ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Oznerol 03-01-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 18111174)
Once you go bibs, you will have a hard time going back to shorts.

Didn't work out that way for me; I tried a couple of different pairs of bibs, and didn't find them to be a clear improvement over shorts. The waistband on regular shorts doesn't bother me that much (even on all-day rides), and meanwhile, the extra fabric coverage of the bibs makes it slightly tougher to keep cool on hot days.

But given how many people say they prefer bibs, they're definitely worth trying.

Chisenhallw 03-01-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtGrlll (Post 18111167)

EUGH! How sad that you own those bikes! Send them to me and I will make sure you never have to lay eyes on them again. :deal:lol3

mud 03-01-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol (Post 18112147)
Didn't work out that way for me; I tried a couple of different pairs of bibs, and didn't find them to be a clear improvement over shorts. The waistband on regular shorts doesn't bother me that much (even on all-day rides), and meanwhile, the extra fabric coverage of the bibs makes it slightly tougher to keep cool on hot days.

But given how many people say they prefer bibs, they're definitely worth trying.

AND, if you have a rather long torso, the straps can dig into your shoulders. I know of a few with that issue.

gearguywb 03-01-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 18110039)
I'm in the market for some new shorts. I have worn my Pearl Izumi shorts out but they've been very good to me so I know I want good quality shorts.

Any suggestions ?

What's the scoop with bib shorts - what do they give you ordinary shorts don't ?

Cheers
:freaky

Buy the best you can afford. A sore taint/nether regions ruins a ride every time.

Gummee! 03-02-2012 06:25 AM

Since its supposed to rain tomorrow, I got talked into doing a longer ride today. 3+ hrs down to Criglersville from Culpeper is on tap. Lots of up and down and up and down and up and down...

M

ducnut 03-02-2012 08:09 AM

Ahhh, the difference is clear, now. The Cruz has a straight-line of power transfer. It seems having one's butt in one place and one's hands and feet pivoting in another place would feel wonky. Probably something one would get used to, but, I think I'd rather have everything in line. Seems like less of a learning curve. I think the Bacchetta looks cleaner, too. Hell, just realized the drivetrain is in the front wheel of the Cruz. :lol3

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 18109649)
Let me give everyone a heads-up: This year's RAAM will be exciting.

They come through IL, just south of me. They always look beat, by the time they get here.

Just received my DVD copies of Race Across America and Bicycle Dreams, both are films by Stephen Auerbach. I'll get to them, this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 18110039)
Any suggestions ?

What's the scoop with bib shorts - what do they give you ordinary shorts don't ?

Different strokes for different folks.

I've got Pearl, Craft, Voler, and had Bellwether. For me, which seat I was riding made a huge difference in how the bibs felt. For me, thinner is better, as a whole. I hated my Bellwethers, when riding a padded saddle, but, loved them on my Brooks. I actually wore a hole through the chamois of them. They don't make those bibs anymore, so I started wearing my Voler bibs. In general, I find my Craft stuff to be much higher quality construction than any of the others. Although the media, shops, and forums would have one believe that Pearl is the end-all-be-all, I beg to differ. I think gear is so personal that you'll have to hit the local shops, REI, Scheel Sports, and whatnot to get a feel for them.

I prefer bibs over shorts for the fact that I don't have to fiddle with them during a ride. However, they do restrict airflow to the torso. My GF, on the other hand, prefers shorts, as they're easier for her to pull down for roadside relief. :wink:

ducnut 03-02-2012 08:10 AM

Dungeon or bat cave? :evil

DirtGrlll 03-02-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 18117120)
Dungeon or bat cave? :evil

why it's a GRLLL cave, of course!

:hide :D

ducnut 03-02-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtGrlll (Post 18118355)
why it's a GRLLL cave, of course!

Got it! :thumb

Aurelius 03-02-2012 02:01 PM

So, I just got back from my first off-road excursion. Man, was that ever tiring. Not tiring like riding for hours on my road bike, but more like a hard workout at the gym, pushing my muscles to failure on every set. I thought I was gonna puke at one point. Maybe that Chinese fast food for lunch was a mistake. :puke1

DirtGrlll 03-02-2012 03:37 PM

The Brown Santa came, the Brown Santa came, a day earlier than estimated! :happay(hey y'all, keep this PG rated :lol3)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...0727350750.jpg

This means all that is left is to get the pedals off the Epic (which is...hopefully...only going to require a new set of tools) and can proceed with the stem, bar, and grip replacement on the RFX. Riding conditions look to be super sucky this weekend, so hopefully the re-builds will be complete and conditions will cooperate to get out on the trails next weekend. Woot, woot, woot! :rayof

Gummee! 03-02-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtGrlll (Post 18120709)
The Brown Santa came, the Brown Santa came, a day earlier than estimated! :happay(hey y'all, keep this PG rated :lol3)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...0727350750.jpg

This means all that is left is to get the pedals off the Epic (which is...hopefully...only going to require a new set of tools) and can proceed with the stem, bar, and grip replacement on the RFX. Riding conditions look to be super sucky this weekend, so hopefully the re-builds will be complete and conditions will cooperate to get out on the trails next weekend. Woot, woot, woot! :rayof

Pedals off = 6mm allen, or a 8mm allen, or a 15mm open-end wrench. Turn towards the back of the bike *on both sides*

I was out this AM. Txted my buddy 'hey! let's go to Criglersville!'

No. Its gonna rain.

No it won't!

So went to Criglersville and back to Culpeper. ...and yeah, it rained. Got sprinkled on for about 30min then rained on for the last 30min. I swear I got wetter from the spray coming off my wheels than I did from the rain!

Last 20min of the ride I basically couldn't feel my legs any more. :eek1 Good thing cause I was pretty well worked by then.

55mi in 3:21 over 4500' of climbing. Not stopping and smelling the roses!

M

Gummee! 03-02-2012 07:20 PM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/6...dc0e9000_z.jpg
Yeah. Its raining.

M

overlandr 03-02-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 3216850)
old school is lugged steel (reynolds 531 or columbus), campi N.R. or S.R gruppe, brooks leather seat, etc etc.

mid/late 70s is the cuttoff. :deal

crying shame you can't get replacement 5-speed freewheel clusters anymore...

They were kicking out Dura-Ace in the 70's don't forget. Are you trying to say that yr def of O/School is - no japs bits?

melville 03-02-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlandr (Post 18123253)
They were kicking out Dura-Ace in the 70's don't forget. Are you trying to say that yr def of O/School is - no japs bits?

No one used DA in the 70s. 80s and later, OK.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:23 AM.