ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Aurelius 03-01-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 18105125)
Bacchetta is based in FL and that's where Sebring is held also. Maybe rather than basing an opinion on some outdated sterotype, stop by Bacchetta for a ride or attend the race next year.

I haven't been riding long enough to pick up any outdated stereotypes, but there's always time. :D

Quote:

Edit: you might enjoy this from a friend of mine: http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/wh...ecumbent-bike/

FWIW, Susan is well into her 60's and she did something like 189 miles in 12 hrs at "Calvin Challenge". I did a 200-km brevet with her a few weeks ago ... good rider. After that, she did two more days of riding!
Thanks, interesting reading. Not sure there's going to be one in my future, since I enjoy short rides much more than grueling distance marathons, but it's interesting as a design concept. There are a number of vids on YouTube of specially built high speed cycles, and all of them seem to follow the recumbent design. I assumed this was because having the riders lie flat would make them even more aerodynamic.

zippy 03-01-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18101107)
I'm still undecided as to whether I actually need a FS. Riders around here tell me a HT will do just fine for the terrain we have here in Florida.

I got a FS aluminum Santa Cruz. Already have a hardtail and prefer the FS for trail riding. The FS weighs about 30lbs but that isn't an issue when riding. Most trails have gnarly palmetto roots and rocks. I like the cush ride of the FS. No issues when climbing either.
It came with 2.5 width tires and thus far no problems. I got the FS figuring better to have it and not need all 6" of travel. I have not regretted my purchase.

PMC 03-01-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18105045)
Why would someone in excellent health prefer a recumbent over a regular bicycle? Around here, only very old people ride them.

For distance events (that allow them) there is a significant aero advantage to some of the Bents. Less power more speed, simple as that.

You like going fast right? you'd probably love the speed you could maintain on a bent.

Aurelius 03-01-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 18108076)
I got a FS aluminum Santa Cruz. Already have a hardtail and prefer the FS for trail riding. The FS weighs about 30lbs but that isn't an issue when riding. Most trails have gnarly palmetto roots and rocks. I like the cush ride of the FS. No issues when climbing either.
It came with 2.5 width tires and thus far no problems. I got the FS figuring better to have it and not need all 6" of travel. I have not regretted my purchase.

Thanks for your input. Based on what you and others are telling me, I'm going to narrow my search to a FS. Maybe even a CF framed one, but if the price is ridiculously high I'll go with AL.

Gummee! 03-01-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18108286)
Thanks for your input. Based on what you and others are telling me, I'm going to narrow my search to a FS. Maybe even a CF framed one, but if the price is ridiculously high I'll go with AL.

IME anything under about $1200 (new) in a FS bike is just about worthless off-road.

Used is a different story.

If you're interested, a buddy of mine has an S-Works FS 29er he's thinking of selling. Large frame. 2x10.

M

Aurelius 03-01-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18108337)
IME anything under about $1200 (new) in a FS bike is just about worthless off-road.

Used is a different story.

If you're interested, a buddy of mine has an S-Works FS 29er he's thinking of selling. Large frame. 2x10.

M

I'm not sure what size frame would fit me. I'm 6'-0" tall with a 32" inseam, if that tells you anything.

Gummee! 03-01-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18108388)
I'm not sure what size frame would fit me. I'm 6'-0" tall with a 32" inseam, if that tells you anything.

Yer pretty squarely a Large or 18/19" mtn bike

PM Ricky. See what he's got for sale. He's got something like 25-26 bikes left for sale.

M

ducnut 03-01-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 18108076)
Most trails have gnarly palmetto roots

I was surprised to see those roots, down there. I'd say, the way they grow or end up exposed is worse than our tree roots up here.

Quote:

:tb

Gummee! 03-01-2012 07:00 AM

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...32446812_n.jpg

Not a new problem...

M

Aurelius 03-01-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

M

Any idea what he wants for it? :ear

Gummee! 03-01-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18108793)
Any idea what he wants for it? :ear

Nope. I can ask.

Plan on north of $6k tho. If it comes in less, it'll be an even better bargain!

M

Aurelius 03-01-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18108802)
Nope. I can ask.

Plan on north of $6k tho.

:eek1 I think I'd better hold off on that until I do some offroading and decide whether it's really for me. I've still got an old Motobecane 600DS that I could try out. All I need to do is swap out the street tires for a set of knobbies.

k7 03-01-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 18105991)

What's the reasoning behind that design vs what you have?

I'm not an expert but I suspect it has to do with a shorter drivetrain and a design that allows for much better climbing.

On mine, the design isn't built to pull hard on the handlebars:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/bdded48e.jpg

The fastest guys on these almost lift their butts out of the seat using their legs and backs to generate the power.

but on the Cruzbike, the handlebar is pretty much straight-lined to the crankset:

http://bentrideronline.com/wordpress...926-115751.jpg

I love riding again - I have a bad neck which put me out of cycling since 1994. I made an effort with the Fargo last year. It was a good and hard effort but after 30 miles, I was done.

Since I had committed to Ragbrai, it was either a recumbent or give up cycling for good. To me, it'll never be a recumbent v DF argument either - ride what you want and have fun!

There's pros and cons to each design which really has nothing to do with the health of a rider either. You can see from the times above, you can be extremely fast and comfortable on a recumbent, healthy neck/back or not. I also have no doubt that a fast recumbent rider would likely be fast and competitive on a DF - just not as comfortable.

I see the "fitted" bike argument all the time also! My Mercian fit me like a glove yet after a double-century decades ago, I still hurt much, much worse than after a longish ride on the recumbent. I do a few larger rides here - when we stop, the DF riders are stretching, rubbing their asses and picking at their laundry. I only get off the bike if I'm hitting the head or grabbing a bike to eat!

Downhill, I have a huge advantage on most riders. Flat - I have a slight advantage on most riders. Uphills, I'm slow but I'm slowly getting to the point where I can catch others on the next downhill. They aren't getting that far away from me. I stay away from organized pacelines - They're carrying a little faster pace than I generally want to carry, I don't want to mess them up and I know I'm not always welcomed. That's cool - doesn't bother me.

Where am I now? I can do a century easy. 200-km brevets are a breeze. 300-km are longer - I've only done one but I had a lot left after that particular one. Next up is a 400-km event and then a 600-km one in April.

It's hard for me not to express how much I love cycling again.I can do the long miles and be somewhat comfortable - as comfortable as one can be exerting a physical effort for 8-10-15-20-30+ hours in a row!

If I had a good neck, would I be where I am today? Maybe, maybe not. It's hard for me - and I suspect a lot of people - to imagine riding a regular bike for that many hours. Clearly, a lot of people are successful at it...I just don't think I'd be one of them. Comfort for me allowed me to morph into long distance riding - without this level of comfort, I don't think I would have developed in this particular direction.

Here's a history of recumbents if you're interested - linky. From that site, does this look somewhat similar to one of the bikes above?!

http://www.cyclegenius.com/images/faure.jpg

Mercury264 03-01-2012 08:49 AM

^ Great post Gerry :clap

Aurelius 03-01-2012 09:04 AM

http://www.cyclegenius.com/images/faure.jpg

I wonder why these didn't become more commonplace over the years. I've been bicycling since the early 70's, and I never saw a recumbent until last year, when I started riding on the local bike trails. I don't see them for sale in the bike shops in this area either.

From a bio-mechanical standpoint, you'd be using a lot more quadriceps on each stroke than you would on a regular road bicycle. Based on my weight lifting experience, the posture shown above should allow you to put a lot more power into each stroke, providing you can prevent your torso from sliding up the backrest. If it could be fitted with shoulder straps to hold the pilot in place, I would think it would be extremely fast in a sprint race.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:58 AM.