ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

mud 11-01-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 17202925)
mountain bike shoes with spd cleats. :deal

much much better to walk on when you get where your'e going.

^^^^^^^
:nod

ducnut 11-01-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17202276)
I'm responsible for maintaining a couple of pairs of older Crank Bros pedals with the bushings. :puke1

Feel like crap. Loose and rattly. My Time ATACs that are significantly older are much nicer.

Cheap CB pedals are a fraction of the Time ATAC price.

BTW, I tried ATACs, but, the CB's were easier to use. YMMV.

mud 11-01-2011 08:40 AM

Since we are talking clipless. I recently started using my clipless on my roadbike again.... So nice.

What is the opinion of Crankbrothers vs Speedplay?

I like the float of the SP's.

Mr Head 11-01-2011 09:53 AM

+1
http://mr-head.smugmug.com/Cycling/B...95_Grkbk-L.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 17202925)
mountain bike shoes with spd cleats. :deal

much much better to walk on when you get where your'e going.

ducnut 11-01-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 17205586)
Since we are talking clipless. I recently started using my clipless on my roadbike again.... So nice.

What is the opinion of Crankbrothers vs Speedplay?

I like the float of the SP's.

I have both. The CB's have float, just like the Speedplays. The CB's have a lower stack height and they're not as buttery smooth clipping in, but, are just as easy to use. Having used CB's, on my roadbike, for a couple thousand miles, I'm not going back to the Speedplays. If I were racing, the Speedplays, and the appropriate road shoe, make sense. Otherwise, the convenience of a recessed cleat makes the most sense for everyday or LD riding. As I've posted before, If you choose to try the CB's, go with the Candy, so that you have a platform, and at least level #3, to get a full bearing pedal. The level #11 pedals are just ridiculous in idea and price. As always, YMMV. :D

Gummee! 11-01-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 17206106)

Love the shark fin

:thumb

M

Mr Head 11-01-2011 02:24 PM

It fell off one time I was cleaning. I think it's in the top of the tool box now. The adhesive was a clear backer and dust. :lol3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17207961)
Love the shark fin

:thumb

M

taki5 11-02-2011 08:55 AM

Question...I am swapping parts from an old road bike to a used titanium frame I purchased at a bicycle swap meet....Do I need to "face and chase" the head tube and the bottom bracket eventhough the used titanium frame previously had a headset and bottom bracket installed? If it matters, the headset would be a Cane Creek IS type, and the bottom bracket is Ultegra 6500 era.

Gummee! 11-02-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taki5 (Post 17213627)
Question...I am swapping parts from an old road bike to a used titanium frame I purchased at a bicycle swap meet....Do I need to "face and chase" the head tube and the bottom bracket eventhough the used titanium frame previously had a headset and bottom bracket installed? If it matters, the headset would be a Cane Creek IS type, and the bottom bracket is Ultegra 6500 era.

I doubt it. Do it if you *really* wanna make sure.

Put it together. Ride. If you notice something funny, THEN do it.

My $.02

M

taki5 11-02-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17213645)
I doubt it. Do it if you *really* wanna make sure.

Put it together. Ride. If you notice something funny, THEN do it.

My $.02

M

sounds good to me. i gotta try and get the old bottom bracket off. i got the non drive side cup off, but nearly stripped my 20 point shimano specific bottom bracket socket trying to get the drive side off....i will probably just buy a new bottom bracket, they arent very expensive.

Gummee! 11-02-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taki5 (Post 17215794)
sounds good to me. i gotta try and get the old bottom bracket off. i got the non drive side cup off, but nearly stripped my 20 point shimano specific bottom bracket socket trying to get the drive side off....i will probably just buy a new bottom bracket, they arent very expensive.

You turning it the correct direction? One of em's backwards (and I always forget which!)

Oh, anti-seize is your friend. :nod Especially BBs in Ti frames. DAMHIK :bluduh

M

taki5 11-02-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17216276)
You turning it the correct direction? One of em's backwards (and I always forget which!)

Oh, anti-seize is your friend. :nod Especially BBs in Ti frames. DAMHIK :bluduh

M

As I was working on the BB, I switched the position of the frame from right side up, to right side down...and i think i got all turned around and may have started tightening instead of loosening. I will give it another try tonight.

ducnut 11-02-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17216276)

Loosen to the rear, just like pedals..

Yodagoat 11-02-2011 06:02 PM

Some night cycling and a wee dog.

Some night cycling and a wee dog.
I've got some films, pics and words on my blog here.

http://yodagoat.blogspot.com/2011/11/nightrider.html

Its all offroad stuff here in Scotland.

Feedback is welcome.

Cheers

Mike

Mercury264 11-02-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17217453)
Loosen to the rear, just like pedals..

Holy crap, that is SO simple to remember :huh

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:14 PM.