ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Bimble 01-20-2012 11:52 AM

:rofl

ducnut 01-20-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17788661)
Northern WI at that time of year is downright balmy compared to International Falls, MN in late January.

Screw 'em both. I'm struggling with ~35 degrees, this year. Must be getting old. :lol3

Mr Head 01-20-2012 01:18 PM

I haven't run all week let alone even looked at either bike. I bashed my ankle moving some stupidly huge furniture for my daughter. The ankle swelled up a little but seems to have finally settled down a little today. I noticed on my lunch time walk I wasn't limping for a change. It was a cold walk, that side of the building is in the shade and my hands got cold halfway back. :lol3
The weather said it was 37 this morning when I pulled out of the garage. Low 60's now. :vardy

This weekend is supposed to be wet and cold. I figure I'll see how the mountain bike works with the PNWet-weather gear if it pans out. If I can get out of here at a good time I'll try for a run tonight, just to see if I can wear myself out a little.

Gummee! 01-20-2012 03:30 PM

Well that ride fairly well sucked.

10min in and Ping! Huh?! WTF?! Broke a spoke on my training wheels.

Turned back around and swapped bikes.

Rode into a headwind for the first hour+ of the ride. Got sweaty. Sweaty = cold. ...and that's despite wearing two layers of wool! Thank doG I was wearing wool, or I'da been REALLY cold!

I was cold and tired, so at an indicated 1:36 I made the executive decision to cut the ride 'short.' I say indicated, cause the second computer didn't have the first 20min of the ride on it. Problem was... I was still an hour + away from home! (I shoulda done 3.5hrs, but only ended up getting in 3. :bluduh)

I think the 2hrs of riding in the AM then an hour of UW Hockey last nite conspired to make my legs just a leeetle bit too worked to let me make em do what I wanted to.

The last hour of riding was one of the worst in recent memory. :nod

I'm hoping the weather co-operates and I can do the 4hrs I'm supposed to do tomorrow. (assuming I can get my legs to go round and round s'more!)

M

Jim Moore 01-21-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 17670466)
1. Ride 3500 miles. (I started at 2370 on the bike computer).

Hey, I rode 100 miles this week! Hot damn!

fire_strom 01-21-2012 04:19 PM

WTB: Fatbike

Anyone have a medium fat bike laying around that they want to unload? I'm seeking.
G

Wadester 01-21-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire_strom (Post 17800814)
Anyone have a medium fat bike laying around that they want to unload? I'm seeking.
G

One on MTBR:http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ondition&cat=4

Askel 01-21-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

G

There may still be an 18" pugs here. There is an inmate who works there who may be able to help set you up with a deal.

There's also a 16" moonlander here. We just took a dude from the associated press out for a ride on it. :evil

ducnut 01-21-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

G

These guys did have ~20 of them in stock.

http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/w.../fatheader.jpg

Gummee! 01-22-2012 12:23 PM

~1:20 on the mtn bike. Explorating a park near the house. Looking for a place to put on a cyclocross stage race. I think I found it. :clap Now to get the county to agree. :fingerscrossed

...one of these days I'll learn to dress right. Came back soaked in sweat again today. :baldy Seems that 3 thin layers is too much. When I say thin, I'm talking darn near see-thru! Only thing that got cold were my toes. ...and if I'd thought about it, I woulda worn my heavier booties. But noooooo! I put the thin ones on. :norton

Hafta figger out the Friday night holeshot competition site. I've got the Saturday short course worked out in my head. Still need some tweaking of the Sunday long course. There's spots that aren't as nice as they could be...

M

zippy 01-22-2012 03:03 PM

http://dhmc.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/...ken-monkey.jpg

Good trail today at croom. First time on that section of blue trail. Found drunken monkey (as stated behind cow skull) . About 15 miles in all. A good Sunday morning.

Bimble 01-22-2012 03:29 PM

Dirt Bag!

No. Not you.

This.

I don't know if it will run this year, but a guy has to have goals, right? Why else would one spend hours and hours and hundreds of miles wandering around on dirt roads?

The date is also set for the Heck of the North.

Congrats on making the Rag roster, Askel. Those spring races are too early for me this year, but man am I stoked to get back out there! Re-watching Ride the Divide also threw another log or two on the fire. :lol3

I don't know what I will register for, but it is pretty good motivation to see one's name on a race roster. There is also laying down the work for next year's spring AGRS. Yeah, that's looking way far ahead for me. It is a nice change of habit. I've scrambled to get ready for too many events which is silly as we've had these nifty things called calendars for some time now. :lol3

Now to finish with winter.

:clap

Edit: Registration deadlines and reminders created for the Dirty Benjamin and the Heck.

Askel 01-22-2012 05:15 PM

Our Gentlemen's teammate Bruce ran the dirtbag this year. Said it was very, very fast. He had enough good things to say about it that I'm seriously considering entering that one as well.

The Heck has been one of my favorites for a long time. Great scenery improved by the fall colors.

And that new 29er wouldn't be completely inappropriate on the technical stuff on that race. :D

Bimble 01-22-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17808351)
Our Gentlemen's teammate Bruce ran the dirtbag this year. Said it was very, very fast. He had enough good things to say about it that I'm seriously considering entering that one as well.

The Heck has been one of my favorites for a long time. Great scenery improved by the fall colors.

And that new 29er wouldn't be completely inappropriate on the technical stuff on that race. :D

I had to laugh at myself after looking at the Dirt Bag. "Oh, its only 86 miles."

cheeky bastard I is. :thwak

:lol3

Technical sections... yeah, gonna spend some time working on bike handling skills this season.

:uhoh

I am pretty excited to put some miles on the new bike after comparing the weight of the 29er to the bike I did the last two hundos on.

The Heck and the Dirt Bag should be perfect and I can't think of a reason not to do them. Registration for the Dirty Benjamin begins February 1st. That will be a good sizer-upper of how I'm doing. Hey, just finish, right?

This is going to be fun. :D

Askel 01-22-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimble (Post 17808681)
Hey, just finish, right?

Hell, just start and you'd still be ahead of half the field of those that registered for something like the Royal 162 this year. :lol3

If you want to get some gravel training miles in up in the UP this summer, just give me a shout. As you know, we've got plenty of them. :D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:12 PM.