ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

RxZ 01-25-2012 02:04 PM

Well, since I am not that serious about riding, I'll keep it as it is. The only time the chain slips is under heavy loads in 1st or 2nd gear. Has done it since the day I bought it. I have taken it to two different shops (the one I bought it from, and a local independent guy) and they both said that was going to happen. I probably do shift too hard in general though, I hardly ever "let off" to shift.

Personally, my goal is to ride the heck out of it this summer, then in the fall upgrade to a better bike once I know my limitations, and the limitations of this bike. This bike is a few years old, and was rather cheap, though more expensive than Wal-Mart brands. That said, it gets me where I have been so far. Can't complain about that!

Gummee! 01-25-2012 02:15 PM

Broke another spoke today. Different wheel. :baldy

So I took it out and kept going for the rest of my hour ride. :ricky

M

ducnut 01-25-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxZ (Post 17832403)
The only time the chain slips is under heavy loads in 1st or 2nd gear. Has done it since the day I bought it. I have taken it to two different shops (the one I bought it from, and a local independent guy) and they both said that was going to happen.

Find another shop. I have two ideas as to what it could be, but, it's hard to diagnose something without seeing it. My MTB partner went through the same thing, with his bike. His LBS was clueless, too. He and I, finally, got it straightened out.....long story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxZ (Post 17832403)
I probably do shift too hard in general though, I hardly ever "let off" to shift.

Always let off the power, when shifting. It'll help prolong the life of components, especially the chain.

melville 01-25-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxZ (Post 17830358)
Quick question for those of you that know more than me (and I know next to nothing so just about any of you can answer this one). Do these sprockets look ok? I just cleaned up my MTB this past weekend, and looking at them I am just not sure. I think they have plenty of life left, but I don't want to end up walking either. Ignore the chain, I had cleaned the sprockets up pretty good at this point, but the chain is still in a state of neglect. It is much better now.

Front:
http://chriswinfield.smugmug.com/Oth...IMAG0267-L.jpg

I've been out of the biz a few years, but those look like steel rings to me, and they don't look individually replaceable. I doubt they are worn out in 200 miles, and I doubt you'd find replacing them economically viable.

manfromthestix 01-25-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladygodiva (Post 17830594)
:D

:clap Snake River Brew Pub

I was sitting at an outside table at the Snake River Brew Pub one afternoon with some friends, all muddy and bloody and whipped and grinning like idiots after a fantastic mountain bike ride up Cache Creek, down Game Creek (unfookingbelievable downhill section, on the pegs for miles and miles, top gear single track through the wild flowers), back to town on the bike path, something like 26 miles of stunning riding. A nicely dressed tour-on sat down at the table next to us and ordered a Bud Lite. The waitress looked at him with this incredulous look on her face and said, ummmm this is a brew pub, we don't sell Bud Lite. He looks exasperated and says well where the hell can I get one? Not here, dumbass LOUD over her shoulder as she walked away. EVERYONE sitting on the patio heard that :lol3. He's got world class locally brewed beer by the gallon all around him and this guy wants an aluminum can of horse piss, go figure.

I was working a job site about a block from SRBP and Fitzgerald Bicycles, supervising a crew drilling monitoring wells. I was taking some notes and looked up to see this GORGEOUS babe riding by on her red and black mountain bike, decked out in matching spandex and helmet with obligatory killer sunglasses and long ponytail, muscles rippling, looking as hot as you can imagine. The driller, the helper, and the geologist were just standing there with their mouths hanging open and heads pivoting to follow her, watching her go by... I started laughing and said hey, what's the problem, you guys don't have pretty girls where you're from? In unison they said,

NOT LIKE THAT, WE DON"T! :lol3

I miss that place.

Doug

Mr Head 01-25-2012 07:48 PM

Some folks are just not worthy,

Double Bastard Ale
http://www.arrogantbastard.com/images/bottle-dba.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfromthestix (Post 17834418)
I was sitting at an outside table at the Snake River Brew Pub one afternoon with some friends, all muddy and bloody and whipped and grinning like idiots after a fantastic mountain bike ride up Cache Creek, down Game Creek (unfookingbelievable downhill section, on the pegs for miles and miles, top gear single track through the wild flowers), back to town on the bike path, something like 26 miles of stunning riding. A nicely dressed tour-on sat down at the table next to us and ordered a Bud Lite. The waitress looked at him with this incredulous look on her face and said, ummmm this is a brew pub, we don't sell Bud Lite. He looks exasperated and says well where the hell can I get one? Not here, dumbass LOUD over her shoulder as she walked away. EVERYONE sitting on the patio heard that :lol3. He's got world class locally brewed beer by the gallon all around him and this guy wants an aluminum can of horse piss, go figure.

I was working a job site about a block from SRBP and Fitzgerald Bicycles, supervising a crew drilling monitoring wells. I was taking some notes and looked up to see this GORGEOUS babe riding by on her red and black mountain bike, decked out in matching spandex and helmet with obligatory killer sunglasses and long ponytail, muscles rippling, looking as hot as you can imagine. The driller, the helper, and the geologist were just standing there with their mouths hanging open and heads pivoting to follow her, watching her go by... I started laughing and said hey, what's the problem, you guys don't have pretty girls where you're from? In unison they said,

NOT LIKE THAT, WE DON"T! :lol3

I miss that place.

Doug

Askel 01-26-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfromthestix (Post 17834418)
A nicely dressed tour-on sat down at the table next to us and ordered a Bud Lite.

Screwing with beer snobs is one of life's simple pleasures.

Though I'm a miller man, myself. :freaky

manfromthestix 01-26-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17836337)
Screwing with beer snobs is one of life's simple pleasures.

Though I'm a miller man, myself. :freaky

I don't consider myself a beer snob, but certainly thought it was ignorant of the guy to sit down at a reknowned microbrewery and order a can of Bud. That would be like asking for a can of Coors while on a Budweiser brewery tour. I like Miller too, but not when I'm sitting at Devil's Backbone brewery, etc.

One last Jackson Hole note and story - in April of every year the National Park Service plows out the roads in Grand Teton NP and opens them to everything BUT cars. Even though there is usually four or five feet of snow on the ground the asphalt is dry, the scenery is simply stunning, and you can ride the entire park and never ever see a car. If you ever get a chance to be in JH during April you must experience this ride opportunity. (The NPS also plows out Yellowstone and opens it in April too, but accessing the good riding there is much more difficult because YNP is just so fooking HUGE.) One fine Spring day my son and I had ridden GTNP from the Granite Creek parking area (where there is a gate on the main road) to Jackson Lake Dam. On the way back we blazed around the turn onto North Jenny Lake road and came upon a big group of cyclists just stopped in the middle of the road. We screeched to a halt wondering WTF, did somebody crash?? Nope, they had stopped because standing in the middle of the road was the biggest, skinniest, hungriest-looking fresh-out-of-hibernation groggy black bear we had ever seen! He got tired of us gawking at him and loped off across the snow and we continued on our way. What a memory!

Doug

Gummee! 01-26-2012 05:51 AM

Had one of those 'gimme a Bud Light' moments at the brewpub just down the hill from Rocky Mtn Natl Park. :norton Uhhh yeah. We were sitting at the booth next to the idiot that ordered one.

Too bad they actually had it! :waysad

M

Mercury264 01-26-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 17837014)
Had one of those 'gimme a Bud Light' moments at the brewpub just down the hill from Rocky Mtn Natl Park. :norton Uhhh yeah. We were sitting at the booth next to the idiot that ordered one.

Too bad they actually had it! :waysad

M

I sure hope it was ice-cold since, well, that's about the only you can drink that piss.

Askel 01-26-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfromthestix (Post 17836631)
I don't consider myself a beer snob,

You probably should, "horsepiss in an aluminum can" is kinda judgemental sounding.

But I don't really know, I've never really had actual horsepiss. :dunno

:lol3

Mercury264 01-26-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17837213)
You probably should, "horsepiss in an aluminum can" is kinda judgemental sounding.

Au contraire Miller fan :freaky

Askel 01-26-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 17837403)
Au contraire Miller fan :freaky

To make such a claim, it would seem you would actually have to have consumed horse piss at some point.

I'm sure it was a fascinating and adventuresome experience, but you can probably spare us the details. :D

Mr Head 01-26-2012 07:07 AM

From what I've heard it is probably better ice cold.:rofl

When I traveled around Utah last summer I made a point to sample any local beers. Lots of good stuff.
I did the same in Seattle when I spent so much time up there. And I do still enjoy Coors, or Coors light once in a great while. In fact back in the day, Bill Coors himself poured me a glass off the line in the basement of the brewery once.:freaky

But, enough about all that...

I didn't get out on the bike last night, but I did join my two running loops into one big one. I saw maybe ten cyclists out and only me running.
In the dark. The only reasons I'm running is because of the dark. I do have lights for the bike, but the less than attentive commuter traffic is more easily dealt with on foot. I like being behind a concrete wall or having at a minimum a 10 inch curb between me and the careening SUV.

On the steep part of the hill a bicycle came by. I did not have it in my legs to keep up with them or run them down once they past me. The weird part was they turned around at the top and went back down the way they came. The road loops up there. The really odd part of that is that going back down there are speed bumps and stop signs. Continuing on there aren't any speed bumps and only one stop sign. :huh
The tape,
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/runs/3614305/embed/cff06d7e4565fa457f2859e6abead9cb1dce6927'></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17837213)

Gummee! 01-27-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 17827003)
Go figure... I guess the time off the bike was good for me. I'll do the two more ride on the same and then, taper off and do slower miles as I prepare for the 300 km brevet on 2/4.....assuming my riding partner does the ride. If he doesn't, I'm not sure I'll make the attempt. We'll see.

I do the 'build 3 weeks and take an easy week' schedule. I'm at the end of an easy week today. Actually, this last bit was more like 'I've been riding since the second week of Dec without a week off and I'm tired.' The 3-4 week break I was supposed to have wasn't. Kept riding cause the weather was so freakishly nice. :nod

Legs feel better. I'm not fantasizing about running. Aaaahhhh relaxation!

Next week, tempo rides start. Soon after intervals and sprints.

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:48 PM.