ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

TheYeti 10-15-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 17083160)
Duct tape works wonders, just line the inside of the tire with it. Not that it would have worked for that tear, but it might have been enough to get you home.... It is actually about the ONLY thing I use duct tape for.

You are NOT from the south, Duct tape will!!! fix anything.:lol3

Chisenhallw 10-16-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17070767)
Hey, I'm that guy! :ken

I'm done with the whole speed thing and just ride, now. BTW, the Silver Comet Trail, in its entirety, is on my bucket list.

I'd also recommend the Katy Trail. Lots of fun, and gorgeous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_Trail_State_Park

ducnut 10-16-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisenhallw (Post 17088591)
I'd also recommend the Katy Trail. Lots of fun, and gorgeous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_Trail_State_Park

Yeah, I think we're going to CC tour it, next year. I really want to start getting out there a bit, on bikes. If all goes well, I'm hoping to take off a few months, next year, and bicycle tour.

Gummee! 10-16-2011 06:52 PM

Duct tape.
Dollar bills
Gu wrappers
Big patches that came in old style patch kits
Mylar

Hell, shove damn near anything in there to get it to stay and ride out. :nod

I went to the UCI race up at Granogue outside Wilmington DE this weekend. I think I netted $50 for my time as a 'team mechanic.' :clap

Put $50 worth of mid-grade in on Fri out in Warrenton. Drove up there, drove around, and drove most of the way back on that $50. I probably coulda made it the whole way back if I hadn't hit nasty-assed traffic on 95S, then again on the Beltway, and yet again on the VA side of the Beltway at Rt 7.

Oh well.

Interesting weekend. Went mostly well for me as a mechanic. Some things I was getting blamed for I don't have any control over, some things I was getting blamed for I installed but was given the part. One botched handoff that wasn't my fault either (she tripped in the pits. Whoops!)

Its frustrating being the 'team mechanic' when I only see the bikes at the races. :nod I can't fix it right before your race. :nah If you want it fixed, I can take it home and bring it to you sometime during the week. If you don't want to do that... :rolleyes I don't wanna hear the bitching about stuff *I* didn't do and am not allowed to fix. :nono

Except for that chainring, the 2 bikes I'm most responsible for worked fine. :nod

So I didn't race this weekend. Had a case of the screwits. Turned out to be a pretty good thing cause the race I probably would have been doing had a HUGE crash in it that sent 2 guys to the hospital. Since I don't have any points AND I registered late, I would have been 'involved' in it. :eek1

DCCX next weekend. :clap back at it!

M

mgorman 10-16-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17090275)
Duct tape.
Dollar bills
Gu wrappers
Big patches that came in old style patch kits
Mylar

M

I carry a small knife with me everywhere when I moto or pedal. When you slice like that there is always some kind of road debris around. I've cut plastic pop bottles and milk cartons to make "boots" to repair tears like that. Just remember to remove them, after a couple hundred miles they fail from flexing resulting in another flat. I won't get into detail on how I know that. Wouldn't hurt to cut up a few pieces and keep them in your seat bag like I do

We used a $10 bill once but had to remove the tire to pay for our ice cream then put the change back in for the ride home :D

Gummee! 10-16-2011 07:34 PM

http://www.ecovelo.info/images/giant-ad-485.jpg
This is Giant's answer to GM's 'bikes suck' ad campaign. I like this one much better.

M

Dranrab Luap 10-17-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17090626)
This is Giant's answer to GM's 'bikes suck' ad campaign. I like this one much better.

M

A photo of the typical lardass truck driver standing next to the truck and a photo of a fit bicyclist next to the bike would have been perfect.

ducnut 10-17-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17090275)
Interesting weekend. Went mostly well for me as a mechanic. Some things I was getting blamed for I don't have any control over, some things I was getting blamed for I installed but was given the part. One botched handoff that wasn't my fault either (she tripped in the pits. Whoops!)

Its frustrating being the 'team mechanic' when I only see the bikes at the races. :nod I can't fix it right before your race. :nah If you want it fixed, I can take it home and bring it to you sometime during the week. If you don't want to do that... :rolleyes I don't wanna hear the bitching about stuff *I* didn't do and am not allowed to fix. :nono

They'd better watch it or they'll be looking for someone else to listen to their shit. :deal

Gummee! 10-17-2011 07:37 AM

Video from the Master's race that I was going to race

M

fullmonte 10-17-2011 12:36 PM

Sunday Group Ride

Rode 36miles at a 19.5 average yesterday afternoon. The fast (racer)group took off at mile 13 and they were gone. Those (six) of us in the medium speed group had a good ride at what felt like a decent pace though. I got spat out the back after my pull and caught them again at the shortcut. The worst part? Giant clouds of no see-em bugs on the return leg. If you happen to inhale while riding through one of these, you almost cough up a lung trying to get them out of your trachea. Learned that lesson last year. Yep, fall is definitely here.

Askel 10-18-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17090626)

M

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-n_AYzC2b0Q...%2Bgliding.jpg

HOT DAMN! 10-18-2011 09:11 AM

QUESTION

Large thread I just dug up and will begin to read and digest asap, but thought Iíd throw this question out in the meantime.

Looking for something fun to offset my gym workout regiment with and thought it would be nice to get back into riding bikes. Asked the wife if she might be interested in joining me and was met with an astounding yes.

So, what would you buy/recommend for an around town/bike path/single track in the $700 each range? I could be persuaded to spend more if the upside is warranted.

I was an accomplished BMX racer back in the day and know my way around a bike with a wrench very well. Could something better be built in this price range by myself (I donít care to get into lacing/truing wheels again, just assembling parts) or should I just get something complete?

TheYeti 10-18-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! (Post 17101853)
QUESTION

Large thread I just dug up and will begin to read and digest asap, but thought I’d throw this question out in the meantime.

Looking for something fun to offset my gym workout regiment with and thought it would be nice to get back into riding bikes. Asked the wife if she might be interested in joining me and was met with an astounding yes.

So, what would you buy/recommend for an around town/bike path/single track in the $700 each range? I could be persuaded to spend more if the upside is warranted.

I was an accomplished BMX racer back in the day and know my way around a bike with a wrench very well. Could something better be built in this price range by myself (I don’t care to get into lacing/truing wheels again, just assembling parts) or should I just get something complete?

Fittness bike Kona Dew about $400 .
low end mt Bike Specialized Hardrock Sport disc. $ 690.

Both bikes have 700c wheels the bike will roll more easily.

And NO your probably NOT going build something up your self for that kind of money.

We're probaby not the best place to get info. We will send you in all directions on bikes, many choices out there. Everybody has there OWN idea (opinion) of what they like. :lol3

Just find a local bike shop ,have them fit you on a bike you like and ride, ride and ride some more. :clap

GP640 10-18-2011 10:06 AM

Exactly the advice I used to give when I worked in a shop.
Unless you can get parts for free/peanuts, the total will be higher than an equivalent bike out of the box.

Just imagine trying to build a car or motorcycle from parts.

ducnut 10-18-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! (Post 17101853)

That looks like an excuse for three bikes each. :lol3

Take a look at post #21955 on pg. #1464.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:59 AM.