ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

mud 10-31-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 17195329)
I've got a set of bar-end shifters here I was going to put on my son's late 70s trek, but his has brazed-on downshifters, so putting cable stops down there would be a pain.. these bar end shifters are friction for the front, and either friction or 7-8 speed indexed for the rear. I think they are Shimano, I forget what part number or series ...

Why are these a pain. I realize they are kind of ugly, but they work good.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...een/cad3-2.jpg

Gummee! 10-31-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisenhallw (Post 17195291)
Dude, I would love to switch to brifters. But the hard part about converting to brifters are A) nobody's willing to come off of any* and B) the FD isn't indexed, it's still a tension shifter. I'd have to find an indexed FD, and then I'd...you get my drift. The drivetrain is still in good condition, but it sure would be nice to able to shift on my bars.

I already know I'd have to stretch the frame by 4mm to get a new sprocket on there. It's a columbus steel frame so I'm not worried about 4mm.

* -Or bar ends. Can't find those either.

Patience Grasshopper. Everything comes to those that wait. IOW Cl and ebay are your friends. Search craiglook or other nationwide search sites. :nod Winter is not the time to buy this kind of stuff. :nah Wait till spring when the 'upgrade bug' hits. :nod

Derailleurs just move the chain. Like Pierce said all the indexing is in the levers. I've successfully run front derailleurs of that vintage with both Shimano's and SRAM's shifters. In fact, I have an XTR front derailleur on my Crosshairs now. Not only is it vintage, its not even supposed to work with road shifters!

If you stick with Shimano STI you may not even have to buy a new rear derailleur. Go to SRAM and you will.

To change the subject: I went racing yesterday. Met all 4 of my goals* but still had a so-so race. The effort felt like 100% but the speed and placings told me a different story. :nod 21st out of 43 in the 4 field. :bluduh Wasn't as bad a course as my buddy Tony suggested it would be. :nah Yeah, there was some slick concrete that people went down on, but I didn't. Yeah, there were lots of curb to pavement transitions that people went down on but I didn't. ...and yeah, there was lots of mud in the 'infield.' My FMB tire sucks eggs in the mud. :baldy Gotta change that. :nod

I've decided that I shouldn't stay up till 0130 the nite before a race. I shouldn't take the day before a race off. (weather got me on Sat. It was 35-40-ish and raining/sleeting. Most of all, when its cold out, warm up on a trainer. :nod That last one means getting a more portable trainer. My Cateye is a great thing, but its big. Hard to haul around.

You wouldn't think that 30min of racing would make my legs this tired, but it did. :huh I'm going to go out for an easy hour here in a bit. Spin the legs out some.

M

*goals:
1. don't crash
2. don't get lapped
3. get a good start
4. beat Sandy

Chisenhallw 10-31-2011 07:47 AM

I bow before your wisdom, Gummee!

soyanarchisto 10-31-2011 10:46 AM

I have been using SPD pedals and cleats for 20 years or so and its killing my hardwood floors. I'm getting ready to refinish them so its time for a change.

What do you recommend for clipless pedal/shoe combos that are good for long-distance road riding and are wood-floor friendly?

Thanks

Gummee! 10-31-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyanarchisto (Post 17198227)
I have been using SPD pedals and cleats for 20 years or so and its killing my hardwood floors. I'm getting ready to refinish them so its time for a change.

What do you recommend for clipless pedal/shoe combos that are good for long-distance road riding and are wood-floor friendly?

Thanks

Look-style +road shoes

Pick one of many: D/A, Ultegra, Look, Ritchey, et al

Personally: I like D/A better than Looks, having had a few of each now.

M

soyanarchisto 10-31-2011 11:07 AM

And those wont leave indentations on wood floors?

A friend recommended eggbeaters but those look pretty frail to me. I'm pretty hard on my bike stuff since I ride year-around.

fullmonte 10-31-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyanarchisto (Post 17198392)

I'm pretty hard on my bike stuff since I ride year-around.

I wait until I'm outta the kitchen and off the hardwood floors before I put my bike shoes on.:deal It has worked well so far.:D

Gummee! 10-31-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

A friend recommended eggbeaters but those look pretty frail to me. I'm pretty hard on my bike stuff since I ride year-around.

plastic cleats

M

soyanarchisto 10-31-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullmonte (Post 17198505)
I wait until I'm outta the kitchen and off the hardwood floors before I put my bike shoes on.:deal It has worked well so far.:D

I'm kinda stupid and dont always remember to do that. Plus my office has hardwood floors and I dont want to have to take off my shoes outside.

Gummee! 10-31-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyanarchisto (Post 17198531)
I'm kinda stupid and dont always remember to do that. Plus my office has hardwood floors and I dont want to have to take off my shoes outside.

Link

M

soyanarchisto 10-31-2011 02:19 PM

Gummee is the man! THanks

CatfishRacing 10-31-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorguy (Post 17192912)
on road. Off road. Whatever. Nicest bicycle i have ever owned.

http://moots.com/our-bike/cross/psychlo-x/overview/

ssswwweeeeeettt!!!

ducnut 10-31-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Quote:

OK, I'm going Crank Brothers Candy 3. No covers needed. One can wear some really nice looking casual or MTB shoes (your taste may vary). I've been using Crank Brothers, the last couple years, on road and MTB. I've ridden many centuries on them, using the exact MTB shoe I linked and Candy 3's.

Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are not frail. They been around the MTB world, for several years. I have them on my MTB and have banged them on many rocks. They're barely marked. However, I prefer the platform of the Candy, to ease clipping in.

If you choose to go with Crank Brothers, be sure to get at least the level #3 pedals. The levels 1 and 2 have bushings on their inner sides and bearings on the outers. The 3's are full bearing.

Gummee! 10-31-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17201390)
If you choose to go with Crank Brothers, be sure to get at least the level #3 pedals. The levels 1 and 2 have bushings on their inner sides and bearings on the outers. The 3's are full bearing.

I'm responsible for maintaining a couple of pairs of older Crank Bros pedals with the bushings. :puke1

Feel like crap. Loose and rattly. My Time ATACs that are significantly older are much nicer.

I'm getting desperate: who's got a pair of 28h hubs? Dura Ace or XTR preferred.

M

pierce 10-31-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

mountain bike shoes with spd cleats. :deal

much much better to walk on when you get where your'e going.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:51 PM.