ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 10-22-2011 01:21 PM

Doing intervals after eating 'Thai spicy' Pad Thai is not recommended.

:nono

M

TheYeti 10-22-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17132509)
Doing intervals after eating 'Thai spicy' Pad Thai is not recommended.

:nono

M

It doesn't taste as good the second time.Been there done that. Mexican food, not good as training food either.

:lol3

VDirtTommy 10-22-2011 03:02 PM

1st time poster on this thread

I got back into road bike riding a couple years ago when the Tour of Missouri came through town. Rode about 800 last summer and then shut it down in heat of July. This year I started riding with a neighbor and one thing led to another and we did our first Century about a month ago in the Tour de Cape. After seeing the Strava app here, I logged our ride today in the Tour de Shawnee in Southern Illinois. The app says 66.1 miles at 14.8 avg. My cycle computer says 67.13 at 15.2. Pretty close I guess.

I tried to embed the link to the ride report in Strava. Any hints on how to do this? I tried it as a link and as a photo.

ducnut 10-22-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDirtTommy (Post 17132993)
I got back into road bike riding a couple years ago when the Tour of Missouri came through town.

The whole deal surrounding that race's discontinuation is absolute BS.

Quote:

This year I started riding with a neighbor and one thing led to another and we did our first Century about a month ago in the Tour de Cape. After seeing the Strava app here, I logged our ride today in the Tour de Shawnee in Southern Illinois. .

If you like riding southern IL and want to ride a rail-trail, take a look at the Tunnel Hill State Trail. You'll want to start at the southern end. Just know that parking at the Barkhausen Wetlands Center, in Cypress, is restricted to their business hours (gated lot). So, you'll need to park at the trailhead on Franklin Ave, just north of HWY 169, near Carnak, IL. As you get north of New Burnside, the trail starts to parallel RT 45, which is really busy and noisy. But, the southern end is as nice of a trail as I've ever ridden. Also, pay attention to food options, as there's not a lot along the way.

ThumperDRZ 10-23-2011 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17108856)
I've come in dead fucking last.

I've come in hours behind the last guy.

I've been beaten by little old ladies.

But I've never, ever DNFed a race- and that's something I fight hard to continue.

Still, I usually take preparation beforehand seriously enough and don't take chances with low tire pressures and iffy equipment so I've never even flatted during a race, much less had any sort of mechanical issue.

Still, I come loaded to the gills for any issue. Multitool, multiple tubes if anything over 25 miles, leatherman, zip ties, duct tape, tire levers, patches, and spare master link. On the single speed I'll also throw in a length of chain and an axle wrench/bottle opener (required equipment :lol3).

For air, I only carry a cheap frame mounted pump these days. It probably weighs the same as a couple of CO2 cartridges, and you're not completely screwed if one misfires. Plus my penchant for things like 29x2.55 tires kind of dictate it. That's like 2 CO2 cartridges just to get one of those suckers rideable. :D

Learned this from another inmate here - Another trick is to carry a small piece of milk carton plastic cut into the shape of the radius of the tire. If you cut a sidewall it can be inserted between the tube and the tire so the tube won't pop out when inflating. :thumb

TooTallRacing 10-23-2011 03:35 PM

Bike Seat Advice

I am planning on riding RAGBRAI next year on my mountain bike. After a 30 mile ride last weekend there is no doubt that a different seat is needed. I did a quick search and the gel seats look like what I need. Anyone have any experience with gel seats? Any other suggestions? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

CatfishRacing 10-23-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooTallRacing (Post 17139146)
I am planning on riding RAGBRAI next year on my mountain bike. After a 30 mile ride last weekend there is no doubt that a different seat is needed. I did a quick search and the gel seats look like what I need. Anyone have any experience with gel seats? Any other suggestions? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

To not answer your question.
Brooks B-17
Get it broken in before hand.

ducnut 10-23-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

I can't imagine doing that on a MTB. Be sure to swap to street rubber, as that'll really help efficiency. AFA seats go, I run a WTB Speed V Gel on my MTB and a Brooks B17 Imperial, soaked in neatsfoot oil, on my road bike. I'm just sitting thinking about RAGBRAI on a MTB. :eek1

Gummee! 10-23-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 17132756)
It doesn't taste as good the second time.Been there done that. Mexican food, not good as training food either.

:lol3

Add pizza and tuna sandwiches to the list of things 'not to eat before a race.' I'll add that my lower intestines were pissed at me this AM. That Thai spicy really did a number on my digestive tract. :bluduh In fact, its still a little upset 'down there.'

So I managed to hit most of my goals. Sorta. To recap: not get lapped, not crash, get a good start, beat my teammate. So I was WAY in front of my teammate, I was trying to latch onto the back of a big group 5-10sec in front of me, and I got a decent start.

Then with a lap and a half left in the race I managed to screw up a remount and the bike landed on the drive side. Dropped the chain. Saddle was crooked. Right shifter was off too. Got all that fixt and I got back on the bike and...

...chain is skipping! WTF?!

Evidently I landed smack dab on my derailleur hanger and bent it.

DNF :baldy

That's the last time I go to a race without both bikes there. :nod I thought about bringing the Crosshairs, but with the seatpost and saddle being new to the bike and no pedals installed, I left it home.

Won't make *that* particular mistake again. :nono

Its not like I was racing for a placing, but I *was* still racing. I got stuck in the very back of the pack so I knew I wasn't gonna win, place, or even get top 10-20. I DID want to do as well as I could and hammer as much as possible. That last bit I did in spades. I remember thinking 'I'm getting tired and sloppy, I'll start popping out with both feet for these barriers...' Then BAM!

The course was nothing too spectacular. Soft ground = power sucking = better have some oomph in your legs to get thru with any semblance of speed. I did for a bit, then realized that there wasn't anyone within 'striking distance' so started to back off a bit here and there.

In my warmup, my legs were feeling somewhat dead. Didn't want to put out power. Seems that adding 'Riders ready.... Go!' to the mix means that I can push past the nasties in my legs and hammer. :clap Hafta remember that for next time. (If you're wondering, Jens Voigt is my inspiration 'Shut up legs! Pedal!)

Had a barley pop, ate the sammich I brought with me, and fought traffic back thru DC so I didn't have to sit in beltway traffic. I don't know which was worse!

I'm beat. Is it nap time yet?!

M

Gummee! 10-23-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

I am planning on riding RAGBRAI next year on my mountain bike. After a 30 mile ride last weekend there is no doubt that a different seat is needed. I did a quick search and the gel seats look like what I need. Anyone have any experience with gel seats? Any other suggestions? <!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>

Yeah. Stay away from the gel seats. Softer IS NOT better. :nono

They get to squishing up into spots that don't want pressure on em and that gets worse.

Ride more. Ride in bicycle shorts. If you're riding in bike shorts now, get better shorts. They're not a cure-all, but they help.

M

TooTallRacing 10-23-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17139232)
I can't imagine doing that on a MTB. Be sure to swap to street rubber, as that'll really help efficiency. AFA seats go, I run a WTB Speed V Gel on my MTB and a Brooks B17 Imperial, soaked in neatsfoot oil, on my road bike. I'm just sitting thinking about RAGBRAI on a MTB. :eek1

Thanks for the tip. Kinda of new to the bicycle thing, why do you think it will be so tough on a MTB?

Mr Head 10-23-2011 07:00 PM

To Embed, you need to toggle the A/A in the upper right corner of this window, above that smiling star.
Then copy and paste the text from the "Share Ride" pull down using the "embed on Blog" option.

I like the Strava app the best of all I've tried.
Good deal getting a 100 in. I plan on a few of those on my own too.:thumb

Quote:

I got back into road bike riding a couple years ago when the Tour of Missouri came through town. Rode about 800 last summer and then shut it down in heat of July. This year I started riding with a neighbor and one thing led to another and we did our first Century about a month ago in the Tour de Cape. After seeing the Strava app here, I logged our ride today in the Tour de Shawnee in Southern Illinois. The app says 66.1 miles at 14.8 avg. My cycle computer says 67.13 at 15.2. Pretty close I guess.

I tried to embed the link to the ride report in Strava. Any hints on how to do this? I tried it as a link and as a photo.

Mr Head 10-23-2011 07:02 PM

I got my ride in on Saturday, then more chores.

Rode down to the LBS for a fit check. The seat swap thing, (softer original saddle. Not decided if I like it our not on the Roubiax. I liked it on the Rocky.

I rode down past the ball field to the rest area. Turned around and headed home. I was cruising along feeling my way when a tri-barred guy blows by, but not that fast. I spin up without shifting and catch. Sit in for a ride.
My tow truck looks back noticing the "force" I guess... :lol3 Actually shifts up and stands on the pedals to sprint. He was a tri-guy, not a sprinter, therefore I shifted and stayed on the saddle and spun right off his rear wheel, after he settled down to about 24 from his 27 mph sprint I coasted along for a bit, then my lungs decided to notify my brain that this was all the air there was but the legs were wanting more.
Nope, Mr Scott had nothing in the hyper-drive so we canned the fast nonsense for the day and the fast guy rode off into the day. Impressive riding, but give me another year and I think I can give guys like that a better run.

Anyway the fit was good, I was off in the fore and aft a little, about 2 mm too low, and we flipped the tapered spacer in the stem.
The bike fits really nice now. Still not sure I like the saddle, but I'll have to give it a few hundred miles.
While I was at the LBS Chris notice I'd squared off the rear tire again, and said I needed to be rotating the tired front to back every 500 miles. I didn't think I had that many miles on the tire and clicked the computer to the total mileage, 2,000 miles.
Wow!
I hadn't looked at the total for months and figured I was going to be doing well to hit 1,500 for the year. This is cool.:clap

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/rides/2065744/embed/3b4c0d7ed7b2b6a3853f304fc19881e9feaac9d9'></iframe>

TheYeti 10-23-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooTallRacing (Post 17139653)
Thanks for the tip. Kinda of new to the bicycle thing, why do you think it will be so tough on a MTB?

kinda depends on a bunch of things,
1.29er or 26 wheels
2.is it comforable to ride 5-6 hours for 10 days
3. tire width, something in a 1.4" slick,not a 2.5" hard pack dirt tire
4. hand positions,hands will get numb from lack of different positions. long barends would help,maybe 2 sets one set going up (forward) ,and one set going back similar to drop bars

The pace will be slower on a Mt bike,that may be more enjoyable.Also a mt bike may feel more planted than a skinny tire bike. all things to ponder.

Good luck.

ducnut 10-23-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooTallRacing (Post 17139653)

Lack of efficiency.

You can do it, as a lot of people tour on full rigid MTBs. But, they're built heavy, don't have speed and efficiency built into them, and the seating position is definitely not to your advantage. Head to a bike shop and test ride some stuff and you'll see the difference in efficiency. Don't ride a race bike, look for something that can handle at least 35mm tires and has a tall-ish headtube (over 160mm). I just think it'll be a real suffer-fest pedalling a MTB ~340 miles, over the course of a week.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:49 PM.