1

So about 90 upstairs in the bedroom. I closed up the house and fired up the A/C. This was at 7 PM.

Santa Anas are a real bitch aren't they?! Whey they were blowing it was about the only time I *needed* AC in my condo. Too bad it didn't have any!

...but that only happened a couple of times per year 3mi from the coast. :nod

Cross practice got called on account of rain. Pussies! Waaaa 'I don't want to get my bike dirty...' Not that I can say much, cause I took the day off too! I looked at my training plan and I've ridden 3 hrs of the 5.5hrs I'm supposed to ride this week. :eek1 Oops! So I'll wait for the PM here and go for an hour toodle. Go for another hour or so tomorrow and call it good. I've decided no racing for me this weekend. :nah I'll go wrench and drink beer instead. :thumb

M

Mr Head 10-13-2011 08:16 AM

This Santa Ana wasn't that bad. Back when we had the "fire" we had a 78mph tailwind to the beach. I hit 38 mph on flat ground on my mountain bike!
When it came time for Paul and I to try and ride back to the Pond, that was brutal. That one was not only hot, but smokey to the point that the sky was nearly black. By the time we got to the bar across from the Pond we could barely breathe. :huh

Last night wasn't anywhere near that bad. Just about a 15 mph hot, dry breeze. sucked the energy right out of me. I drained both bottles in that hour. If the temps are in the low to mid 70's, I normally only use about half that.

Meathead 10-13-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 17064026)
Hey Meat how did you heal up from that crash you had, what was it last year.

It was October 24 last year, so yeah, almost exactly a year ago. There's a thread about it here - gets interesting around post #429. I went through a month of that bs to stretch my femur back out, but I'm certain now that something got f'ed when they pulled that contraption off my leg - the banged up one is still noticeably shorter than the good one.

Unfortunately, I don't have a window of opportunity to be laid up right now, like I did earlier this year when that thing was on. I'm probably just gonna have to live with it as is for a year or so.

Luckily, while I'm on the new bike, there's no indication whatsoever that I've got that problem. The leg's still considerably weaker than the other, but there's no pain at all. I think I'd be having fun anyway, but because of that, I'm really enjoying this pedaling bit - it's a kind of escape from the constant reminder of what that douchebag did to me.

Sooo, on that bicycling note, I went for a ride right at daylight this morning on the Silver Comet Trail. I didn't go quite as far as I did on Monday, 'cause I had to get back and get some things done. How pathetic is a 13.1 mile ride at 13.3 mph average? There's just shy of a mile of gravel road in there, but it couldn't have affected the average much at all.

My leg's still too weak to stand in the pedals, so I have to stay in the seat and crank away. I'm sure I'll improve a good bit over the next couple months, but until I can stand in the pedals to power up a grade, I'm sure there's a threshold there somewhere that I'll never break.

For what it's worth, I'm really not concerned about the speed or the distance. I kept the cadence between 60 and 70 for the entire ride, and my heart rate stayed above 140, below 170 ('cept for a brief "sprint" at the finish - still below 180). One of you fitness gurus tell me what'cha think about that, please..? Is that a good pace? It felt like all I could do without getting behind the curve.

Anyone?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:55 PM.