ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Aurelius 02-21-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18037786)
According to the weather guessers, its supposed to be in the 60s here tomorrow and Thurs. :clap

In Feb!

My goodness, that is unusually cold for this time of year. :evil

Aurelius 02-21-2012 08:03 AM

Bicycling and cops

On occasion when I've been out cycling, I've left my wallet in the car or at home. There's no law in FL requiring anyone to carry ID with them at all times, so I wonder what would happen if a cop stopped me for running a stop sign on one of those occasions when I had no ID with me. Anyone have that happen?

ducnut 02-21-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18038271)
On occasion when I've been out cycling, I've left my wallet in the car or at home. There's no law in FL requiring anyone to carry ID with them at all times, so I wonder what would happen if a cop stopped me for running a stop sign on one of those occasions when I had no ID with me. Anyone have that happen?

Since you're operating a vehicle that has to abide by the rules of the road, I'd think you'd be required to carry some sort of ID. You might check with the local PD or FSP.

I never leave without a license, emergency contact info, cash, and credit card.

Aurelius 02-21-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 18038353)
Since you're operating a vehicle that has to abide by the rules of the road, I'd think you'd be required to carry some sort of ID. You might check with the local PD or FSP.

I agree that it's wise to carry ID (especially if I go any significant distance), but I just wondered how police deal with such cases. There are for example loads of kids riding bicycles on public streets, and I seriously doubt they carry any form of ID. :dunno

TheYeti 02-21-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18038271)

I ran a stopsign back in the early seventies.Cop gave me a ticket ,demaded my drivers licence,My argument of not needing a licence to ride a bike fell on deaf ears.

This is True in most if not all states,A bicycle is a vehicle and such, is required to obey the traffic laws. Now having said that .Most LEO's don't know the laws pretainting to Bikes. I've been told more than a few times I should be riding on sidewalk,or in the gutter.most states allow 2-3 ft from edge of roadway,or what is safe for the rider.

Bimble 02-21-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 18038353)

Werd. If anything were to happen...

Minnesota Statutes 2005, Table of Chapters

Table of contents for Chapter 169

169.222 Operation of bicycle.

Subdivision 1. Traffic laws apply. Every person
operating a bicycle shall have all of the rights and duties
applicable to the driver of any other vehicle by this chapter,
except in respect to those provisions in this chapter relating
expressly to bicycles and in respect to those provisions of this
chapter which by their nature cannot reasonably be applied to
bicycles.

Nothing else in the law says that you do not have to carry a driver's license. But I am left wondering about bicyclists under the age at which the could have a license? I think prudence would dictate a state photo ID, but the law ain't real clear.

Gummee! 02-21-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisenhallw (Post 18037842)
I am *definitely* getting out on the roads early this afternoon.

Just got back. 90min

Its colder out there than I'd dressed for. :vardy Oh well. Its still better'n 20-30f!

M

blackfriar 02-21-2012 11:13 AM

I missed out on a few chances to ride over the last month or so. If we get another break here I am going to get out. Like others have said, it's pretty rare to be able to ride in February up here.

Chisenhallw 02-21-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18039468)
Just got back. 90min

Its colder out there than I'd dressed for. :vardy Oh well. Its still better'n 20-30f!

M

Me too. :huh I think I earned that tailwind today. Wind came from every direction *but* behind me.

Gummee! 02-21-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisenhallw (Post 18040836)
Me too. :huh I think I earned that tailwind today. Wind came from every direction *but* behind me.

I actually had something of a tailwind in spots. Mostly a side-headwind tho.

S'OK, I wasn't tryin to push. Still managed to get up over 50kph (downhill with a tailwind) for a bit.

:ricky

M

Aurelius 02-22-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisenhallw (Post 18040836)

On Sunday, we had 30 mph winds with up to 45 mph gusts in my area. Going through open areas surrounded by lakes and golf courses was brutal. I was blown all over the road and at one point had to lean hard into the wind just to travel in a straight line. I haven't experienced anything like that since I rode my motorcycle through the tail end of hurricane Charley back in '04. :muutt

Gummee! 02-22-2012 10:50 AM

Who was it lookin for a Fargo?

M

PMC 02-22-2012 11:55 AM

Anyone looking for a Fargo frameset in the Minneapolis area shoot me an message.
I've got a version 1 in Large that has seen limited use and will be looking for a new home this spring.
ADV discounted price :evil

Gaston Gagne 02-22-2012 06:04 PM

Speaking of winds, we had some nuking winds Monday (opening doors inside the school were I work) and Tuesday. The trails are nuked :cry :cry. Instead of biking, we will be hiking with saws. The shade is great in the summer.

Gummee! 02-23-2012 08:10 AM

Just went out on the Roubaix for the first time in months.

Nice riding bike.

Found a good power position. :clap

Too bad its for sale!

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:43 PM.