ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

zippy 11-30-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ_92606 (Post 17406214)
Strange...headsets usually exhibit issues gradually over time. Good reminder to check mine...which I do annually.

please excuse my improper terminology , it wasn't the race but the cage holding the ball bearings that was destroyed and rusted.
Emailed Santa Cruz got an immediate response and they are sending me a "peace offering". Hurray Santa Cruz ! :clap

zippy 11-30-2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17408561)
Might be worth a shot. You mention "swampy", do they not breath very well? Sometimes water from the inside is almost as bad as water from the outside.

Still, for $13.99, worth some experimentation. Thanks! :thumb

Goretex socks are also available . Not extremely thick and breathable.

been a long time since I played in the cold and snow. Mom used to have us put plastic bread bags over our socks prior to putting on boots. Low tech and NOT breathable.:lol3

Gummee! 11-30-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 17410950)
Goretex socks are also available . Not extremely thick and breathable.

been a long time since I played in the cold and snow. Mom used to have us put plastic bread bags over our socks prior to putting on boots. Low tech and NOT breathable.:lol3

Mtn biking in the winter, I wear a thin wool sock, Gore Tex socks (Cabela's), shoes, then a pair of toe booties. That does me OK for 90-ish min rides in the 20s-30s. Much longer than 90min and my feet do get cold.

For mtn biking, Gore Tex socks are great. Keep your feet dry despite having to slog thru an 'over the ankle' puddle that was iced over. Remind me to tell you the story one day. In person's much better

M

woolsocks 11-30-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 17405191)
Is that you?
We are getting off easy this year.... Very mellow weather!

Nope, not me. My bike got stolen off of my balcony in St. Paul, so no winter riding right now unless I get a new one. The thieves climbed up two stories and got my Bianchi CX bike. It was locked and everything too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17405467)
Good for you!

I run Nokian 240 tires, in the winter. And, they're incredible.

The two biggest problems we have is the plows do a terrible job on what roads they do plow and drifting. We have a 17 mile bike trail, but, the municipalities don't want to maintain it, because of cost. The lake department is nice enough to plow about 4 miles of it, but, beyond that, the drifts take over.

I had a Bianchi CX bike (see above) and I just used the stock tires that I used in the summer. I believe they were WTB All Terrainasaurus Tires.They had pretty aggressive tread. Fortunately, the trails here in the Twin Cities are plowed 95% of the time. The cold isn't that bad, it's when it warms up and the snow melts and forms ice under the bridges and on corners that really gets me. I've had a few bad crashes due to ice. I've actually heard several messengers and year round commuters say that they prefer thinner tires for winter biking as it cuts through the snow and reaches the pavement instead of floating on top of it...

mud 11-30-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolsocks (Post 17412572)
Nope, not me. My bike got stolen off of my balcony in St. Paul, so no winter riding right now unless I get a new one. The thieves climbed up two stories and got my Bianchi CX bike. It was locked and everything too...

I had a Bianchi CX bike (see above) and I just used the stock tires that I used in the summer. I believe they were WTB All Terrainasaurus Tires.They had pretty aggressive tread. Fortunately, the trails here in the Twin Cities are plowed 95% of the time. The cold isn't that bad, it's when it warms up and the snow melts and forms ice under the bridges and on corners that really gets me. I've had a few bad crashes due to ice. I've actually heard several messengers and year round commuters say that they prefer thinner tires for winter biking as it cuts through the snow and reaches the pavement instead of floating on top of it...

Sorry to hear that. Bummer.

Yeah, try riding a fat bike on icy slushy roads..... DEADLY. It is like someone kicks your front wheel out from under you. I have a few friends that thought fat bikes would be good for winter road riding, they sold them in the spring.

Studded tires are where it's at.:clap

woolsocks 12-01-2011 08:47 AM

Make studded winter tires for less than $5

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 17416370)
Sorry to hear that. Bummer.

Yeah, try riding a fat bike on icy slushy roads..... DEADLY. It is like someone kicks your front wheel out from under you. I have a few friends that thought fat bikes would be good for winter road riding, they sold them in the spring.

Studded tires are where it's at.:clap

http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dut...Snowpocalypse/

:wink:

Mr Head 12-01-2011 09:27 AM

Sweet idea.
I'm glad I'll never need it, but cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolsocks (Post 17420163)

EJ_92606 12-01-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 17410930)
please excuse my improper terminology , it wasn't the race but the cage holding the ball bearings that was destroyed and rusted.
Emailed Santa Cruz got an immediate response and they are sending me a "peace offering". Hurray Santa Cruz ! :clap

Which model bike do you have and how old is it? I just took the headset apart on my Santa Cruz Tallboy last night...Its a year old...there was still some grease in there and the bearings were still smooth but the upper one had a bunch of dirt/mud around the edge...so I cleaned them out and regreased...should be good for another year.

Chisenhallw 12-01-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17386452)
Anyone else still riding? :ear

:y0! Back in the saddle today!

RIDE TIME 1:36:48
DISTANCE 19.55 MILES
AVERAGE SPEED 12.12
FASTEST SPEED 29.57 MPH

Gummee! 12-01-2011 03:12 PM

All right guys, I'ma gonna need a bit of help here *soon.* I've heard rumors of a velodrome in Richmond (again) and I *know* there's one opening in South Carolina in the spring. That means...

Gummee! needs track parts! For starters, any of y'all have a low-flange rear track hub floating around? How about some Cinelli 64-40s? (aka Giro d' Italia)

Stay tuned to this thread for the further adventures of 'That idiot Gummee! that goes round and round in circles!'

Went out for 3hrs yesterday with some of the Van Dessel squad. Showed em around S and W of Warrenton. Today? Off. Tomorrow? Probably a cyclocross ride. Last race of the series is this weekend. It'd be a shame to miss that!

M

ducnut 12-01-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17422982)
For starters, any of y'all have a low-flange rear track hub floating around? How about some Cinelli 64-40s? (aka Giro d' Italia)

Did you try Velo Mine? What about that other place that Ben mentioned (Asia sumthinoranother)?

Gummee! 12-01-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 17423116)
Did you try Velo Mine? What about that other place that Ben mentioned (Asia sumthinoranother)?

EuroAsia? Them guys both want silly money for their stuff.

I guess if you really, really want NOS widgets, they're the game in town. That's not what I'm looking for budget-wise...

M

zippy 12-02-2011 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ_92606 (Post 17421350)
Which model bike do you have and how old is it? I just took the headset apart on my Santa Cruz Tallboy last night...Its a year old...there was still some grease in there and the bearings were still smooth but the upper one had a bunch of dirt/mud around the edge...so I cleaned them out and regreased...should be good for another year.

Mine is a Heckler purchased May this year. Have about a dozen rides on it. I love the bike ! We have sand sand and more sand so maybe that contributed to the headsets demise .? I will pay very close attention to the new headset, as I do not want to hike another 8+ miles pushing bike. The folks at Santa Cruz responded back to me almost immediately. They truely are not obligated to do anything for me so the peace offering is a plus. Customer service top notch for sure.

Lewy 12-02-2011 04:23 AM

I took the long way home from work today. 62kms versus 13kms for the short way.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/runs/2533497/embed/715c62a1267a2366d3d7b66f2737c9fbd792c3d3'></iframe>

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0272.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/IMAG0273.jpg

zippy 12-02-2011 09:09 AM

neato Lewy , most awesome looking country there. Just noticed your bicycle has disc brakes , very cool.

here in florida that would be 6" deep sugar sand.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:37 AM.