ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Bimble 02-15-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 17942641)
I'd consider buying a set of 29er wheels.... :evil

Seriously, SS and 29" wheels is a magic combo that works really well.

But 26" is still fun, and if you got the parts- shoot, there must be tons of frames just sitting around as everybody is in the mad rush to get away from those horribly uncool 26" non-fat bikes. :lol3

Guitar Ted is of like mind.

:jose

Can a fat bike be far behind? Will resolve soon fail in the face of Nately knobbiness?

Will I burst into flames of bike-prettiness?

Enough! or too much.

Clearly.

:rofl

markjenn 02-15-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisenhallw (Post 17994539)
What are people's thoughts on reusing spokes?

I just did my first wheel rebuild re-using spokes. No issues and the wheel trued up fine and seems to be holding up well. My local shop wanted $1.10 per spoke, so new spokes would have me investing nearly $90 in spokes (w/tax), way beyond what the old bike merited.

To avoid a spoke head being forced to take a different bend at the hub flange, I think it is a good idea to keep track of whether the spokes were head-in or head-out on the flange and return them to that same position in the new wheel. And since you probably have two spoke lengths in the back, you would have four groups of spokes in the back. If you didn't keep track, I'd segregate them by how much the head end is bent.

The suggestions to use tape to keep the lacing pattern intact is good, but I was rebuilding the wheel not to replace the rim, but to rejuvenate the hubs which had a lot of surface corrosion and required some serious time on the buffing wheel.

I did not reuse the nipples. My local shop doesn't normally sell nipples by themselves, but let me have brass ones for $0.10/each which I thought was reasonable.

- Mark

Gummee! 02-15-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markjenn (Post 17996865)
I just did my first wheel rebuild re-using spokes. No issues and the wheel trued up fine and seems to be holding up well. My local shop wanted $1.10 per spoke, so new spokes would have me investing nearly $90 in spokes (w/tax), way beyond what the old bike merited.

To avoid a spoke head being forced to take a different bend at the hub flange, I think it is a good idea to keep track of whether the spokes were head-in or head-out on the flange and return them to that same position in the new wheel. And since you probably have two spoke lengths in the back, you would have four groups of spokes in the back. If you didn't keep track, I'd segregate them by how much the head end is bent.

The suggestions to use tape to keep the lacing pattern intact is good, but I was rebuilding the wheel not to replace the rim, but to rejuvenate the hubs which had a lot of surface corrosion and required some serious time on the buffing wheel.

I did not reuse the nipples. My local shop doesn't normally sell nipples by themselves, but let me have brass ones for $0.10/each which I thought was reasonable.

- Mark

I can't tell you how many wheels I've re-rimmed using the same spokes and nipples. :dunno Works just fine. Best is when you're transferring rims. Next best is keeping the spokes oriented the same way. Next is random.

Somewhere in the middle is re-using a hub. (get it?!) There's 2 schools of thought on that too. One sez its best is re-lace in the same pattern as it was last time. The other's a 'screw it and do it the other way.' I've done both. Doesn't seem to matter. :dunno

M

pierce 02-15-2012 11:01 PM

what about the modern flat spoke low-count high tension stuff? that's reusable to?

Aurelius 02-16-2012 05:51 AM

Protein bars?

Anybody here have a good source for protein bars? The ones sold in bike shops seem ridiculously overpriced, and I've been warned that most of what you find in grocery stores are loaded with sugar and other nasty stuff one should avoid.

:ear

Gummee! 02-16-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18000359)
Anybody here have a good source for protein bars? The ones sold in bike shops seem ridiculously overpriced, and I've been warned that most of what you find in grocery stores are loaded with sugar and other nasty stuff one should avoid.

I haven't bought a 'bar' in a long time. Been riding with fig newtons, peanut butter crackers, and bananas. :dunno Anything under 90min I stick to straight water in the bottles. 90min + it all depends on how far I'm going past that 90min. 2hrs? water. 3hrs+ Gatorade There's a bunch of good recipes online for DIYing.

AFA high-tensioned spokes: I haven't tried it. :dunno I'd say as long as you de-tensioned things properly and re-tensioned properly, there shouldn't be any problem.

M

ducnut 02-16-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18000359)

Kashi Go Lean bars are really good stuff. I've not eaten anything else, since trying them. They're ~150-200 calories, depending on which bar and use brown rice syrup and cane juice for sweetener (much healthier than sugar). They make Clif bars taste like cardboard. I watch for them to come on sale at Wal-Mart or Kroger, usually at a $1 a piece.

Aurelius 02-16-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18000560)
I haven't bought a 'bar' in a long time. Been riding with fig newtons, peanut butter crackers, and bananas. :dunno Anything under 90min I stick to straight water in the bottles. 90min + it all depends on how far I'm going past that 90min. 2hrs? water. 3hrs+ Gatorade There's a bunch of good recipes online for DIYing.
M

Those things are good for restoring energy and re-hydrating, but I'm trying to build back the muscle tissue I had on my left leg before my accident, and for that I need protein.

Gummee! 02-16-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18000667)
Those things are good for restoring energy and re-hydrating, but I'm trying to build back the muscle tissue I had on my left leg before my accident, and for that I need protein.

There's better ways to get protein than buying a bar.

Just sayin

M

Aurelius 02-16-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 18000577)
Kashi Go Lean bars are really good stuff. I've not eaten anything else, since trying them. They're ~150-200 calories, depending on which bar and use brown rice syrup and cane juice for sweetener (much healthier than sugar). They make Clif bars taste like cardboard. I watch for them to come on sale at Wal-Mart or Kroger, usually at a $1 a piece.

Cool. :thumb The bike store and my gym sell protein bars for around $3.00, so it looks like I'll be paying Wal-Mart a visit.

Oznerol 02-16-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Fish, eggs, lean meat, etc. Bars don't strike me as an effective (much less cost-effective) protein source for building muscle.

When I was lifting weights and trying to build muscle mass I found some benefit from a post-workout whey protein shake; You can find huge canisters of the powders online or at places like GNC. I'm guessing it comes out cheaper than bars, and I always found a shake a hell of a lot more palatable than any protein bar I've ever tried.

But the foundation was still protein-rich real food.

zippy 02-16-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Ensure Muscle Health for protein. While on the bike I like Stinger Honey waffles.

ducnut 02-16-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18000706)
Cool. :thumb The bike store and my gym sell protein bars for around $3.00, so it looks like I'll be paying Wal-Mart a visit.

If you go to Kashi's bar menu here and pic on "nutrition facts", for the bar you're interested in, you can see the ingredient list and whatnot. I eat the Original, Roll, and Crunchy bars. The Originals are sorta' like a firm 3 Muskateers. The Crunchy are like a Rice Krispy treat. And, the Roll are just like a nut roll (rock hard to eat in the winter). The PB & Chocolate Originals are to die for. :wink:

Aurelius 02-16-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol (Post 18000880)
Fish, eggs, lean meat, etc. Bars don't strike me as an effective (much less cost-effective) protein source for building muscle.

When I was lifting weights and trying to build muscle mass I found some benefit from a post-workout whey protein shake; You can find huge canisters of the powders online or at places like GNC. I'm guessing it comes out cheaper than bars, and I always found a shake a hell of a lot more palatable than any protein bar I've ever tried.

But the foundation was still protein-rich real food.

I know what you're saying, but I've been told by a number of sources that in order to maximize muscle growth, the protein must be ingested immediately after the workout. Since I usually finish my ride between lunch and dinner, taking along a protein bar is one of the few options open to me.

rbrsddn 02-16-2012 07:53 AM

Some of the guys I ride with on longer rides, bring along Beef Jerky. It will give you the protien you need. and give you the sodium that you lose through sweat!:deal

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:57 AM.