ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mr Head 10-23-2011 08:37 PM

Great idea. :freaky
Get that man a beer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ (Post 17136047)
Learned this from another inmate here - Another trick is to carry a small piece of milk carton plastic cut into the shape of the radius of the tire. If you cut a sidewall it can be inserted between the tube and the tire so the tube won't pop out when inflating. :thumb

Askel 10-24-2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooTallRacing (Post 17139653)
Thanks for the tip. Kinda of new to the bicycle thing, why do you think it will be so tough on a MTB?

Having racked up some serious miles on mountain bikes in recent years, I'd say it's not going to be as bad as some people think. But I'd definitely make sure RAGBRAI wasn't the first time you tried anything like that kind of distance.

And at least try a "proper" road bike so you know what it is that you're missing. (and not missing)

VDirtTommy 10-24-2011 08:51 AM

Strava App

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 17140723)
To Embed, you need to toggle the A/A in the upper right corner of this window, above that smiling star.
Then copy and paste the text from the "Share Ride" pull down using the "embed on Blog" option.

I like the Strava app the best of all I've tried.
Good deal getting a 100 in. I plan on a few of those on my own too.:thumb

Hmm, I have an A/A in the upper left corner that says "remove text formatting" when I scroll over it, but it doesn't change when I toggle it. When I copy and paste text from the "Share Ride" "embed on Blog" option, it posts here as a blank screen.

The Strava app is pretty cool. I wish I had known about it when I started training in June. I always carry my iPhone so I can get an emergency ride home if I breakdown and can't fix it roadside.

Thanks,

Tom

Mr Head 10-24-2011 09:07 AM

The Strava server was acting up yesterday. It took a while to get it to embed over here.
Put a smilie in the field if that turns to plain text then the formatting is removed. The background also usually turns white. I was seeing that delay yesterday as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDirtTommy (Post 17143839)
Hmm, I have an A/A in the upper left corner that says "remove text formatting" when I scroll over it, but it doesn't change when I toggle it. When I copy and paste text from the "Share Ride" "embed on Blog" option, it posts here as a blank screen.

The Strava app is pretty cool. I wish I had known about it when I started training in June. I always carry my iPhone so I can get an emergency ride home if I breakdown and can't fix it roadside.

Thanks,

Tom

VDirtTommy 10-24-2011 11:49 AM

Strava ride report

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/rides/2063831/embed/d605252224449c6801b69b37d9bd418491f5a9bc'></iframe>:D

Mr Head 10-24-2011 01:49 PM

And there you go.
Pretty cool tool.
Quote:

Originally Posted by VDirtTommy (Post 17145073)
<iframe allowtransparency="true" src="http://app.strava.com/rides/2063831/embed/d605252224449c6801b69b37d9bd418491f5a9bc" width="590" frameborder="0" height="405" scrolling="no"></iframe>:D

Spicy McHaggis 10-24-2011 02:30 PM

Good to see there's others out there still riding. I got so tired of riding the exact same stretch of road for my 2000+ miles this year, plus the shitty weather (called fall in the lower 48, we call it "all year round" up here) that I pretty much took all this month off from the bike.

REALLY looking forward to transferring next year back to the lower 48!!!

TheYeti 10-24-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17140873)
Lack of efficiency.

You can do it, as a lot of people tour on full rigid MTBs. But, they're built heavy, don't have speed and efficiency built into them, and the seating position is definitely not to your advantage. Head to a bike shop and test ride some stuff and you'll see the difference in efficiency. Don't ride a race bike, look for something that can handle at least 35mm tires and has a tall-ish headtube (over 160mm). I just think it'll be a real suffer-fest pedalling a MTB ~340 miles, over the course of a week.

Something like this,but without all the touring crap on it.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2117/...7f3796e537.jpg

TheYeti 10-24-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 17146218)
Good to see there's others out there still riding. I got so tired of riding the exact same stretch of road for my 2000+ miles this year, plus the shitty weather (called fall in the lower 48, we call it "all year round" up here) that I pretty much took all this month off from the bike.

REALLY looking forward to transferring next year back to the lower 48!!!

Don't tell me let me guess Coast Guard?

Garthe 10-24-2011 03:23 PM

Getting closer...

http://garthe.smugmug.com/Other/STEE...DSC02458-M.jpg

TooTallRacing 10-24-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17142539)
Having racked up some serious miles on mountain bikes in recent years, I'd say it's not going to be as bad as some people think. But I'd definitely make sure RAGBRAI wasn't the first time you tried anything like that kind of distance.

And at least try a "proper" road bike so you know what it is that you're missing. (and not missing)

Thanks for all the replies.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
At least for now I will be riding a 29er with full suspension. Hopefully with some setup it won't be too bad. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

GP640 10-24-2011 04:07 PM

If it's all you've got, ride it.

If you can find skinny road style rubber in 29 you'll probably do ok.

This summer I did a 75km road ride on my hardtail and it didn't suck too bad. I had slicks for it
and the only downfall was the cheap ass fork with no lockout. By the last hill I was cursing the
energy robbing squish with every pedal stroke.

My wife did the ride with me on an identical bike and now says proper road bikes are in our future.

TheYeti 10-24-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooTallRacing (Post 17146855)
Thanks for all the replies.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
At least for now I will be riding a 29er with full suspension. Hopefully with some setup it won't be too bad. <o:p></o:p>

29er will be fine the tire choice will be the issue.I've got contis Travel contact on the Surly LHT.Love em nice slick in center and knobs on the edges in case I want to go down a dirt/gravel road,if which there are many in this area.

You're gonna want a tire that rolls well,but is fairly stout. Something in a touring tire,flats are the last thing you want to have to deal with.

Spicy McHaggis 10-24-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 17146406)
Don't tell me let me guess Coast Guard?

Yup!

mud 10-24-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooTallRacing (Post 17146855)

Try and get some bar ends. One of the advantages to a road bike is the ability to move your positioning around as you ride. MTB's you are kind of stuck without bar ends or something similar.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:56 PM.